- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Session 1 - (ICD)

Started by Dray, March 19, 2008, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himo

Lucien made his way through the room into a small corner, there he took a seat upon a small little piece of stone.

Dray

Renee spoke in whispers to her pair of confidantes and then stepped forward on the makeshift stage of crates while Emma and Temmit sat down.

"Greetings everyone," she said with a warm smile and everyone immediate hushed and let out a round of applause at the same time. As the clapping died down she continued.

"It is heart-warming and delightful to see all of you as well. Thank you one-and-all for coming this evening." she said, still smiling from a few feet above the dozens of children.

With that, she held up hand and with a flick of her finger in front of her face, she cast the cantrip that places a small candle-flame about 6 inches in front of her face. She recited, in a strong whisper, the Whisper pledge. Many recited in whisper with her, and the affect of so many member whispering the passage echoed about the room ominously.

"I am a whisper, although strong with intent, I am only meant for the concern of the trusted. I pledge that I will be ever-questioning of my destiny, and only accept the truth of what is known and not told. My flicker of light is the fire of what will someday change future history."

With that, Renee exhaled forcefully and extinguished the arcane flame, some said a word of prayer to Kaine, others simply clapped softly.

Renee smiled, walked about the stage a bit and looked over at each one of them before starting. "I can't tell you how proud I am of this guild and of each one of you this day. We number thirty-seven members and yet no-one above knows one peep about us. It is an accomplishment for any guild to remain secret, but more-so, a guild consisting of so many that are so young to be hidden for so long is am achievement."

Whispers of response like 'damn straight', 'yeah', and 'no one will ever know from me' flitted about the room.

"And soon my friends, we could be forty." she said with a gleam in her eye.

Shock and awe broke all around the room, for that could only mean she had three more candidates to interview, an unprecedented amount all at once. This year they had picked up four new recruits, and thought that was a lot!

"That's right my friends, three children, two right here in Our-Commons, have shown promise and will be interviewed this very weekend. Wish us luck," she said with a nod to her two lieutenants.

Johan

Temmit scrutinized the audience. Looking for anything that might be not as he thought it should be.

His eyes burned.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Shannon paused to recite the pledge. She was never one for pledges for they usually meant blind faith. This pledge was about anything but that. It had a sentiment that she took to heart. Being artist, she could only accept what she had witnessed for herself.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Chassic

"Too many," thought Xavier. "She's too impetuos. One of these times she'll let in an informant. We should keep it small." Xavier, as always, kept these thoughts to himself.

Dray

"But I get a little ahead of myself. I wanted to talk to you on the increased activity of the guards during what is normally a slower time of year," nods went around the room. "It appears that the guards are only seeking for the increased black market activity in Lowtown and are NOT on to us," she said with a sympathetic smile that displayed how much she had worried that the younger members may have been scared.

"So not to worry all, we are still safe."

Dray

"And on to very exciting and recent business that I am sure some of you have been busting to hear," Renee said, clasping her hands behind her posterior and for a moment pausing as she soak in the room's anticipation.

"The Sword of Truth exists."

Stunned silence enveloped from the room as the meaning of her words took hold, then everyone in the room talked at once. Renee giggled as the questions all came at once.

'The sword from the play?'

'Where is it?'

'Who has it?'

'Does it really slay Karh'Thul in one swing?'

'Did we find it?'

'The one from the Battle of Millenguard?'

'Is the pommel gem still intact, does it still glow?'

'Does the government know?'

'Will the government destroy it?'

'Pfft, they probably will waste it on a statue!'

'How can we get it?'

'Will you wield it Renee?'

Almost every kid in the room had burst out with a question, their words tripping over each other in excitement. Renee raised her hand for quiet and continued, still smiling.

"It is very exciting news, for this sword, used to save the Kingdom in a battle over 14 centuries ago, has been nothing but a myth according to our beloved government. Even though the sword plays as a third leading role in some of the plays that are occurring in the theaters right above our heads as I speak." Renee pointed to the wood ceiling, which was the bottom floor of an unused warehouse basement in the Theater District. Either Mark or John, or perhaps even one of the guild runners would be stationed there now, listening in, and watching the basement entrance.

Renee acquiesced to the bright, beckoning eyes of the children who knew there was more, Renee never gave information based on hunches.

"Within the library, my source tells me that invisible arcane symbols have been discovered in various children's books. Cleverly hidden in fairy tales that have nothing to do with the sword, which seems to be missing in every historical text and serious "adult" books of education and fact in the rest of the library," Renee's smile had vanished and turned to a look of questioning concern. All knew Renee wanted to love the government, but as an abused child would love the offending parent, she would still run away, question, and be disillusioned.

"This source searched for countless hours through every book of the Arts section. Not an easy task. And was rewarded for the effort with a scrambled mass of letters, that once the source, and Emma and I decoded, turned into a message that not only gave me hope, but once again renewed my distrust of those above who would lie to us."

"That section is enormous, it must of taken him weeks," Jared exclaimed.

"It did my friend," Renee replied.

"What was the message? I am dieing of anticipation here!" Ashley asked with a smile.

"The Sword of Truth still exists within reach of a Hero."

The whole group of starry-eyed kids let out an audible exclamation of awe, which sounded really funny, so therefore a burst of laughter exploded in the room.

After a moment of goodly-founded sillyness, Renee put her hand again for attention.

"Now it is up to us to find it before a member of the government does. We have no further clues to go on, even though our source is now working diligently in other stacks to find more symbols."

Renee never revealed certain sources, trying to keep facets of the members in separate cells should the unthinkable happen. Better to keep hidden those directly responsible for transgressions of a certain nature, and therefore safe from future over-zealous questioning of soldiers. She had seen first hand the questioning, the torture, of black market criminals at the hands of the city guard, and that is why she was leader of Whisper today.

"So this is what I need you to do my friends, I need you to peek into your parents history. Those few of you who have parents who support this guild, ask them directly. Those of you who do not have this trust, I need to ask you to betray your parents this one time for the good of all that this guild represents. Seek out notes, journals or any clues within their "private" cubbies, invade their privacy and please do not get caught. I am hoping that somewhere we may find a clue. My deepest apologies for asking you to perform this task, but we must have that sword first. If you do get caught, well, we are kids aren't we? Parents always except 'I don't know' (Renee said dumbly) when caught."

The whole room giggled.

Dray

...more to come...

(OOC: Please feel free to post questions to Renee or email me questions on what is the known history of the Sword. Although I will be putting in a thread as soon as I can on the story of legend surround the Sword of Truth, it may take longer than I would want to wait to continue this thread. - did I say that right?)

Dray

"Also in the candlelight of new discoveries, we have yet another," Renee was pacing the short stage as she walked now, her mind in the thick of it.

"The same source, and you are going to love this, after library hours, watched as the guards and priests removed a stack of books from the vault and temporarily placed them in the library. The source thinks that they were making room for whatever they were doing behind that huge iron lock."

Everyone in the room was stunned. This news confirmed everything they always believed in but couldn't prove, the government truly was keeping knowledge away from the public.

"And our incredibly genius and crafty source was able to actually acquire just one of the books from this incredibly valuable cache of writ, right from under their noses."

"Cold," Wil exclaimed. (OOC: "Cold" is like saying "Cool" in our world. Inheritantly, many people of Safe-Haven bock at the cold weather, knowing it is a truth of life, they deem it "neatoes" instead of trying to fight it).

"Very cold," Renee agreed. "This book as it turns out was a daily journal kept by a hunter over 800 years ago, but not any mere hunter was he. This scribe was a man in a special patrol unit sanctioned by the Council of Five."

Renee held her captive audience in a dramatic pause.

"A unit that patrolled the Outlands, beyond the Outer-Rim."

"No mate'n way," Jared swore. (OOC: guess what four-letter word mate replaces?)

Giggles went through the group even though most were stunned by this even more shocking news. Temmit frowned visibly at Jared who shrunk behind Leslie.

"Don't be too harsh Temmit she said, catching his glare at Jared, I said the same exact thing," replied Renee to which another response of giggles ensued. "Yes its true my friends, a patrol, disbanded by the government shortly after that journal was made, once patrolled lands that have been told to us are inhabited only by chaos and death. Lands that lead only to a quick suicide should anyone enter."

Renee crouched down, folding her knees so she could sit on the balls of her heels and get closer to eye level with her audience, her beautiful green dress rose up a bit to reveal her ankles. "But we believe the validity of the book, for why would the government keep it behind lock and key if it were mere fancy."

"But how would they survive out there?" River spoke up. "We all know that when the barrier is taken down each season for their conquest of land, the Karh'Thul come through by the dozens upon dozens, sometimes hundreds! Millenguard for instance. If that story is now real, that means the Sword of Truth saved the Kingdom from thousands, plus the (KT) demon Ustag!" (OOC: pronounced OO-STAHG = in the "fable" he was depicted as HUGE, literally).

"How could they survive out there?!" River seemed frustrated for more information he knew he wasn't going to immediate get, and the few who knew River understood why.

"Indeed River." Renee almost whispered. "How indeed".

Renee stood up.

"And that is another task I put to you all. The journal doesn't elude to much outside the normal routine soldier tasks, but we do know that the special patrol which is not named therein had at least an identifiable symbol." And with that, Renee reached in her pocket and unfolded a small piece of parchment. She held each end and displayed it for all in the room to see.

Upon the parchment was the etching of a circle with the familiar spire at its center, but the rest was very unusual. Within the circle was the drawing of an open eye to the right of the Spire, with a full moon and stars in the sky behind, and a closed eye to the left, with the sun and sparse clouds behind.

"I need all of you to look for any sign of this symbol anywhere in the city and beyond. We must find out more on what is behind this mysterious patrol, and more importantly, what they did for the Council of 5."

Dray

...yet even more coming....

(OOC: If any of you want to post a question about the previous subject, in other words, go back in time to do so, post it now, and I will move the Outlands Patrol post (the recent one) down and below any dialogue that is created about the previous subject. Otherwise, feel free to post any questions you have for Renee on this new subject at this time. If there are any questions as to what your character would know about either subject in general, please feel free to take me aside offline, or better yet, ask in the OCD thread. Thanks!)

Wildfire

Shannon paused in her drawing. She cocked her head to the side allowing her hair to hang down covering part of her face. Peering out she asked, "Though it may seem obvious to some I would still like to ask...Renee, what exactly would we, as the Whisper Gang, achieve by having the sword?...if that is what you're suggesting"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Himo

Lucien, who was already intrigued by the mentioning of the sword, leaned forward slightly on his rock and began to think. 'What was so special about the symbol? Its not like anybody would know, and besides, the government would have already confiscated the items the pertain to information about the symbol, or the sword...'. Lucien looks at Shannon as she had finished looking to Renee eagerly awaiting her response to Shannon.

Dray

(OOC: On second thought, I think I wil keep your post where it is WF, conversation is as easily plausible after the announcement of the patrol as it was before).

Renee looked at Shannon and had an answer that more than anyone else in the room, Shannon, would appreciate the most.

"What do we need the sword for? Shannon....the government says it doesn't exist." She stared at her, awaiting the joy of appreciation of her words to sink into Shannon's mind.

Dray

Shannon winked at her, Renee let out a small giggle.

Dray

"On to a new subject and one that breaks my heart," Renee almost whispered, the smile only a hint at the corners of her mouth.

"As you know, I am now 18 and in four-and-a-half months my life will be the property of the military."

This got the expectant boos and calls of blasphemy from most in attendance.

Renee raised her hand for attention.

"I understand and agree with your frustration my friends, but no fear, for my destiny, although pushed by those who would lie to us, is still under my own guidance, I will prevail," she said sternly.

"Just don't die at on a pair of Karh'Thul claws Renee," Will whispered with awkward worry.

With a great look of appreciation and concern for those would worry about her, Renee scanned the room, looking at each face in that mirrored the concern Will had voiced, many were indeed worried for their favorite leaders life, some even now on the verge of tears.

Renee spoke with serious confidence. "I vow to each and every one of you that worry for prosecution from using my talents will not outweigh the privilege to save my life with it. I will not allow their rules to extinguish my flame."

Some of the worried faces gained a slight smile.

Renee smiled, "you all just better break my ass out of prison afterwards."

Everyone laughed hysterically.

Renee let the laughter die down naturally, relieved she could convince them all she was going to be fine. As the last giggle was finishing she continued, "This means we are going to need a new leader to baby-sit you giggle-heads."

"Watch it," River warned with a smile, "we will leave you in prison longer."

More giggles.

"Since there are so many members in attendance this night, we should cast our vote for the next leader this very moment." she said, then turned to look at her two lieutenants, who both gave quick nods of agreement.

"Torches of Truth (OOC: A common title given to each members), I propose to you the following three possibilities as my nominee's to replace me in the Spring."

There was suddenly tension in the room, a third of the members having never been involved in this process as they hadn't been members when Renee had taken over years ago.

"Emmanuelle Keepsake." Renee announced.

Emma took a step forward behind her and nodded again. She didn't seem surprised by the nomination nor humbled bye it, in fact she gave no indication in her stoic face what she thought. Such was the way with Emma, but those who knew her, which this guild did, loved her, for they knew the person was behind the mask of station was a genuine leader of compassion and character.

"Temmit Janalinus'. Renee announced.