- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

12.23.2132 - Investigation

Started by Johan, June 19, 2008, 11:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Lunch at the cafeteria was never truly satisfying, but it was Temmit's favorite price: free. He had filled his over-sized ceramic stein with coffee before heading back out into the winter streets and made his way to the Marks' Tavern. Hopefully Leslie would be there, and if not, Mr. Marks might know where the little sprite had gotten off to.

He entered the inn, but there was no one in the main lobby, where guests and tenents rented the rooms of the inn. He turned to the right and passed through the narrow swinging doors and into the tavern. He cast about for Leslie, preferrably, but failing that, for Mr. Marks.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

Being the dead of winter, the Riverfront hot spot wasn't as hopping as it typically was in the warmer seasons. Only a few quiet patrons, getting a drink after a late lunch or before an early dinner, were sitting about.

Leslie wasn't spotted, but her mother Pamela had just turned about from a customer at a booth and spotted Temmit.

"Heyas dear, how you doing me boy?" she said, waving him over to the bar as she walked behind it.

Mrs. Marks was probably the most kind-hearted woman Temmit knew. A bit short and plump, those who didn't know her would be surprised at the strength, endurance and speed of the woman. She had four children by Mr. Marks, but Temmit always thought she considered many in Whisper as her own.

As Temmit half-sat on a bar stool she took his stein without a word and spilled the horrid cafeteria coffee from it, pouring in her own special dark roast that she knew he loved. The routine was so familiar to Temmit's, his mind barely recorded it.

Johan

"Thank you, Mrs. Marks." Temmit said respectfully. "How's things here? Quiet, it looks." He took a draught from his cup, and Mrs. Marks knew from the glaze that developed over his eyes that her coffee set him right.

Dray

"Well, things be as quiet as what normally are this time of year." Mrs. Marks replied with a smile as she started to wipe down some glasses.

"How 'bout you dear? Anything bring you down to the River besides my dark roast?"

Johan

Temmit smiled fondly at Mrs. Marks. "A-ya." He said. "I'm actually in search of Leslie. Any idea where she's hiding?"

Dray

Pamela smiled and replied, "Leslie is where she always is during the slow months of winter, her nose in a book at the Library."

"Thanks Mrs. Marks...and thanks for the coffee," Temmit replied. He stood up off the bar stool, and knowing she would refuse coin for the coffee, made his way to leave with a polite nod.

"Might I burden you with one favor Young Master," Mrs. Marks asked while stopping her hands from their work and leaning her elbows on the bar.

"Of course Mrs. Marks, anything," Temmit replied sincerely.

"Well, I know that the work that you kids[/i] do is really important, and I don't want Leslie shirking in her duties in that regard. However..." Mrs. Marks waited for Temmit to lean in a bit closer, her words a queue that she intended to speak closely on Whisper matters.

"...if you could just reign in Leslie a bit for me. She seems to be sneaking out every single night now, to go off to do important work, but nevertheless I am afraid for her safety." Pamela added.

Johan

Temmit sobered and looked at Mrs. Marks squarely. "Aye, Mrs. Marks." He answered. "I'll look after her as though she was my very own kin. She certainly needs a night off or two. Perhaps three, even."

He smiled reassuringly at Mrs. Marks, and stood straight, on his way to the library.

Dray

He heard her say "Thanks Young Master", as he walked out the door.

Once outside, Temmit found the day once again returning to blistery cold. The wind had picked up considerably, and although it wasn't snowing, the small crystals of snow that the wind picked up made the walk just as unpleasant as any storm.

He reached the main road and walked up the western edge of the city's valley, finally passing the gates of the School District and beyond. He had never been so happy to see the Library's entrance in his entire life.

Beyond the tall ancient pine doors he entered the massive foyer and warmed up by one of the pair of roaring fireplace guardians. The blazing heat from the bonfires in each fireplace kept the foyer relatively warm as they battled against the cold just beyond the entry doors. After a few turns, he was finally warm enough to take off his jacket and cold-weather gear, hanging the items on one of the hundreds of wall-pegs created for the exact purpose. He then passed another set of double doors and proceeded down the main hall.

The Library in the School District was the central location of all knowledge known to the Kingdom in it's two millennia history. It was therefore by necessity, a very large place. But this wasn't the first time Temmit had to track the young girl in the place, and he had a hunch where she might be in the building.

Walking by archways on the left and right of the main hall, each one leading to a room holding a specific category of information, he finally reached "Ancient History". He paused, listened, and then quietly turned right into the room.

And there she was as expected.

At one of the many long ancient pine tables, Leslie sat alone, completely immersed in a book larger than her. On the table she was surrounded by enough books that she could easily consider the wall of parchment and paper to be a fortification. To her left, a tiny hooded lantern assisted her as she read. There were only a few other students in the large room, and Temmit knew that none were within ear shot if he decided to whisper to her.

As usual, the little girl didn't even notice his entry, and Temmit knew she wouldn't know of his existence here until he actually announced his presence, so engrossed was she in her story.

Johan

Temmit felt oddly out of place for a few moments. He wasn't sure how to approach. He didn't want to cause Leslie any undue start, and thus create one of those characteristically girlish 'yelps' that echoed in the library.

Problem was, he couldn't think of a way to avoid it.

"Just jab her in the ribs and be done with it." Smokey urged.

Temmit laughed, his slight grunt punctuated the silence of the hall nicely.

He moved closer, being sure to drag his feet slightly and clomp them a bit. "Found you at last." He said as he approached her table.

Dray

The girl still jumped, but luckily she hiccupped at the same time, stifling her yelp. After she recovered she looked up at him and smiled. Then looked around as though she had forgotten where she was.

Stretching her arms over her head she finally asked, "Hello Temmit, what..." hiccup[/i] "brings you hear?"

Johan

"You do." He answered matter-of-factly.

"I have been meaning to ask a question or two of you; unfortunately I've had an extraordinarily busy weekend." He pulled out a chair next to her, nestled among the tomes, and sat in it.

"How did you manage to filch that diary?" He asked her flatly.

Dray

"Which diary?" she asked, but then quickly followed with, "the Outlands Patrol journal?"

hiccup[/i]

"Excuse me," she said and put her hand over her mouth.

Johan

Temmit merely raised an eyebrow and continued to watch her.

"Yes." He said at length. "That one."

Dray

"Oh. Well I...didn't Renee tell you?" she asked, a very fine and blonde brow raised up.

Johan

"Would I be asking if she did?" He countered. He wondered how well she played chess.