- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Character Development Questions

Started by Johan, January 24, 2008, 01:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

(OOC: Thread was renamed from Eberron Questions (Galore))

So as I consider this new setting, and wonder on the mertis of one class or another, I find that I have many questions, and some of those beget questions that, while not necessarily pertinent to my prospective toon future, beget other questions that are.

hehe

All classes are open, but finger wiggling best be done in private.
What does this mean for a Paladin (or a cleric, for that matter)? Convention would have us believe that these classes need gods, and there's only one of them. Can Paladin / Cleric of Kaine use their VooDoo any time, safe in the light of Our Father? Is that what the Council of 5 is (are)? Clerics and Pallies?

Let's say that I decide that I want to play a ranger-type (or a druid for the matter of this particular question). Are there wild lands that would be my home / playground? Of course, I'm still in school during the day (which I assume is mandatory...are there truant officers?), so how does that work out?

What is the climate of Safe Haven? I know that it's a half mile above sea level, and ringed by some serious mountains. A ringing of mountains tends to have a stabilizing effect on geography. Seattle is thus ringed, and a result is that temperatures stay warm enough for folks to live on small boats year-round (they are roughly at our latitude, and you know how cold it gets here). It seldom snows there, but it's often rainy.

What is the terrain between Safe Haven and the Holy Flame (The Rim? The Outlands? I forget...)?
Do they keep that well-mowed like a PGA Golf course, so as to see any issues coming along?
Are there hunting grounds?
Is there anything that approached game-playing? R&R?
Do we go for swims in that big ol' lake?
Is school a seven-day-a-week activity (do your weeks have seven days?)? How many hours per day (both the day itself and the school day)?
Is "school" along the lines of "Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic" or more like "Swinging, Poking, and Archery"?
Is there a black market for teaching VooDoo?
Exactly how long ago did Kaine decide to sleep in the same spot twice? "Decades" is the only answer that I can recall seeing.
What is local faire like? Fish and meats? There's a farm, at least, and some orchards, I think I read. If we eat meat, where does that come from (the King's forest)?
What are building made from? What is their architecture like (German rustic or Manhatten rusty)?
What's the technology level? I think that Eberron was made for combustion engines and roughly modern day technology; what are you using?

I've got to get back to work, but those queries should seed more questions.

Thanks
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

So as I consider this new setting, and wonder on the mertis of one class or another, I find that I have many questions, and some of those beget questions that, while not necessarily pertinent to my prospective toon future, beget other questions that are.

All classes are open, but finger wiggling best be done in private. What does this mean for a Paladin (or a cleric, for that matter)?

There is nothing in Safe-Haven that akin to the Paladin. There are some noble men and women who are warriors but they have none of the abilities typical to the class.

Clerics in Safe-Haven all worship the one-true God, Kaine the Administrator. He grants no spells to his flock. So again, all of the clerics in Safe-Haven also have no divine abilities. In fact, most NPC clerics are actually skilled in alchemy and can replicate most 1st to 3rd level spells with that ability. This is how the kingdom has survived this long.

Players who wish to play a cleric have tapped into a divine source "outside" the Safe-Haven Kingdom and have not revealed their abilities to anyone that they can't implicitly trust. Since divine magic would likely be considered some foul trick of the Karh'thul (the demon race outside the Kingdom).

Convention would have us believe that these classes need gods, and there's only one of them. Can Paladin / Cleric of Kaine use their VooDoo any time, safe in the light of Our Father?

Nope. See above. In almost all situations the religious government would see it as a crime. Consider this government a lawful-neutral society that has gone overboard in its zealotry.

Is that what the Council of 5 is (are)? Clerics and Pallies?

One of the council of Five is always the High Priest of Kaine. When he is ready to step down or if he dies he is always replaced by another High Priest. The other 4 members are just popular, powerful or influential (or all three) citizens in Safe-Haven. They select their own successors as well, but they can be from any walk in life. Consider this Council the leaders of the military, with religious fanaticism fueling their beliefs.

There is also a council of guilds and selectmen who actually run the kingdom to keep it going. Each one of them has earned their prestige in their respective guilds or (in the case of Selectmen) their villages or towns. They are elected every three years.

Let's say that I decide that I want to play a ranger-type (or a druid for the matter of this particular question). Are there wild lands that would be my home / playground?

Well, you couldn't have been more correct when you said Maine, cuz that not only represents a good idea for land mass, but for the temperate zone Safe-Haven resides in as well. There are plenty of woodlands to hunt in. And there are in fact dangerous beasts that walk the land. So running into an owlbear is possible. Note however, there is not other sentient life (better than animal intelligence) in Safe-Haven.

Of course, I'm still in school during the day (which I assume is mandatory...are there truant officers?), so how does that work out?

Students have from Mid-spring to Late-Autumn for "Summer Vacation". This is primarily to help the parents out in the farmlands, but some of you vagrants probably use this time to cause trouble.

Truant officers they have, and they are good at what they do. Punishment for not attending class, when a student is perfectly able, is severe (as in jail time).

What is the climate of Safe Haven? I know that it's a half mile above sea level, and ringed by some serious mountains. A ringing of mountains tends to have a stabilizing effect on geography. Seattle is thus ringed, and a result is that temperatures stay warm enough for folks to live on small boats year-round (they are roughly at our latitude, and you know how cold it gets here). It seldom snows there, but it's often rainy.

Like Maine as mentioned, but less snow as you intimated.

What is the terrain between Safe Haven and the Holy Flame (The Rim? The Outlands? I forget...)?

A valley that is 300 miles in diameter (crater perhaps?) surrounding a high mountain range. The Rim is 50 miles away from the obvious and abrupt edge of these jagged mountains (in other words, no foothills). There is a geography post online. Let me add that most of the valley is covered in pine forest.

Do they keep that well-mowed like a PGA Golf course, so as to see any issues coming along?

Nope, only near the rim, where the PGA course is a mile between the RIM and ANYTHING else.

Are there hunting grounds?

Yup, if you ain't near a house in the kingdom, U can shoot your arrow, bolt or bullet.

Is there anything that approached game-playing? R&R?

School is not all work and no play. Despite the governments thumb on everyone's beliefs, the school is a fantastically satisfying place to be.

Let me think more on the R&R as I am almost at work.

Do we go for swims in that big ol' lake?

Chah Dude! Favorite past time of just about everyone is to swim in that clear cool water during the Summer months.

Is school a seven-day-a-week activity (do your weeks have seven days?)? How many hours per day (both the day itself and the school day)?

School is 6 days a week out of  7, but only 8 hours a day. During that time a student is not always at a desk with bleary red eyes and a quill. The school focuses on every part of life and every trade skill that keeps the kingdom running. It heavily focus on the art of war however, since all citizens above 18 can be called forth at anytime if any part of the RIM is invaded by the Karh'thul. (which happens on occasion).

Is "school" along the lines of "Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic" or more like "Swinging, Poking, and Archery"?

As above and all of the above, and in the later years, around age 15, the students can choose a specific field of study to focus on. Whether it be warfare, forest husbandry, cobbling, cooking, chemisty (and therefore the clergy) or whatever have you.

Is there a black market for teaching VooDoo?

There is rumored to be. But this is a rumor/hope specifically known to your gang of misfits and not generally held by the populace at large.

Exactly how long ago did Kaine decide to sleep in the same spot twice? "Decades" is the only answer that I can recall seeing.

There is of course some outlandish facts weaved in the story of legend. The hodgepodge of confusing details shown on the website is more than likely a subject of debate for young minds while they share a fire in the common room of their dorm.

What is local faire like? Fish and meats? There's a farm, at least, and some orchards, I think I read. If we eat meat, where does that come from (the King's forest)?

This is hinted at by the listings in the districts on the website. Answer is yes. Fish, meat, fruits and vegetables, all the common fair is grown throughout the summer and preserved and stored for the long winter months. There are farms throughout the kingdom.

What are building made from? What is their architecture like (German rustic or Manhatten rusty)?

Buildings are made from pine and stone. There are quarries and mills. Architecture? See the movie The Village, but then add many grander buildings, stone projects that take in some cases decades to complete. I will give more on this as I can get it.

What's the technology level? I think that Eberron was made for combustion engines and roughly modern day technology; what are you using?

Eberron is made of "magic technology", elemental energy provides the equivalency of a combustion engine society. Safe-Haven is not as advanced, but does have some technology based on magic-infused chemistry.

Griznuq

Does the last line here still stand? Some magic-infused chemestry ?
=]V[=

Dray

oh, but that was a good catch.

No, it is not in err.

The chemistry in Safe-Haven is magic-induced, and the Whisper Gang wants to know how.

Johan

There's so much friggin' information, I can't find all of it!

I recall having a conversation about who was proficient with what...where does that stand? Can you refresh my memory?

You had mentioned that regardless of class, everyone was proficient with Long Swords, for instance. As well as some particular type of armor...which one?

Also, what gear is provided for us as opposed to that which we have to purchase?
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank