- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

The Ring within the Brambles

Started by Wildfire, September 19, 2005, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

Ashe looks to Maccabeus and Dale and says, "Why not?". He sits down on the soft grass and unlaces his boots. Standing up barefoot he wiggles his toes allowing them to root into the grass. "Ah, that's much better. Great idea Maccabeus."

Overhead Kossuth gave a keen warmth to the faces of the three. Dale had already begun to dry off. For him the heat was best to pull the chill from his bones.

The allure to follow the path was more than Ashe could stand. Staring down the path he says, "Let's not wait any more! I have to see it!"

The three of them walked down the path taking in the scenery around them. The path banked and turned left, then right, then left again. The walls of thorns on either side were filled with the colorful flowers and released a scent that was calming and quiet. The walls reaced up as tall as five men head to feet. The grass underfoot was soft and lush and was kind to the heels and toes.

After turning the last left, the path opened up to large glen. In front of the eager explorers was a sight of particular grandeur. Two standing stone rings one inside the other. In the middle was an intricately carved obelisk. On each side of the outer ring was another standing obelisk. They were shorter than the one in the middle but still reached high toward the open sky. At the point of where the outer stones stood was a break in the circles creating an opening to the center stone. In this glen the trumpetblooms were larger than normal and had colors even more vibrant than the ones in the opening walk.

Dale was awe-struck at what this place looked like now as compared to what he remembered. Maccabeus was glad the the glen was still in good grace. Ashe had to think to breathe since he had lost his breath.

The air was enriching and the sound of peaceful bubbling water could be heard in the distance. "In all of my most fantstic imaginings I never could have thought of this." Ashe spoke in his language, "Great Nyx and it's children, it is our honor to view your blessing. It is out honor to be of you."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Blackspear

Dale takes in the wondrous beauty of the trumpetblooms and smiles.   His work yesterday helped to create something profoundly beautiful.   A sense of satisfaction grows within him.   Something far more profound than anything he's ever known.   For the first time in his life, he starts to believe that good can flourish in the world.   Until now, everything good in his life has been snuffed out by greed and evil.   He is simply awestruck by the power of Mahiya.  
Without much thought, he follows Maccabeus' example and removes his boots.   He tells himself that he wants his boots to dry, but he knows that he, like Maccabeus, does not want to harm the beauty of this sanctuary.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Johan

Poor bastard'll likely break down entirely by the time we get to the Ring itself. Maccabeus mused to himself. Still, he's either genuine or a magnificent actor.

"If you don't mind a moment, I'd like to remove my boots." Maccabeus requested, not really awaiting any response from either Dale nor Ashe as he plunked himself on the rich grassy carpet. He tied his boots together and slung them over his shoulder befor proceeding.

Maccabeus entered the winding pathway, now not really sure what to expect. Would this via mirror the other one? Would the path take them to where the four shrines were and then on to the Ring? He led his companions into the bramble, he as blind as they.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

The brambles cleared revealing a winding pathway walled with Trumpetblooms and blanketed with grass. Ashe's eyes went as big as Grumbar and his mouth was agap. With a choked voice Ashe sniffed, "In all my years I nev...never thought I'd see something so magnificent as to rival the Valley. But here I...here I stand...shedding tears because now I have. What a gift this is...lead on Maccabeus."
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus walked into the bramble, trusting his botanical friend to accomodate him. "I regret not having come sooner." He apologized. "My ignorance was your peril."

Wildfire

"Then it may pass. The sun feels good my friend. The sickness was so cold."
Wildfire

Johan

"That one's name is Dale - he was here with me yesterday upon my first visitation. He helped us to expel the vile ones."

Wildfire

The brambles creak and rustle, "Glad that you have returned. You may pass this way to avoid confrontation. We sense the presence of the one you call Ashe...he is familiar to us. The other presence feels like it should be known but is not. Who is the other?"
Wildfire

Johan

"Hello, neighbor." Maccabeus greeted the trilling warbler. He then turned cheefully to his companions and said, "This is the place." He inhaled the essence of the trumpetblooms euphorically. "Better than honeysuckle." He quipped.

Maccabeus all but buried his sharp-featured face into the bramble, and began making hissing and clicking sounds.

"Hello, Guardian of the Ring." He said to the bramble. "I have returned, and with me I bring one of those who helped us against the agents of Zyxu, and another who claims to be called Ashe Pryessant...servant and guardian of Nyx whom I call Mahiya - you may know him better than I. I would like to be able to enter and exit your expanse from this side, if I may; I fear the two-leggeds of the fields will fear me and my friend Wolf and I wish to not cause hardship upon them. Can we please enter the Ring from here?"

Wildfire

The three of them traveled north for just a little distance and and then the brush got very thick. True to form Ashe walked through them with out so much as snare to his cloak or a branch in his face. Maccabeus and Dale were not quite as nimble. Ashe being mindful of the other two slowed down and waited for them to clumsily pull through the forest.

The three of them soon came to a massive wall of thorns. The flowers on the thorns were of a deep red fadding to purple at the bell. Ashe's gasps, "Trumpetblooms! I've never seen so many! It's a whole wall of them!"

Birds flitted amongst the brambles. One bird came to rest on maccabeuses shoulder and began to tweet and sing.
Wildfire

Blackspear

"Well, I got my bath, whether I needed it or not!"  Dale tries really hard, not to let the jokes at his expense get to him.   How was he supposed to know that Ashe was going to make a bridge out of thin air?  
Besides, I am nothing if not bold.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Wildfire

Ashe busts out in a fit of laughter, "That water must've been awfully cold! It comes from the mountain snow as it melts in Sythus. That was a bold move Dale...a bold move indeed. Boy I needed a good laugh! Thanks for the entertainment Dale. Come now...the Ring awaits."

The three continued their forest walk to the north to locate a back entrance to the Ring of Mists.
Wildfire

Johan

Quote from: wildfire...they like you...".

"What's to not like?" Maccabeus agreed.

He hung his head and snickered as the trees began to intertwine thier branches, making a bridgeway across the river. Maccabeus's preceptor had shown him similar works back in the Dale; this demonstration - and Ashe's similarities to Shankharia (both in ability and temperment) -aleviated many of the little gnome's anxiety regarding Ashe's intentions and liaisons

He climbed upon the living bridgeway and scampered across easily. It was surprisingly sturdy; he took care not to tread too harshly lest he damage his immobile brothers.

Alighting upon the opposite shore, he looked impishly at Dale and asked, "Catch anything? I'm starving!"

Wildfire

While Dale is crossing, and much of the way swimming, across the river Ashe taps Maccabeus on the shoulder and says, "Watch this...what I'm about to do will make you laugh...and probably infuriate Dale."

Ashe makes a few subtle gestures and speaks words that to Maccabeus sound familiar, but not exactly. The bushes begin to writhe and twist, nearby trees on the river banks begin to bend and creak towards the water. Maccabeus is reminded of the thornbrambles at the Ring in the way that they were hostile and friendly. Some of the branches gently wrap around Ashe and Maccabeus. Ashe says soothingly, "Do not fear them...they like you...". Dale on the opposite bank dripping soaking wet sees that the vegetation is moving and dancing around him. Quickly the trees and bushes on both sides knot together and start to span the river and eventually meet in the middle.

"Well," Ashe says laughing, "Let's cross!"
Wildfire

Blackspear

"While I appreciate the beauty of this forest, I must admit that I would greatly appreciate a good road right now.   This mud might not ever come off of my boots!   Besides, I kind of lke chatting with the farmers at Coryndar Fields.   Thurgin is a great guy."
Dale wonders to himself as he gets his boot stuck in the swampy muck, "How the heck did I get into this?  What's wrong with a good road anyway?   Is there something wrong with taking the direct route?"  He abruptly snaps out of his muttering as a low hanging pine branch seemingly jumps out of the forest and rakes Dale accross the forehead.
"Oww!"
As they get to the crossing spot on the fogveil, Dale looks at the river and realizes it is much to wide to jump across and there's nothing for it, but to get his feet wet.  As he wades across, he feels the water come in over the top of his boots and his companions hear him grumble, "What's wrong with a nice bridge?"
Blackspear