- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

12.22.2132 – Interview in Utopia.

Started by Dray, April 05, 2008, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

"Well, truth be told, I think mine would be harder to knock down that yours." she said smiling at him. He did note that her anxiety did reduce substantially at the mention of snow tomfoolery.

"Tell you what, I will make the balls of snow for the men, and you set them up with your sticks and such, then we can pretend we are the Outer-Rim Defense fighting off the mighty Karh'Thul demons!" she announced.

It always troubled Temmit how easily the violence of real-life turned into the games of children.

He did as ordered and soon they had eight snowmen in a line with sticks for arms and tentacles. They then readied a huge amount of snowball ammunition and prepared their attack. It was then that Temmit saw Renee and Emma come around the corner at the end of the street and head towards them.

Johan

Dray, can you comment please upon the amount of time that passed:

To: Sally arrives

To: Renee & Emma return

Current Time

Thanks.

Temmit warmed his hands beneath his arms for a moment.

About blasted time. Temmit thought. They'd better have brought me a cup of coffee after forcing me through all of this foolishness. I hope Harrison enjoys his tenure as Lieutenant.

"All right." He said. "You ready to see what falls and what doesn't?"

He picked up and readied a snowball, a second one in his off-hand.

"3...2...1...ATTAAAACK!"

Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

Renee & Emma left: 15 turns of Temmit snowman building, then sally arrives.

Sally & Temmit make snowmen together, 10 more turns go bye.

Sally & Temmit talk, she gets nervous, 4 more turns go bye.

Sally & Temmit build a total of 8 snowmen and about 100 snowballs, 30 more turns goes bye.

In total a hand goes bye and then Renee and Emma are spotted.

The total destruction of the snowmen was a victory that Sally would not soon forget. Stick-shaped tentacles and claws flew from the enemy with amazing speed as her and Temmit pelted them with snowballs. Renee and Emma came up behind them and watched the sport with big grins on their faces.

Renee was indeed holding a big wooden mug of steaming-hot coffee.

Johan

Out of breath and out of snowballs, Temmit begrudgingly agreed that Sally's snowmen were in fact more robust than his own. She seemed as arrogant as any woman when their point was proven. Temmit assumed that this was a gender-based trait.

At the finish of the mayhem he turned to Renee and Emma, and gratefully accepting the coffee from his leader, he introduced Sally to his two friends, ensuring that they understood that he thought that there was merit in Renee's hunch that Sally was gifted.

I thought I'd only use indirect conversation for a change...spread my literary wings, as it were.  :)

Dray

The three of them spoke at length about the lack of strength in Temmit's snowmen, which seemed to please the older girls as much as it did the young lass. More importantly it got Sally comfortable enough for when Renee asked her, "So are your parents home Sally? I am surprised they didn't come out to join us."

"Oh no, they won't be home all weekend, I am what they call a latch-key kid," she said like it was the most normal thing in the world.

Renee gave Temmit a look that said, 'You really didn't have to play in the snow all this time silly', and then asked Sally, "mind if the three of us come in for a warm up before we head off?"

Sally seemed happy at the thought. "Sure, I don't see anything wrong with that," and led them indoors.

Renee walked beside Temmit as they followed the young girl and gave him a wink.

Johan

I most certainly did have to play outside all this time. Temmit thought in his irritation. Else how would I have been able to get her happy and accepting?

Even I'm cold. Smokey said whimsically.

"Did you ladies happen to buy any food?" Temmit asked. "I seem to have not only worked up a cold, but also a hunger out here."

Dray

Sally immediately chimed in, her hand on the doorknob, "I have some cinnamin rolls with honey glazing made fresh this morning from the Tremont Street Cafe. You are all more than welcome to each have one."

With that, she opened the door to the small but luxurious home. After the glass-inlaid oak door there was a large common room with a cathedral ceiling, a fireplace big enough to almost step into had a small fire going and the immediate warmth of the place was very inviting. At the back of the room was a partial wall beyond which appeared to be a very fancy kitchen. A stairwell opposite their entry presumable lead to the upstairs.

"Come on in, please put your boots, hats and cloaks here," she said while pointing at some cast iron hooks clevery arranged on the wall and over a mosaic tile on the floor where the boots were to go.

As she finished taking her own wraps off she said, "I will go put the rolls on the stove for a moment, make yourselves warm by the fire, put another log in if you wish."

She walked over to the kitchen, which Temmit assumed was still within earshot. The three of them walked over to the fire and warmed their hands.

"So this is what these places look like from inside." Emma said without really looking around further.

"Meet expectations?" Renee asked.

"Nope. I figured they would be gaudier," she replied.

"Why?"

Emma just shrugged. Temmit could see that just being in one of the Utopia houses miffed her off a bit.

Sally came back in the room. "Ok, rolls are on, if you guys aren't in a hurry we could play a game or something?"

Temmit started to realize how alone this girl actually was.

Johan

"This young lady is full of laughter." Temmit pointedly observed to his friends. "I'd love to be able to sit down for a couple of turns to just talk."

Dray

With that, and with a bit of a strange look from Sally, they sat down on the couch and chairs surrounding the fireplace. Renee broke the ice before it could be formed. "So Sally, tell us about yourself, what do you do all weekend with this kind of time?"

"Well, I like to read books from the library, mostly about agriculture. As I was saying to Temmit, I want to own a farm some day, so I am trying to learn as much as I can before going into the Harvesters House," she said in one breath.

"An admirable goal." Renee said simply.

"Thanks. And at night I like to go to Nottingham Hall or the Symphany orchestra for the shows. My friend Samantha usually joins me, she is a couple houses over. So did you do any shopping?" she asked looking over at the small bags Emma and Renee brought in.

Temmits mind shut down for a bit while the girls spent almost a hand talking not only about what they bought, but about each and every single store that was 'so cold' to shop in. As it turned out, he served the cinnamin rolls while they talked, and talked, and talked. One plus though, the sweet roll from the most expensive restaurant in the Kingdom, was just about the closest thing to a slice of heaven that Temmit ever tasted.

Johan

During this time, in between the coffee and rolls, and the inane banter, Temmit will be refocussing his mind (regaining his psionic focus)

Dray

(OOC: you were successful regaining your Psionic Focus, for the banter of the three girls lasted over a hand and they ignored you as you watched and mediated by the fire).

"...and lastly I bought this." Renee was talking.

"What is that?" Sally asked, now completely comfortable with her new older girl friends.

"It is a liquid candy that Nutcase is selling today, me and Emma already had one, would you like to try it?" Renee asked. Smokey was only a half-tick ahead of Temmit in realizing what was being said and they both turned their thoughts back to the room together.

"Sure! What's it taste like?" Sally asked as she took it from Renee without hesitation.

"Well, it's like blueberries, but you have to drink the whole thing down to the bottom, because that is where the sugar is," Renee replied.

Sally looked at it for a moment. "Is it okay if I drink it now? I feel bad that Temmit didn't have one."

Renee looked over at Temmit, taking the opportunity to see if he was indeed back in the real world with them, upon discovering he was, she turned back to the little girl. "Temmit doesn't like sugar, he is more into drinking coffee," she said.

"Alrighty then, here goes nothing!" she said and downed the liquid like a girl told by her parent to quickly swallow medicine, drinking the whole thing in one shot.

As she sat there next to Emma, her eyes became distant as she held the empty vial in her hand.

"If we had to discuss the doll store one more time, I was going to have to call it," Emma said with relief. "Were we ever this young?!" she asked Renee.

"I was. I suspect you weren't," Renee answered seriously.

Emma smirked. "True enough, the man renovated my room three times in the last fifteen years, my dolls went with the first demolition back when I was five."

"So don't look down upon Sally because she is a spoiled rich kid who has parents that allow her to buy whatever she wants. In the end, her parents are just as careless and unloving as your father was to you. Just in a very opposite way," Renee lectured.

"Fair enough," Emma agreed, actually taking in the constructive criticism without being offended.

Renee turned and smiled at Temmit, "I think she is ready for you now Mr. Talkative."

Johan

"Here's a thought: why don't *you* conduct the interview? She's likely a lot more comfortable with you now than with you...that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean." Smokey was irritated, apparently.

'I do, and shush." Temmit responded as he rose from his spot near the fire and spoke to Sally.

"What is your full name?" He asked the girl.

"Sally Renee Maiden," the girl stated plainly.

"How old are you," he asked, completing the second required question to establish the potion's effect.

"I am nine," she answered.

"Were you in the home on the lake when it caught fire?"

"I was, I hid until the fire went out."

"Where did you hide?"

"In my parent's secret basement."

Temmit turned to Renee and said, "Get ready to go over the last few items that you bought, to cover the hole in her memory and give her some continuity."

"You have no special abilities that someone might take for magic?" He asked Sally.

"Lord No." she said.

Temmit delivered a withering look at Renee. "No doubt that this will at some point lead to laughter." He swept his arm wide, indicating that Renee should take over. They would now have to extract themselves from this home elegantly.

Renee asked another question. "Sally, why is the basement room secret?"

"Because it's my parent's game room." she answered, still in a daze but Renee knew she had little time.

"What kind of game room?" she asked.

"Overheard my Mom call it a place where Daddy and his buddies gamble." she answered. (OOC: illegal)

"Did the authorities in Lakeshore find out?" she asked.

"Yes, the Captain, my Daddy's buddy, said to just tell people that I was in the shower."

Renee raised her eyebrows at Temmit. "Good to know," she said.

Dray

Almost immediately after Renee's took the empty vial from Sally's hand, she came out of the potions affects.

"That was weird," she paused for a moment, "what were we talking about?" she asked.

"The porcelain doll in Unique Toys," Emma spoke up and Temmit's heart sank at the thought of another hand of idiocy.

Renee spoke up and saved him though. "I hate to say this but I am supposed to report to the Protectors barracks soon, my friends and I really need to go Sally. I am so sorry, I really do wish we could stay," she said it with a sincerity that even Temmit believed.

"Oh, not a problem, thank you guys for such a fun afternoon, it was really cool hanging out," the small girl replied, trying to be "mature".

The three grabbed their coats, boots and cloaks and went back out into the cold mid-afternoon air, waving to Sally one last time as they headed down the street.

Johan

After the trio was a safe distance away from the home, Temmit spoke quiety. "For all the work *that one* took, it's a shame to come away without a candidate." He reflected a moment then. "Still, we do have a new item to use for blackmail. We should probably go out of our way to find out where that family's house is, and who is the Captain in that region."

Dray

Renee after a moment said, "well...with our next interview not until tomorrow, I think I will go back to the library and get the address, I am pretty sure it was listed but didn't make note of it at the time.

She stopped walking and turned to Emma, a light snow had started and was lightly spotting their hoods with fresh white crystals.

"What time was that opening to talk to Marcus tomorrow?" she asked her.

"His mother is bringing him in tomorrow morning and because it's Restday. The cluelessly devout woman wouldn't think to bring even her own son in on Prayday, lest she anger her[/b] God. I am fairly sure the medical priests won't see him until early afternoon. So I am thinking 10 dawn-hand would be good." Emma replied in obvious displeasure in regard to the church.

"Why again is she bringing him in after almost an entire month has passed since the incident?" Renee asked.

"Her written statement in medical priests records is that she has noted "...an increase in physical strength and energy. My son seems to be far more extroverted and a bit unruly since his adventure[/b] and has been a bit flamboyant[/b] at school." Emma answered.

Renee thought for another moment, then reiterated the entire history of the boy's history, as if thinking out loud.

"So he was lost just after the FallEnd school break while visiting his father who lives near the southern border of the Outer-Rim."

Emma nodded, but Renee didn't look up and merely continued.

"After a week and a half in the woods, he is found without a hair out of place, and eventually brought back to school. Once there he spends about a month as a bit more cocky, is that what I am hearing with that report?" Renee asked, looking up this time.

"Sounds like that could be it." Emma replied.

Renee turned to Temmit, "what do you think Snowman?"