Author Topic: The Walking Wounded  (Read 356 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Blackspear

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 12:40:59 AM »
After a 6 day journey :lol:  Dale and Maal arrive at Ashe's home.  Exhausted from the battle, Dale wearily knocks on the druid's door.  Each rap sends a shock through the wound in his opposite shoulder.   "Hello, Ashe.  You home?  We could use some help."
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »
Maal follows Dale in silence...
nothing

Offline Blackspear

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 08:58:14 PM »
Dale stood off to the side and watched the conversation between Severen and his friends.   Unconsciously, Dale kept patting his club into the palm of his hand as he coldly stared at Severen.    

Almost as if waking from a dream, Dale snapped back into the present and began marching towards Ashe's house.  "Come on Maal.  Let's get on our way..."
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 04:24:04 PM »
So let it be written...
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 02:55:09 PM »
Severen again smiles wryly, "Sufficient enough for me it is." He looks at Maal and Dale and says dismissively, "Carry on good heroes."

OOC: I think it would be a good idea to spin Severen and Mac into a different ICD so that the intention of this current ICD isn't compromised.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 02:11:18 PM »
Maccabeus shrugged indifferently. "I know Julius, and have worked for him with Maal and Dale and others in the few days that we've been here. Trust? I don't know. But I've got Ashe's trust firm enough, and my sense is that Julius has fairly complete trust in Ashe. Would that be sufficient for you?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 01:35:53 PM »
Severen regards Maccabeus with a look of respect and says, "My name is Severen, pleasure to meet. I suppose my prime concern is the trust Julius would have in your testimony. Realistically it makes no difference to me who might witness just as long they have Julius's trust. Do you?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 01:21:36 PM »
"Hello." Maccabeus said cordially. "My name is Maccabeus, and I would submit that if you need a witness for any reason, there's none better than one ignorant of the...situation." He borrowed Severen's word. "In the form of trust, I wouldn't be informed enough to bear false witness to anything you might be doing. But have it as you will; it makes no difference to me."

He turned to inspect Maal then, and noted Dale as her companion. The arrows buried in each of them were obvious now, although he hadn't noted them before. "As for healing ability, mine is as nothing compared with Ashe's, but I can beseech Mahiya to stem your bleeding, at least. It'd be painful to extract the arrows, but you'll get no worse. All said, you'd likely be best served visiting Ashe." Maccabeus regarded Maal and Dale expectantly.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 12:50:20 PM »
Severen looks down at Maccabeus and Wolf. A glimmer of wonder came into Severens eyes for a split moment in his estimating glance. "I'd rather someone who knows the situation bear witness. Besides, I know that you're a member of the Protectorate. Your friend here is not known to me." Severen said smoothly. "If the short one here has healing ability then perhaps he could heal you and we could continue with our task."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 12:34:02 PM »
Maal Brengain turns partially to greet the gnome and wolf without letting Severen leave her peripheral vision, "Steady, Maccabeus, I'll be fine. There was an attack on th' town this evening... We fought 'em off..."

Turning her attention back to Severen for a moment, the Wildlander fixes her stare upon the priest, "Hmph... I ne'er 'eard o' a priest tha' couldna treat wounds. Well, perhaps Maccabeus here will consent ta remain an' bear witness to yer actions while Dale an' me go to get our wounds treated. Why don' ye tell 'im wha ye need?"
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »
The acrid smell of smoke was borne heavily upon the north-bound breeze of night air. Wolf was agitated. This was not an ordinary campfire, or even a bon-fire. It was clear to Maccabeus that this was a fire of much greater magnitude.

"What say you, friend?" He asked Wolf ?Shall we hasten to town to see if there's a problem. Wolf seemed confident that there was indeed an issue. As Maccabeus moved towards the swamp-entrance to the Ring, Wolf stood tall and went towards the paths that led towards Coryndar fields.

"No, silly," Maccabeus corrected his friend. "Not through the field, we should be going through the back way."

Wolf growled at him and took a few more steps towards the Path of Shrines, as Maccabeus had grown to call that direction. After a few steps Wolf turned back towards the gnome and gruffed at him.

"The fire is that large, then? Maccabeus sensed the urgency in Wolf's demeanor, and gave in to the big canine. He hopped upon Wolf's back and gripped tight to the thick fur there. Wolf was off like a shot, darting through the passage and out through the accommodating vinery.

Wolf's powerful strides brought them in short order across the Anglehawk bridge. As they neared Threshold, Maccabeus realized that Wolf had been correct: this was a much larger fire than Mac had thought. Wolf was wise to choose the Path of Shrines and the fields as their route, as that path was far faster than the swamp route. The question at hand was whether this had been a fire of Mahiya's doing, or man's.

Wolf dodged around those people who were not quick enough to move from his path and brought Maccabeus up to the Thornhedge. Peering through the night, he saw a tall warrior woman, who in this place could only be Maal, and a companion heading over the Rosewalk. They were now on the far side of that span and appeared to be listing, as though they were hurt or extremely tired.

Wolf jogged towards them, sensing his burden's thinking. He caught up with the two figures as they were talking to a third man - one who Maccabeus didn't recognize. He was tall and lean, cloaked in dark robes with a silver waist-chain that clasped in front with some sort of insignia-bearing buckle. Maccabeus couldn't make it out clearly, nor did her realy care to. The man was talking to Maal in a smooth, almost silky voice, "...be a witness for me if you're too wounded to return here?"

"Maal!" Maccabeus called. "What's going on? Are you all right?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 04:07:23 PM »
Severen smiles wryly and says, "It is not in my nature to heal wounds, Maal. You'll have to see Ashe for that. I will, however, wait for your return. Perhaps there is another member of your precious Protectorate that can be a witness for me if you're too wounded to return here?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2005, 03:55:23 PM »
"Hail Severen. Well, as ye can see we're both injured an' are heading ta Ashe's house ta request some healing?"

Maal Brengain indicates the two arrows that protrude from her armor on her right side.  The first arrow shaft, embedded in front of her right arm, is broken in half. The second, embedded behind her arm, is still intact. Although she won't admit it or show it, she is in a great deal of pain. The arrows move about slightly in the wounds as she walks and moves and her armor shifts about over her body.

"So, this be a bad time fer ye ta be askin' fer favors," she continues. "Yet? I would be willin' ta remain and be witness to yer actions if'n ye can treat me wounds in some way once I've removed these arrows? What say ye? Is tha' something ye can do fer me?"
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »
Behind the two companions were three smoldering buildings as testament to the nights activities. The visitors to the town spoke in hushed tones and seemed to be generally spooked by the whole incident.

As Maal and Dale crossed onto the Foot they could hear a calm, and even voice from their left. "Maal and whoever," Severen says. Behind him and in front of the House of Crimson Eyes is the cart of dead bodies from the attack. "My greeting to you on this night. I need you to be witness to an action of mine. The teeth from the Carcass Eaters need to be knocked out and burned. I ask that you watch because if I were to do it alone and report my actions to Julius that it might seem suspicious given my...devotions."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Blackspear

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
    • View Profile
The Walking Wounded
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 10:44:47 PM »
Dale starts to pick at the cloth around the arrow shaft protruding from his left shoulder.  Despite the pain he feels very lucky.  A little lower and the arrow would have killed him...

"Its a good thing Ashe is willing to tend to our wounds.  Mine looks like it might fester."

"Its also good that the entire protectorate was ready for that attack.   Those bastards might have burned the whole town down if we hadn't stopped them....
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...