- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

12.21.2132 - Renee's Concern

Started by Dray, March 28, 2008, 05:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

This occurs after the Whisper Meeting on 12.21.2132, which is accounted for in Weekend Plans post

Dray

Temmit, although younger by two and a half years, was a few inches taller than Renee. He watched carefully over her shoulders as they weaved around crates in the small corridor. They headed away from the main corridor in which they had come from earlier this evening and within a turn ran into a dead end. Although it looked like the corridor continued, stacks of crates blocked their path.

Without a word, Renee reached in between two crates that had just enough space for her to do so. Temmit heard something metal within the crates slide. Renee put her hand at the side of a crate at the mid-level of a misaligned stack and much to Temmit's amusement, the entire front column of crates turned quietly to the side. The crates, which had looked full, used and heavy, were actually hollow and had a space large enough for a person to walk through.

"A friend of mine told me about this one," Renee whispered to him while pointing at the secret crate door with her thumb.

Temmit noted that as a 'question for later' and they scurried through the opening. The continuing corridor beyond was not lit, so Renee cast a light spell on her hand and they walked on. The corridor was no longer littered with crates and completely barren. The only adornment was the lines in between the granite blocks that the walls of the tunnel were made of.

After a couple of turn of walking straight along the path, that seemed to have no turn or egress of any kind anywhere, Renee stopped.

Renee leaned her back against the right-hand wall, she still looked apprehensive to Temmit, but she now also looked more determined. She lowered the hand with the light spell so as not to blind Temmit while she whispered.

"There is a secret door in the wall behind me that goes to a small room in which we can talk," she said quietly.

Temmit looked questioningly down the way not travelled.

Renee snickered. Her facial features then shifted into the serious demeanor that Temmit recognized as a prelude to interesting information forthcoming.

"That way my friend...leads indirectly to the valley's edge, 50 miles beyond the Outer Rim, and deep into the Outlands."

Johan

Temmit's eye brow shot up at that revelation. He immediately became lost is a sea of thoughts regarding what security measures there might be that prevented demons from entering through this passage. Was there a cave with a boulder blocking it? A worked wall? More cleverly hidden doors? Why would such a passage have been built, anyway? When, and how? Perhaps this was how that Outlands Patrol that Renee spoke of earlier came and went beyond the rim? Suppose there were more of these tunnels? One to each point on the compass?

"STOP IT!!" Smokey commanded him. Every now and then Temmit's mind ran away with him, asking questions in rapid sequence, swiftly considering outcomes, answers, theories, and conclusions. And just as swiftly disposing of them as well, only to present a new one or two. These mental side trips, left unattended, might consume Temmit for an entire weekend, and Smokey knew that this was not the time for one of those side trips.

"Refocus." Smokey said more calmly. "We're here for a different reason. You can entertain thoughts of Outlands later. Right now, we need to know what's on Renee's mind." He was right, Temmit knew, and perhaps this is what Renee wanted: to reestablish a patrol beyond the Rim and into the Outlands. That would certainly raise concern. "Perhaps. Perhaps not."

"Open the door." Temmit whispered. He watched closely as she did so, looking for the secret mechanism that could now lead to another secure meeting place.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

The walls were made of singular 8' square blocks that ran floor to ceiling. Renee pushed the left-hand edge of the block to the right of the one she had been leaning against. It pushed in effortlessly about a hand in depth, pivoting at its vertical center four feet away, the block wasn't as thick as one would presume.  She then pushed on the block in front of her and it pivoted at its center as well, but this one fully opened, revealing a four foot wide thruway to what appeared to be a small room beyond.

Renee led Temmit into the room, which appeared to be furnished, at least in a limited way, to be a (12' x 10') bedroom. After Temmit walked in Renee pushed the wall back behind him, which closed with a definitive click.

The rooms furnishings were meager, but the fact that they were even there was a note to more questions for Temmit. A cot stood at the opposing corner to the entry, next to it a stool had been converted into a makeshift nightstand. Just in front of where he stood was a small table with three chairs, none of them matching. And in the corner to his right was a writing desk with another stool.

Renee sat down at the table and motioned for Temmit to sit. Her body language still conveying to him that she was nervous and uncertain.

"We can talk just below a whisper in here, the door blocks sound really well," Renee said, looking at her hands on the table.

Johan

Temmit sat down as Renee had indicated. He wondered how this room got its air supply, but saw no obvious vents.

"Why don't you tell me what's bothering you, and how it concerns me, other than my loyal willingness to help?" He asked

Dray

(OOC: The vent is under the cot. In fact, Lowtown has multiple levels and a complex system of vents that were created when the sewerage system was constructed 1400+ years ago. The result of which is grates all over Lowtown in great frequency, usually they are only small enough for rats to pass through, about 6"Wx3"H to 12"W x 6"H. The pump stations, 8 or so massive buildings in the city above, not only regulate water but also pump air into Lowtown to maintain positive airflow, air that gets pumped downwards and doesn't reflect back or get blocked (won't tell you why). Someday I will have Lowtown all detailed in an underground map, you'll see, I promise. Anyway....)

Renee looked at Temmit for almost a full turn. As she did so, Temmit, feeling challenged by the stare, stared back, blinking to be polite. He could see her uncertainly fade as each tick passed.

"How like my father you are Temmit."

Temmit had met Renee's father a few times and on more than one occasion had the distinct pleasure of talking to the man. Although he was a chestnut farmer close to the Outer Rim, he was far from simple. The level-headed, emotionally-even-keeled man kept up to date with current events and had a keen political mind, always able to share his concerns for the governments direction without adding the irrational rhetoric of opinion. The man was so calm and collected that Temmit found him to be very easy to talk too and.....

'I think that is her point genius,' Smokey reprimanded, bringing him back to focus.

Renee had paused during Temmit's reflection on her father and he immediately knew she was trying to judge his emotion, not that she had the gift of empathy, she was just being a girl.

She continued without making comment on it though, "very direct and to the point (her father), but thoughtful and compassionate for others, even if not for their emotional state."

"Yes," she paused with a slight challenging smile, "you are just like him."

Johan

"I don't understand." Temmit said. Perhaps he had mistaken her concern that he sensed and it is really reflected upon her father? Was she concerned for her father? "Is something wrong with your father?"

"Tell me what's bothering you this evening." He repeated. "Because something is clearly bothering you...on your mind, and I can't fathom why you might say that you need to talk, and then not talk." His eyes shifted a bit then. "Sorry. What's wrong?"

Dray

Renee wasn't leader of Whisper for nothing, she drummed up the courage and dug in.

"When Emma takes over 4 months from now she is going to replace you with Harrison as a lieutenant," she announced. Then waited for his reaction.

Johan

Temmit watched Renee closely as she said what she said. As far as it went, he didn't understand the issue as yet.

"And..." he prompted. He wondered what that might have to do with her father?

Dray

(OOC: I know eh?! Women worry about the STAH - HUPIDEST things!)

Renee blinked, made to say something, blinked again, shut her half-open mouth that had been caught in mid-sentence...and blinked again.

Johan

"Are you ok, Renee?" Temmit asked, getting deeper into his confusion. He wasn't sure if he should hug her; did she need consoling for something? Perhaps she was worried about going to war?

"Honestly, just let me help; if you'll only tell me what's wrong?"

Dray

Renee caught herself and asked, "How is it that you read others so well when it isn't about you, but read us terrible when it concerns you? I am worried about your feelings on the matter you big dope!" Renee said with a bit of new animation.

Johan

Temmit blinked repeatedly. Then did so again. "My feelings?" He echoed.

"Don't ask me. I'm in the dark here too." Smokey said.

"What have my feelings got to do with your father?"

"HAHA! You *are* and idiot!"

Dray

Renee finally caught onto his apparent confusion and turned a bit frustrated.

"No, no, no," she sighed.

"By all that is...." she sighed again.

"Temmit. Forget my father for a turn, although you apparently could be his long lost son, but for this moment stop thinking upon him," sha said while waving a finger in front of him. Then she actually waited for him to stop thinking about the man. She had a feeling he was thinking about how he could possibly be Renee's brother, so she waited for a bit longer. When his eyes came to focus she began again.

"My concern here, or at least the first one, and fate knows we may have to be here all night at this rate...my concern here is for your feelings on the matter of being replaced in Whisper."

Johan

"Really?!?" Temmit considered this notion: her only concern had been for how he felt. "That's very..."

"Odd?" Smokey provided helpfully.
"No..." Temmit responded aloud.
"Paranoid.?"
"No..."
"Goofy?"
"Yes, but no..."
"Girlish?"
"Can't say that, certainly."
"Confusing?"
"Certainly."
"Better say something to her next."
"True enough."

Temmit's coal eyes snapped back to Renee's green ones. "I don't know what to say, actually. I'm...um...ok?" He shook his head, and it was clear to Renee that he still didn't fully understand.

How could such a smart and insightful young man be so completely obtuse?

"It is Emma's decision as to who is a lieutenant, after all. She needs to be comfortable with her officers, and if she's not comfortable with me, then she needs to replace me." He shook his head...he was clearly missing something. "Are *you* ok with it?"