Author Topic: Jarmok Questions Kit  (Read 210 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
Duthash Albyr Syncath [May 3rd, 237 VY]

The rescuing of the pilgrims was not satisfying for Jarmok; they had gotten there too late for most, and those that did survive would likely have night terrors for the rest of their lives. Jarmok knew only too well that particular award for survival.

He tried to not think about the poor souls who were lost, and the poorer ones who were saved. He lay on the floor near the fire in his little cabin; he hadn't been able to sleep in a bed - other than while convalescing with the gypsies - since he could remember. His leg and shoulder ached and oozed thickening blood, but he knew that they would be mending themselves soon and would likely be gone but for some minor scar tissue by morning.

When the rat had exploded in the subterranian temple, Jarmok thought it was frighteningly odd, but in the caves, when the lizard-thing exploded, that was different. The waif, he was now sure, was the cause of that. But she seemed afraid of herself. No one, he thought, should be alone and afraid of themselves. She is in need of a friend now, that much was clear, and she needn't be as skittish and frieghtened as she was. If Jarmok was any judge, she was not fully grown; little more than a child, despite her appearance.

As he considered how best to help her, yet keep secret what she obviously wanted to retain, sleep overtook him as he watched the flames caper lightly in the fireplace.

Crisp early morning air and a sharp pain in his head wakened Jarmok before the sun breached the eastwall. He looked around, his head fuzzy and sat up, then, succuming to gravity's brutal force, he fell down through fronds that tore at his face and hands. He tried ineffectually to grasp some purchase, but what little there was to be found was fleeting and harsh. He only did himself more damage.

Stunned and bleeding, but on the ground at last, he found himself laying prostrate beneath a broad southern fir. How it came to pass that he was in that tree, he could not guess...although shards of a dream of flying pierced his mind rather suddenly. Something odd was clearly afoot.

Whatever the case, it was near-dawn and he should be up and about already. Intimate with all areas of this forest, he rose stiffly and returned to his cabin. Dressing - but leaving his sleeves short so that the fresh wounds upon his hands and lower arms might be more rapidly healed by the morning air - and gathering his weapons, he left on his daily tour to the westwall; he was late, but that could not be helped.

Threshold was yet quiet, as it tended to be. Maal, Jarmok thought, would doubtless be touring the southern fringes about now. Jarmok picked up his gait, jogging toward the Rosewalk. He had already missed the sunrise, but he could at least poke around the forest for signs of the rat-man. He needed to collect Maal and go looking for him, he reminded himself, time was of the essence.

Jarmok was surprised to see the familiar cuvaceous form of Kit walking through the early Sythus morning towards the Rosewalk ahead of him. She was alone, and it was unusual for her to be about this time of the day. His thoughts of last night came unbidden to his mind, and her current solitude punctuated his conviction that she seemed to feel very much alone. Again he picked up his gait to catch up with her; opportunity had surfaced, and he would be remiss if he did not seize it.

He ran up behind her, holding his gear close as was his wont: a hunter must make no noise. That lesson, driven so repetitivly by Mercer, was now more an autonomous response than an effort. He pulled up short just behind the girl and said, "You hurt rat and lizard? Is secret?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
This tread is continued in  Jarmok Approaches the Gypsies
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:52:28 AM »
Moving casually off the road and into the shadows you move about the houses and buildings towards the glow of the fire and noise. looking out onto the field towards The Hiddenmount, the Temple to Grumbar, you see that there are several tamed campfires and a score of wagons about. The silhouettes of people pass before the fires some walking and some dancing. Music emanates from the scattered groups and you can see that several musicians are gathering together. It appears to be nothing more than folks celebrating the gift of Sythus. You can barely notice that the musicians that are gathering are wearing brightly colored clothes and seem to have a 'love of life' manner. Oddly, they seem distantly familiar.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:45:30 PM »
Recognizing that this is yet the 3rd of [May], a day before the meeting at the Stump...

Jarmok's being went on alert. He had known, of course, that Venric would bring travellers and pilgrims, and he had realized that it was now Venric, but somehow he had kept thinking that travelers would arrive "later". Alas, it was now "later".

Jarmok went to investigate the campfires. He'd should have an understanding of what's there (warriors, peasants, land-sharks?) and what impact they'll have on Threshold and Mahiya. He will slink about the fringes of the fires just to see what he can see, then off to home.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:32:12 PM »
"well, i'll see you again...travel well." Jarmok quietly slinks out and sees that there is a noticeable increase in the night life from just a few days ago. Kossuth is out longer and the sun rises earlier. From down the road to the south Jarmok can see a fiery glow that is the mark of several campfires. Also down the road Jarmok can see three short figures and one taller figure laughing and talking as they head in the same direction as he is.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:25:01 PM »
Jarmok made a quick grunt and a negating shake of his head. "Thank you." He answered. "I go" he added as he turned to leave.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Wildfire

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2288
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
With a nod Keltan responds,"I'll be most certain that she gets it good sir. Can I get you something to drink or eat? we have some fish stew tonite...very good if i do say so myself."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:21:16 AM »
Jarmok looks down at himself pondering..."I leave at Inn." He suggested. "Have to change".

Melting quickly into the trees on the eastern edge of Threshold, Jarmok returned to his cabin, his morning plans suddenly changed. He changed out of his damaged armor and bundled it as Mercer taught him.

Donning brown britches and fir-green tunic, Axe and Bow, he bounded down the hills back into Threshold to leave his armor at the Thornhedge. As is his habit, he opened the door only wide enough for him to slip in, and then approached Kalten. Holding his bundled chest plate indicitively, he stated loudly enough for Kalten to hear, but no louder: "For Kit."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 10:29:48 PM »
OOC: Note that I have changed the date in the opener to reflect the coordinated (with Wildfire) date of this conversation (May 3rd).

"Um, sure, hand it to me. If you would like, I could do a really good job on the entire chest piece. Just give me today and tomorrow and it could be better than new! I will visit the leathery then head over to Spinners. In fact, why don't you meet me at the Stump tomorrow night, I was hoping all of us in the Protecterate could talk anyway. You know, and maybe do a little planning on how to better protect this town." Kit was very animated as she talked, as if suddenly realizing she had a lot to do.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 10:25:01 AM »
Stopping a short distance and turning to face Kit, Jarmok asks: "You fix armor?" He indicates his shoulder where the armor is torn and bloody. "I clean, find you in morning?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 07:50:37 AM »
"Thank you Jarmock."

Kit stood quietly while Jarmock turned to leave. She wiped the last tear from her face and gave a small smile. The trees beyond Jarmock danced in the wind, and she suddenly thought it was a beautiful day here in Threshold.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 02:19:54 PM »
Quote from: Dray
"Then yes. I have the abilities of a Seer." She waited for a response. When she got none she continued.

"But I am a freak Jarmock...intellect...Seers...emotion...hurt my friends,"...afraid to look at Jarmock.
me[/i] alive. I will keep secret; you need help, I will help." He looked up at the young girl sympathetically then cocked his head slightly, straining to hear.

"People wake. I go home." He rose smoothly to his full height, eye-to-eye with his new friend and took her small, smooth, delicate hand between his calloused, long-fingered ones. Fresh, not-quite-healed scratches and deep tears evidenced themselves on the back of his upper hand and upon his forearm. Kit wondered why she hadn't seen them earlier.

"I will help you." He reiterated. "Trust in self."

He looked again up and down the street and over the Rosewalk (I think), appearing like cornered prey. Then turned to leave.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »
Kit watched Jarmock intently as he spoke. It took a moment or two, after he was done speaking, for the meaning of his words and gestures to catch up to her.

"Well, I use.....I make the humming," she started as she began to imitate the gestures Jarmock used, "from my head to make bad things happen to bad creatures," she continued as she tapped her head. Suddenly, she realized she was making a fool of herself.

"Wait a minute, you can underst....hear me a lot better than I can hear you. True?" she asked as she flushed.

At his nod, she sighed with relief.

"Then yes. I have the abilities of a Seer." She waited for a response. When she got none she continued.

"But I am a freak Jarmock. Unlike the Seers who are smart and educated in the art, I am nothing but a freak," she said as she looked at the ground where she was moving a rock around with her foot.

In a whisper she said. "Instead of using my intellect like the Seers, I use raw emotion to summon the power. That's why I don't like to use it. It always feels reckless, like I could lose control. And I don't want to hurt my friends," she said, continuing to play with the rock, afraid to look at Jarmock.

Offline Johan

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2062
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:01:28 PM »
Quote from: Dray
"You are certainly a quiet one aren't you?"
After a moment, the words of his question caught up to her mind.

"What do you mean by secret? We all hurt the rats and lizards." she said.[/quote]...ripping. Is your...help? Is OK; better, really. Help is always good; saved my life. Others too. You don't like help, yes?
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Offline Dray

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1835
    • View Profile
Jarmok Questions Kit
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 12:20:54 PM »
Kit jumped out of her skin.

She hadn't heard him behind her until the question was asked. She had never realized how quiet the town was this early in the morning, and until Jarmock frightened her, was just starting to enjoy the solitude.

"Jarmock you scared me straight into Avernus!" she exclaimed. She actually had to stop and get her breath, her hand over her chest, feeling her heart race.

"You are certainly a quiet one aren't you?" after a moment, the words of his question caught up to her mind.

"What do you mean by secret? We all hurt the rats and lizards." she said.