Author Topic: You don't say  (Read 4265 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
Sayer studied Laren as the halfling spoke.  Sayer had not known him for very long, but had noticed how alert Laren seemed.  He was always watchful, scanning the faces of those on the street or in a tavern.

Sayer rose, adjusting his sleeves so that they once again rested against his wrists.  "Instead of eating, I believe my time would be better spent in preparation," he said softly.  "You know my room."

Sayer turned to leave.

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2006, 07:05:17 PM »
"Well..." Laren looked around the room. "I'm not exactly busy," he said with a shrug.

"Why don't you have something to eat and unwind a bit. You let me know when you are ready."

Laren hated to feel like an imposition.
=]V[=

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »
Sayer was silent as he analyzed the question.  Laren had phrased the question in such a way that he did not want to hear options for an optimal solution to the problem -- he wanted to hear the consequences for the solution that he had already chosen.

"I am willing to do so," Sayer responded at length.  "I have a reading table in my room.  Upon your wish, we may go there for counsel."

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 12:03:36 PM »
Laren's face revealed little, though he did let a little bit of a look of defeat shine through. He'd had just about enough of all the secrecy. He did keep his voice down though.

"Here's the thing," he started. "I've got an ... item... of magical origin. Well no, that's not right. Not magical... Psionic, I guess. From what I understand, when it is touched, it becomes ... linked somehow to that person."

Laren watched Sayer's face to try to read his thoughts, but the man only looked interested.

"This item is sought after by folks who would do harm to whomever stands in their way. Now, in order to keep it from them, I was thinking that things might be better if said item were ... destroyed."

Again Laren watched for a visible reaction. Still nothing readable.

"... So I guess I was just wondering if you could tell how something like that might work out for me."
=]V[=

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2006, 01:10:22 AM »
Sayer made a small effort to conceal his smile.  He leaned forward and lowered his voice.  "A person who knowingly undertakes a venture filled with risk already knows if it is a good idea."

Sayer sat upright and regarded Laren silently for a moment.  His years in court had taught Sayer to analyze the motive of such questions: a person asking about "someone else" typically meant themself.  His years of diplomacy also taught him tact.  Sayer leaned forward again and smiled reassuringly.  "If such an individual requested advice on how to minimize the risk of a task," Sayer continued, "then advice may be provided without knowing details on the venture."  Sayer nodded.

Years of court also taught Sayer how to manipulate and draw information from people.  "How may I be of service?"

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 10:48:18 PM »
Laren bobbed his head a couple of times, as the conversation was going as he'd expected.

"I mean, say for instance, someone were planning on doing something risky... but that's all you knew... Would you be able to tell them knowing only that, whether or not it's a good idea? Or would you have to understand everything about it... What this person was planning on doing, when, how... etc..."

He still felt like the explination was just too vague, but he didn't want to spill too much. Last thing Laren needed was another person affected by this damned Eye...
=]V[=

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2006, 10:28:56 PM »
Sayer cocked his head in interest.  It was a slow, subtle motion.  "Situation?" he repeated, frowning slightly in confusion.  "Please forgive me, but I am afraid that I do not understand."

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »
Laren took tipped his mug back and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "That's an interesting talent you have there. I don't think I've ever heard of it before."

Laren hailed the barmaid.

"I was wondering... How much do you need to know about... a certain... situation... to tell the outcome?"
=]V[=

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2006, 06:12:25 PM »
Sayer moved slowly through the crowd.  The finery of his clothing and his noble composure were contrasted by the boisterous commoners that filled the tavern.

As he approached the table, Sayer smiled warmly at Laren.  "I see you have already secured the finest table in the tavern, a talent of yours which I have grown to admire."  Sayer spoke as he sat, keeping his eyes on Laren instead of looking for the serving maid; Sayer found no urgency in placing an order for a mug of watery ale.

After taking a moment to adjust his sleeves, Sayer rested his arms on the table, being careful to avoid any spills on the rough table top.  He leaned forward, giving Laren his full attention.

Offline Phineas

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 07:40:43 AM »
[Placeholder reminder.]

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
You don't say
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
/Poke
=]V[=