- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Word from the Wise

Started by Wildfire, July 06, 2009, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

Word from the Wise

Qwydeon Albyr Syncath VY. 237(3 June 237)

Ashe had left the Dale of Wolves behind him. He was now in flight and heading back to his home, Threshold. He had with him the deep knowledge that would enable him to impart the location of the where the next Vallenwood would be born to Maccabeus. This paramount knowledge would be essential to saving The Goldleaf Grove and the protector, Whisper, that resided in it. Time was now of the essence.

His trip to the Dale was perhaps not the wisest choice he had made considering what was at stake. However, having been so close to the Dale and recently enlightened to the curious ways of the rugged folk through Maccabeus, he took the chance that two days more would not demand a heavy price. He hoped he was right.

Ashe soared over the forested hills of the Wildlands and once again admired the beauty of the land. With his sight he could see a great distance and in fabulous detail. The majesty of flight never ceased to inspire him.

Soon, Ashe was passing by The Tower of Zebulon, the original destination of his journey. He thought it to be ironic that his grandson, Liam, once sought his words of wisdom and was now imparting them to him. The difference was that Liam had inherited the knowledge collected from ages of beings and was the voice and hand of Mahiya. Liam was many and one at once...he was Zebulon. Thoughts of this state of being mesmerized Ashe to no end. His father, Zachary, had also become Zebulon after rediscovering the sacred Horn of Mahiya. Zachary was also instrumental in bringing the Valley back from darkness. Ashe regretted that his legacy may not be quite as polished as Liam's or his fathers.

The moment of regret passed him by as quickly as he had passed the tower. There was no place for it now. He had other things to see to that were far more important than what could have been.

OOC: I will be continuing this thread. I figured small doses were better.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Wildfire

Ashe continued on his flight. From his vantage point the dust from the Wasteland of Archea could be seen. He despised what had become of that once beautiful forest. Zyxu and his army claimed it as their own many years ago and turned it into a lesion on the flesh of Mahiya. What, if any, area would be next? Ashe shuddered at the thought especially since some minions had already been seen near Threshold in the Ring of Mists and defiled the grove.

Ashe thought of the Blood Tear and his heart started pounding at the direction his mind was taking him.
Wildfire

Wildfire

Time and the landscape passed as did Ashe's meditations and thoughts. He found comfort in the repetitive motion of his impressive silver wings. The act of flight and gliding on the mountain drafts was elegant in its simplicity. Most times he was unaware that he was even engaged in the act of flight.

It was these times of bliss that Ashe's mind was quiet and still. His thoughts were not completely conscious and his heart was fully engaged in hearing Mahiya's song.

Time passed.

Ashe could see the Wildland Forest thinning below him and ahead was an impressive spine of mountains. He was getting closer to Threshold. The clouds tore on the mountains peaks like thick spider web over grass. Their wispy tendrils curled and undulated in the mountain winds. Ashe dipped quickly and began his ascent to crest the tall peaks...his mind at peace.
Wildfire

Wildfire

Ashe breached the last tall peak and saw before him the dreadful Wasteland of Archea. A massive, thick, grey cloud shrouded the forlorn expanse and hide its decrepit secrets. The wasteland was once a beautiful and vibrant forest but fell victim to the life draining force of Zyxu Archeaon when he last emerged.

As he flew over the river that cascaded from the mountains, Ashe followed its path that took it into badlands. The crystal clear water gradually choked into a vile river of sludge before being enveloped by the cloud. The trees that remained on the border of the wasteland were twisted and leafless. They no longer had any capacity for life and were simply gnarled and pained versions of their former glory.

The desolate area would likely never recover. Ashe hoped beyond hope that it would. He had to believe that it would otherwise all that believed in would be for naught.

Ashe sped quickly towards Threshold with the words and insight Zebulon had given him. He didn't have too far to go; his anticipation almost too much to bear.
Wildfire

Wildfire

Soon he was flying over the familiar farmsteads of Little Threshold. He spied the dedicated workers tending their crops and various forms of livestock grazing in the rotation fields. In his younger days he traveled far and away but in his later years he had come to know Threshold as his only steadfast home. How he now craved to sit by his hearth and enjoy the simple pleasure of his pipe.

Upon realizing that he was so close to home, Ashe became frighteningly aware of just how tired he was. Essentially he had been awake for days. Add in a flight to the Dale and back and the fatigue was nearly insurmountable. The thought of Whisper and the precious Goldleaf Trees kept him steady and driven. The blessed grove would not fall to corruption as the one that was now a The Wasteland of Archea had; Ashe would not allow it.

He flew over the Ring of Mists and lost his breath at the sight of Vallen. The tree was becoming enormous! Rainbow hued wisps tumbled down from it's boughs showering the wolf pups in the cascade. Inspired further, Ashe sped towards Whisper as exhaustion crept over him.

Threshold was a blur. He paid no real attention to the goings on but rather, focused on the shimmering but slightly dulled golden leaves. Even in four days time the leaves appeared sicker. The defilement was waxing.

Ashe landed in a run at The Temple of Open Skies and could feel the soothing zephyr that emanated from the sacred place. He was racing against his fatigue and time.

Ahead he saw his long time companion, Istian, who was getting up from his slumber as Ashe approached.

The great bear spoke to Ashe in his mind, in the cant no less, "My friend, the forest sister awaits you."

"Thank you great one...thank you for watching over." Ashe replied.

Ashe ran straight for the tree ringed with brambles. The scent of the grove was fouled to his senses. It reminded him of his flight past the decrepit lands and he became angered despite his weariness.

He stopped short before he entered the fey's home. He had to remain calm even just to help ease her sickness. His fingers darted with an old but familiar twitch. Ashe closed his eyes and breathed...deeply. Regaining his sensibilities Ashe walked into Whispers home.
Wildfire

Wildfire

The lush, scintillating tree now commonly known as Vallen sung it's message. Maccabeus was busy analyzing the elemental glyphs carved into the stone monoliths that comprised the Ring of Mists. Through his analysis he grew to know the language that was distinct to each element; in particular the one to Istisha.

He felt the canted whisperings of the great tree...a feeling now common to him. "The son of Clearwater, the steward of this vale and my once keeper has returned, my honored tender." The luminous wisps seemed all the brighter for what could be interpreted as joy. "He resides with my golden forest sister and is weary with his toil. He will need to drink these blessed waters, the blood of our maker, the waters from which I drink."

The language the tree spoke was very much the same as the druid's cant only somehow seemed purer. It sounded like a melodious combination of elvish and the sound of the elements all at once. It was beautiful and soothing in its eloquence and it was a sound that Maccabeus felt in his soul.  
Wildfire

Johan

The euphoria that Maccabeus felt whenever Vallen spoke thus to him - which was too infrequent for his liking - flowed away too quickly as the little gnome realized that he now had a job to do. He abandoned his toil to take up a water skin only to find that Wolf already had it in his great maw. As usual, Maccabeus's brother was a stride ahead of the scattered Gnarcheon.

"Thank you, brother mine." Maccabeus said as he accpeted the water skin. He filled it from the intermingled waters of the four founts.

He mounted Wolf, who waited patiently for Maccabeus to settle himself. "Let us away then, to the dwelling of our new-found Sister of the Golden Glade. Mayhap Ashe has found the information that he needed for us, and we need to enlighten him as to noble Ragnar's condition in the Cycle."

Wolf shot off like a furry arrow, straight and true. Alpha had command of the pack and the youngsters while Bramble parted to acommodate the brothers in their flight to see their returned mentor.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Maccabeus and his Wolf brother could see The Temple of Open Skies just ahead and beyond, the Goldleaf Grove. With his affinity to plants, Maccabeus could sense the sickness within the great trees. He could feel that they were in a struggle of pain and even feel that their will was slowly breaking. If what was to come was anything like the bushes upon the first discovery of The Ring of Mists then any time lost in saving them was time that could not be spared.

Wolf deftly navigated through the trees as though he was on a wild hunt. Through the leaves Maccabeus could see a dark hulking form that he knew was Istian, Ashe's great bear brother. In their minds both Maccabeus and Wolf could hear Istian say, "My brother awaits with the forest sister in the brambled tree."

Immediately after, Maccabeus could hear Ashe call out, "Maccabeus...over here! Come this way!"
Wildfire

Johan

Wolf needed no direction. He hastily saluted (in his own lupine way) Istian, and redirected towards Ashe's call. Maccabeus leapt from the great wolf's back as they approached Whipser's tree.

Wildfire

The underbrush and brambles around Whisper's tree posed no hindrance to either Maccabeus or Wolf as they deftly navigated towards the signature abode. Maccabeus approached and noticed there was no door or opening of any kind, no apparent entrance.

He reached to touch the bark hoping that it give way to the inside. To his amazement his little hand passed right through as though there was no tree there! Accepting the surprises that Mahiya held, Maccabeus and Wolf entered into the home of the golden fey.

Maccabeus's next step landed on browned moss. He could see a round room capped with a dome before him. A dull shimmer emanated from the leafy images sunk into the wood of the room. The scent of the deepest forest welled up his nostrils but was tainted with smell of rot.

Around the room he could see twisted vines covered with wilting flowers that he understood to be furniture. Centered in the hideaway was a pool of cloudy water that offered no reflection of the features within the dwelling.

Opposite of Maccabeus was a mossy bed upon which Whisper rested. Her skin was a pale grey and the light that seemed to once radiate from her now barely sparked the meekest aura.

Ashe sat in a viney chair and observed Maccabeus and Wolf as they entered the fey's quarters. He was glad that neither of them had been here before so they would be unable to measure the damage that was occurring. Ashe feared that they would know more of it sooner than they would expect. Perhaps entering the Ring of Mists before Istisha graced it gave Maccabeus a deeper understanding than Ashe initially thought. Weary from absolute exhaustion and mindful of Whispers state, Ashe quietly spoke, "Maccabeus...it's good to see you and your brother again."
Wildfire

Johan

So here's what's causing me trouble in creating an adequate reply to this thread:

Maccabeus and Wolf were both inside Whisper's tree in "Nettle Remains". It looks to me like you're writing this as though this is the first time they've been there. If that's the case, then I'm going to call you a forgetful old man nearing the end of your sanity.

IF, however, you write this post in full posession of this knowledge, then you are in fact a brilliant story-teller who deserves much adulation and reverence.

Which is it going to be?

Wildfire

I am, in fact, fully aware that Maccabeus was in Whispers tree. This was written to puncuate the changes that had taken place over the course of the last week or so.
Wildfire

Johan

Well, then I guess you are in fact a brilliant story-teller who deserves much adulation and reverence.

Now I just need to figure out how to deal with that.

Johan

"A-ya." Maccabeus answered, casting about Whisper's dwelling. "Good to see you as well, Ashe. There's much to share; you've been sorely missed."

Wolf padded over to Whisper and licked at the fey hand gently. Maccabeus followed his furry brother and cast a concerned gaze upon the not-quite radiant guardian.

"I must be away within Kossuth's next cycle I imagine, eh?" He asked.

Wildfire

Ashe took a deep breath and suddenly felt every day of his flight at once. Since leaving for his audience with Zebulon, Ashe hadn't really had a night's sleep. The most relaxation he received was in his visit with Shankaria.

He looked over to Wolf who was trying to comfort Whisper in his own way. He wondered if Maccabeus's brother understood the decay that the gently fey endured and was helpless to fight. Ashe felt that instinctually, he did and was simply trying to ease the pain.

"Time is essential Maccabeus...but equally our enemy." Ashe stated. "I sought Zebulon's guidance and guide us he did. I've been tumbling his words through my mind over and over." He said softly. Ashe leaned in towards the rugged gnome, "It's something we must discuss outside...away from delicate ears. So if you would, give an old herbalist some water?" He finished his question with a wink.
Wildfire