Author Topic: Waiting for Kyle  (Read 345 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 05:54:07 AM »
"Bah!" Maal Brengain rolls her eyes. "Well, we don' 'ave ta e'en leave th' Foot if'n ye don' wanna. We could jus' walk down ta th' other end... But if ye really need ta ask yer Da'..."

She looks down at the young man before her and realizes how much he reminds her of her younger brother, Riordin. They must be aboot th' same age, too, she reflects. Wha' am I gettin' meself into? she asks herself. Wha' if this somehow ends in disaster like before!? Poor Riordin!

Maal Brengain steps back, visibly shaken for a moment. The indecision shows clearly in her face and her dark eyes...
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 08:56:17 PM »
Normally it would do just fine. But," and Kyle looks to the ground,"My dad wants me close to town 'to avoid any more trouble' he says. But I'll be with you so that would be like staying out of trouble don't you think? I'd better ask just to make sure. He's pretty mad at me right now and I don't want him to be any more madder. As it is I'm house bound as he puts it. But maybe if you talk to him he'll let me go. I really want to do this! Please, will you come with me when I ask? If your there he might say yes."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »
Maal Brengain continues to casually chew the venison.

"Aye! Tha' will do, don' ye think?"
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 08:08:59 AM »
"You mean by the farm fields?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 09:45:58 PM »
Maal Brengain takes a bite of the venison meat, herself, and answers while chewing, "I, um, 'ave no clan. Tha's why I'm 'ere in Thresh'ld..."

After an uncomfortable pause, she continues, "Shall we meet this afternoon? Maybe in th' field north o' th' town?"
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 08:56:55 PM »
"Uh, sure I'd love to have some."

Kyle takes a strip of meat from Maal and bites into it. Some of the juices run down the side of his mouth and he wipes them away on his sleeve.

Chewing and talking Kyle says, "Yeah I can tell you stories of Mercer. My Dad says that people make more out of the stories than actually happened but they're fun to hear anyway."

He takes another bite.

"I know that your obligations might be unpredictable so if we can't train I understand. After all, you're doing this on your own time. I'm grateful just for that...and this meat...this is really tasty!"

He takes another bite.

"I think I'd like to learn the spear. We live sort of in the woods and findign a brach to sharpen should'nt be so hard."

He takes another bite.

"So, you're from the Wildlands, eh? I've never seen someone from there...execpt for Fergus's parents. They talk like you do. Fergus sounds kind of like them but not as much. He said that Wildlander have patterns on their kilts which marks the tribe...or was it clan?...that they're from. He didn't recognize yours though. What clan or tribe are you from?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 11:48:28 AM »
"Er... yeh, I'd like ta teach ye how ta use any weap'n ye like... but yeh, it might be easier ta begin with th' spear, since tha's what I have. Um... maybe ye can, um... tell me some of them stories o' - who was it? - Mercer?"

"I should 'ave some time this afternoon if ye like, but let's keep this loose fer now, eh? B'cause o' my duties ta th' Council we may not be able to meet e'ryday. D' ye follow me?

"Um... d' ye want a strip o' meat? It's from - um - Lander's inn right up there..."

Maal Brengain unwraps the venison strips an' holds them out in her left hand towards Kyle.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:05 AM »
Kyle's mouth drops open and he's dumbstruck. "You'd teach me to use a spear? an...and fight like a hero? Wow! I've always heard stories about old man Mercer and thought of being him doing what he did. When can we start? I've got some work to do right now but I'll be ready later this afternoon. WOW!"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 01:08:42 AM »
Maal Brengain is momentarily stunned by Kyle's speech, "I... um... what?"

She quickly composes herself, "What 're ye goin' on about now?" she asks. "A 'hairpiece"? I'm sure I 'ave no idea what yer talkin' aboot, lad. So, ye like Kit, eh? Think she's pretty, eh? Hrm! Well! Indeed!"

"Look, I jus' wan' ta talk with ye aboot th' whole Rawlin' thing. I wanna tell ye tha' I'm proud o' ye. Ye showed real courage! Ye got in a bit over ye head though, but tha's nothin' ta be ashamed of, since it all turned out fer th' best.

"I - um - was jus' gonna say tha' if ye e're need help with tha' sort o' business agin, then ye should come an' find me. I'd like ta help ye out... Er... ye follow? I can show ye how ta handle a weapon if ye like... in case ye need ta defend yerself agin..."
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 10:07:14 PM »
Cindara reaches out and grabs Maal's hand giving it a firm, solid grasp and shake...definatly strong enough for a weapon. "Well, I look forward to having you around. Truth be told, more women should take up the hammer and steel. Well, off I go."

Kyle says, "Maal, before anything I really must thank you for helping us...again. It was stupid for us to go after Rawling...I see that now looking back on it. How's Kit? Is she doing okay? When I talked to her I guess I upset her. I didn't mean to. I didn't expect her to run away from a hairpiece. Do you think she would at least take a walk with me...maybe share a lunch? Oh, I don't know. I just can't stop thinking about her! Have you ever been...well...you know...Alright I'll just say it, I really like her and I don't know how to...She liked the piece I made for her but she said she could never accept it. Do you know why she would say that?" Kyle seemed cunfused and befuddled tripping over his words.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 10:35:32 PM »
"Indeed, Cindara. I was 'ere jus a few days ago. An' I'll also be workin' at th' anvil with Stormhunter. It's good ta meet ye." Maal Brengain extends her right hand (the left is still holding her food), despite  Cindara's warning. "Sweat an' soot don' bother me none," she adds.

Maal sizes up the girl, trying to judge her potential muscle strength and how "tough" she could be. Would she be able to weild a weapon? wonders the Wildlander woman.

She then turns her attention to Kyle. "I'd like ta speak with ye, Kyle..."
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 07:54:25 PM »
Kyle quickly turns to see Maal approaching. "Oh, Maal! Hello. This is my cousin Cindara. She's learning how to smith with Stormhunter." he says, turning to Cindara he says, "This is Maal. She helped save me, William, and Fergus from the ratman." Cindara smiles, "Thanks for helping my mischievous cousin. If it isn't one thing it's another with him.

Cindara looks to be older than Kyle, closer to Maal's age. She has her black hair tied back and is sweating on the brow. She laughs, "I'd extend my hand for a peaceful shake but they're covered with sweat and soot! Stormhunter has been making me work extra hard at the anvil. He says that I show real promise and, like the metal, I should work my talent into shape!" Cindara looks at Maal, "Didn't I see you here just a few days ago? Listen to me! I've been so busy at the fire that I don't know what goes on beyond the smithy! By the end of the day I'm so tired from swinging that hammer that I just collpse into bed...sometimes without supper."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 07:32:13 PM »
Without changing either her gait or manner, Maal Brengain strides purposefully towards Kyle and his companion...

"Hail, Kyle," she says in greeting as she approaches.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »
As she gets outside she sees Kyle turn to the right and head towards the various smithies. Mall dadges her way through the crowd and over the Wolfsong. She sees Kyle standing there talking to a young girl in a leather apron and soot on her face.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Waiting for Kyle
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 05:17:33 AM »
"Ah! Thank ye!" Maal Brengain takes the wrapped-up food from Lander and quickly hands him a gold coin.

"Tha's th' smallest I 'ave," she states as she moves towards the door. And then calls out, "Keep th' change!" as she quickly exits the inn.

She will attempt to follow Kyle across the Wolfsong, hoping to catch up to him on the other side. She will weave through the crowds as necessary, walking briskly with her long strides, but not running.
nothing