Griznuq Gaming

D&D Campaigns => Threshold => In Character Discussions => Topic started by: Johan on November 28, 2005, 03:54:23 PM

Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on November 28, 2005, 03:54:23 PM
Duthash Zinnyas Voldyn [May 7th]

He had wisely returned to his own form before approaching Little Theshold. He was still nauseated by the transformation, but the headaches seemed to be getting less severe with each iteration.

The field workers that he approached had surprisingly little to say to him. Many of them had not seen anything at all; given their work and the fact that the lights had graced the sky so late in the night, most were sound asleep and were unaware of the lights.

They did, however, tell him about the goings-ons of the last days. Of the bandits that had been seen skulking about, and that Maal had been there with some other folks - people whose descriptions Jarmok did not recognize. Except maybe the wolf. He reminded himself.

The tracks that he found littering the area had verified the reports that he got: there had been quite a bit of activity in the south reaches of Coryndar Fields yesterday. Maal's prints were evident, as were several others, a large wolf and a large stag included, but for the most part they all seemed to melt into the dense bramble as though the thicket had not even been there the day before. He couldn't explain it.

But perhaps Juilius could. Any such activity would surely have captured his attention. Maybe Ashe's too.

Thus it was that he had run the distance from Little Threshold to Threshold proper and arrived at the Council House amidst the crowded streets. Closing the noise outside, he greeted the young lady busy at her desk as usual.

"Julius?" He asked. He berated himself inwardly; he was getting tired of so poorly expressing himself. This tongue might be foreign to him, but it would likely be his tongue for a long while. He determined to learn it better, but in the meantime, he would just make do as best he could.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 14, 2005, 10:25:29 AM
Jarmok's round, bulbous eyes shifted nervously. "Not know. People do." He said simply." He smiled rather feebly at Maal. "Go now." Then he turned to leave.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 13, 2005, 09:47:59 PM
Maal Brengain stares at Jarmok's extended hand for a moment and then reaches out and clasps it with her own.

"Why are we claspin' hands, Jarmok? 'Ave we reached some sort o' agreement?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 10, 2005, 10:28:36 AM
<sluuurpt>..."Talked Julius before you." Jarmok answered. "Not far go, tomorrow." Jarmok finished his tankard of ale in one long pull and rose then. "Thank...you." He said slowly. "Home now, bramble during early morning." He held his hand out to the wild woman in the fashion that he noted was customary among the folk here in Threshold. "Oh, need look at guardhouse." He mentioned. "Bad may go there if empty long. Make part morning tour, but might want look close. Tomorrow, hope."
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 09, 2005, 11:07:54 PM
"Ach! There was an opening in th' brambles when we were there..." <sluuurp> "Perhaps it's closed up now. Hmph! As I recall, one of our newer members, a gnome named Maccabeus, stayed behind ta keep an eye on things out there. <sluuuurp> An' another new arrival named Sayer was gonna make a report ta Julius. Maybe ye should check with Julius before goin' all th' way back out there?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 09, 2005, 10:30:37 PM
Jarmok stared at Maal quizzically. "Tracks easy." He said, perhaps a little defensively. "No path into woods. Just bushes. Tracks right into [guestures, driving one hand, fingers first into his other palm] bramble."

He shook his head bewilderedly. "Look again tomorrow." He drank deep of the ale that Keltan had brought him.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 09, 2005, 08:44:28 PM
"Eh? I jus tol' ye where it was!" exclaims the wildlander. "'Tis across th' field past th' barn. Are ye sayin' tha' ye can find our tracks, but ye cannot follow them inta th' woods?" Maal Brengain snorts and takes a sip of her ale.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 08, 2005, 09:56:46 PM
Jarmok bobbed his head in understanding as the wildlander spoke. "How go in bush?" He asked. "Found tracks," he smiled as he spoke and continued, saying "many tracks easy find. But bush full, no path. Where go in?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 08, 2005, 06:06:14 PM
"I'll be fine. Ye needn't worry aboot me," replies the wildlander. After a pause, "Th' bramble maze was on th' other side o' th' fields... past th' barn. I'm sure ye could follow our tracks... they should still be fresh enough. Speak with Jared if ye go... he's th' farmhand in charge there." Maal Brengain takes another long pull from her tankard.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 07, 2005, 09:47:07 AM
Jarmok attended Maal closely as she spoke. She had a manner of speach and being that was different from other people in Threshold. By and large she still included a fair number of "extra" words that Jarmok had yet to master, but she placed them a bit differnt. He wasn't sure how they were different; he'd have to compare her dialect with others. Julius and Ashe would be good studies in this fashion, he thought.

"Where bandits?" He asked. "Saw tracks..." he interrupted himself and restarted his sentence, but very slowly. "...I...saw tracks many...of...many people...and...things in field." He paused a moment, seeming to have lost track of himself. "Went in bush." He began again. "Is maze in bush? Want look." He finished, abandoning his language lesson for the night.

[ung] "You better?" He added then.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 06, 2005, 09:18:04 PM
Maal simply nods her thanks to Keltan as he brings her the dwarven ale. She then stretches out her long legs and props her feet up on the table while leaning back in her chair.

After taking a long pull of the dark brew she speaks, "Aye, I think all o' the grey-skinned bandits be dead, Jarmok. They... disappear inta dust when they die. Very strange, indeed! As fer lights in th' night... I dinna see tha'. I was very... ill. I went straight ta see Ashe after, an' he gave me somethin' tha' put me out so I could rest."
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on December 06, 2005, 11:18:29 AM
OOC: Maal's knowledge would be hearsay at best (if at all) as she was unconcious. Most in the town probably wouldn't have seen it. Rumors might be festering in town but that would be about it.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 06, 2005, 11:15:02 AM
Quote from: green:9edaf42482
Before I answer in character... Did Maal see the lights?  I don't recall when that was exactly.  Was it at night after the fight?  If so, Maal was basically unconscious, since Ashe slipped her a Mickey to make her rest and recover.  Let me know and then I can tailor my in-character answer...[/color]
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 06, 2005, 10:13:25 AM
"Ale." Jarmok answered Keltan. He sat gingerly in a chair and turned back to Maal then.

"Sorry not here." He said ruefully. "See lights in night? Part of fight? Know bandits do? All dead?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on December 06, 2005, 07:57:59 AM
Keltan arrives with the special Dwarven Dark brew that he has become accustomed to giving Maal.

Speaking in softer tones Keltan askes, "Jarmok, is there anything that you would like to drink? Since you are also part of the Protectorate it comes at no cost. Maybe some water or milk? I don't know if you...well, would you like an ale?"

The common room of the Thornhedge was somewhat busy but not obtrusively so. In the other wing of the common room a slow sedate melody could be heard accompanied by the indistinguishable telling of a story to many children.

OOC: I'm having a good time imagining Jarmok trying to understand Maal talking in her broge Wildlander dialect of common. Poor guy must get so confused!
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 05, 2005, 09:49:48 PM
"Well, I don' much care where we talk... I jus would like ta sit an' rest fer a bit while we're a-talkin'." Maal Brengain moves towards the corner of the room and, after dropping her spear and shield unceremoniously upon the floor, sits upon an empty chair.

"Aye, there were strange grey-skinned men in the woods out there," she begins. "There is a... a maze, I guess ye'd call it, o' brambles out there b'yond Coryndar Fields. There be some new folk joinin' our Protec'trate an' I went with 'em ta investigate what th' farmers thought were bandits..."

The wildlander pauses and looks over towards the bar to see if anyone is coming over with some ale...
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 05, 2005, 08:57:12 PM
"unng." Jarmok began slowly. "Want know what happened? Creech-yours in fields?" He looked around cautiously then. "Not here?" He asked.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 05, 2005, 08:27:38 PM
Maal Brengain steps into the busy common room. "Hail, Jarmok. Ye wish ta speak with me? Shall we sit 'ere, or d'ye wish ta speak in private?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 05, 2005, 08:01:33 PM
Yep - thanks, and sorry for the ambiguity.

Jarmok scanned the populated common room of the Thornhedge, but saw no sign of any of the other members of the Protectorate. He moved as unobtrusively as posible towards the serving counter and Keltan, manning his charge.

[cough] "Maal in room?" He asked quietly. He wondered how one more proficient with this tongue would ask that question; they always seemed to use a lot more words than Jarmok did. He would have to think on it, and listen more closely.

Before the half-elf could answer, the door swung wide and the lean wildlander stood in the doorway. Jarmok turned momentarily back towards Keltan and said, "Not in room." With that he turned and approached his comrade, motioning towards her to catch her attention as he moved towards the door.

"Moment?" He asked hopefully.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: fraz on December 05, 2005, 07:15:39 PM
OOC: I think this can follow the Waiting for Kyle (http://griznuq.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=546) thread...
 
Maal Brengain has just left Philip Stagdrake's Bearded Beasts Leather & Butchery Shop and, after crossing over the Rosewalk, sees Jarmok entering the Thornhedge Inn.

She strides forward through the crowded streets and approaches the front of the inn, reaching her long arm out towards the handle of the door...
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on December 05, 2005, 04:25:25 PM
"Hugh." Jarmok glanced nervously about. "Thank you." He acknowledged this compliment then left the council house. It was fairly early, and he didn't really get all the answers that he was hoping for.

He looked up and down the busy noon streets and headed for the Thornhedge. Hopefully, Maal would be able to describe to him the odd goings-ons.

He opened the door to the inn enough that he could slip through quietly and closed it gently, casting about the common room for the tall warrioress.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on November 29, 2005, 04:20:57 PM
Julius says quietly, "Jarmok, Mercer chose well when he chose you to take his place."
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on November 29, 2005, 04:14:33 PM
"Hugh." Jarmok grunted. "Go Home. Rest little." He rose from the chair carefully. "Thank you." He said as he turned to leave.
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on November 29, 2005, 03:02:15 PM
Julius smiles and says, "I did see the lights. I must say I found it quite inspiring. That same sort of display happened last Rynnyx away to the north and west. Most of the people here didn't see the light last night since they were sleeping. Some travelers saw it though and have been talking of it around town. They feel blessed to have been here at such a time. I'm telling you Jarmok this town carries a magic of it's own that no one can explain. Which reminds me, I've got to talk to Ashe on what he thinks this is about."
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on November 29, 2005, 02:35:30 PM
Jarmok listened intently to the councilor's words, nodding appreciatively.

"[ng], Sorry away." He apologized simply. "[Points at Julius] See lights?" He asked. "Yesternight?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on November 29, 2005, 02:23:00 PM
Julius gets up and closes the door to the room. He sits back down and begins to talk. "The bandits that the farmers spoke of were not bandits at all but something seemingly more sinister. According to the report of you your companions they followed their tracks to an ancient stone circle surrounded by evil thorn brambles. Around the circle these 'bandits' were in some ritual at which point the Protecterate destoyed them. Just so you know there are some new memebers to the Protectorate. Dale who seems to be a warrior of sorts and Maccabeus who is from far to the west. He actually has a very large wolf companion who I'm sure Mercer would have found great company with."

Julius drinks from a mug and continues, "Also, Laren and Kit have taken leave to the north for a couple of days they should return shortly. I know that there's much to take in but that's what is going on."
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Johan on November 29, 2005, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: wildfire
Would you like something to drink?"
Little Threshold. Went look today, but not see. Farmers talk bandits, see tracks, but...[wrinkles his nose and furrows his brow] not...right [looks questioningly at the elder]. What happen? Can tell?"
Title: Jarmok Returns
Post by: Wildfire on November 29, 2005, 12:44:16 PM
"Julius," the woman called out, "Jarmok is here to see you."

In the other room a chair could be heard scraping across the floor. Julius approaches the open doorway and says, "Jarmok, it's good to see you. It's a damn rare thing that you come in to town without me sending for you! But I understand that you like the peace away from these busy days. What can I do for you? please come in sit down. Would you like something to drink?"