- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

A Humbled Thanks ( Completed )

Started by Wildfire, January 12, 2008, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

A Humbled Thanks

Maragarn traveled north with the rest of the unlikely crew of companions. He had remained quiet trying his best not to call attention to himself. When spoken to, he would answer with his eyes lowered to the ground and with a short concise reply. It wasn't that he felt lesser than them but assumed that the others thought he was. It was what he was brought up to believe. He came to see that it wasn't his skill with shadows that was the "curse" but that rather, it was shackles of how others saw him that was.

Still, he owed the Centaurs a great deal of gratitude for giving him the Ironbark sapling so that he might save his grandsire. Since it was his grandsire that brought the wrath of the gods upon his once tribe of elves, it was a gesture of particular note. Such a fact need not be spoken of to the company that Maragarn kept. The unfortunate part in this is that Maragarn's tribe probably wanted his grandsire to die if only to be rid of the reminder of the glory they once held.

Maragarn walked slightly apart from the others as he had always been instructed to when in the presence of those from beyond the tribe. However, owing a debt of acknowledgement to the Centaurs, he approached Eswarth cautiously.

He walked behind and to the side of Eswarth and glanced quickly up as he spoke. "I beg your gracious pardon honored Eswarth of the Ancient Race" he said in voice barely above a mumble.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

Assuming that this takes place after the end of last session (session 2)...

Eswarth was greatly irritated with himself. He was a Protector; Corellon Larethian had deemed him so. His performance in this combat was embarrasing to say the least. He was thus lost in his thoughts when he heard something out of the periphery of his hearing.

He glanced back over his flank to see the small satyr looking up at him with dark eyes. "I'm sorry, little one." He apologized. "I'm afraid that I wasn't listening well. What did you say?" He slowed his gait to better accomodate the somewhat awkward step of his companion.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Maragarn, slightly embarresed, said, "I beg your pardon Great one of the Ancient race. I wanted to thank your kindred on behalf of my family and myself...fo...for the Ironbark sapling. I know how rare they must be and to bestow such a regal gift to my people is...uh..." Maragarn stammered. Maragarn felt awkward in these types of situations. Though well spoken and learned words did not come to him easily on this matter. "Well, it is generous...especially to my...kin".

Maragarn felt as though he probably should have stayed quiet...he suddenly saw himself as foolish for tripping over his words and looked to the ground.
Wildfire

Johan

Great one?!? Eswarth smiled down at his little companion. "We are pleased to be able to help, although in truth it is Su'Tharc who rendered this aid unto you. Su'Tharc, and Our Lady of the Forest, that is."

"Can you tell me why it might be that you feel that your kin are uniquely undeserved of aid?" Eswarth was well aware of the history that belonged to all Satyrs, but he had never had the opportunity to talk to any of them about it, and this presented opportunity was just too inviting for him to ignore.

Dray

/* Camera changes to Fir'Ath */

Fir'Ath was almost lost in his thoughts after dwelling on one for very long. After the goblins, he almost succumbed to the beasts rage within. Thank the Owls he had not.

One thought did make its way to the surface though...

'That Centuar sure sucked in battle.'

/*Camera changes back to Eswarth and Maragarn */

Wildfire

The question hit Maragarn like a hammer. He hadn't expected it. Though Su'Tharc had treated Maragarn with respect, he hadn't exactly felt welcome in the Centaur city. Maragarn was still trying to sort out if was the Centaurs or himself that made him feel this way.

However, the Centaur asked a question and Maragarn felt he must answer it. "Well, Great One..." Maragarn again looked to the ground, "...we brought...shame to our people. We do not deserve to be aided. Surely we do want to survive but until we can fully atone for our past...then we will not be deserving of a future. It is only by the gentle mercy of Ehlonna that we are even able to find any sort of peace"

Maragarn recited a piece of the sermons that he had heard since he was born. He thought it best in this situation to adopt the humbled attitude of his tribe. It was an attitude that Maragarn hated because it was what he was taught rather than what he had come to personally believe. What he believed was far different than that of his tribe.

He found it odd that it was his Grandsire that helped him find his thoughts. He also came to suddenly realize that it was also his Grandsire, the very one blamed for centuries of bloodshed, that, through his own wisdom, had found the peace that his tribe sought and that he still had much to learn from him.
Wildfire

Johan

Eswarth listened with interest to Maragarn. "Aye, it's true that your kindred did a shameful thing, though no one truly sees the path of wisdom at all times." Eswarth was half musing to himself as he trod along. "But it seems to me that Our Lady of the Forest (and her gentle mercy, as you say), has given you a modicum of forgiving with at least an opportunity for redemption. How can we do anything less than that?"

It seemed reasonable to Eswarth.

"Many scholars are of the mind that you can not truly be forgiven for your trespasses until you have forgiven youself. Start there, young one. Forgiveness carries an energy that will afford  you the ability to set about correcting the errors of the past. Start there."

Eswarth liked the sound of that philosophy, but realized that he had forgotten the original issue. "And as for outside aid. Fair Elhonna has rendered you aid; it would be a slap in her face were we to do any less. That is my feeling at any rate.

Wildfire

Maragarn reluctantly looked up to the Centaur and regarded his words. At first he felt belittled because advice was given when none was asked for. He did see the wisdom in it though. It was what his Grandsire had been trying to say for many years. Suddenly he felt sorry for his tribe in that many, if not most, were blind to the mercy that Ehlonna had shown them. They were too steeped in the glory of the past to carry on and embrace the future. He wondered if they would ever find the peace they sought.

Maragarn struggled with the thought of leaving his tribe. If he stayed with them he would always live with the continuous judgment by the tribe. But the thought of not being with them was alien to him...alien and unknown. Perhaps if he struck out on his own he might find a place free of  prenotions and scorn. Maybe, just maybe, the Centaurs themselves could offer that. He had to be sure.

"Great One, though it is true my people have committed blasphemous rituals in their past it was not I that committed them. I wasn't even born. To that I find myself guiltless. Please, tell me...how does your honored and ancient race view such individuals such as myself?" Maragarn chose his words carefully. He used the proper speak...elven...to ask his question. Eswarth could hear the dialect difference in his accent. It sounded a touch more "common" but could hear that Maragarn was trying his best to be as respectful as possible.
Wildfire

Johan

Eswarth glanced down once again at his new companion. "Well," he began carefully, "I'm not really clear on what you mean by 'such as yourself', but suffice to say that Centaurs, like all non-divine creatures, are as varied in sorts as the trees themselves. We do not truly share a mind, and you're as like to find the open-minded as the closed. I think that elves are similar, as would be dwarves, humans, and raptorans." He indicated his various other travelling companions as he spoke.

"Harumph...I don't think that I've answered you well, eh? But I think that your earlier comment is one that you should cling to; one that I agree with in point and sentiment. The violations of your forebears oughtn't be yours to carry forward. But still there are those who look to blame others for all the world's ails, never once looking into their own hearts...at their own guilt. Or innocence."

He let the thought hang in the forest afternoon, hoping that he had spoken to the heart of the question. Maragarn's next question - if there was one - would bear testament to that.

Wildfire

Maragarn cocked his head slightly and he rolled his fingers around his curled horn feeling the pointed tip. He glanced down at his cloven hoofs and brown, wooly legs. He truly felt no shame in being what he was. Eswarth's words offered him comfort that perhaps one day his tribe would be seen as people to be respected and not shunned...mostly by themselves. Maybe, just maybe, they weren't as vilified on the outside as he had been taught they were.

Still, Maragarn thought it best to be cautious until he had more proof...especially with his dark gift.

Looking up at the majestic figure he said, "Thank you Great One...truly my kin could learn much from yours."

Maragarn hoisted and readjusted his travel pack and stepped away, slightly apart from the rest of the troupe.
Wildfire

Wildfire

Unless there is anything left that to add...

End of Thread
Wildfire