- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Critcal Hit and Miss

Started by Wildfire, July 31, 2005, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

Critical Hits:
Per the D&D rules a critical hit is a natural roll within the threat range and then another successive hit. I'm going to add that each successive hit within the threat range adds another die of damage.

example: Miranda is using a scimitar in a scrape with an Ogre. It's critical threat range is 18-20/x2. She hits with a natural 19. She follows up to see if it's a critical and rolls an 18. Normally the critical would end there. However, in my game it will continue on. So the next roll she gets is a 20. Miranda is happy and will roll to hit again. She rolls a 16 ending her critical spree. So, in total the damge that she would deal would be x3 (x2 for the initial crit roll, x3 for the roll of 20; the roll of 16 was out of her threat range for another critical. Only hits within the threat range can add another die to the damage). I don't know if this critical increase is a detailed feat in the books but it's now a House rule for my game.
(Tip: With the feat 'power critical in the Complete Warrior this could make one extremely deadly)

Critical Miss:
To the best of my knowledge the critical miss has not been detailed or even mentioned anywhere (but I reserve the right to be corrected).

So as has been done in the past, with acceptance I might add, is that a roll of a 1 poses a threat to a critical miss. A successive miss means a reduction of 4 to one's initiative for the following round. I would like to add that each successive miss will pose an additional reduction of 4 to initiative. Going into negative on initiative means losing the weapon giving the opponent an attack of opportunity (this is to reflect the fumbling nature that a critical miss puts a character into). The weaponless individual can then draw another weapon the following round at the expense of a move action.

If anyone has other ideas to handling critical misses then I certainly welcome the comments.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity