Author Topic: Aftermath  (Read 178 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« on: September 15, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »
Glass breaks and Maal wakes with a start instinctively reaching for her spear but grabs only air. She sits up and her eyes dart around the room. She sees Ashe bending over collecting pieces of glass. He peers over, "Oh, I am sorry to wake you Maal. Sometimes my desk gets so full with jars that I occasionally knock one off. How are you feeling?"

Maal suddenly realizes that she feels far better than the day before but needs a good stretch. She feels her throat is dry as leaves in a drought and finds it hard to speak. She can still feel and taste the ash from the day before.

"You came into contact with some foul magic. Some who are weaker wouldn't have survived what you did. Still, you and the others were brave...trust me when I say it hasn't gone unnoticed."

He goes to a barrel and dips two mugs into it filling them with water. He brings them over to Maal and hands one of them to her. "This should soak your throat and make you feel better."

As she drinks the water she notices that the three boys are gone and their beds are made.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »
This is probably a good place to end this.  I had originally intended this to lead into Ashe and Dale to go to the Ring of Mists which it will do but in another post..."The Ring within the Brambles"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:58:57 PM »
Maal turns and strides away towards the river, weaving deftly through the crowded streets of the town.

I think we can end this one here.  I'd like to start a new thread to follow up on the rest of Maal's day of recovery.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 09:44:26 PM »
"Maal, I don't think that I'll be going anywhere soon. Whenever you feel the need to talk you know where I am. Oh, Laren and I go searching for herbs quite a bit. You're welcome to join us if you like. It's quiet and peaceful out in the woods. Anyway, enjoy your swim. I'm sure it will be refreshing. Now off to find Dale..." Ashe opens the door to the Thornhedge and casually strolls in.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 06:58:12 PM »
Maal Brengain leads on, not slowing her pace at all and showing no sign of amusment at Ashe's comment. Once they arrive at the inn, she turns to face Ashe, staring him in the eye in her usual glaring manner.

"Thank ye, Ashe fer all yer help. An' fer listenin' ta me.  I'm feelin' much better an' I think I'll be goin' fer a swim now ta clean th' rest o' this grime offa me."
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 04:32:30 PM »
Surprised at Maal's effective tactics, Ashe looks around and walks right behind her across both bridges. Upon getting to the other side of the Rosewalk the crowd thins out just enough for Ashe to walk side by side with Maal. He laughs and says, "You can take the girl out of the Wildlands but you can't take the Wildlands out of the girl! Maal, that'll make me laugh all damn day long!!"

The shuffle through the crowd and make their way to the Thornhedge.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:01:53 PM »
"Aye, I ca' do tha'," replies the tall Wildlander woman, her stoic demeanor returning.

Wearing her shield upon her right arm and carrying her spear upright in her left hand, Maal Brengain begins marching forward onto the crowded Wolfsong Stretch forcing the people to part before her as she advances. "Comin' through, folks! Comin' through!"

She steadily stays her course across the Wolfsong and onto the Foot, marching purposefully straight across towards the Rosewalk without once bothering to check back and see if Ashe is able to keep up or not.

Yet, as she crosses the Foot her gaze momentarily wanders over to the Bearded Beasts Leather & Butchery Shop where Philip Stagdrake and his three [Hope I got that right!] sons work daily on their wares. She wonders if Philip's eldest son, Kyle is there now... and how he is faring after recovering from his latest ordeal. Let me jus' get Ashe ta th' inn first, an' then perhaps I'll double back an' look fer Kyle afterward, she thinks to herself. There is a matter that I wish to discuss with him if I can get him away from his father and alone for a moment. Hrmph!

She marches onward across the Rosewalk and towards the Thornhedge Inn with chin held high.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 08:11:59 AM »
Ashe looks at the hardened warrior girl and goes into a memory of his own and then says, "Maal, beginnings are times of such great peril and uncertainty. You're still very young and at the beginning. Some things will start to make sense eventually...but you must be patient. You'll find your place someday. Many come here seeking for something, not knowing what that something is until they find it. I suppose that's the story of many people the world over. Come, I need you to get me through this crowd and to the Thornhedge."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »
"I... I don' know, yet, Ashe. Thresh'ld is jus' a fine town, but I 'onestly don' know where I fit yet... or if I do at all. Do ye unnerstan'? I 'ave no 'ome right now, Ashe. Even lookin' back on my childhood in th' Wildlands, I am unsure as ta wha' kind o' 'ome it really was. Was tha' e're my 'ome?  A 'ome is where one feels safe... secure. I rarely felt tha' way there. Not 'til later... An' then... well, wha' I saw an' th' things tha' I did. Is tha' wha' a 'ome should be? I... I jus' don' know!"

Maal Brengain brushes her hand over her dark eyes (perhaps wiping away a tear? It is hard for Ashe to tell for sure) and looks away up towards the Spike of Fire, perhaps seeking for some strength from Kossuth. She continues to stare up at the flaming tower in silence for a long moment. She is young and free. But her freedom has come at a price and the physical and emotional scars of her freedom won are still fresh and deep.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 08:37:09 PM »
Ashe looks to the ground almost sorry to hear her response. "I must apologize. I didn't know that you...felt that way. It almost sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of your convictions. Perhaps in time you may feel differently. But who am I to say? How do you like it here in Threshold? You certainly have people curious, I can tell you that! Most have never seen a Wildlander except for Analee and her husband Fergus. They came here when they were younger. They said the Wildlands were getting too dangerous to live in..especially with children. So they came here. Here they found safety...and acceptance. Threshold is good for that."

As he talks the two of you approach close to the Wolfsong bridge and can hear the rythmic clanging of hammer on steel coming from the smithies ahead. The buildings have much activity around them and this part of the town is choked with people.

Ashe stops and sighs. He looks to Maal and says, "I'm so glad sometimes to live on the far, quiet end of town. Don't get me wrong, I love living here and the the fests bring many light times. But the crowds get to me sometimes. Occasionally it's hard for me to get across town without being stopped a dozen different times! So, aside from the crowds, how do you like it here?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 08:01:48 PM »
Maal Brengain is silent for a while as she considers the question. Her pale and scarred face is very grim.

"'Tis true... Th' Wildlands are caught up in much turmoil now. One would think tha' such a time would bring all o' th' clans together ta fight th' common enemy, yet there still be terrible hate between several o' th' clans..." Her voice trails off momentarily; lost perhaps in a not-to-distant memory. She marches on in silence for a heartbeat.

"Hrm!" She clears her throat as if swallowing back all the emotion that the memories have conjured up.  "They will all likely kill themselves off anyway, an' Rhohannus will reclaim all th' blood bathed fields tha' they desire! It matters no' ta me. There be nothin' left fer me there now..."

Maal Brengain grows sullen and silent as they continue to walk towards the town...
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
Ashe grabs his walking staff and heads outside. As he locks the door he says, "You should still take it easy today...nothing strenuous...plenty of sleep."

He starts to walk the road with Maal. He glances sidelong at Maal and asks, "I've been to the Wildlands. Beautiful and dangerous country it is. It's also a goodly distance away. What brings you out here? I sort of figured that with the war you'd be there fighting with your neighbor clans."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 10:53:22 AM »
"Suit yerself - it's fine with me."  Maal Brengain steps outside, takes a deep breath of the crisp Sythus air, and waits for Ashe to join her.
nothing

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:43:30 AM »
"Maal, I have to go out and into town anyway. If you don't mind my company, I'll go with you." He gathers up various items among Maal notes a beautiful wooden scimitar inlaid with the goldleaves from the ridge above his house. He scratches his black and silver hair throws on his cloak and heads for the door.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline fraz

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 368
    • View Profile
Aftermath
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 11:17:15 PM »
Maal Brengain gulps down some of the water and rubs the sleep from her heavy eyes.

"Thank ye, Ashe.  I be feelin' much better now, though still a bit groggy.  I still don' fully unnerstan' what happen'd ta me, but I knew ye'd be th' one ta set me ta rights agin.  Ah!  So, th' boys have gone 'ome, I see."

Maal stands and stretches her lithe frame.  She brushes back her long black hair which is still pasted with dried ash from the bramble maze.  "I need ta go fer a swim an' get cleaned up..."  She gathers her equipment and heads towards the door without another word.
nothing