- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Secrets and Truths

Started by Wildfire, December 12, 2005, 09:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

"It must be mind shaking to see and meet what you thought were and have known as legends and myths. Just so you know, the Valley is about three days south of here. That is why all of these people are here right now. They will all be traveling to the Valley to celebrate The Day of the Valley...the yearly date occurance of The Great Rejuvination. It's a special day to all Elsenbanians...City-States and Xanthakos alike."

Ashe stretched in his cushioned chair and continued, "It is said that after Mahiya created the Valley that the other Gods wept at seeing its' raw beauty. It's a place of wonder and magnificence that...I can't even really describe it. To see all of the Vallenwoods there is a sight that will stay with you forever. There was for a time, a long time, that the Valley was under an eternal night. It was a place of darkness and evil...if you can believe that. Then it was saved in The Great Rejuvination."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

"You mean to tell me that the Valley truly exists?" Maccabeus sat up again in surprise. "And it's here?!?!" He shook his head in disbelief. "How many more wonders are to be had in this marvelous place? It truly makes a person feel a bit inadequate, you know?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Ashe set his feet back upon the hassock to warm his toes. "For many yearly cycles I have lived in the shadow of the Valley and feel blessed to have done so. I visit there on occasion when I feel the need. It's so accessable to me. Given the tribal life that you've had I find it of interest what your view of things is. To see the interpretation of a different culture is a special thing. Earlier tonight you were in awe of Zarion and Kym because they were decendants of what you know as a legend among your people. To me they're my friends that I've known for a long time. Do you understand my fascination? The similariteis and differences between us makes me dumb sometimes!"

Ashe groaned in comfort and stretched his legs and looked to see Wolf curled by the fire. "Perhaps a nap would be good."
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus looked about rather sheepishly as Ashe spoke. "Do you think that we could relax a bit longer by your fire?" He asked. "Perhaps an hour or two nap would do us good as well. We've both been rather busy of late."

He let the question hang for a moment before addressing Ashe's direct question. "The Valley of Mist is a mythical place that's said to be the birthplace of Mahiya and a sacred sconce for the various Divinities." Maccabeus answered. "A cradle of the Great Cycle and piety, so to speak. Shankaria spoke of it every now and then. It sounds like a fantastic place. A little too fantastic, as legends tend to be. Why do you ask?"

Wildfire

"That sounds to me like it's a grand idea. And so it be that in the black of night that we go to the Ring to carry this seed to feel the way of action. The town is still rather active as it is only mid-evening." Ashe says.

"Had you heard of the Valley of Mist before arriving here?"
Wildfire

Johan

"Wisdom comes in the black of night." Maccabeus said. "Tell you what: let's take this youngling to the Ring, we can ask the bramble, and meditate upon it's planting. Perhaps the Divinities will let their will be known when we dance to them in the morning. No matter the event, we will have strength there to defend the Ring and the Vallenwood (along with her offspring). Perhaps it might summon allies as readily as foes."

He looked up at the elder and remarked "We are of a like mind, I think; this child shall be planted anon, Mahiya will it so."

Wildfire

Ashe was silent for a bit and then said, "It could very well prove to be a beacon for the servants of Zyxu. But it is also a sign of strength for us. A shining banner to display our power in this land. To show the abominations of The Void that we will not give in or go quietly. It will show them that we will kick their darkness until it bleeds daylight!"

Ashe goes quiet for another moment. then shakes his head as if to clear cobwebs from himself. he then says, "From what I can recall, the tree that sprouts from this acorn grows quickly...at least for a tree. If it's planted at the Ring there's no telling how it will grow. I mean, consider the five founts that are there. A Vallenwood drinking from all four of those waters...With all of my wisdom I am unable to say what could happen. Perhaps we should find out, yes?"

Ashe had a guilty smile on his face as if he were the cat that ate the canary.
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus gently received the great seed. It was indeed hefty, as he had surmised. It was warm and pulsed with vitality. Maccabeus could clearly tell now that he touched the acorn that the murmuring that he had heard was indeed coming from the acorn itself. It was more readily discernable, now that he was in contact with it, but still it wasn't intelligible. It was more akin to the murmuring of a child so small that it could not yet walk. It brought a profound smile to Maccabeus as he listened to it. He peered into the green luminance, as if he could see a creature there striving to live and grow.

"This should not be hidden in a trunk." He said softly. "This should be planted and reared. The Ring would indeed provide fertile soil for it, but I wonder if its presence there wouldn't be a beacon to every agent of Zyxu for a fortnight around? Would the site of the mighty tree that this is to become draw the fiends from every corner of this region to beset upon the Ring? The bramble is not so tall that this fellow could grow to strength without being seen. How quickly will it bear seeds of its own? How quickly can we nurture this and beget a stand of them, or a grove?" He looked up at Ashe questioningly.

Wildfire

Ashe said in regular volume, "So you do hear it? No one is out front Maccabeus. It's the acorn whispering. It's difficult to understand it right now but as it grows it speaks with clarity. When you do finally hear it you'll hear the speech of our brothers and sisters. You see, it was the Vallenwoods that taught us our language. That's why we regard them with such great honor."

Ashe extended the acorn to Maccabeus, "Here, hold it. It's okay.."
Wildfire

Johan

"Mamma-Mahiya!" Maccabeus breathed [color=green:464a6d5a79]with his best East-a Boston accent[/color]. "What a marvel!" The "acorn" was indeed much like the seed of the great oak tree, inasmuch as it was a roundish, greenish seed with a crown that was brown and flecked with green.

But there the similarities stopped. This acorn was huge, and judging by the way the Ashe handled it, it must have considerable heft, Maccabeus thought. The green rhythm that pulsed out in waves of light mesmerized the little gnome; he put his hand up to it, but stopped short of touching it. From the little distance away from the acorn he could feel the life energies so vibrant in the seed.

"Hssst!" Maccabeus turned suddenly, hearing whispers of people just above his threshold of hearing. "Someone is out front; I hear murmuring." He spoke conspiratorily now. With all this foul business about, one could never be too careful. Odd that Wolf is not concerned by the voices that Maccabeus could hear so clearly (although he could not make out specific words).

He looked questioningly at the elder.

Wildfire

"Hmm...I never really gave that much thought. I guess I call it an acorn because that's what I was told it was. It does indeed look like an acorn but it's...well, wait just a minute."

Ashe goes to a chest on the far side of the room and begins to shuffle through it. Quickly he says, "AH HA! Something like this is hard to lose. Ashe pulls out what looks to be an acorn the size of Maccabeus's head! It is much like an acorn in shape and with the crown but from the inside is deep green glow that seems to pulse and beat like a heart. Ashe rubs it soothingly and the glow brightens.

Ashe says, "I've had this for years and years. I've been trying to find a place to plant it but until just now nothing came to mind. Would you like to plant it at the Ring of Mists?"
Wildfire

Johan

"But of course!" Maccabeus replied. "That said, I think that we're both fairly comfortable here, and there's time anon. Do you call it an acorn because it's related to the oak more than other trees, or is that simply an affection?"

Wildfire

Ashe laughs at Maccabeus's joke and then says, "That's a good question. A Vallenwood is a type of rare magical tree that grows to enormous height and girth. They never lose their leaves rather their leaves reflect the season that they're in...like a normal tree. Except in Venric the leaves become white laced with grey and silver. There are vast groves of them in the Valley and in Kaaryn'Zyth. You might find one in the Wildlands if you're lucky. Most of them were cut down and hoarded as the power of the old Kingdom stretched from the northern coast south to the Dragonteeth Mountains. It's a great example of the horrors brought on by arrogance, greed, and a lust for power. I actually have an acorn of a Vallenwood. Would you like to see it?"
Wildfire

Johan

"Such things in the Dale are very personal. There are no real outward symbols that separate one clan from another. I think that such a thing would more tend to separate us one from another, while the prudent course is to merge with eachother to better ensure our own survival."

Macabeus closed his eyes comfortably as the two spoke. "I guess the closest thing that we get to a symbolic unity is whether you are shorter than this." He held his hand over his head for comedic emphasis.

"So what's a Vallenwood Mystic? Is there a Vallenwood forest, or was there a fellow named Vallenwood?"

Wildfire

Ashe glanced sidelong at Maccabeus admiring his eye for detail. as Ashe began to speak he too stretched his feet towards the fire. "Oh the heat from the fire feels so good on my toes! That symbol is of the special order that Orion established during the old wars. Fittingly enough they were called the Warriors of the Wolf. All of the ancient Heroes of Elsenban created their own orders to establish a sense of unity among the people."

Ashe pulls out his bronzewood medallion of two crescents pointing away from each othe entwined by a circle ans says, "This is what you might say is the sister order to the Warriors which is called The Vallenwood Mystics. To this day the orders still survive but only among a few...mostly the decendants of the original founders. Does you kindred have any special markings or symbols that would indicate special fellowships?"
Wildfire