- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

[poll] Critical or Marginal Success for a Skill Roll

Started by Johan, May 09, 2005, 02:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

I don't recall whether we've had this discussion in the past, but...

Along the lines of critical hits and misses in combat, I think that there should be the opportunity for critical successes and failures in other skills.

Just to add to the spice...

Critical Success: if you roll a natural 20 on any given skill, you roll again. If that second roll would be a successful one, then you have garnered a critical success. If that second roll would not be a successful one, then you now have a Marginal Success, which is handled as a regular success.

A Critical Success on a Heal check is additional healing that occurs. A critical opposed skill check adds 2 to your opponent's DC (for instance if you're hiding (skill modifier = 5), and roll a critical success, your oponent's spot DC is going to be 27, or 2 above the modified 25 that you rolled).

Critical Failure: if you roll a natural 1 on any given skill, you roll again. If that second roll would be a successful one, then you have garnered a Marginal Failure, which is handled as a regular failure, as we do now. If that second roll would not be a successful one, then you now have a Critical Failure

A Critical Failure on a Heal check is reduced healing that ocurrs (instead of 1+ CN bonus in the event of a success, it is now CN bonus -1 - you actually did damage to your patient).

Critical Failures for other skill rolls will be handled on an as-needed basis. Rest assured that something bad will happen. My thinking is that in the event of a critical failure to your Hide check will have you sneeze at a critical moment. We shall see...
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank