Author Topic: Jarmok Returns  (Read 273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:54:23 PM »
Duthash Zinnyas Voldyn [May 7th]

He had wisely returned to his own form before approaching Little Theshold. He was still nauseated by the transformation, but the headaches seemed to be getting less severe with each iteration.

The field workers that he approached had surprisingly little to say to him. Many of them had not seen anything at all; given their work and the fact that the lights had graced the sky so late in the night, most were sound asleep and were unaware of the lights.

They did, however, tell him about the goings-ons of the last days. Of the bandits that had been seen skulking about, and that Maal had been there with some other folks - people whose descriptions Jarmok did not recognize. Except maybe the wolf. He reminded himself.

The tracks that he found littering the area had verified the reports that he got: there had been quite a bit of activity in the south reaches of Coryndar Fields yesterday. Maal's prints were evident, as were several others, a large wolf and a large stag included, but for the most part they all seemed to melt into the dense bramble as though the thicket had not even been there the day before. He couldn't explain it.

But perhaps Juilius could. Any such activity would surely have captured his attention. Maybe Ashe's too.

Thus it was that he had run the distance from Little Threshold to Threshold proper and arrived at the Council House amidst the crowded streets. Closing the noise outside, he greeted the young lady busy at her desk as usual.

"Julius?" He asked. He berated himself inwardly; he was getting tired of so poorly expressing himself. This tongue might be foreign to him, but it would likely be his tongue for a long while. He determined to learn it better, but in the meantime, he would just make do as best he could.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:25:29 AM »
Jarmok's round, bulbous eyes shifted nervously. "Not know. People do." He said simply." He smiled rather feebly at Maal. "Go now." Then he turned to leave.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »
Maal Brengain stares at Jarmok's extended hand for a moment and then reaches out and clasps it with her own.

"Why are we claspin' hands, Jarmok? 'Ave we reached some sort o' agreement?"
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 10:28:36 AM »
<sluuurpt>..."Talked Julius before you." Jarmok answered. "Not far go, tomorrow." Jarmok finished his tankard of ale in one long pull and rose then. "Thank...you." He said slowly. "Home now, bramble during early morning." He held his hand out to the wild woman in the fashion that he noted was customary among the folk here in Threshold. "Oh, need look at guardhouse." He mentioned. "Bad may go there if empty long. Make part morning tour, but might want look close. Tomorrow, hope."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:07:54 PM »
"Ach! There was an opening in th' brambles when we were there..." <sluuurp> "Perhaps it's closed up now. Hmph! As I recall, one of our newer members, a gnome named Maccabeus, stayed behind ta keep an eye on things out there. <sluuuurp> An' another new arrival named Sayer was gonna make a report ta Julius. Maybe ye should check with Julius before goin' all th' way back out there?"
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »
Jarmok stared at Maal quizzically. "Tracks easy." He said, perhaps a little defensively. "No path into woods. Just bushes. Tracks right into [guestures, driving one hand, fingers first into his other palm] bramble."

He shook his head bewilderedly. "Look again tomorrow." He drank deep of the ale that Keltan had brought him.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 08:44:28 PM »
"Eh? I jus tol' ye where it was!" exclaims the wildlander. "'Tis across th' field past th' barn. Are ye sayin' tha' ye can find our tracks, but ye cannot follow them inta th' woods?" Maal Brengain snorts and takes a sip of her ale.
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:56:46 PM »
Jarmok bobbed his head in understanding as the wildlander spoke. "How go in bush?" He asked. "Found tracks," he smiled as he spoke and continued, saying "many tracks easy find. But bush full, no path. Where go in?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »
"I'll be fine. Ye needn't worry aboot me," replies the wildlander. After a pause, "Th' bramble maze was on th' other side o' th' fields... past th' barn. I'm sure ye could follow our tracks... they should still be fresh enough. Speak with Jared if ye go... he's th' farmhand in charge there." Maal Brengain takes another long pull from her tankard.
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »
Jarmok attended Maal closely as she spoke. She had a manner of speach and being that was different from other people in Threshold. By and large she still included a fair number of "extra" words that Jarmok had yet to master, but she placed them a bit differnt. He wasn't sure how they were different; he'd have to compare her dialect with others. Julius and Ashe would be good studies in this fashion, he thought.

"Where bandits?" He asked. "Saw tracks..." he interrupted himself and restarted his sentence, but very slowly. "...I...saw tracks many...of...many people...and...things in field." He paused a moment, seeming to have lost track of himself. "Went in bush." He began again. "Is maze in bush? Want look." He finished, abandoning his language lesson for the night.

[ung] "You better?" He added then.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »
Maal simply nods her thanks to Keltan as he brings her the dwarven ale. She then stretches out her long legs and props her feet up on the table while leaning back in her chair.

After taking a long pull of the dark brew she speaks, "Aye, I think all o' the grey-skinned bandits be dead, Jarmok. They... disappear inta dust when they die. Very strange, indeed! As fer lights in th' night... I dinna see tha'. I was very... ill. I went straight ta see Ashe after, an' he gave me somethin' tha' put me out so I could rest."
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 11:18:29 AM »
OOC: Maal's knowledge would be hearsay at best (if at all) as she was unconcious. Most in the town probably wouldn't have seen it. Rumors might be festering in town but that would be about it.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 11:15:02 AM »
Quote from: green:9edaf42482
Before I answer in character... Did Maal see the lights?  I don't recall when that was exactly.  Was it at night after the fight?  If so, Maal was basically unconscious, since Ashe slipped her a Mickey to make her rest and recover.  Let me know and then I can tailor my in-character answer...[/color]
nothing

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 10:13:25 AM »
"Ale." Jarmok answered Keltan. He sat gingerly in a chair and turned back to Maal then.

"Sorry not here." He said ruefully. "See lights in night? Part of fight? Know bandits do? All dead?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Jarmok Returns
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:57:59 AM »
Keltan arrives with the special Dwarven Dark brew that he has become accustomed to giving Maal.

Speaking in softer tones Keltan askes, "Jarmok, is there anything that you would like to drink? Since you are also part of the Protectorate it comes at no cost. Maybe some water or milk? I don't know if you...well, would you like an ale?"

The common room of the Thornhedge was somewhat busy but not obtrusively so. In the other wing of the common room a slow sedate melody could be heard accompanied by the indistinguishable telling of a story to many children.

OOC: I'm having a good time imagining Jarmok trying to understand Maal talking in her broge Wildlander dialect of common. Poor guy must get so confused!
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity