Author Topic: Elberrin's Bow  (Read 364 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« on: May 17, 2005, 12:44:38 PM »
[07 Goodmonth (Aug) 591 CY]

Before the dawn of "Freeday", Elberrin departed from the tent, his comrades sleeping, even Mel. Elberrin couldn't sleep though. Never before had he so anxiously anticipated a days' beginning. He finally would have a mentor of quality. A man willing to teach him the skills of a true ranger. He knew of no one else who could hunt and kill beasts single handedly like Ivellious had only a few days ago.

He made his way to the mess hall, but not before ensuring that Mel was truly asleep on his little cot. He hoped that the kitchen was open this early before sunrise.

As he arrived at the mess hall, he came upon an argument at it's entrance. A portly, slightly balding gray-haired human was disciplining a young comely girl. He had seen the man before, as he was the cook, the girl he didn't recognize.

As they had already seen him approach, he feigned disinterest, and passed them bye on the way into the hall.

"...and who do you think is going to feed these men if I am doing your job in the kitchen young lady?!" the cook scolded the young girl.

The mess hall was empty of people. Elberrin stopped inside the entrance but out of view so he could listen in, not that it was that difficult since the man was just short of shouting.

"But pappa, Invellious invited me to join the hunt, how could I refuse one of our leaders?" said the girl.

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:29:05 PM »
Even still, for Elberrin, it's a matter of pride.
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 12:30:58 PM »
OOC: Oh, okay I get you now. Anyone who has seen Ivellious' expertise in the bow would not look down upon you though. The man's expert use borders on the supernatural. Anyone who may overhear such a thing might instead jump up and say "ME TOO! ME TOO!"

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:20:56 PM »
No no, he get's that, he just doesn't want anyone else to hear him say that. that would be like if I went out onto the production floor and said "I can't turn on this computer, can someone help me? Even if there were a couple people who knew it was a code, others would begin to wonder at my efficiency as an IT guy... :)

He'll say it, but he's going to be very indignant about it. Just picture Warf saying "I need a hug"
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »
OOC: Does this mean that Elberrin doesn't understand that Ivellious would obviously relay to the quartermaster the secret message and what it means? I am not trying to split hairs, just want to understand your thought process behind Elberrin's muttering. I don't want there to be any out of game confusion.

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
Elberrin sighed and shook his head slightly... saying under his breath for his own ears, "There's nothing that fellow could do for my bow... probably couldn't even draw it...  ...be coming to ME for help with HIS bow..."[/i]
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 12:09:55 PM »
"That's why I am having you say that. Because you wouldn't."

(OOC: Dude, note the thread title, poetic heh?)

With that, Ivellious shook Elberrin's hand and began to walk back in the direction of his tent.

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »
"well" Elberrin said, "I'm not sure that I want to say that... if there's anything that I am skilled with, aside from the throwing knives, it's the bow. wouldn't there be anything else I could say?
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 01:01:34 PM »
With the conversation at an end, Ivellious led Elberrin to the group of student archers and gathered them together.

"Now for something of a treat, or fright, depending on how you look at it." He said with a chuckle.

With that, Ivellious let out a loud whistle. It was hard to believe such a loud piercing noise had come from the small elven man.

He looked at the sky and waited. As did the students, who fidgeted with anticipation and wonder of what was to come.

Six giant eagles suddenly dove into view from the mountains behind them and in a few moments landed in the clearing. Each one had a riding saddle.

"These are not natives. How did they get here?" Asked Syth.

"No they are not." Ivellious answered as he walked over to the large eagle who bowed its head for a good scratching. The ranger seemed happy to oblige.

"They are creatures loyal to Dullstrand. A loyalty that stems from an old alliance between the city and the creatures it has long protected." He said while stoking the bird's neck feathers.

"These brave souls flew here and just arrived a day ago. It was a long and dangerous flight over open water, with no guarantee of a safe landing. Yet they did it anyway. And they are now here to help us. Their are ten in all, the others must be at a nest that they are trying to establish. Would you believe that they can get in and out of the saddles completely on their own?" He asked, not taking his attention away from the majestic bird.

"Are we going to ride them back to the beach?" Asked Trinity, her eyes alight with excitement.

"Yes we are my girl, yes we are." Ivellious said.

"I'm walking." Gage said flatly and turned to leave.

No one stopped him as walked over to the gazebo and disappeared through the concealed trap door in the floor.

Ivellious looked over at Elberrin. "I was counting on that. Needed someone to bring the boat back anyway." He said with a chuckle.

Syth, Cainell, Trinity, Elberrin and Ivellious mounted their birds. And after quick flying instructions from Ivellious, that consisted of 'hang on tight', they were soon soaring in the air.

It was a short dive to the beach, but one that saved them hours.

Trinity reluctantly got off her eagle, with her first complaint of the day. "That was entirely to short a trip," she said.

The group soon broke up, with Ivellious promising that he would take them out on another hike soon. Trinity looked a little aprehensive as she headed back to the mess hall in the late afternoon sun. Elberrin knew that her father would take his anger with Arnine out on her.

Ivellious took Elberrin aside as the others headed off.

"If you ever need to speak to me on the issue we discussed up there, tell the quartermaster you need help with your bow. He will know what that means and I will seek you out. Continue on your normal duties until I can find you and speak with you." He said quietly.

"Any questions?"

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 09:14:32 PM »
"Fair enough."
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 08:41:30 PM »
Ivellious chuckled. "Had him checked out before we left the docks of Dullstrand. He's a small time scout who once belonged to a small time company. Beyond that, he is an entertaining little man with a lot of character. For the time being, I think your friend will give us nothing serious to worry about."

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 08:08:37 PM »
Quote from: Dray
"Just keep an eye out for individuals who seem to be a little too chatty with everyone, or someone that causes disturbences by complaining to his or her fellows, or anyone suspicious for that matter."


"What's your take on the halfling Mel?"
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 06:23:39 PM »
Ivellious looked past Elberrin and at the others still intermittently shooting. It was getting late in the afternoon.

"Not sure exactly. But know this, back in Dullstrand, we only had 6 months to prepare for this grand adventure. In that short frame of time though, enemies of the City-State could easily have planted spies within our midst." At Elberrin's look of concern he added, "But these aren't the spy-assassins of wartime we had seen years ago. No, these would be simple mercanaries hired to simply gather and possibly relay information."

He stopped to throw a knife, hitting the log square in the middle.

"But I still want to flesh out any miscreants. After all, some may get further orders to attempt dismantle or delay what we are trying to build here. I cannot allow that to happen." He paused again, nodding for Elberrin to throw his ready knife, which he landed perfectly to the right of the one just thrown by Ivellious.

He continued after Elberrin gave a small smile in satisfaction.

"Just keep an eye out for individuals who seem to be a little too chatty with everyone, or someone that causes disturbences by complaining to his or her fellows, or anyone suspicious for that matter."

Ivellious stopped to watch Trinity fire another round. She missed each time, but the girl, unlike Gage, was still trying.

Offline Griznuq

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1720
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 01:07:15 PM »
Elberrin was very honored by the compliments and Ivellios' confidence. He showed nothing on his face however. "I would be honored. I am truely touched by your level of trust in me. I shall do as you ask."

After a short moment of quiet, Elberrin said "What sort of thing are you expecting to hear?"
=]V[=

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Elberrin's Bow
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 12:11:21 PM »
Ivellious considered Elberrin's thoughts for a moment. When he spoke, his tone and words changed to match the serious demeanor Elberrin had set.

"You surprise me with your own maturity Elberrin. By that I mean no disrespect to you, it is more of a reflection upon my own misjudgement of character. I thought the man within the adventuring group had promise. When he asked to come after overhearing Syth and I, I thought he would indeed show more respect to the lessen." He paused for a moment and considered something.

"Elberrin, you and the other students kept keen interest during a lesson that was more of a hot-day hike then anything else. Syth is an already experienced, if not introverted Ranger. Cainell I think a bit too jumpy and light in the head to be a ranger. As for Trinity? She has a lot of spirit for a young human girl. I may have to get her away from her bastard father, take her under my wing and train her up a bit. But you Elberrin, I could use an elf like you to help me. I would ask you to watch over all of these adventurers, especially for ones like Gage. As you work from day to day and attend these beachstock parties, could you keep an ear to the ground? I want to know if there are more disgruntled men and women in our midst so as to anticipate any possible trouble and shoot it down before it takes flight."