- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Seeking Solace

Started by Wildfire, July 25, 2006, 01:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

On the way to Ashe's house Laren got lost in his own thoughts. He reviewed all the events of the past weeks trying to digest the gigantic meal he had been served. It was nearly overwhelming. The only way out was through.

Much to his surprise he found himself at the door. Above his head the sign that read "Ashe's Herbs" was creaking slightly in the mountain breeze. The lantern lights escaping the windows were fairly dim and Laren could see Ashe through the distorted glass panes.

He seemed to be washing the blood from the cloth used in healing Kit. Laren could see that many of the cloths were hanging by the fire and the room was in disarray. Laren noticed that Ashe was analyzing the backs of his hands.

Kit was lying face down on the bed in complete upheaval. The blister had swelled even more since he had last seen it and had even started to split a little. Kit's face was in constant contortion trying to deal with the pain of it all.

The early morning birds began to sing their sweet melodies and for a split second Laren actually felt at ease.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Wildfire

Ashe could see that Laren was intent on getting answers. He wasn't going to leave unless he was reasonably satisfied. "I don't know the answer to that Laren. I can only guess." Ashe talked as he thought of possibilites of the outcome. "That crystal contains a great deal of power all driven by greed. Destroying it could either destroy the greed or release it into the world. I can only hope that my little brother will see his way to destroying what nearly consumed him. Will it destroy what's around it? Perhaps. But that's no less than what will happen if it falls into the wrong hands."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren continued to wait for a reply as he climbed up onto a stool. He swung his legs a little to pass the time.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Ashe said nothing but simply smirked and raised an eyebrow at the mirth and optimism of the Halflings question.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren nodded. "Of course, I understand the uncertainties." Laren shrugged. "Well, anyway what's the worst that could happen?"
=]V[=

Wildfire

"A chance? Yes." Ashe said knowing it would offer some, if any, relief to Laren. He followed with "A promise?....No. I would like to give you more than that, believe me, but I can't. Instead of seeing your dreams as a curse though, try embracing it as a gift. They may one day save your life."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren noted an ominous tone in Ashe's voice.

"So, you mean..." Laren started. His eyes went from Kit to Ashe. "There's a chance we'll..." The thought of finishing the sentence brought a lump to his throat. He forced the lump away and continuted.

"...a chance we'll .. be... Rid of this damned curse?" His eyes lit up at the thought! Ashe's reaction to that thought was not exactly what Laren had expected.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Ashe looked at Laren and sighed. He then answered, "I wish I knew..."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren sighed. "Why is nothing ever just easy. Why isn't anything like, 'just throw it in the fire' or 'just crush it beneath your boot'?" He shook his head looking at the floor.

As he gaze raised again, it stopped on Kit. "Ashe... What happens to those of us connected to this thing?"
=]V[=

Wildfire

Ashe stopped babbling in his bizarre speech and looked at Laren with tears welling up in his searching eyes. "I'm loathe to the solution. Part of why I didn't destroy it before."

Laren could see that Ashe was in mental anguish.

Ashe stared squarely at Laren with forceful look. He tooka deep breath seeming to find his resolve. "The Eye was kept in Kulryk Wood to the north under the boughs of the Vallenwood in the center..the resting place of my brother. In order to release the spirit in the crystal it must be returned to him. The Eye must be put into the heart of the great tree. The tree will die...but so will the crystal."
Wildfire

Griznuq

That wasn't quite the reaction that Laren had expected, though it was the one for which he was hoping.

"How do we do that?" he asked, not sure that he wanted to hear the answer.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Ashe stared into the fire for a few minutes in dead silence. He seemed to not even breath. He removed his tea bob from his mug and took a sip. "MMM...this is so very good."

He continued to stare into the flames, lost in old and tired memories. His silence seemed to be deafening to Laren's anxious ears. An occasional pop from the fire was the only noise that broke the tense absolutism.

With a sigh Ashe said, "All that time it was kept safe...away from the world. It was more than just a thing to me. I wanted the crystal to remain after my brother had gone so that a piece of him, however twisted, remained. Ultimately, it was my greed that caused the recent pain...not my dear brothers."

Ashe stood up and paced in front of the hearth. "It's time for me to let go, Laren. The Eye of Portence must be destroyed." Ashe's hands began to shake and twitch. He closed his eyes and spoke in what was babbles to Laren's ears.
Wildfire

Griznuq

"The eye..." he repeated. "Yeah, about that thing... Would... Destroying it be a good idea?"

Laren watched Ashe intently waiting for the answer.
=]V[=

Wildfire

[color=green:896e2b955c]OOPS! Nope...you're not wrong.

Well, in light of that I would invite Maccabeus and Wolf to join the thread. If you care to make any edits to reflect this I would say to go ahead. Sorry for the oversight.[/color]
Wildfire

Wildfire

"How's she doing...". Ashe repeated the words. They hung in the air with great weight. "For what she's gone through she's doing remarkably well. As for what's to come...who knows. The Eye really got into her head. I suspect it hasn't left yet either."

Ashe pulled two ceramic mugs from atop the mantle of the hearth and filled them with steaming water. He dunked the two tea boxes into the water and handed one to Laren.

"Watch it...it's hot. Let that sit for a little bit so it can steep."

The tea had both an earthy and fruity aroma. It was an odd sort of mild scent that Laren had almost forgotten. Ashe sensed that Laren was here for more than tea but figured that the Halfling's conversation would soon reveal it. Sometimes it was best to let things happen on there own. A lesson he was sharply reminded of this night.
Wildfire