- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

PF MECHANICS: A Little Help From Your Friends

Started by Wildfire, February 02, 2016, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

Sometimes opponents are just frustratingly tough. They have pesky things like Armor, Dexterity, protection spells, and bad breath. Other times characters can't seem to hit. This is either by players being serially bad dice rollers despite the bonuses their characters have (*looks at the Griznuqs*), their melee attack just isn't great, or some other mysterious reason (honestly, the possibilities are endless). Well if you find you're getting your rump roast handed to you by the eager orcish butcher then ask for some help! Here's one way help can help...

Aid Another

In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you're in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent's next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character's skill check.

Many prescribe to having a good offense as being the best defense and many times that's true. On the occasion that you need some help hitting something that everyone is missing isn't it nice to pool your efforts to get the job done? Consider this one more tool in the toolbox!
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

Nice...is that a core mechanic of PF, or is that from some other source?
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

This is a core mechanic. When I started to post these PF mechanic snippets the "House Rules" section made sense as a place to put them. Now I'm thinking "General Info". So if I can move them there I will.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity