Author Topic: A New Day Dawns  (Read 468 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 04:48:14 PM »
Ashe started at his little friends sudden excitment. He realized that he had nearly forgot the original intention of this visit. Ashe looks at Jarmok and says, "Wait until you see the Ring...fantastic." Ashe sits down and begins to take off his boots so to feel the soft lush grass on his feet.

The scent of the trumpet blooms was nearly overwhelming. As Ashe took off his boots he marveled at the wall of flowers crimson and purple flowers. The bells on the flowers were the shape of the fanfare horns used to announced the entrance of important city folk.  

Wolf poked his head from around the corner of the bramble path to see what was taking Ashe and Jarmok so long.

Ashe says to Jarmok, "Go on ahead if you like...I'll catch up. I just want to take off my boots. The grass feels good on my feet."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
Quote from: green:7467eca9c5
You know, I hadn't considered that parallel at all - I've fallen rather neatly into that paradigm, didn't I?  :) [/color]

"Understand good." Jarmok objected, seemingly a little annoyed at the herbalist's assertion. "Try talk better too." He added, perhaps a little sad or embarrassed. "Forest talk easier. More sense."

Maccabeus smiled at them then. "You know," he said happily. "I had the same thought, that they must have met already, but given the way that Wolf has accepted so many folks here - Julius, yourself, Kym - I figured that all of the folks around here must just be good. Wolf is an excellent judge of character."

"Met." Jarmok interjected as he crouched comfortably near Wolf. "Yestermorn in forest. Looking for Ring then too." He added meaningfully.

Maccabeus was shaking his head at this revelation, absorbing the blatant coincidence in the situation. "Oh!" He jumped as Jarmok mentioned the Ring. "Ashe, wait till you see the perfect spot that Bramble and I picked out! Bramble opened up a special area where I and the Vallenwood can live together! Come along!" He turned and trotted back into the bramble. Jarmok looked to Ashe for guidance on what he should do. Wolf rose and bounded after his diminutive friend.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
Ashe was quite amused at the severe lack of understanding between Jarmok and Maccabeus. It was quite likely that their mutual affinity for Mahiya would become the initial bond of a lasting friendship. It reminded him of his freindship with Mercer that lasted the greater part of his life. Ashe missed his friend but found a joy in watching these two who were about to embark on a similar relation; Jarmok the forest warrior and Maccabeus the forest priest.

Ashe looks at Maccabeus and says, "Maccabeus, he's not originally from around here. So, he has some difficulty with the language. It helps if you motion certain key words to strengthen his understanding." Ashe looked down at Jarmok and Wolf playing around, "He seems to have no trouble talking to Wolf though does he? Is it me or have these two met before? Their body language would indicate so...don't you think?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
Jarmok wasn't sure what to expect, this being a time of great uncertainty. Nothing was as solid this week as it had been only a week earlier. Still, when the little man and his enormous wolf friend - whom Jarmok instantly recognized as the wolf he had met only the day before - an image of Jarmok's cave in the hills immediately came to mind.

The tracks that were there when Jarmok arrived had told him that a small person and a large wolf had been there only the day before. Those tracks couldn't belong to anybody other than these two. The thought of how closely they had been dancing around each other brought a smile to Jarmok's face.

Jarmok knelt down and cautiously addressed the great wolf. He rumbled deep and cordially, confirming to the animal that the two had met already. He then whined lightly to further confirm that they were friends.

The large beast stepped up confidently to Jarmok and licked his chin and face. Jarmok suffered the treatment happily, understanding the nature of the animal.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maccabeus was very happy to see that it was indeed Ashe who approached Bramble, but was surprised that the elder would have brought another so early.

The man who stood next to Ashe looked like a son of the wildlanders, and put Maccabeus on edge slightly. He was short for a wildlander, and his facial features were different from a human's - this man's head and face were round and his eyes slightly bulgy. But the man wore badly worn and mis-matched leather, as was often (but not always) the way with some wildlanders. He was rough in many areas, although he was lean too. The twigs that clung to his thick black hair, which was pulled tightly behind his head, bespoke a certain familiarity with Mahiya.

Maccabeus was about to greet the new comer when the man did something rather odd: he smiled an ugly sort of smile, then dropped to his knees and started to grunt and growl, and then whine, at Wolf.

Wolf reciprocated immediately, welcoming this fellow warmly. Were it not for the events of the last day or two, and the images of so many strangers being welcomed so readily by his faithful friend, Maccabeus would have concluded that this man and Wolf must know each other - but that was foolishness, of course.

"By the Blessed Four!" Maccabeus exclaimed. "Does everyone around here speak wolf?!?!"

Jarmok backed away from the large animal slightly and apologized. "Sorry." He said. "Happy meet." He held out his hand to this new-comer. Upon first seeing this man, he had assumed that he was one of Laren's folk. Upon closer inspection, however, he could see that there were clear differences. They were almost identical in size, but Laren's dark eyes were wider than this man's sapphire ones, and this man's nose was far more pointed. Still, Jarmok supposed, they could be from the same sort of people; Humans were as varied as the differences between Laren and this Maccabeus.

Maccabeus laughed as Wolf continued to greet the new comer. He reached forth with his little hand and grasped the arm of the wildlander, in the manner of his people. Jarmok appeared a little confused by this, but he adapted quickly. No doubt he doesn't see too many Dale Gnomes or wildlanders here - I wonder if he came here with Maal? Perhaps they are related? They're both ugly enough. He thought as he accepted the man's hand. "'tis a pleazure t' meet ya." Maccabeus said, trying to make Jarmok feel a little more comfortable. "Wolf seems ta think yer onna level, so tha's good enuff fer me."

Jarmok blinked a few times; this little man sounded more like Maal than like Laren. "Good wolf." Jarmok observed. "Smart. ?ummm, not speak wolf [thumb to chest]. Just like animals?easy to under-stand." He nodded approvingly at the great animal. He then turned to Ashe and asked "How bush move? Like trees at river?" Listening, Maccabeus blinked at Jarmok's clear lack of mastery over his tongue. The little Dale Gnome looked questioningly at Ashe, his brain stuck on why this man seemed so odd, and not really thinking about the wildlander?s question.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »
Quote from: green:4e30665f5e
So am I...stay tuned. :)[/color]
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 09:07:10 AM »
As Ashe was about to explain the brambles sentient nature when the two could hear voice from within the brambles. The voice was excited and and welcoming.

The brambles opened up for Maccabeus leading to the rear of the sacred place. Quickley it opened to reveal Ashe standing with Jarmok who seemed a somewhat puzzled by the current activity.

Wolf poked his head forward and sniffed towards the two. He then turned his head to the side trying to understand the familiar scent but not the familiar form of Jarmok.

Ashe says, "I brought someone you should meet, Maccabeus. His name is Jarmok. He's a protege of my good friend Mercer. He is now the recognized protector of Threshold." Ashe looks at Jarmok and continues, "Jarmok, this is Maccabeus. He is the steward of the Ring of Mists and its' protector. It seems you two have some things in common. Oh, and let's not forget Wolf. He's Maccabeus brother in spirit."

Ashe was eager to see how this meeting would turn out.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
Jamok looked at Ashe quizzically. "Bush wants know?" It was clear from the furrows on Jarmok's round face that he was not understanding. He worked his mouth, but in the end he found that he didn't understand the question at all, let alone how to answer it.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Aha!" Maccabeus jumped from his thick mossy bed. "Ashe is here at last, isn't he friend?" He was so excited for the planting that he ran through the floral tunnels towards the rear of the ring to greet Ashe, leaving his gear, boots, and shirt behind at his new den. "I can't wait to show him the perfect spot that Bramble and I chose for the planting of the Acorn!"

He jogged into the tunnel that would lead him towards the rear of the bramble ring. Bramble had agreed to leave it half formed to aid the little gnome in his comings and goings, but the final several paces were still sealed shut to protect the Ring from intruders, incidental or not.

"Ashe!" He called as he ran. "Is that you? Come see, come see! We've found such a great spot for the seed!" Only after he had called out did it occur to him that this might not be Ashe at all, but might rather be enemies. Or even just another stag, although Wolf would not be ready for hunting again just yet.

He cursed his impulsive nature for not having his sturdy spear with him. Well, he thought, we're here now - let's see what we're here for. Wolf put him at ease a bit; the big animal did not seem agitated, but was excited in the manner that one gets when expecting friends.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
"It'll let us in. The thorns are...well...they move. And they are also flowered with trumpetblooms. Come, you'll see."

Ashe and Jarmok moved through the thickening brush towards the thorns. As ashe set foot near the thorns they began to move aside and rustle in agitation. Ashe began to talk in a strange language that Jarmok had never heard before. Ashe looked back at Jarmok, "The brambles want to know who you are. What would you like me to say?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Wolf jumped with quick bark of warning. He looked to the southern end of the grove with interest. Rainsing his head in the air he began to sniff hoping to catch a scent of something. He looked back to Maccabeus, who was sitting on a soft bed of moss eating part of the deer that Wolf had caught the day before, for some sort of explanation.

The fire that was used to cook the meat was not at all discouraged by the brambles; they just simply moved out of harms way allowing Maccabeus to roast without worry.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2006, 03:39:31 PM »
"Is big bush, like Maal says." Jarmok said. "Smell good too. How get through bush?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
As they stepped off of the bridge the branches and undergrowth writhed back into place. "The Ring of Mists is a very sacred shrine of Mahiya and it's four element children. You'll see. I have no doubt you'll understand as well. It's a place of such beauty that I tear..." Ashe moves his finger from his ey down his cheek knowing that hand motions help jarmok understand the language better "...when I see it. I had waited a long time for it's revelation. From here you might be able to see the wall of brambles that guard it. Look..."

Ashe pointed into the forest. Jarmok looking acutely could see a recipe of purple and crimson beyond the yellow green of the baby sythus leaves.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
"Maccabeus?" Jarmok tried to repeat the name that Ashe had just uttered. He did not know anyone by that name as yet. Thinking on it, he recalled that Maal had used that name only yesterday - she called him a nome, whatever that was. Perhaps they would meet this new outlander at the Ring.

"What is ring?" He asked, tacking the conversation.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 02:43:49 PM »
"The bridge will reappear when we...when I or Maccabeus step up to the bank. If Maccabeus so wishes for you to be able to have special access to the Ring by this way then he will have to grant you that privelage. He is the caretaker of the Ring and it is his decision. At some point he'll have to decide whether or not to let regular folks into the Ring itself. But that's another conversation..." Ashe says.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
Jarmok stared incredulous as the fronds and vines twisted and knitted a sturdy-looking bridge that Ashe trod upon with confidence.

Jarmok leaned close to the floral edge of the bridge and inspected it; it was no more than wood and bark. He laughed out loud. "Bronzewood majik?" He asked gleefully.

Jarmok stood upon the span and gingerly padded to mid-river. There he kneeled down and peered over the side of the bridge. He pushed his hand under the walkway to feel for supports, but there were none. "One-dur-ful" he breathed. "How I do?" He asked as he gripped his bronzewood axe. He was a little ashamed to admit that he hadn't seen Ashe do anything with his bauble, but the bridge grew just the same. "How long stay?" He also asked. "Will be here when we go home?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2006, 02:29:50 PM »
"Oh no...not everyone that has bronzewood can change. Mercer couldn't change yet he had much bronzewood. The field workers are very curious right now. Going in through the front would draw suspicion that is not ready to be dealt with. So, special friends go through the back. Watch..."

Ashe stepped up to the bank of the Fogveil and the trees and undergrowth began to twist, bend and weave together to form a living bridge across the river. "Shall we...?" Ashe asked motioning his hand towards the spanning vegetation.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
A New Day Dawns
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
Jarmok studied the area for landmarks and signs that might in the future indicate where he was. Thinking on it, they had to be but a few bowshots south of Little Threshold.

"Anyone with bronzewood can change?" He asked as he surveyed the area. "Get into Ring from here? Maal said in field?" His voice reflected the confusion that had become a bit of a hallmark for Jarmok of late. He watched Ashe closely.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank