Author Topic: Calling upon a Friend  (Read 1042 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »
Duthash Dracum Voldyn (May 13th)

Wolf gives a quick growl of warning waking Maccabeus with a start. The bubbling water continues to churn and feed the young Vallenwood. Looking around, Maccabeus realizes that he's held aloft in the branches and leaves of the tree! He looks down and sees that he's nearly two humans high. Wolf is on the ground looking up at him quizzicaly.

In the druid tongue he hears, "Worry not, friend of the wolf...you are safe within my care."

Maccabeus can see that the leaves of the tree are full spread and of a brilliant green. The bark is a reddish brown with a tint of greenish blue to them. It is a most unusual color bark that Maccabeus has never seen on a tree before. The branches are unusually thick for a tree of its' limited height and age. Then again, for a tree that was planted so recently, the quick growth of this one was equally unusual.

Wolf extends his thick neck up and stares expectantly at Maccabeus.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:32:11 PM »
Poopies!

Damn Session interrupted a perfectly fine ICD.

Ah well.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »
Sher...totally.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:02:57 PM »
The morning passed as Maccabeus listened to Ashe explain in laborous detail about the various herbs. Maccabeus was impressed that the man could know so much about...so much!

Towards early afternoon the three of them went outside to enjoy a bit of the day and share a lunch. Ashe and Maccabeus spun stories of adventure that the two had taken. It was delightful!

Shortly after they went back inside there was knock at the door. Ashe dashed to it to see who it was. He opened the door and with great relief saw that it was Jarmok. The Protectorate had returned.


The End?
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
The morning passed?
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
Ashe replies in a tongue that sounds fluid and smooth to Maccabeus's ears. "In Istishan, or as others would call it Aquan,that means, 'We'll have to heal that wound in your knowledge'."

"So, this herb...", Ashe began to explain the various properties of some of the common herbs found in the Threshold vicinity. Occasioanlly he would throw in a word or two of Istishan hoping that Maccabeus would, by association of the words around it, understand it's meaning. He thought it efficient to teach him two things at once.

Wolf was fantastically curious, as he had been before, about the nature of Ashe's house. He was sniffing in every corner and walking the edge of rooms to make sure everything was as it should be.

After some explaining of the contents in the jars Ashe said, "I do have some books that I've written on all of these herbs that I'm explaining to you. You're welcome to borrow them at just about any time, if you like."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
"Oh, no thanks. That breakfast was quite enough for me for a long while. I'd be interested in talking herbs and languages, though. Can you teach me Istisha's language first?" He asked, a bit excitedly. "And as for herbs, is there a good rule of thumb that suggests a plants properties based upon its height, or color, or fragrance, or some such? I'm really quite ignorant about such things."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:09:21 AM »
"Great! Now, if you'll excuse me I have so may other things to do." Julius said and off he went down the road.

Ashe looks at Maccabeus and Wolf, shrugs his shoulders and, takes out the key to his house. As he opens the door the collective scent of the herbs billows out into the late morning air.

The three walk in and Ashe says, "As always, make your self at home. Can I get you anything to drink?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 11:01:34 AM »
"Of course." Maccabeus answered, still a bit rigid. "Wolf and I will do what we can to ensure the safety of the Protectorate and of Threshold."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »
Julius shook his head, "Please excuse me, Maccabeus. So much has been happening these last few days. I've been getting dozens of questions regarding the incident the other night. With the other councilers returning my mind has been spinning to inform them of all that has happened since they left. Suffice it to say that I've been busy."

"Would you and...the wolf be willing to look for the others should that be necessary?" Julius asked rephrasing his question.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »
"He's not "my" wolf, just so you know." Maccabeus was a little disappointed. Julius had until now been more or less understanding; it was clear now that the councilor was either under stress or not as keen as Maccabeus had first thought. "We'll be relatively close, though."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »
Julius snickered, "Sorry, of course he could...my silly question. I think I'll follow Ashe's advice and give them a little more time. But should the need arise I'll be calling on you and your wolf to perhaps lend a hand...and a nose. Okay?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
Maccabeus blinked confusedly. "He's a wolf." He answered. "Of course he can track by scent. We can follow their trail right now, if you know the route they took and if there hasn't been too much traffic since their departure."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »
Upon closer viewing Maccabeus and Ashe could see that it was Julius. "I guess it was good thing I didn't say that too loud, eh?" Ashe joked.

Julius approached the three of them, "Ashe...Maccabeus...wolfie...I haven't heard from the Protectorate yet. I'm getting worried. They're obviously not with you. So where in Avernus are they?"

Ashe nods his head and says, "Calm down my friend. I've warned Zarion and Kym and they'll be talking to Stormhunter. Obviously, they encountered something in the Shadowrider camp. If they're not back by nightfall those three will look for them. You must have faith in their skills."

Julius purses his lips then says, "I don't doubt their skills but neither do I underestimate the Shadows. Who knows what they found out there?"

Julius looks to Maccabeus and says, "Maccabeus, Your Wolf...he's been around the others before. Do you think he could track by scent if the need arises?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Calling upon a Friend
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 02:37:07 PM »
Maccabeus trailed after Ashe, curious to see who awaited the elder, and for what.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank