- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Rocky Roads ( Completed )

Started by Griznuq, November 01, 2007, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

Light rain coated the ground keeping dust from kicking up behind the wheels of the merchant's cart on this, the fifth day out of the Knuckleroot Forest. This gray day did nothing to lessen the chubby human's banter. It was remarkable how much could be said without ever really having anything to say and surely Orath pushed the limits. Every subject slid easily into the next through some segue or another.

"On my way through Carolmire I managed to pick up this," the merchant said, showing Fir'ath a gold band pinching the flesh of his chubby ring finger. It was very shiney.
=]V[=

Dray

"Looks like that was some time ago," said Fir'Ath.

Griznuq

"Oh, Quite!" Orath said, clearly missing the poke at his weight.

The day passed on uneventfully, and the two moved off the road to set up camp. This was the usuall process. "We're making good time, Fir'ath, at this rate we should be to Rockwater village by the end of the day tomorrow. Only six days! How the time passes when in good company!" He gave a small chuckle.

"You know, I have a terriffic tea if you'd like to try some, it's wonderful with a little honey. It's made from the leaves of the Ironbark tree, and said to have excellent calming and healing properties. You know a friend of mine once had an aweful cold and he had a single cup of this... Poof! the cold was gone the next day. No exaggeration."

The little man was so animated in his speach he was beginning to work up a sheen of perspiration.

"I'll get the tin, would start a small cooking fire?"
=]V[=

Dray

Fir'Ath was not used to being with company for such a long period of time. Even back at the village, he was never with someone for more than a few hours, save his clutchmate.

But there was something about this man that was ...."warm" he said to himself, as he stirred up a small fire.

Griznuq

"Eh?" Asked Orath. "I was thinking to myself it was getting a bit chilly. These old bones don't hold up the way they used to."

The tin he produced from the back of the wagon was hardly a tin at all. It was more a miniature chest. It was a brushed brass box about the size of a grapefruit.

He grabbed the tea pot and a couple of boxes the two had been using as chairs.

"This tea was a gift from the Centuars of Ironbark," he said struggling slightly with all the things he was carrying.  "Or... that is to say, it was a gift from an elvin friend who lives with the Centuars. Rich smokey flavor."
=]V[=

Dray

"Must be valuable?" Fir'Ath asked, nodding to the brass mini-chest.

Griznuq

"Oh," he stopped and regarded the box. "I'd be surprised if it wouldn't fetch a small fortune, yes." He grinned.

"But something like this... Selling this would be a travesty!" His voice brimmed with excitement and passion. "This is like being handed and artifact fromt he Age of Legend! These leaves came from trees that were here since the beginning of time. To put a price on this would be... Rotten! And I'm a merchant!" he chuckled.

"But, if I had to guess, I'd say this little box, which is actually pretty close to full right now would bring say... two, maybe three thousand gold? This tea is sought by royalty the world over, and most of them still have never had any."

It began to seem unclear if the little human was actually going to put the rest of his burden down any time soon.
=]V[=

Dray

Fir'Ath looked amusedly bewildered.

"If has medicinal properties, is considered and artifact by some, and a luxury of kings....why are we drinking it?"

Griznuq

Orath stuttered, "wha... I.. Fir'ath, this... You..."

He stopped and breathed.

"Fir'ath, there are things in this world that Kings want because they may deserve them... Respect perhaps, accountability most certainly... THIS?" he held the box aloft. "This my friend, is FAR too good to waste upon someone who thinks they deserve it. *I* certainly do not deserve it, and that makes it all the better!"

He laughed deeply as he filled the kettle with water.
=]V[=

Dray

Fir'ath raised an eyebrow, then made an obvious effort to scan the horizon of the way they had come.

Griznuq

"Are you expecting someone?" asled Orath.
=]V[=

Dray

"The Kings men." Fir'ath said with a bemused smirk. He was unsure how much weight the story held on how he procurred such a tea. Centaurs? Elves? Kings?

'More likely this is a tea he purchased from the back of a cart,' he thought to himself, and inspected the brass on the chest for marks of wear.

Still, the aroma of the tea was incredible after Oarth had placed it in the warm water at the fire.

Griznuq

The chuckling companionship made the time go by. Orath seemed pretty happy for Fir'ath's company.

Before the pair knew it, they were arriving at Rockwater Village.

The place was just how Orath had described it... A trading post turned into a small village.

"Ah," Orath said as the two walked into the peremeter of the village. "I've not been here in some time. Used to be I knew some folks in town here, but I think they've gone. I will most likley be paying for the week's lodging."
=]V[=

Dray

For the first time on the trip, Fir'Ath was self-conscious of what must be his ominous size. Not only was he one of the tallest of his race, but now he wore a massive cloak to cover his wings. Add to that the size of the massive warhorse, and he defintely stood out of place.

He dismounted from Mithril and walked alongside the merchant's small wagon.

Griznuq

Rockwater village was not what one would call the most hospitable of places. Merchants lined the roads ringing bells and yelling about their latest great deal on apples or bolts of cloth or jewelry. Chickens and other such small live stock made as much noise as possible from within their little wooden cages. The smell was a cacophony of manure, and stale sweat.

The roads were rutted dirt with wagons being pulled by various beasts of burden to move on to the next stop. People pushed past each other rudely, not moving an inch to the side unless bumped by someone or something.

"Don't let them bump into you like that," Orath said. "You'll find yourself one coin purse lighter." He said it almost as an afterthought as if it were nothing out of the ordinary.

Orath was smiling ear to ear looking at this chaos. He tilted his head back, closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Who knew what kind of disease he was inhaling!

"Do you smell that?" he said grandly. "That my fine feathered friend is the smell of profit! And to think, I'll be here for an entire week!"
=]V[=