- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

07.25.2127 - A Boy of the Cloth

Started by Dray, November 25, 2008, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Ok, ball is still in your court sonny!

Griznuq

Harrison's mind was blank, and he struggled to fill it. "well, I guess, but I... What... who is she? Why would she talk to me? What do I say??"

Harrison tried to make more questions, but he was tripping over his own thoughts. He really didn't understand any of this. Why would a priest be in charge of entertainment?

Harrison's ten-year-old mind was getting in his way. Adults were so strange sometimes. Things were always so complicated, and no one ever really said what they meant, or even meant what they said. It was so aggrivating to him. All he wanted to do was find some little piece of information, and he felt like he was jumping through fiery hoops for it. Was everyone trying to hide something?

Harrison's words failed him completely, and he stopped bothering to try. He was so frustrated to be holding something he knew was important and not understanding why. He was angry that Emma was telling people he didn't know about things he'd shared with her in confidence. He was angry that he had to resort to sneaking and trickery just to do something as simple as change studies. This city seemed so big and unfriendly. Harrison was overwhealmed.

He felt his throat tighten, and his eyes well up. He took a deep breath and said weakly, "Yes please, take me to her." The fact was, he had nothing left to lose. Michael seemed to understand why the fact that she and his father had a history, and it didn't seem like something a lot of people knew. Maybe she knew why too. Maybe if she thought Harrison understood, she'd cooperate.

"Thank you, Michael." Harrison decided he'd trust Michael. Emma clearly did. If he was going to figure things out, Harrison was going to have to make some blind leaps of faith, and hope that not everyone was so rotten. There had to be more Montey's out there.
=]V[=

Dray

As they walked the few blocks, Michael put his arm around the younger kid in a show of compassion. It felt (to Harrison) that this kid was a natural at dealing with others in need, despite his awkward looks.

"Listen Harrison," he whispered as they approached some non-descript porch of what appeared to be a house in the crowded District, "if I can impose on your privacy for just a little bit longer, I may be of assistance in talking to Lorainna?"

Griznuq

=]V[=

Griznuq

Harrison wondered what it was that Michael had to say, that took him 2 years to articulate. He bet whatever it was, it'd be good.
=]V[=

Dray

To reply to this post, it will also take a hard look at my notes. Re-reading it though sent chills up my spine. I had forgotten how interwoven all my story lines were/are for this campaign. Harrison's story is one of my favorites in this campaign and I can't wait to dive back in (if your willing).

hmph, interesting, I can't open the color dialog button...

I can type in  the code though!

Dray

"Alright then," Michael offered and then he knocked on the door. It was quiet on the other side for a moment and then there was a bit of a crashing sound and what sounded like bottles scattering on a floor.

Michael raised his eyebrows and said "Oh my."

"One blasted moment," said a woman in a laughing, low-voice beyond the floor. It sounded like she was struggling to make it to the entrance, as if there was clutter in her path in getting to it. The door opened and a heavy-set woman with ragged black hair and flushed cheeks stuck her head out.

"Lorainna doesn't see anyone until past the 6th hand and..." she began in a hurry that was interrupted by Michael's sudden flash of two gold coins that appeared from nowhere and into his hand.

"We would like to see her now please," Michael asked.

The woman finished her egress through the door. The silk cloths about her large body were matted to her skin in some places and disheveled in the others. The smell of booze which followed to her exited the old house and engulfed the two boys. She looked the boys up and down.

"She may take you on but there is no way she is laying a knapsack for the kidster," the woman said plainly.

"That's not what we are here for, I just need some information," Michael said confidently and then handed her the gold coins. "Those two gold pieces are to wake her up, she gives me the information I seek and there is a lot more to be had."

Both Harrison and Deidra were incredulous, it was a lot of coin.
The woman let out a hearty laugh and not an all too unfriendly one Harrison thought.

"I like your style kid!" she said then opened the door fully for the two of them. "Go on in young Masters, take the door to the common room to your right and I will go get her."

They entered a very narrow hallway. There was a rickety old door to the left that was half open, or rather, half attached to its hinges. The kitchen beyond looked to have a stairwell that lead upward from it. The door to the right was open in towards what promised to be the common room beyond. A room at the end of the hallway had a young girls head poking through it. Her brown hair and green eyes was the only things Harrison noticed before she disappeared behind the quickly closed door.

Michael and Harrison took the immediate right and faced a very messy common room. Its meager furnishings included a worn couch, its cloth upholstery ripped in many places, a rickety old rocking chair, and a beaten up bureau. Scattered about on the floor at the end of the couch were empty bottles of wine. The floor near the door was barely visible under the clutter that looked like all manner of female belongings. Clothes, combs, silks, female accessories (ACK!), and other such items were everywhere. The two boys would have sat down but felt uncomfortable to do so.

The heavy woman disappeared in the kitchen and up the stairwell beyond.

Griznuq

I changed the way posting looks, enabling the WYSIWYG ("What You See Is What You Get") type of form, so you can now change the color of text. Let me know if you like it better or worse, or... whatever. I have a post on E107s website to see if they can tell me how to fix it so we don't HAVE to use it. That said, there ARE some decent options within it. Anyway...

Harrison was feeling a little better about himself by the time they'd gotten to the front door. Now? He wasn't sure of anything anymore. This had to be the most disgusting feeling place he'd ever been in. 

He began feeling the familiar pangs of depression setting in. He frequently felt so bewildered, and so misguided that he almost didn't want to bother to continue. There just seemed like so much to do, so much to learn, that he wondered if it'd all be worth it in the end. 

He felt like that a lot lately, especially today. Right now, he just wanted to go to bed. 

"So what's the plan?" he asked, trying to sound interested.

=]V[=

Dray

Michael leaned in and whispered to Harrison. "As I said, Lorainna was the liason between your father and the sackers (hookers). I am hoping to find out from her [i][b]why[/b][/i] Jonah was transferred to SouthHaven. It seems to me that a transfer from Shantytown to a shrine in SouthHaven is a demotion for a crime boss."

Michael thought for a moment to allow his train of thought to finish.

"So why the demotion? What did he do?" he continued. "And perhaps in that lies the leverage you need to hold over Jonah's head until your transfer papers are signed."

"But to be honest with you Harrison? This is your life, I don't mind asking questions of this woman but if you need to ask anything at all, you just pipe right in okay?" Michael finished.

Griznuq

"Crime boss," Harrison repeated aloud. Again, he sighed at the seemingly insurmountable mountain of odds that were against him. With a curt shake of his head and a roll of his eyes, he decided it didn't really matter. If he lost, he'd die, end of story. If he won... well, then he'd win.

He wished this lady would hurry, the place was giving him the willies!
=]V[=

Dray

After a few turns the boys quickly realized that Lorainne wasn't going to be down immediately. They couldn't hear anything at and wondered 'where the cold' this woman's room actually was.

Michael finally broke the silence by talking to Harrison. "So I hear you just got to the orphanage only three months ago? Sorry to hear about your Mom Harrison, I truly am."

Griznuq

Harrison scowled. Was there anything this kid hadn't heard?

"Yeah," he said dryly. "Sorry you had to go through that."
=]V[=

Dray

"Okay, judging by this file and by your mission here, your father has decided he can't care for you," Michael returned. He had said it gently, Harrison noted that he wasn't trying be mean, but just understand his predicament.

"Your mother managed a farm down in SouthHaven right? A really successful one was it not?"

Griznuq

Harrison frowned. What'd he know about what makes a farm "successful"? 

"I don't know," he said with a shrug. My father wasn't there very often, and what farming could a five year old and his mother take care of alone? Perhaps before he left, it may have been."

"Mother seemed to have a bit of a green thumb," he added, hinting at her gift. Harrison wonder just how much Michael did know. 

OOC: I don't recall if Harrison talked to Emma about his mother performing magic. I *think* he did not... did he?

=]V[=

Dray

"I just ask because, well, to successfully work a farm one needs to be familiar with the lay of the land right?" Michael asked.

"Sure, I suppose." Harrison replied.

"And SouthHaven being near the border, has a substantial wild dog and wolf problem?"

[color=#00ff00]OOC: Harrison has never mentioned his mother's magic use to anyone.[/color]
[color=#00ff00]OOC: I not sure I like the new format, I can't seem to space my sentences.[/color]