Griznuq Gaming

D&D Campaigns => Threshold => In Character Discussions => Topic started by: fraz on December 05, 2005, 10:12:25 PM

Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 05, 2005, 10:12:25 PM
Duthash Zinnyas Basque: Night [11 May]

Maal Brengain and Dale leave Jarmok at the jail house to guard the prisoner while they walk across town to Ashe's house.

The wildlander's wounds are in need of treatment and her muscles are stiffening up now that the battle is over. She walks somewhat gingerly through the now strangely quiet town...
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 21, 2005, 11:56:42 AM
OOC: End of ICD
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 16, 2005, 12:53:39 PM
Ashe gets some clean rags and begins to tend to Dale's wounds. "They always were a hardy folk, Dale. I wonder what brings her away from the war."

Not expecting an answer from sleeping Dale, Ashe starts to hum a pleasant tune to himself.
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 16, 2005, 12:31:04 PM
"Aright, thank ye, Ashe." Maal Brengain rises, moving somewhat stiffly, and departs from the cabin.
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 16, 2005, 08:40:00 AM
Ashe shakes his head again, "Dale will be okay until I get you set. Let me take a look at the one on your back."

Ashe moved around behind Maal to examine the damage. "Okay, when I tell you take in a deep breath. Ready? BREATHE!!"

Ashe pulled the arrow out as it had gone in and immediately covered the wound with a salve covered bandage and secured it on. He did also covered the sword wound.

"Well, that should just about do it. I get the feeling that you'll be spending much time here in the future. And don't worry, next time I'll ask you before I give you the sleeping brew, okay? And don't forget to come here tomorrow so I can check on your wounds. You can stop by on your morning patrol if you like. I'll be awake."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 15, 2005, 09:13:10 PM
"Er, well I still got another in me back 'ere..." Maal Brengain indicates the second arrow sticking out of her right side behind her arm.

"This one's jus' a bit deeper, so I'll let ye handle it... An' I got a slight gash o'er 'ere from a sword tha' ye should maybe look at. I can wait 'til after ye 'ave tended ta Dale... Yer still no' puttin' me ta sleep, though!"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 15, 2005, 08:50:03 AM
Ashe purses his lips into a frown and grabs a large clean rag and says, "AAHH, you daft Wildlander! There's a better way of doing that y'know! Next time let me do it so it's done right!" Ashe presses the rag against Maal's wound. "Hold that there so I can get a tie off to wrap around the bandage."

Ashe walks to the other side of the room shaking his head and muttering under his breath. He gets a small belt and grabs a jar from one of his shelves.

"You've got some spirit in you I'll give you that. You can take the girl out of the Wildlands but you can't take the Wildlands out of the girl! Heh!!"

Ashe pulls the rag from Maal's wound and dabs some salve from the jar onto a new rag and then presses it hard against the cut. He then wraps the belt over the rag and buckles it tight.

By this time Dale had almost fallen completely away into a deep slumber and heard only babbling from Ashe. Unable to keep his eylids up any longer Dale fell into the chasm of sleep.

"Okay, that'll have to stay tight for at least tonight. It maybe uncomfortable but after yanking an arrow out of yourself I'm sure comfort is not a paramount concern. Make sure you come and see me tomorrow...that wound has to stay clean. Okay? If you want to at least rest here for a while you're welcome to it. I have to tend to Dale but I can get you something to drink and some cheese and bread to eat if you like. But I know that you might have things to do about town...especially given the nights events."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 14, 2005, 11:48:29 PM
Dale gasps in shock as Maal pulls a large chunk of flesh out of her body.
"What's wrong with you?  Do you like pain?"

Mental note: Don't ever ask Maal for any healing help!
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 14, 2005, 11:45:21 PM
Dale gasps in shock as Maal pulls a large chunk of flesh out of her body.

Ashe says "OOH!  I think that's a piece of your lung!", as he points to a large section of pink tissue.

Dale responds in a bad imitation of the Wildlander's accent, "Better hope ya kin put that back where ya found it Maal!"

Maal you take 7 more poinys of damage for not letting the medic safely remove the barbed arrow!  Can you say OOOUUUUCH!!!!

Maal, tough as nails says in a wheezy voice, "its ok .... I feel...  a ....  lot ....better now..."

Thanks for watching another episode of E.R.   Michael Crichton would be proud! :lol:
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 14, 2005, 08:26:42 PM
"Oh no ye don'!" Maal Brengain replies as she gently, but forcefully, pushes the mug away. "Yer no' puttin' me ta sleep ag'in as ye did b'fore! No' when thar be enemies aboot. This is when we are most vulnerable - jus' after an attack when we are wounded - an' I don' want half of our Protec'trate useless in a deep slumber!

"B'sides, these arrows aren't very deep a' all. I know how ta turn me body ta avoid takin' em full on, an' me armor helped absorb some o' th' impact too, methinks... I jus need ye to treat and bandage th' wounds once I pull 'em free."

With a sneer of defiance, the wildlander grasps the shaft of the shorter, broken arrow with her left hand and jerks it free from her flesh and armor. Blood oozes from the aggravated wound...

OOC: My thinking here is that Maal took a total of 7 points of damage from the two arrow strikes. That's really not much compared to her total of 39 HP, so they couldn't be very deep wounds...
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 14, 2005, 07:37:35 PM
Dale takes a snif of the green brew and curls his nose up at the concoction.   Without thinking about it he tips the cup and drains the potion.   Choking a little on the foul taste, Dale smiles and says, "That'll clear a headache!"

He then lies back and prepares for a good night's sleep.   As he waits to drift into unconciousness, Dale wonders if having Ashe digging out the arrowhead will be more amenable to a restful sleep than listening to the smelly dwarf snore away at the in.  If he wakes better rested in the morning, Dale might just go get himself shot again!
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 14, 2005, 07:50:50 AM
Ashe was wrapping bandages on Kit's leg, "I saw the fire across the river. I was wondering what was going on but figured that I'd learn about it soon enough. Kit only briefly explained what happened before she fell asleep. Take a bed and I'll be with you in short order."

Soon thereafter Ashe finished with Kit and went over to his work table. He grabbed two mugs and scooped some fine green powder in. "Maal, you'll be familiar with this brew I'm sure. Dale, this doesn't taste the best but it gets the job done."

Ashe went over to the kettle over the fire and poured some of the steaming water into the mugs. He turned to Maal and Dale and handed them the mugs. "Okay, drink up. You don't want to be awake when I pull those arrows out. If they're anything like the barbed arrows that were in Kit this proceedure could be...messy. But come morning you'll be right as rain...not to worry."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 13, 2005, 09:18:51 PM
Maal Brengain steps into Ashe's home.

"Aye, Ashe... we fought off some wolf-rats an' cloaked archers. Matter o' fact we captured one o' th' men an' 'ave 'im locked up b'hind the Council House right now, e'en as we speak..."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 13, 2005, 08:35:47 PM
Dale opens the door to Julius' home and steps through the threshold.  He curiously peers ahead to see what Ashe might be up to with Kit.  At another time, he might have made a snide remark, but the arrowhead buried in his shoulder was far too painful.

"Hi Ashe... Kit.   Maal and I could use some help too... when you get a chance."  In a lower voice he whispers to Ashe, "I think Maal might need your attentions before I do.  She took some nasty shots in the skirmish."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 13, 2005, 08:51:18 AM
From inside Maal and Dale hear, "Aye Dale, I'm home. Come on in. I've got my hands full with Kit right now...er, yeah."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 13, 2005, 12:40:59 AM
After a 6 day journey :lol:  Dale and Maal arrive at Ashe's home.  Exhausted from the battle, Dale wearily knocks on the druid's door.  Each rap sends a shock through the wound in his opposite shoulder.   "Hello, Ashe.  You home?  We could use some help."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 08, 2005, 12:57:57 PM
Maal follows Dale in silence...
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 07, 2005, 08:58:14 PM
Dale stood off to the side and watched the conversation between Severen and his friends.   Unconsciously, Dale kept patting his club into the palm of his hand as he coldly stared at Severen.    

Almost as if waking from a dream, Dale snapped back into the present and began marching towards Ashe's house.  "Come on Maal.  Let's get on our way..."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Johan on December 07, 2005, 04:24:04 PM
So let it be written...
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 07, 2005, 02:55:09 PM
Severen again smiles wryly, "Sufficient enough for me it is." He looks at Maal and Dale and says dismissively, "Carry on good heroes."

OOC: I think it would be a good idea to spin Severen and Mac into a different ICD so that the intention of this current ICD isn't compromised.
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Johan on December 07, 2005, 02:11:18 PM
Maccabeus shrugged indifferently. "I know Julius, and have worked for him with Maal and Dale and others in the few days that we've been here. Trust? I don't know. But I've got Ashe's trust firm enough, and my sense is that Julius has fairly complete trust in Ashe. Would that be sufficient for you?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 07, 2005, 01:35:53 PM
Severen regards Maccabeus with a look of respect and says, "My name is Severen, pleasure to meet. I suppose my prime concern is the trust Julius would have in your testimony. Realistically it makes no difference to me who might witness just as long they have Julius's trust. Do you?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Johan on December 07, 2005, 01:21:36 PM
"Hello." Maccabeus said cordially. "My name is Maccabeus, and I would submit that if you need a witness for any reason, there's none better than one ignorant of the...situation." He borrowed Severen's word. "In the form of trust, I wouldn't be informed enough to bear false witness to anything you might be doing. But have it as you will; it makes no difference to me."

He turned to inspect Maal then, and noted Dale as her companion. The arrows buried in each of them were obvious now, although he hadn't noted them before. "As for healing ability, mine is as nothing compared with Ashe's, but I can beseech Mahiya to stem your bleeding, at least. It'd be painful to extract the arrows, but you'll get no worse. All said, you'd likely be best served visiting Ashe." Maccabeus regarded Maal and Dale expectantly.
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 07, 2005, 12:50:20 PM
Severen looks down at Maccabeus and Wolf. A glimmer of wonder came into Severens eyes for a split moment in his estimating glance. "I'd rather someone who knows the situation bear witness. Besides, I know that you're a member of the Protectorate. Your friend here is not known to me." Severen said smoothly. "If the short one here has healing ability then perhaps he could heal you and we could continue with our task."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 07, 2005, 12:34:02 PM
Maal Brengain turns partially to greet the gnome and wolf without letting Severen leave her peripheral vision, "Steady, Maccabeus, I'll be fine. There was an attack on th' town this evening... We fought 'em off..."

Turning her attention back to Severen for a moment, the Wildlander fixes her stare upon the priest, "Hmph... I ne'er 'eard o' a priest tha' couldna treat wounds. Well, perhaps Maccabeus here will consent ta remain an' bear witness to yer actions while Dale an' me go to get our wounds treated. Why don' ye tell 'im wha ye need?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Johan on December 07, 2005, 12:03:54 PM
The acrid smell of smoke was borne heavily upon the north-bound breeze of night air. Wolf was agitated. This was not an ordinary campfire, or even a bon-fire. It was clear to Maccabeus that this was a fire of much greater magnitude.

"What say you, friend?" He asked Wolf ?Shall we hasten to town to see if there's a problem. Wolf seemed confident that there was indeed an issue. As Maccabeus moved towards the swamp-entrance to the Ring, Wolf stood tall and went towards the paths that led towards Coryndar fields.

"No, silly," Maccabeus corrected his friend. "Not through the field, we should be going through the back way."

Wolf growled at him and took a few more steps towards the Path of Shrines, as Maccabeus had grown to call that direction. After a few steps Wolf turned back towards the gnome and gruffed at him.

"The fire is that large, then? Maccabeus sensed the urgency in Wolf's demeanor, and gave in to the big canine. He hopped upon Wolf's back and gripped tight to the thick fur there. Wolf was off like a shot, darting through the passage and out through the accommodating vinery.

Wolf's powerful strides brought them in short order across the Anglehawk bridge. As they neared Threshold, Maccabeus realized that Wolf had been correct: this was a much larger fire than Mac had thought. Wolf was wise to choose the Path of Shrines and the fields as their route, as that path was far faster than the swamp route. The question at hand was whether this had been a fire of Mahiya's doing, or man's.

Wolf dodged around those people who were not quick enough to move from his path and brought Maccabeus up to the Thornhedge. Peering through the night, he saw a tall warrior woman, who in this place could only be Maal, and a companion heading over the Rosewalk. They were now on the far side of that span and appeared to be listing, as though they were hurt or extremely tired.

Wolf jogged towards them, sensing his burden's thinking. He caught up with the two figures as they were talking to a third man - one who Maccabeus didn't recognize. He was tall and lean, cloaked in dark robes with a silver waist-chain that clasped in front with some sort of insignia-bearing buckle. Maccabeus couldn't make it out clearly, nor did her realy care to. The man was talking to Maal in a smooth, almost silky voice, "...be a witness for me if you're too wounded to return here?"

"Maal!" Maccabeus called. "What's going on? Are you all right?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 06, 2005, 04:07:23 PM
Severen smiles wryly and says, "It is not in my nature to heal wounds, Maal. You'll have to see Ashe for that. I will, however, wait for your return. Perhaps there is another member of your precious Protectorate that can be a witness for me if you're too wounded to return here?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: fraz on December 06, 2005, 03:55:23 PM
"Hail Severen. Well, as ye can see we're both injured an' are heading ta Ashe's house ta request some healing?"

Maal Brengain indicates the two arrows that protrude from her armor on her right side.  The first arrow shaft, embedded in front of her right arm, is broken in half. The second, embedded behind her arm, is still intact. Although she won't admit it or show it, she is in a great deal of pain. The arrows move about slightly in the wounds as she walks and moves and her armor shifts about over her body.

"So, this be a bad time fer ye ta be askin' fer favors," she continues. "Yet? I would be willin' ta remain and be witness to yer actions if'n ye can treat me wounds in some way once I've removed these arrows? What say ye? Is tha' something ye can do fer me?"
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Wildfire on December 06, 2005, 08:13:00 AM
Behind the two companions were three smoldering buildings as testament to the nights activities. The visitors to the town spoke in hushed tones and seemed to be generally spooked by the whole incident.

As Maal and Dale crossed onto the Foot they could hear a calm, and even voice from their left. "Maal and whoever," Severen says. Behind him and in front of the House of Crimson Eyes is the cart of dead bodies from the attack. "My greeting to you on this night. I need you to be witness to an action of mine. The teeth from the Carcass Eaters need to be knocked out and burned. I ask that you watch because if I were to do it alone and report my actions to Julius that it might seem suspicious given my...devotions."
Title: The Walking Wounded
Post by: Blackspear on December 05, 2005, 10:44:47 PM
Dale starts to pick at the cloth around the arrow shaft protruding from his left shoulder.  Despite the pain he feels very lucky.  A little lower and the arrow would have killed him...

"Its a good thing Ashe is willing to tend to our wounds.  Mine looks like it might fester."

"Its also good that the entire protectorate was ready for that attack.   Those bastards might have burned the whole town down if we hadn't stopped them....