- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Royal Company

Started by Wildfire, June 18, 2008, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

'Odd,' she said to Jordan, who didn't reply.

She sat for a few moments and sipped her coffee. Then with a start she remembered something absolutely critical.

"Damnit! I forgot to ask her for pancakes!" she said aloud.

Jordan giggled.

Wildfire

From beyond the door the distant brogue voice chimed "Aye, pancakes. I'll bring a right big stack and some bronzesap fer ya Miss Kit. Worry ye not." The woman's voice trailed away as she finished her acknowledgement.

As Kit lavished in the bath enjoying the scrumptious coffee she looked upon the wall opposite of her and noticed a tapestry most extraordinary. The hem was laced with maroon tassels and hung from an ornately carved double spear. The tapestries that Kit had seen to date were mostly scenic and portrayed a historical event of some sort. This one however, was a map.

Having sailed before, Kit was more familiar than the average person in the geography of the land and especially the sea. Many nights were spent with her beloved Captain organizing the maps into order and hours were spent on how to read them. The Captain had maps from all over the world- not just sea maps but land maps as well. This tapestry was much older than any map the Captain had.

The thread that was woven to make the tapestry had a distinct sheen to it. It was not ordinary thread, Kit surmised, but was of a special quality. It had a distinct aura about it that eluded Kit as to it's origin; did it come from the tapestry itself or did the morning light catch it just right? Either way, it was a beautiful piece of work that spoke of an older time.  

Judging by the general play of shapes, she could tell almost instantly that the map was dedicated to a section of Elsenban.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

"Ah my Captain," Kit said as she gazed upon the map and thought of her recent home in Aldebaron. "I hope you fare well, for there doesn't appear to be a powerful enough healer in all the land to mend your back."

She sipped her delicious coffee and enjoyed the tub for a few more moments, all the while dwelling on memories in the other port city she had briefly called home. She couldn't decide to be sad or happy about the bittersweet memories.

Reluctantly she got out of the tub and dried off with a huge fluffy towel that had been at the tub's side. With it draped over her shoulders, it's length almost touching the floor, she walked across the room and inspected her still 'toasty' clothes. She wrinkled her brow however, for not only was the over-sized clothing still as drab as it ever was, it also appeared to be getting quite frayed from being over worn.

'Why the long face?' came Jordan's query to her mind.

Over the past few weeks, Kit had gotten very familiar with the entity that Ashe had deemed a psi-crystal. Although Jordan had the mind of a eight or nine year old, she still had quickly become her most trusted companion and confidante. The aquamarine sand-dollar shaped crystal had come to mean more to Kit then just a representation of a fragment of her psyche. She was like a little sister, and any family during these trying times had a place in Kit's heart.

'The clothes are way past their prime,' she finally replied to her. Kit already knew the argument about to be had.

'I think they're perfect! That large blouse not only hides your boobs but is long enough to cover your crotch! No more men staring at you with bad thoughts. Jordan had Kit's memories, so although she acted like a nine-year old, she unfortunately had far more experience than a typical child. With that experience came an understanding of what certain evil men wanted, and more importantly, what they were willing to do to get it.

Kit sighed and although she agreed with her neurotic little companion, she was tired of the hiding. After Jordan was born in Ashe's Apothecary, Kit was in so embarrassed and in such utter shock from the event that, at the time, she agreed whole-heartedly with her introverted companion. Kit not only hid in her room and stayed absent from Threshold for days, but when she did finally emerge, she attempted to get as little attention as possible. That included wearing this very same outfit now hanging before her.

But as the weeks passed, the pain of the event had very much diminished, and as it faded, Kit had realized a very important thing about herself. The fear that had been building for three years as she experienced tragedy after tragedy was no longer hers to endure alone. It had diminished in significant proportion, a large part of the fear transferring with the psyche fragment that was instilled into Jordan.

The immense emotional weight this lifted off of Kit's shoulders was profound. She now felt more confident than she ever had in her life.

From talking to Ashe in her lessons, she had come to realize that her flirtation mannerisms and somewhat-questionable outfits that she had worn (prior to having Jordan) were all just a form of denial to her being a victim of rape. A way of convincing herself that it didn't matter what had been done to her, she was still going to act and dress in whatever way she liked.

Kit had thought Ashe's words were a bit overstated at the time, but she now saw a little bit of wisdom in them. And that recognition had come only because the blinding fear no longer concealed everything.

'I can't disagree with you Jordan, but I also refuse to hide for the rest of my life,' she pathed to Jordan.

'Why the fuck not?!'

'LANGUAGE!' Kit reprimanded. She started to pull the leather breaches on. It was amazing that although the waist in the pants was very narrow, they were still loose on her bony hips. She really need to eat a dozen stacks of pancakes quick, or she would simply vanish altogether.

'Sorry,' Jordan apologized. And she truly sounded sincere. Kit had learned that the crystal-child often swore absent-mindedly when any idea presenting change was given to her, especially if it went against her primary emotion...fear.

'I am not going to return to my immature ways of the past, but neither am I going to dress like a street beggar either,' she pathed to Jordan in a parental tone.

She threw the peasant's blouse over her head having forgotten to lace the neck after it had been returned from cleaning. Her body passed right through the top of the blouse and it fell too the floor in a pile around her feet.

Jordan laughed so hard that the crystal shook on the table.

'Ha, ha, very funny,' replied Kit, but she did giggle a little bit, despite herself.

She sat back on the bed, and after many moments she finally managed the laces back into the small holes of the bodice and put the blouse back on.

Just in time for the knock on the door...

Wildfire

"Miss Kit? Are you ready fer yer breakfast?" the charming voice of the servant woman seemed to state as much as ask. "You have a right fine tower of steamy pancakes topped with a cascade of bronzesap with oozy, melting butter." Kit's stomach began to growl at the vivid description. Even Jordan expressed her delight to Kit. The woman didn't stop. "Add to that a frothy mug of chilled milk and a bowl of fresh and juicy sythus fruit and I'd say you have a breakfast worthy of a queen, or at least a duchess...who is here by the by."

From beyond the door the woman smiled knowing that if the food hadn't gotten her attention the presence of the duchess surely would. Deep inside it seemed to the servant woman that at the moment the food was probably of more importance to the skinny girl.
Wildfire

Dray

Kit ran to the door and opened it for her guests, she stepped aside to allow the servant woman in with the large tray of food.

"Come on in please...erm, I didn't catch your name?" she asked the servant woman. Before the servant woman could answer, Kit bowed her head and gave the Duchess behind her a curtsy.

"Hello...err, your...your Highness." she said awkwardly, not knowing how to address the Duchess Nicola. She was so suddenly and unexpectedly nervous that she didn't even look up from the floor.

Wildfire

Kit formally addressed the Duchess before she knew the truth of the situation. As she finished her greeting statement she suddenly realized that only the servant woman stood at the door. She had a cart before her with a polished silver warming lid.

The woman looked at her and playfully stated with a wink, "Aye lass...I don't believe I dropped it either. You, however, can call me Nicola. Shall we eat?"
Wildfire

Dray

Upon the servant woman's words, Kit jerked her head up and found that she had indeed curtsied an empty corridor.

'I told you not to trust her.' Jordan pathed to Kit with satisfaction.

Kit looked back and forth from the empty door where the Duchess Nicola was supposed to be, to the servant woman who claimed to be her.

"You're the Arch-Duchess Nicola Valensun of Kurr?!" Kit exclaimed in shocked disbelief.

'Why don't you off-button yourself,' Kit pathed back to Jordan and couldn't help but smile at her own quip. The servant wom...the Duchess caught her smile and returned her own as she put the tray down.

(OOC: WF, I recently went through this entire thread and switched the colors for Kit and Jordan, having realized I had them backwards. I am anal like that. I just didn't want you to be confused.)

Kit = Yellow
Jordan = Cyan

Wildfire

Nicola held back her laughter and instead gave a knowing wink. "Aye lass...I am at that. You must be hungry methinks." She offhandedly motioned to a dark wooded table near the hearth. "Please, sit yerself and enjoy this glorious morning. I must be saying....these pancakes? Well, they look mighty enough to change the mind of an angry giant."

Nicola pulled the lid from the breakfast plates and Kit's belly howled out in gurgling joy. A cloud of steam wafted up from inside the lid and the mornings treasure was revealed. The smell of all the food made Kit's mouth water and it was all she could do from launching herself face first into her giant stack of oversized pancakes that was to be drooling with bronzesap and butter. The second plate had an assortment of toasted breads, cheeses, and fruits. A third plate had a hill of scrambled eggs partnered with a steak as thick as two fingers side by side.

The auburn haired Duchess in her servant clothes smiled warmly at Kit as though sensing the young girl's confusion to the situation. "Won't you join me in this morning meal?" Kit's empty belly roared as if to answer the question.
Wildfire

Dray

'Remember, this is not Keltan,' Jordan pathed from end-table perch.

'I know, I will eat like a lady,' Kit replied to her telepathically. She gave the Duchess a small curtsy in thanks and sat down at the table.

'When you are done, don't burp and call her a magnificent bastard either,' Jordan pathed back.

Kit giggled at the table, and to cover her unscheduled jubilation quickly said, "it really looks magnificent Duch....erm, Nicola. Thank you so much."

She carefully took two pancakes off the top of the stack and placed them on her plate. Bronzesap syrup went everywhere as she did so. "Oops." She then placed a little of everything else around the pancakes and simply stared at the glory of it all while she waited for the Duchess to prepare her own plate.

The Duchess, in turn, poured them both a frothing cup of milk and sat down. Kit wondered how they got the milk to be so cold, for the edges of the steel mug were already covered with the cool water of condensation.

"So," she began with her new found royal friend, "why didn't you tell me all along who you were? If I may be so bold to ask." Kit asked politely. It was an absolute victory of willpower that she hadn't thrown her face into the pancakes.

Wildfire

Nicola spooned some of the eggs onto her plate and carved a generous cut of the steak. Even she was starving at this point and was anxious to eat. She waited for Kit to get her plate set before she even considered picking up her fork.

"Aye...that is, indeed, a good question. However, I must say that ye didn't ask until just now." She teased with a smile. "But I'm sure what ye really be wondering is what a Duchess is doing in servant clothes and making breakfast fer guests, eh?" The steak on the end of her fork was succulent by any standards and as Nicola popped a bit into her mouth a hearty hum of delicious approval came forth. "How's yer food Miss Kit? If ye be of a mind to, ye should try this steak."
Wildfire

Dray

Kit was completely befuddled by the supposed royal-person's unusual behavior. She smiled though and said, "I just might do that," she lied, "I am so hungry I could eat a horse." Kit didn't really eat the flesh of animals, eggs and fish was usually the closest she came to it.

As Nicola started in on her steak, Kit timidly starting eating her pancakes, until her stomach audibly growled from under the table-top. Nicola looked at her with a knowing smile, and one that firmly requested Kit to dig in and not worry about appearances.

Kit obeyed, and shortly had half a stack of the huge pancakes gobbled up. As she slowed down, her eyes bigger than her stomach after all, she abandoned the luscious pancakes and picked up some of the Sythus fruit.

As she started to nibble the delectable purple colored fruit, she decided to ask the question.

"So...why then?" she asked, finally returning the Duchess' posed question back to her.

Wildfire

Nicola was in mid chew when Kit asked the question. She held up her finger as a sign of recognition to the inquiry. When she finished she took a draw from her mug of milk and cleared her throat.

"Well" the Duchess stated, "a few reasons. I wanted to be seeing ye as ye really are and not under the stress o' me title. Honesty in ones' character is very important to me." She looked at Kit with unwavering eyes- eyes that seemed to read right through Kit.

Proudly, she continued to explain, "But Corwynn and I also find it important to be remembering that we are people the same as anyone...from farmer to tailor to rat catcher. A title is just that, a title. It is only given power through ones actions. First and foremost, the Duke and myself are servants...we serve the people. No one thing is above or beneath us. That includes making our guests welcome."

Nicola took another bite of her eggs. "These eggs really are quite delicious." She took another sip of her milk. "Often, the Duke and I will take a day to pamper those that serve us. We'll walk along the streets and talk to people and be among them...even have festivals in where we cook fer those that join the fun. I spent much o' me life in this Keep...as a servant, if ye can believe that, and I have seen other members o' the court separate themselves from those they be claiming to serve. They somehow got it in their heads that they be apart, better than the rest o' society. Corwynn saw it too. When he decided to make me his wife..." her voice trailed off a bit "great gum we were so in love...and still are.." Nicola snapped out of her reverie, "he vowed never to be removed from the people he served and was served by. Above all things, it's the people that make this our city-state of Kurr work...and we are proud to be serving them. And so I am proud to serve you good miss."  

Nicola took a piece of Sythus fruit and bit into it. As she did a jet of purple juice squirted across her cheek. "Oh...me stars and gardens!" she exclaimed. She wiped the purple streak from her face with her napkin. "The other truth o' the matter dear Kit...is that I simply adore cooking."
Wildfire

Dray

Kit had giggled at very polite curse following the offending juice squirt. She continued her smile as she said, "you are certainly very good at it Nicola". She emphasized her point with a return to her pancakes.

After a few more moments of eating Kit had to abandon all hope of regaining her weight in one meal, she simply could not stuff any more down into her gullet.

"This place is as warm and as inviting as Threshold my'Lady," she started. "As much as I look forward to returning home, it will be a challenge just to step out of this Keep and leave such a noble presence as yours. The people of Kurr are truly blessed and Paladine himself must smile at the mere thought of the welfare of this city."

Wildfire

Nicola paused a moment while chewing on a bite of her steak. "I do truly hope so. I'm glad ye be liking it here. And thanks so much...if I'm anything at all, I'm a cook."

The Duchess saw her opportunity to speak of a matter at hand. "Ye have an interesting instinct aboot ye good miss. As it's the welfare of Threshold and Paladine being one o' the reasons I'm here ta talk to ye." Nicola hoped Kit wouldn't choke on her milk at what must have seemed like an unexpected statement.

She eyed the girl closely and in her mind prepared the answer to Kit's inevitable question.
Wildfire

Dray

One of Kit's hands had been playing with the Paladine charm hanging around her neck, she lowered it and sat up a little straighter.

"What can I do for you Duchess Nicola?" she asked.