- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

what's in and what's out

Started by Wildfire, March 21, 2005, 07:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

i was wondering how open you guys wanted the game log to be. i ask because there were alot of flashbacks and inner visions that no one would really know about.

i'm not sure how you've done the log in the past and until i met you guys i never actually kept one. the info is used as a backreference and it should be understood to not use information that your character would not realistically know. i know it's a bit like asking a jury to "disregard that remark" but we're all professionals here and experienced at staying in character.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Wildfire

big headed loudmouth...hmmm...i think that i put it a little more eloquently but, yes. however, he's our big headed loudmouth and i wouldn't trade him for anything! :P
Wildfire

Johan

Quote from: 9:f2b015cbbcnever mind[/size]
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

my point is that Mel is a very loquacious ego-centric character and the MSI log is quite indicative of that...considering it's from Mel's perspective. it's fun to read! The side comments get me laughing!
Wildfire

Johan

Quote from: wildfire...have you read the MSI logs? it's "Mel and some other people".

Isn't that how we're playing the game?!?

What's your point?  :)
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Phineas

I would advise revealing information that is related to and help drives the current story.  Telling us the history of a forgotten temple is swell and all, but if the player characters are not involved with this temple, or if the information does not helps advance the current story line, then why would we need to know about it?

As previously mentioned, I will share information with the players about the current actions of NPCs.  An extreme example of this was the recent episode of Kulgar where a captain of the city guard was trying to gather information about the player characters:

http://kulgar.org/kulgar/kulgar18.htm#hulatious[03may01]

This is a playing style that Fraz, Johan and I are comfortable with, and I would like to think that it helps give a little depth to the current story.  Sometimes letting the players know that their characters are being hunted adds a little more drama and suspence to the game as well as to the ongoing story!

fraz

Quote from: wildfiredon't be worried about bias...have you read the MSI logs? it's "Mel and some other people". somehow that just makes it comical though instead of just reading an antiseptic blow by blow description.

Yeah, it's pretty funny... but that's Johan (and Mel's) style.  My style is definitely different.
nothing

Wildfire

don't be worried about bias...have you read the MSI logs? it's "Mel and some other people". somehow that just makes it comical though instead of just reading an antiseptic blow by blow description.
Wildfire

Wildfire

not that i doubted it, but it's safe to assume that everyone is already clear on the info they have and info they don't and how to respond accordingly, yes?

in the past i've seen players purposely have their characters respond in ways they normally wouldn't because of knowledge by circumstance. it got so that i actually made others leave to keep them honest when private things happened. they weren't purposely trying to undermine the game they just wanted to help fellow players survive. over time this wasn't too much of a problem.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Well, in past games that I have been in with Steve and the Jims, there's been a lot of open info that our characters wouldn't really know... things like interludes, like "Meanwhile: A dark figure climbs some stairs and opens the door. the man in the room behind the oor says "You're late" and casts a glare. The man reports "They have arrived, boss""

and then the action would go back to us... so WE as players would have heard that, but our characters wouldn't. It adds more to the story, and challages the player.
=]V[=