- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

07.25.2127 - A Boy of the Cloth

Started by Dray, November 25, 2008, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Harrison sat in his favorite spot amongst the trees of the park district and watched as Clive teased the "normal" squirrels.

It had been two months since the Ascension Day Grande Ball and he had much on his mind.

Griznuq

Harrison climbed slowly down from his perch and strolled out to greet his older friend.
=]V[=

Dray

Right on time, Montey appeared a few hundred feet on the sidewalk from around a bend and was making his way towards him while whistling a ditty.

He saw Harrison waiting for him, and waved with a smile. Even the day's overcast sky which threatened rain didn't downplay Montey's mood. Never did.

Griznuq

Harrison's mind, on the other hand, was quite dark this day. Since the ballroom, he'd realized that there was quite a bit that he didn't know about Our Commons, and his ignorance was getting him in trouble.

Any trouble he got into, had potential to get others in trouble as well, specifically Emma. Harrison knew that anything either one of them did from now on could in some way be construed as a negative influence from the other. After their intial meeting, and his discussion in the ballroom with the judge, they would forever be thought of in unison.

The only logical answer to his problems was to learn. He would never learn anything about the social mechanics in the Harvester's house.

There were many questions that Harrison had asked no one in particular since he'd been made to choose a house, and they were all about things that were taught in a house he'd not chosen.

Harrison had decided that he wanted to be a member of the Clergy house. As sour as it sounded to Harrison, he knew in his heart that it was the only way to find the answers he sought. Perhaps it would help to bring him closer to Emma as well.

He made himself discard the thought. He'd caused her enough grief already. The best thing he could do for either of them was stay clear of her.
=]V[=

Dray

"Hello Harrison, bring the nutcase for a refill? How are you today my friend?" asked Montey as he put the front legs down of his cart.

Griznuq

"Heh," Harrison said pulling the nutcase from his pocket.  "I certainly did!"

Harrison insisted on paying for every refil of the nut case.
=]V[=

Dray

The smell of cinnamin-coated chestnuts wafter up and out of the opened lid in the cart and into Harrison's nose. Paying for chestnuts wasn't hard once that lid was open.

"So how is life treating you young Master?"

Griznuq

Harrison wondered if he should answer truthfully.

"Sometimes you're the plow, other times you're the soil," he said simply.

"Montey, I think I made a mistake in choosing the Harvesters. I think I would benefit much more by being in the Clergy house."
=]V[=

Dray

Montey paused a moment as if considering something, he then asked as gently as he could.

"Like Jonah?"

Griznuq

Harrison smiled, fully understanding Montey's point. "Yes and no. And, I wonder if it's possible to be IN that house and NEVER run into him." Harrison hadn't even considered that he'd see his father again.

"Anyway, my father saw holes in it all, he just chose to ignore them. Maybe he was forced to, who knows."

"But I'll never know how much is wrong, until I know how much there is. Right now, I don't even know the fundamentals of etiqutte in a church, and it's causing me problems," he explained, rubbing the rib he'd mended upon returning to his room after the Ball.

=]V[=

Dray

"Not to be condescending lad, but that is some really heavy thought for such a young Master. Dare I say that I am proud of you boy," he said with a smile.

Griznuq

Harrison beamed. This was the first time that anyone besides his mother said they were proud of him.

"Thanks!" he said. "I gotta do something to stop getting my backside handed to me! Do you have any idea how to go about this? I'm sure it's no surprise, I'm in uncharted lands here!"
=]V[=

Dray

"Well, as near as far as I can tell young Master. One in your position has to petition the school board for a transfer to a House, which isn't totally unheard of by a ten year old," Montey stated, giving Harrison hope.

"But you have to present a strong reason for the switch and almost show that you are overqualified for the job. Plus you need a sponsor for the switch within the House being transferred too."

Griznuq

The words hung in Harrison's mind all afternoon. A sponsor. Someone who will stake their reputation on his success... He couldn't ask Emma to do that, it would only further complicate everything and he'd likely be declined.

Harrison lay on his bed staring at the ceiling, and throwing a chestnut up in the air, and catching it, just to throw it up again. He didn't even know anyone else in that house though.

"Oh wait." he said outloud, not bothering to catch the chestnut. "Like Jonah," he echoed Montey's words.

He closed his eyes and sighed a resigned sigh.

With a short letter to Emma, Clive was off to find out where Jonah had been stationed.
=]V[=

Dray

It was four hands before Clive came back with a return message. Harrison was just dozing off when Clive leapt on him from the nearby open window of the orphanage bedroom.

He took the note from his satchell.

'Sorry for the wait, it took awhile to get the information. He was reassigned to the Southaven shrine a little over two weeks ago. Is Jonah Arbuckle your father?!'

(OOC: this post may be edited, pending your reply to my email)