- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Merriment at the Thornhedge

Started by Blackspear, September 01, 2005, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackspear

Dale made his way back to the Thornhedge, passing many people along the way.   Most of them giving Dale a sidelong glance at his sooty appearance.   Dale meanwhile politely nods to the passersby.   As he gets closer to the inn, he notices the crowd starting to thicken and he can smell the aromas of fresh boar being roasted.   His stomach starts to growl.   Soon his nose is picking up the comforting scent of roasted potatoes.  As if driven by his stomach, Dale begins to pick up his pace.   He quickly passes by a small crowd gathering around a street performer, doing his best to juggle three balls while balancing a mug of stout on his forehead and twirling a colorful ribboned ring around on his foot.   The crowd gently chides him as he adds a fourth ball to the mix, but loses control of them.    Undaunted, he takes a long swill from the mug, places it back on his forehead and begins anew....

Dale sees Ragnar as he enters the inn and he waves hello as he passes him by, "Can't wait to soak in that tub.  I feel like this grime is oozing off of me."    Dale quickly heads upstairs and strips as quickly as he can, leaving his soot covered clothes in a pile on the floor.  

After soaking in the hot bath and scrubbing the grime from his weary body, Dale dresses himself in his old set of travelers clothes.  His brand new shirt and pantaloons were horrifically soiled.   Regretting the costly error, (His mother always told him to change out of his best clothes when he was goin outside.) he appreciates the comfort of the worn pants.   Despite the patches and frayed cuffs, these garments helped him to relax and begin to appreciate the simple pleasure of a job well done.

Descending the stairs into the common room Dale looks for the familiar faces of Thurgin and his farming companions and notices them sitting quietly in a corner.   Dale smiles to himself and strides to the bar.   "What can I do fer ya" asks the barkeep?  
"I'd like six of your finest ales, a mug of cider, a plate of that pork with some of those potatoes and that pie over there."
"Hungry, huh?"
"Well I intend to share the drinks and pie with my friends over there in the corner."
"Oh, very good.  Well, since you're a new member of the protectorate, the meal is already taken care of, but the pie and the drinks will cost you 12 silvers."
Dale smiles and hands the appropriate coins to the keep and says "I'll be over at that table when the dinner is ready.   Thanks for your help!"
Dale takes the drinks and carries them to Thurgin's table and heartily greets them.   "Its good to see you folks could all make it!  I have a Kazbourne Stout here for each of you and a cider for Daniel as promised.  I also took the liberty of securing a pie for all of us to share."
Dale sits down and as the farmers give him a hearty "Huzzah".   Dale raises his mug and states, "A toast...  To a good meal, a bountiful growing season, and great friends."
Dale revels in the moment.  I has been a very long time since he has been able to share a meal without the fear of looking over his shoulder.
"So Thurgin, tell me about the valley and the four artifacts you mentioned earlier today.  That sounds like a great legend."
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Blackspear

Dale stands up and shakes Thurgin's hand.   "Its been my pleasure.   Hopefully I'll see you and the lads again sometime."   Dale nods to all of the farmers and heads up the stairs to his room.    Once there, he writes an entry into his journal regarding the days events.
After completing his journal entry, he delves into his pack where he has a secret aerated pouch and picks up his closest companion a humungously fat, wart toad.   "Well Xorn, its time to go eat.   Maybe we can find some grasshoppers tonight.  I know just where to look."
Dale heads down through the inn, being careful to conceal his friend from the other patrons of the tavern, and heads out to Coryndar Fields.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Wildfire

"I'd entertain the idea but I work the fields. My day starts pretty early and a laborous day it is. I need to get my rest to keep up my strength...especially since my years are long. The good thing is that Threshold is not so vast that a summary can't be got from a good walk. Although to 'know' Threshold will take you years." Looking around Thurgin notices that the others at the table are fighting hard to keep their eyelids from closing. The musicians are playing soft tunes that have led them into dodgy conciousness. Thugin then says, "Well Dale, it's been great fun talking to ya. I must however get my guys home and to bed. I'm actually starting to feel the wearies come about too." Thugin gets up and extends his calloused hands for a farewell shake.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Blackspear

I've never tried Dwarven Stout.   To tell true, I have only been in town for one day and I haven'y seen anything, but Coryndar Fields.   Maybe you can show me around town tomorrow after dinner?
Blackspear

Wildfire

Thurgin pulls another long drink from his mug emptying it and sighing with sad satisfaction, "Yeah...let's do that. What  other parts of the town have you been to and have you tried the Dwarven Stout that Keltan has here?"
Wildfire

Blackspear

"Yeah... I remember the last time I saw my mother...
She was dying.   Alone in her bed, she was shivering from the cold, even though it was so hot that the air felt like a blanket smothering the world...
She saw me standing at her door and smiled weakly at me...
She waved me towards her and grasped my hand...
She whispered faintly to me...
I could smell death on her breath...
She said "You've been the only one Dale...
"The only one who ever truly cared for me..."
A tear glistened in her eye as she placed my hand on the necklace on her chest.  
It was a simple piece of leather holding a seashell that went from white to reddish brown in a cylindrical shape.
She said "I found  this when I was a girl not much older than you are now...
It reminded me of my father who used to fish the seas...
I always used to hold it when I was in times of need..
Now I want you to have it as a memory of me..."
With that she passed into the night still grasping my hand...
Dale takes a long pull from his mug and says "Well, let's move onto more happy thoughts," as he gently caresses the seashell around his neck.
Blackspear

Wildfire

"Wha...to the Valley? Oh, yes! I've been there. It's really as magnificent as the legend says. There are some areas that are dangerous...especially the villages devoted to Takhisis. But Takhisis is part of our lives and the Valley is everything that makes that. So the Valley remains true to itself that way."

Thurgin walks back to the table with Dale and sits down. He scratches his wiskered chin and dreamy-eyed syas, "I remember the first time I saw the great Temple. There it was...a grey spike reaching for the heavens. It was standing tall amidst the wise, old, misty trees that has been there since the dawn of time. It was on the shore of the clearest lake I've ever seen an as I emerged from the forest, the tower was catching the morning light and reflecting off of the water. The snowy mountains all around were both treacherous and beautiful...the way the light skipped arcoss their faces. The Valley...is...just...." Thurgin's voice fades off.

He suddenly blinks and snaps out of his reverie. "Oh, you'll have to excuse me Dale I got snared in my memory. I was only just seven when I first went. Now here it is forty-two years later and I can see it in my  mind as clear now as then. Do have any memories like that?"
Wildfire

Blackspear

"Well spoken.  Very diplomatic of you Thurgin!"   Dale coninues to enjoy his wild boar.  Its quite succulent and it is complimented very well by the strong  Kazbourne stout.   As dale puts his mug down, he applauds the bard for a job well done.  
"So Thurgin, have you ever gone into the Vale?   It sounds like a very interesting yet dangerous place.   I think I'd like to see it for myself."
Blackspear

Wildfire

"Well, from what I understand she actually has a twin sister that also sings. So, it's possible that you have seen someone that looks like her singing the same songs. Whether or not she was far more beautiful well, I can't say..."
Wildfire

Blackspear

Dale gives Thurgin an ironic smile and says "Aye, she's good, but I've heard that song before.   As a matter of fact it was sung by another auburn haired, elven bard, who was far more beautiful and an equally talented vocalist.  Rumor has it that she was actually a princess in hiding.   It is strange how red haired elven bard's keep singing the same song.   I guess nothing is original anymore... :lol:  :roll:
Blackspear

Wildfire

After another long draw from his ale, emptying his mug Thurgin says, "Ah well, you bring up a valid question, you do. See, since the Valley was created by Mahiya to be shared by all influences. Every deity created the artifacts so as to become part of the Valley. The state of the Valley became tied to the artifacts. In order for the Valley to rejuvinate, all four of the artifacts had to be brought back. Tybalt was unaware of this and brought back the Obelisk to the place that it belonged in the hopes of getting control not really aware that the the other three were on their way back too. If he hadn't fufilled the prophecy by returning it, the Valley could very well still be in its' nightmare. So, that's how evil helped to eradicate a greater evil. Yes, the other three chosen ended the darkness...but Tybalt did too. Does that make any sense?"

One to other side of the Thornhedge the crowd clapped and cheered then  quieted down. A woman with a beautiful voice spoke, "Thank you all so much. We just arrived today and we are all glad to be back once again." Thurgin says, "Oh, Lady Lore'Ena is playing tonite. I did not know she was here since there was just music playing. Dale, if you haven't heard her sing then this will be a treat. Come..."

Thurgin gets up and pulls Dale to the other side of the Inn. Looking over and between the heads of the patrons Dale and the others see a red haired elven woman with harp. She is wearing a black and gold long dress with silver embroideries. Behind her is a party of finely dressed elven muscians. She continues to address the crowd, "In my travels here from my far away homeland I always think of the the other travelers that come to Threshold and The Valley of Mist for the festivity season and what that journey means to them. So here is a song dedicated to all of the wanderers not lost...and even those that are...haha!".

The band begins with with soft drums and the other instruments chime in. In a voice that sounds like gentle water she begins to coo. She then goes into the song...

[color=blue:0d4d0c4913]*[/color]Ride on through the night ride on
Ride on through the night ride on

There are visions, there are memories
There are echoes of thundering hooves
There are fires, there is laughter
There's the sound of a thousand doves

In the velvet of the darkness
By the silhouette of silent trees
They are watching, they are waiting
They are witnessing life's mysteries

Cascading stars on the slumbering hills
They are dancing as far as the sea
Riding oe'r the land, you can feel its gentle hand
Leading on to its destiny

Take me with you on this journey
Where the boundaries of time are now tossed
In catherdrals of the forest
In the words of the tongues now lost

Find the answers, ask the questions
Find the roots of an ancient tree
Take me dancing, take me singing
I'll ride on till the moons meet the sea

The crowd claps and whistles and the bards put down their instruments and go to meet the folk. Thurgin looks at Dale, "Is that perhaps the fairest voice you've ever heard? She has been coming to Threshold ever since The Great Rejuvination of the Valley 237 years ago. I've been listening to her sing my whole life. Let's get another ale...on me!"

[color=blue:0d4d0c4913]* Lyrics by Loreena McKennitt, "Night Ride Across the Caucases"- The Book of Secrets[/color]

[color=green:0d4d0c4913]OOC: Believe it or not, every time I hear this song I actually do think of what it would be like to be a simple traveler coming from far and away to see The Valley of Mist the way I envision it.[/color][color=#444444:0d4d0c4913][/color]
Wildfire

Blackspear

While chewing a hearty bite of his roast boar, Dale starts to ask a question.  He hesitates, thinks better of it, starts to ask again,  hesitates again because he doesn't want to feel stupid, and finally after swallowing the entire bite, forms his question.  "Forgive me for not understanding, but how did evil defeat itself?   Didn't the chosen companions defeat Tybalt Nightstar?   Aren't they the ones that defeated evil?"
Blackspear

Wildfire

Thurgin grins from ear to ear as he's handed the mug of ale. After taking a big gulp he burps and says, "You really don't know of the Valley? That's odd. Well let me tell you. The Valley of Mist is perhaps the most beautiful stretch of land that anyone might set their eyes on. It's said that the gods wept at it's beauty...even Takhisis. To honor such a sight Paladine, Sardior, Takhisis, and Mahiya gave to it four artifacts to represent them in their influences of life...so the legend says. No one knows for sure if that's true since it happened so long ago. For thousands of years the Valley remained in perfect harmony reflecting all forms of good, evil, and nature."

Thurgin takes another swig from his mug. His companions listen intently for his next words.

"Then, inexplicably, the the four artifacts vanished! No one could account for them. The Valley then fell into twisted darkness. People no longer visited the Valley and it became cursed. It's suspected that the minions of Takhisis took them away to cause this plight. The Shadow Empire...Xanthakos...then waged terrible war upon Vychia soon afterwards. Vychia held strong beating back the Shadows! Times were good and Vychia was strong. But still the Valley stayed in the dpths of an eternal night. Centuries later a group of travelers helping some locals in a now dead place in the Wasteland came upon the Medallion of Paladine."

Thurgin takes another draw from his mug.

"A man by the name of Peregrin Heartstone, who later turned to serve Takhisis, was able to hold the sacred piece when no other could. Later it was Pak Savage that carried the Medallion. The Medallion then led them to the other places that the Horn, which was carried by Zachary Clearwater, and the Crystal which was carried by Galan Ravenwood, were kept. The Crystal was at an old temple to Takhisis and the Horn was at the Three Towers. The Obelisk was found by others on a parallel quest. The Chosen, as they had become known as, then went to the Valley to fulfill their destiny. When they arrived they saw a land of nightmares! For as glorious as the Valley had been it was now defiled and in ruin. In there they fought many evil denizens on their way way to the great temple. Upon entering the temple they met the other Chosen, the one of Takhisis, Tybalt Nightstar, who wanted to take control of the Valley to honor Takhisis. The Heroes of the Valley defeated him by returning the artifacts to their respective alters and then rejuvinated the Valley back to it's proper majesty."

Thurgin takes a bite of the pie and continues, "And that, my friend, is the Legend of the Valley. I love to tell that story. The fact that evil unwittingly undid it's own plans I find to be thick with irony. Don't you?"
Wildfire