- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Temple of the Lost

Started by Blackspear, December 18, 2005, 10:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackspear

As the beat up party enters the Zyrithian Temple, they see a large sanctuary that is enshrouded in dust.   Their booted footsteps echo and reverberate endlessly.  

Looking straight ahead, the party can't help but notice the remains of an altar, formerly devoted to Azyrith.   Above the altar is a large stained glass window, remarkably intact.  

The scene depicted in the stained glass is of Azyrith with his armored boot on the chest of Karthos, the former god of fire, taking his Essence.  The sunlight streaming through the western facing window highlights the silver and maroon bolt of power that is emanating from Karthos and flowing towards Azyrith.   It seems as if the combatants are alive, eternally trapped within the glass, acting out Azyrith's greatest triumph in perpetuity.

Awestruck by the beauty and power of the window, the party can't help but feel the presence of greatness within the temple.   As they stare at the stained glass, they hear the sound of stone sliding on stone.   Soon they notice the altar begin to move to the side.

As the party scrambles for cover, they notice a small human like figure, seemingly rise from the floor where the altar once stood.   As the mysterious figure reaches the top of the staircase, it turns to face the adventurers.   "Long have we awaited your presence, son of Brendan."  The voice is raspy and not much louder than a whisper, but it is distinctly female.   "It has been foretold that you would seek the path through darkness to find the light....

"Come, you and your friends need assistance.   We shall aid you..."

At that moment, the companions notice many more figures surrounding them.  These beings are all of diminutive stature, wearing rags and random pieces of armor, that look to be hundreds of years old.   Many have cloaks with deep cowels, a few wear ancient helmets, others have their faces wrapped in veils, but none of them show their faces.

In a non threatening way, the little people herd the party towards the altar and the woman standing in front of it.

Despite her tiny size, the woman carries herself with the bearing of a great one.   She looks at Quinton and says, "My name is Elsyra.  I am the Great Mother of these people.   What is your name, son of Brendan?"
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Wildfire

Quinton smirked at Flea's display. It was just what these people needed he thought. He was still a bit resentful that their prophecy had foretold of a betrayal from a friend in his company. This display offered up the possibility that they could be wrong about that.

"As you can see," Quinton said, "It most certainly can be."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Blackspear

"That cannot be.   It has been foretold that we would mine the last of the mage stone in the world.   We have done that.   We fulfilled our destiny."   She looks to Elizabeth and Quinton as if she had just been told that she had a third eye that she never known about.

Flea steps forward, rummaging through his pack (of treasures) and produces a fistful of the "pink stuff".    "This is the stone that we discovered.    Aside from a slightly lighter color, its the same stuff."    Taking a small pebble, smaller than the one Elsyra threw, he throws it to the floor.   This time however, the explosion is far greater than when Elsyra threw hers a moment before.  

After the dust settled and the shock of the explosion wore off, its plain to everyone, that Flea actually put a small hole into the stone floor.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Wildfire

Quinton looked to Elizabeth and turned back and said, "My people have found a cache of this 'Mage Stone' in a cave far to the north of here. The properties of this stuff has has filled my people with doubt in it's harvesting. Understandably they don't want to destroy themselves in mining it. So how do  we mine it without bringing our destruction?"

Quinton was reaching desperation. He wanted to blow the Deltharites back across the ocean or destroy them trying. The Mage Stone was an equalizer for his thinning forces. Without it, his campaign for his people's freedom was in danger of ending before it began.
Wildfire

Blackspear

"It is of no consequence, because we have mined the last of it."  Elsyra looks at Quinton with sorrow in her eyes.  "My people have fulfilled their destiny."
Blackspear

Wildfire

Quinton was not at all surprised by the demonstation as he already knew of their danger.

"How might one harvest this without destroying themselves?"
Wildfire

Blackspear

"Very well.   First, you must know that these stones must be handled with care.   They are quite volatile." To demonstrate this, she picks up a pebble sized bit of stone and throws it at the floor.   It explodes in a brilliant flash and makes a sharp, loud bang.   After the pink smoke clears from the room, she smiles and says, "It would be folly to drop the stones.   They could kill you."
Blackspear

Wildfire

Quinton thinks for a moment and replies, "I will not punish my friends for acts that they haven't commited. Your prophecy says that I will be betrayed but it does not tell the manner of the betrayal. If I hold back my trust in them then would I still be fit to be trusted? We all go...everyone of us."
Wildfire

Blackspear

"You will be betrayed.   It has not been written down, because like you, we do not read.    We pass our history and prophecies from verbally from generation to generation.  All of my people know that you will be betrayed.  Just as you are Brendan's son."   Elsyra looks at Quinton with sympathy in her eyes and waits for his decision.
Blackspear

Wildfire

Quinton's eyes widen and he says with surprise, "Betray me! Is this what your prophecy has foretold? I would trust my life with these people! What is the manner of the betrayal? This prophecy of yours...is it written down? I would like to hear it as it is written...if it be so."

Quinton looks back at each one of his companions unaccusingly but with a manner of slight distress.
Wildfire

Blackspear

"The secret is yours to do with as you will.  They may stay if you wish it.   However, you must know that one of your companions will betray you."   Elsyra again fixes Quinton with a penetrating gaze as if she is trying to search his soul.
Blackspear

Wildfire

Quinton raises his eybrow at Flea and says, "Hmmm....that makes sense." Quinton turns back to Elsyra and says, "Giving the secret only to Brendan's decendant...is that also in your prophecy? My friends have been with me through a great deal of toil and hardship. I trust them with my life. Please, I ask that they be allowed to stay."
Wildfire

Blackspear

"Your heart is noble and good.   Don't ever forget yourself."  Elsyra fixes Quinton with a piercing gaze almost as if she is peering straight to his soul.

After a moment, she smiles and says "Let's get started.   First, I must respectfully ask that your compatriots leave the room.   I am sworn to give the secret only to the blood of Brendan."  She points her finger at Flea and says "He can stay."

Flea's eyes flash wide and he smiles a cocky grin.   He very confidently sits down next to Quinton.

The others simply stare with a look of astonishment upon their faces.
Blackspear

Wildfire

Quinton frowns slightly and says, "Shed a tear for those that will also die because of it. In those deaths however, many may be freed as well. Still, I would prefer that it not come to death. It's never an easy road flirting with the evolution of becoming what you hate most. Sometimes you must become a monster to defeat the monster. If I could save the souls of the Deltharites I would. It's with much regret that I will spill their blood for there is a greater power in life. Unfortunately, Delthara has convinced them otherwise."

Quinton straightens his shoulders and says, "Excuse me, for my preaching. I...I'm just regretful to take life. It's sometimes necessary but I don't take pleasure in it. Thank you for the gift that your people have given us. When we succeed in our liberation I promise to you that your city will once again see it's splenor and your people can walk proudly under the open sky."
Wildfire

Blackspear

"This is a great moment in my people's history.   We have been waiting very long for you to come.   Now that time is here.   Once we have completed our lesson, my people must begin a new path.   I shed a tear of joy for our sucsess in protecting the firestone and a tear of sorrow for all of those who died to defend it."
Blackspear