- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

12.22.2132 - Interview in ShantyTown

Started by Dray, March 30, 2008, 09:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"That's very interesting." Smokey said. "Let's try to trick her! Here's how it'll work..."

"It is indeed." Temmit thought back to Smokey. "And no." He immediately trained the meaning of this auger on the three subjects waiting for interview, Mia being one of them. And she leading to hope on a few different levels.

"Interesting." Temmit echoed Smokey's sentiments aloud. "And so quick too." He could tell that Mia was very sincere now. He detected no animosity, no ulterior motivations, or any sort of deviousness to the girl...or her aunt for that matter. He had the distinct notion that this youngster was an individual with power...a candidate for Whisper indeed.

He smiled again and asked cordially, "How much do I owe you...for the portence as well as breakfast?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

"5 silver pieces," she said.

Temmit jumped out of his seat as Auntie Diedra shrieked with laughter from the kitchen. "FIVE?! You slick, silver-tongued boy! She sometimes charges up to twenty. She must think your a cutie!  HEEE-HEEEE, FIVE she says! ain't that rich!"

She didn't come out of the kitchen, but Auntie Deidra had a good laugh, stating 'five' under her breathe over and over.

Mia, a little red-faced again, seemed to wait for her Aunt to simmer down a bit so she could hear, "so are we leaving? I am moving out you see and need to start looking for an apartment with all that coin I have earned, we should...."

"Not even funny girl," she heard Auntie speak again from the kitchen. From the tone of her voice she could tell Deidra thought it a bit funny, and Temmit wondered how many times these two family members teased each other each day. A lot he assumed. It was very endearing.

It was Mia's turn to giggle.

"My Mom is very boring, Auntie would die if I wasn't here to clean and cook for," she said to Temmit.

"mmmm--hmmmm," Auntie said from the kitchen.

"Come on Temmit, let's go meet your friends," Mia said, then she ducked around the curtain for a moment and resurfaced with rabbit-lined boots, cloak and ... one of those hats Temmit was thinking about earlier.

Johan

"I'll bet it has more to do with what she saw when she told her own fortune this morning." Smokey ventured. Temmit had to admit that the little crystal was probably right. It would explain a lot of unusual kindness.

He stifled a grin as he reached for Renee's pouch, wondering how much might be hidden inside. He sighed inwardly and peered inside. There was certainly more than 5 silver, he saw with relief.

He withdrew 10 and placed them upon the table. A little extra for superior coffee." He explained. "Not to mention the exquisite faire." He smiled and waited for Aunt Diedre's response.

"Interesting also: it seems her mother might be alive after all."

"I noted that as well."

Temmit stood expectantly as Mia donned her boots, cloak, and hat. "Thank you again for the wonderful food, ma'am. I will keep Mia safe until her return."

Dray

As they walked by the kitchen entry they could see Auntie leaning against a cupboard eating her breakfast. She finished chewing and put her plate down.

As Temmit and Mia headed outside, Auntie Deidra followed them through the corridor and to the door. As they headed out the door and into the cold winter air, she purposely whispered loud enough for Temmit to hear her final tease. "Charge him another FIVE silver should he kiss you."

Mia turned on her, and looking past Temmit, gave her Aunt a look of mixed anger and embarrassment.

"OOPS, took it too far...um, bye now!" Auntie said and quickly and vanished behind the door and back into the house.

Mia rolled her eyes and walked off the porch and out onto the narrow street. As soon as she realized that she didn't know where Temmit was to meet his friends she stopped in her tracks and turned back to him. He could see she was a still a little miffed at her Aunt's quip.

Prior to her turn, Temmit had scanned the area and saw Renee and Emma waiting in an alley. Renee made a signal that she and Emma would follow them.

Johan

"She's a playful sort." Temmit said. "I think that she was trying to embarrass me as much as you though."

Instead of heading off in some random direction, Temmit turned towards Renee and Emma where they had been waiting. "Here they are now." He said, waving to the two young women.

Dray

"Most likely, although I think she really lik...." Mia stopped in her tracks. She shot a nervous look at Temmit with eyes as big as saucers.

"Renee Olsteel?! That is one of your friends?" she asked in a panic. She started looking at her own attire, what looked equivalent to silk pajamas, and started to fidget nervously.

Johan

"Aye, she is." Temmit admitted. "But you've no need to be nervous. I'm sure she'll be happy to meet you."

As they approached the two ladies, Temmit hailed them and introduced Mia. "Good morning, ladies. I'm not sure whether you know Mia Prescott." He held his arm wide in introduction, but left the introductions of Renee and Emma to them; sometimes Emma liked to remain anonymous if she could.

Dray

Renee had approached without her normal public swagger. It sometimes amazed Temmit on how intuitive the leader could be.

"Hello, Mia, I am Renee, this is Emma," she said as Emma lowered her hood. It didn't look like Mia recognized her, as there was no awkward response by Mia to her.

"Hello. Um...sorry about this getup," Mia said as she shuffled. "Kind of an early morning I guess. Where were the three of you going?" she asked Temmit.

Johan

"Well, we have a few errands to run in a few places." Temmit answered evasively.

He turned to Renee and Emma then, and said, "Mia was good enough to read my fortune this morning, and you know what she said?" He didn't wait for any answer, but spoke on. "She said 'One will lead to hope, another will lead to laughter, and one will lead to danger'. That's correct, isn't it?" He asked the younger girl.

Dray

"Alright...without context you are making me sound like a crazy person," Mia said while smiling nervously. She was obviously out of her element now that two other girls, both older, had shown up. Temmit noted she was definitely nervous.

"Do you have any idea what it means?" she asked Temmit.

Renee and Emma were quiet, knowing the way Temmit worked, they would allow him to run the conversation for awhile.

Johan

"Believe me, Mia." He said seriously, "no one here thinks you're crazy, and while I don't *know* what it means, there is a distinct possibility that raises in my mind. I do have no doubt, however, that it will make sense to me this evening." He smiled, reflecting upon her the explanation that she had uttered earlier.

He cast about for a more private, out of the way spot to carry on their conversation...the one that would be coming.

"Any chance we can get out of the middle of this street for a moment?" He asked. "This wind is cutting through me."

Dray

"Nothing in ShantyTown is open this early, people are still working off the night festivities," Mia said to them.

"Were you girls headed to the shops today?" she asked the other two.

(OOC: "The Shops" are equivalent to "The Mall" in RL. They are a myriad of strip-mall like businesses that are in the northwestern part of the Theater District near Nottingham Hall. Temmit knows of two specialty coffee shops there.)

Johan

"Mia, the fact of the matter is that you are one of the errands that we have to attend today." Temmit said, pulling his cloak tighter around himself. He knew that Renee would pick up on this segue and introduce the purpose of their visit this morning. Temmit always found it a bit surprising how she was able to convince people to drink her Truth/Forget quaff.

Read: How the hell are we supposed to introduce this line of questioning?!!?

Dray

Mia responded a bit incredulously, "I am a what?" she asked with a disbelieving chuckle.

Renee chimed in as silently requested. "You are the first of three kids that Temmit, Emma and I want to interview as likely candidates for membership within a special club, or guild if you will, of gifted children thoughout the city."

Mia said, "what kind of guild?"

"One in which the gifted children keep each other safe from the government and there ridiculous ban in the use of those gifts, in other words, their magic." Renee replied.

Mia looked at her ready to politely debate. "But I don't use magic, I just predict the future and some soldiers get lucky at card games or find their buddy has knapsacked there wives or they..." she stopped.

If the phrase 'Dawn lights upon marble head' was to have a place in the library, Temmit thought a painting of Mia at that exact moment would have been perfect with it.

"I guess some would consider that magic." she said, suddenly a bit shaken.

Renee seized the opportunity. "They would and they already have, that is why we are here." She withdrew the Forget the Truth draft and presented it to Mia.

"We don't have much time." Renee said and as she looked around the street she started guiding them all back into the alley that Renee and Emma had come from.

"Do you trust Temmit?" she asked Mia.

"What? I just met him, he's nice and all but..."

As they reached the alley, Renee interrupted and took a step into Mia's personal space and spoke a little more quietly, but with such a serious brovado that it truly captured her attention. "Not everyone has to be a fortune teller or a mind-reader to see things. Something in the way you looked at him this morning tells me there is more going on here than either he or I know about."

Renee paused a few moments.

She continued, "So do you trust Temmit?"

Mia looked at each of them in turn, her confusion clearly on her face but something about her suddenly made Temmit wonder, something she was holding back.

"My own fortune this morning," Mia said, "the crystal ball said I would meet a boy this day....a boy that would change my life forever." She looked down at the muddy ground, slightly embarassed.

Renee didn't let up, "and change it will, for the better Mia Prescott. Take this potion from Temmit, it is merely a potion that will help us determine your talent, nothing more. Trust the boy from prophecy and I guarantee you, your life can only become safer because of it."

Mia looked at Temmit, who nodded and gave a warm smile.

Without another thought, Mia took the potion from Renee, uncorked it and drank it down.

As the potion reached Mia's stomach, her eyes became a bit unfocused and the Whisper members knew that it would take another half turn before they could start asking her the questions.

"Damn Renee, how do you do that?" Emma asked with a smile.

Renee simply ignored Emma and turned to Temmit. "You're up life-changer."

She then took a step back, looking a bit miffed.

Johan

Yay! "Post reply" works! Thanks, Griz!

"Don't worry, Mia. You're among friends at the moment." He spoke soothingly while the potion settled into her system.

"Let me first ask what is your full name, please?"