- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

A New Day Dawns

Started by Johan, January 17, 2006, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Jarmok paid close attention to Ashe's words, but internally he wondered at what the old herbalist was saying. This talk of the void made no sense to Jarmok; Why would any intelligence actually want to live outside of Mahiya? He wondered. Ultimately, it didn't matter. He had taken on the burden of protecting Threshold to the best of his abilities, and he would see that through the coming seasons, and that was that. As long as his enemies could bleed, he would be there to see to it that they did just that.

Maccabeus, for his part, became very somber as Ashe spoke. "Yes, I realize this of course." He said. "The greater part of me tells me that this is a holy place, like any temple, and that all must be welcomed here. Still, there is that little protective part that would stand vigil over these founts and this youngling to protect it, and isolation can often be an effective defense." He stroked the new leaves of the young Vallenwood tree affectionately, humming in tune with the tree's song.

"I will be dwelling upon this in the days to come." He said with a sigh. "Of course, the farmers in Little Threshold will want to see, and they will want answers today, not in days to come. Can you help with those people? Can you address the farmers and the lay folk in the surrounding land?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Ashe nods his head at Maccabeus's words. staring at the sprig in the ground he says, "Jarmok you have been given the honor that my friend Mercer once had. He felt you that you were worthy of taking his charge here. Because of that I'm warning you of an approaching storm. Not a storm of Mahiya but of a kind of Void. A force that is opposite of Mahiya in every way. Mahiya through it's own enigmatic ways is the giver of life. The void is the consumer of it. I just thought that you should be warned of what's to come."

Ashe then turns to Maccabeus and says, "My little friend, you are the steward of this sacred place. I need to tell you that outsiders will want to visit this place. They will want to see that which has been lost to time and is of mysterious legend. Other druids will come to see the founts and the Vallenwood and the Ring...the naked beauty of the brambles and it's flowers. It is up to your judgement as to how to handle the pilgrims."

The geysers relaxed their jubilation and the singing of the sapling continued. The drops of water on the flowers and thorns glitterd back the morning light. The streams leading from the founts to the baby tree were steady in their intent and whispered in watery gurgles. The little tree, drinking the waters, sprouted a bit more right before their eyes.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

"Grow fast." Jarmok observed. "Pretty sing." He shrugged then, fully aware that he was comprehending less than either of his companions, perhaps even less than this enormous, beautiful wolf did. There was a lot more going on here than one might imagine. He wondered if other parts of the world were as active as this one was.

Was there a man in a forest on his home island, perhaps, spinning like an idiot in a glade with two associates who just planted a shrub or caught a fish? Ultimately, this tree was a good thing, he thought. What it would bring, might not be so good, though. Time would tell. "Mahiya like." He said simply, pointing at the growing tree.

"Mahiya likes it indeed." Maccabeus chimed in happily, sitting up, mud splattering his little form. "It is a glimpse into the past, the future, and into the hearts of the Divinities. Wolf and I will grow with this youngling, as will Mahiya." He looked at Ashe then. "I can't say that I've been awaiting this moment for any length of time, save for since last night." He said. "But it seems that this time has certainly been awaiting for me and us. It is a privilege to be banded about this banner, Zyxu and his master had best be ware...he shall be crushed." The little gnome said ominously.

Wildfire

From where the dirt jumped appeared a sapling with bright green buds. The sapling as compared to others was enormous but still relatively small.

The thirst of the sapling seemed to be insatiable as the water from the founts kept feeding it and it kept drinking. The whispers turned to songs in the ears of Maccabeus and Ashe. Jarmok again could barely hear the joyous voice. The singing was so beautiful and soothing that it was outright enchanting.

Ashe was spinning to the voice in reverie. He stopped turning around and wobbled a little from dizziness and he looked at the infant tree and said, ?I look at this tree and I see hope. Hope for many things. It?s ironic that many come here to start a new life?or a new life starts for those that come here. This Vallenwood is a new life and is the embodiment of hope for everyone here methinks. This tree symbolizes many things for me...too many to speak of. What do you two see or feel when you look at this little tree??
Wildfire

Johan

Ok, it was a peaceful morning. The thought invaded Jarmok's mind even as he tried to keep his feet. A gale had leapt up from nowhere, and the sudden motion of the brambles and the gysering of the until-now hidden founts threw a cacophony into the morning that must have been heard for spans in all directions.

Once again that odd part of Jarmok's mind that made odd observations at odd times spoke to him. It is change! It said. Everywhere and everything was changing to suit itself. As bright multi-colored lights flashed amid and through the boughs of that great bramble, the bush itself moved swiftly, opening sun-speckled passes through which Jarmok could see what at first he thought were waterfalls, one to the north, one to the south, one east, and a final one west.

There were no hills or mountains nearby to create those falls, however, so Jarmok stumbled in confusion for the moment. Nevertheless, this was confirmation as to the nature of Mahiya: she could change when she wished. Even stones could change. To Jarmok, this was solidifying evidence that his changing was nothing more than Mahiya shouting in his ear.

Mahiya settled down at length, or at least lessened the thunder of her work. She sculpted shallow channels in the ground from each of those four falls to the area where the four had just planted the mystical acorn. Water chased the sculpting along those channels, threatening to drown the seedling, and it was not ordinary water that flowed in those channels.

One was writhing in frothy orange, looking for all the world like liquid fire. Another flowed sapphire blue, and a third was as green as the verdant grasses upon which the companions now stood. The fourth one, which flowed in from the west, looked as though it carried with it the dirt of the world, murky and brownish as it was.

A few paces from the center where the acorn now dwelt, Mahyia sculpted a moat of sorts; a circle that ringed the acorn from a small distance. Each of the four waters poured into that ring and melded together. Jarmok wondered how each of the waters knew in which direction to flow, but as each one flowed into that ring they turned leftward to flow around the small mound of churned-up soil, mixing as they circumnavigated the acorn.

When the waters had mixed, turning into a clear moat and forming an eyot upon which lay buried the Vallenwood acorn, small clear rivulets formed from the moat to nourish the newly planted babe.

The raucous din abated nearly as quickly as it had birthed. The wind died to a pleasant breeze once more, and Mahiya settled, perhaps surveying her work with her own critical eye to ensure that it pleased her. Ashe was spinning, his arms held wide and his face to the sky, like a small child at games. Wolf sat, perhaps uncomprehending (as much as Jarmok felt) while Maccabeus lay flat on his back, laughing and crying, in the wettened turf. Jarmok could only stare uncomprehending.

He looked to the undisturbed mound of the acorn and a small puff of soil leapt into the air, accompanied by an abrupt outrush of air. It sounded oddly like the release of a well-fed man after dinner.

It was once again a peaceful morning. For the moment. Jarmok reminded himself cynically.

Wildfire

Ashe wipes a tear from his eyes and says, "I've been waiting for many years to plant this acorn and now it's done. It's almost like sending a child away for his own good. I know it'll grow to be strong and that it will soon have acorns of it's own. Still...I guess when you've held on to something for so long it's hard to let it go."

After Ashe spoke the brambles started to move. Even Maccabeus wondered what was going on since he did not ask the brambles to shift. Wolf was startled by the severe motions of the brambles and moved closer to Maccabeus. Jarmok looked about in confusion as this place was very new to him.

The brambles shifted in a confusing pattern. the trumpetblooms released their pollens and the their scent was almost intoxicating. the path from the Ring to the burial of the acorn became direct and wide.

The rough obelisks to each of the four elemental deities began to glow in their respective colors. The pool of water surrounding the center stone sparkled on it's own. The medallions that Maccabeus has placed on the center stone shot out blinding rays of light. The pools of signature waters burst forth as geysers and began to move along the ground towards the acorn.

Ashe began to laugh with impassioned joy. The pools settled in a formation opposite of the element stones in the Ring though the distances apart were the same. The four of them stared in wild wonder at the events taking shape. The marks on Maccabeus's and Ashe's chest began to glow but not burn.

The founts continued to stream upward covering the four viewers in an oddity of liquid spectrums. The ground parted slightly from each pool towards the seed.  The waters from each pool flowed to the resting place of the acorn and met as one unified spring. The water was clear like the waters at the central stone of the Ring.

The ground was around was wet but not saturated and muddy. Like a child Ashe began to twirl around in a dance of uninhibited joy. Ashe realized that the noise of the geysers was loud and it would be difficult for the others to hear him so he shouted, "Do you have any idea just how lucky we are to see this? Right now we're the four luckiest beings in all of creation! No one ever gets to see something like this...NO ONE!! HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!!"
Wildfire

Johan

As Jarmok touched the great seed he cocked his head to the side and looked about for the source of the whispering. He then looked to Ashe, then Maccabeus.

"He hears it too." Maccabeus remarked to Ashe as they both studied Jarmok.

Then the whispering died away, left by the sounds of the birds, running water, and a slight wind whispering through the varied bramble. He shook his head a little. "Gone now." He said sadly.

Ashe ceremoniously turned the babe over to Maccabeus, who seemed dwarfed by the great acorn. The little man had to cradle it in both of his arms, like a youngling with a large pumpkin.

Maccabeus was much stronger than a youngling though, and he brought the acorn gently to the hole that he had prepared. He placed the acorn in to the hole and scooped the rich fertile soil into the hole after it. Jarmok and Ashe both got down on their knees and assisted in the burying of the seed. Even Wolf came over to push dirt into the hole for the little seed.

"Is good thing." Jarmok observed.

"Indeed." Maccabeus agreed. "We four guardians of Mahiya ringing in a new era." He began to sing lightly in a language that Jarmok didn't understand. His voice was surprisingly agile as he spoke that rhythm, and the four found themselves digging in time with the little man's lilt. Ashe joined him; the language sounded a little like the one that was whispering to Jarmok upon touching the acorn. It was pleasant, and decidedly ancient. Jarmok hummed along. Softly at first, but gaining in courage as Maccabeus's and Ashe's smiles bolstered him.

The Great Cycle is our birth and our death
Death to a new birth, birth to a new death
Our hands aid this youngling to it's towering height
This youngling aid our hands to their powering might
We help to show the way
You help to guide our voyage
Provide you now our gray
Provide us then your foliage
The end shall come one year
A beginning shortly after
Lend me now your ear
Then you become the master

It was a peaceful morning.

Wildfire

...an energy like that of a cool water start to flow up his arm. The inner pulsing glow of the acorn grew bright and faster. Jarmok felt inspired and protective of the acorn. He swore that he could hear trace whispering with his peripheral hearing [color=green:6ce81528c5](thanks for that phrase Johan)[/color]. But at last the whispering seemed to fade away.

"Maccabeus," Ashe says, "Believe me when I say that I don't know what will happen once this little guy gets planted in a holy place such as this. It'll be drinking of the special waters and rooted in holy soil. As if the acorn isn't remarkable on it own it gets this unique opportunity! I knew I held onto this seed for a reason!"

He hands the gigantic acorn to Maccabeus and says, "Go ahead Maccabeus...It's now in your charge."
Wildfire

Johan

Jarmok tentatively touched the enormous acorn, first with a long finger, and then placed his palm gently on the seed.

He felt...

Wildfire

"Oh, I'm sure it will be big enough Maccabeus...not to worry." Ashe says.

He turns to Jarmok and says, "This is an acorn of a Vallenwood Tree. It'll grow to be very tall and strong. Y'see Vallenwoods are very special to Mahiya Jarmok. They think and have feeling like you and me. Priests like Maccabeus and myself can actually hear them talk. They teach us and they whisper the wods of Mahiya itself. They are the lords of trees. This acorn is just a baby...a seed of a Vallenwood. Go ahead, touch it...it likes it."
Wildfire

Johan

Jarmok studied the acorn without touching it. "Ung." [Shook his head negatively]. "What is?" he asked.

"Wolf and I have already made a nice deep hole in the soil." Maccabeus indicated a hole about twice the size of the acorn. "Bramble was kind enough to move roots out from under this area. Will that be large enough?"

Wildfire

Ashe says, "Hmmmm...yes. This IS a good spot. It's also right in line with the Ring...a good spot indeed." Ashe pulls his backpack off and unties it. He pulls out the large, glowing acorn and holds it out for Jarmok to see. "Have you ever seen something like this before Jarmok?"

The glow of the acorn pulsed like a heart. The glow was far brighter and quicker than it had been the previous night. The acorn seemed to be happy. To Maccabeus's and Ashe's ears the acorn was singing. Ashe realized that this sentient plant child knew it would now have the chance to become the mighty Vallenwood it was destined to be.
Wildfire

Johan

"Bramble and I made the perfect spot last night." Maccabeus exclaimed exuberantly. He led the way at a brisk trot (allowing Ashe and Jarmok to follow at a comfortable pace) through the Ring itself and down the north(?) passage towards the four shrines.

There, between the shrines to Akadi and Istisha, Ashe saw a pathway that was not there the previous day. Maccabeus led the way down that path to a clearing where a small fire burned, Wolf's deer off to the side (some of it hanging over the fire, some remaining raw for Wolf to enjoy).

"Right here!" Maccabeus boasted. "This area is right in the middle of the four founts and the Vallenwood can draw nourishment from each of the Divinities!" Maccabeus stood hands spread apart.

Casting about the little clearing, Jarmok noted that the weasel that Maccabeus had spoken of was back, gnawing upon the carcass of the deer. Littered seemingly randomly about the area were what could only be Maccabeus's few belongings - a bed roll with a heavy blanket, a leather bag, and a spear. These were not actually strewn about, Jarmok knew. It was merely reflective of the way that the little man would be using them. Very functional, although more organized folk would no doubt call it a mess.

Wildfire

Ashe soon came upon Maccabeus, Jarmok, and Wolf. "I don't think that I'll ever be bored with this place! I just saw a bunny rabbit sitting there eating the grass...and it didn't even run away! So, Maccabeus, where is it you wanted to plant the little guy?" he askes as he wiggled his toes into the soft carpet of grass. "Oooo....that feels soooo good on my feet."
Wildfire

Johan

"Hung." Jarmok walked slowly into the tunnel that had been created into the Ring. It was truly a remarkable sight, as though the bramble had been tended for this purpose; the grass was thick and lush and flowers lined the wall of the long tunnel. The smells were nearly overpowering to him, and he was brought back to the previous morning and his time spent as a wolf.

In that form, the normal smells of the forest were vibrant and enlivening. He wondered how Wolf was able to contain himself, as here and now he must be smelling a veritable cavalcade of aromas. A small rabbit bounded across his path, not more than a few paces ahead of him. It fixed him with his beady eyes, but there was no fear in the animal either from the presence of Jarmok or of Wolf. it sat and chewed and sniffed at the grasses happily while Jarmok walked past. Jarmok looked up at Wolf and Maccabeus beyond; the pair reflected what Jarmok was sure was a large goofy smile painted upon his own face.

"Safe place." He suggested.

"It is that." Maccabeus answered. "While outside we all acknowledge the need for the predator, here there will be no hunting. All animals seem to know this readily, although how I can't say. Of course, nothing much larger than that rabbit can get in unless it flies in. Last night when I got back I had to share Wolf's deer catch with a browning mink. Not even Wolf minded, though. This is a place for rest and to help."

The two looked back to see Ashe following along the corridor.