- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

04.16.2132 - Gone Camping

Started by Chassic, April 06, 2008, 09:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Xavier was expecting Leslie to laugh along, and perhaps even be embarrassed on her gullibility at his joke[/b]. It was immediately apparent that Leslie was instead taking Xavier very seriously.

"But your kidding with me right?!" she shouted, then she realized how loud she had been as a couple of nearby patrons looked questioningly at her. She smiled back at them with a wave, they turned away disinterested.

She leaned in between the two Whisper members when she knew she had only there attention.

"The two of you aren't strong enough to fight a Karh'Thul by yourselves! Are you out of your minds?!"

Chassic

"C'mon, Chipmunk. You think I don't know how tough a Karh'Thul is? 'Sides. if I were really going hunting I'd invite Renee, not J. No offense, J." Xavier casually looked over to his friend. "She's more experienced with Karh'Thul and ... other things." Xavier tapped a closed fist against his lips and pushed his tongue against the inside of his cheek a few times, indicating her particular kind of experience. "It would make for a more interesting trip, that's for sure!"

Dray

Jared laughed so hard his hand went into the cheese on the potato-halves, making him laugh even harder. Leslie meanwhile merely stared at Xavier, blinking, not getting the slight on Renee's character even in the slightest bit.

Leslie shook off whatever the weird-boy humor was and exclaimed, "well you certainly aren't going to Jared's Dad's house...since he don't got one!"

She stood there with her little fists balled at her hips, her big eyes under a crossed blonde brow and her lips pierced into what could only be a frown. Xavier thought she looked about as menacing as a field mouse.... with attitude.

Chassic

"Well, guess you don't know everything after all," Xavier exclaimed incredulously. "J does, in fact, have a father ... he just doesn't see him much. Do ya, J? Got a mom, too. Don't get a chance to see her much either. That'll change soon enough though." Xavier slapped his friend on the knee reassuringly.

"So we are going to J's dad's. We might not stay long if he's as much of a goat mater as I hear he is, but we are going. OOC: We're not. So why don't you be a good little Monkey and get back to entertaining these folks?"

Xavier looked to his friend, "We really should get moving J. I want to be ready and waiting to go before this merchant is." Xavier got up and slung his pack over one shoulder.

"Oh, hey, Chipmunk. What can I bring you back from our trip?"

OOC: I just realized that Xavier's nickname for Leslie makes no sense. Cut off from the rest of the world as they are would anyone even know what a monkey is? If not, I'll have to pick a new nickname. Hmm, maybe Chipmunk?

Dray

(OOC: Chipmunk works....the kingdom has the typical animal life of Maine)

Dray

Leslie looked at him knowingly. Xavier suddenly wondered if his plans would be foiled by tiny twelve-year old.

"Fine," she said matter-of-factly, "you two want to go get yourselves killed, who am I to stop you."

Leslie walked away to serve another table.

Jared spoke up as soon as she was out of earshot. "Her head may be in the clouds, but Leslie is as smart as they come Xavier." he said with a shake of his head. "To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if she knew where we were going before you even tried to spin it off as a joke."

Chassic

"She's so smart how come she didn't know anything about your family?" Xavier smirked at his friend as they stepped away from their table. A group of kids quickly took the open spot.

"Leslie is smart, I'll give you that. But she doesn't know nearly as much as she thinks she knows. It's gonna get her in trouble one day." Xavier lowered his voice, "Maybe even the bunch of us."

Xavier and Jared continued in the direction Mr. Marks walked. Hopefully they would stumble into him or the ornery merchant.

Dray

Jared was a bit perplexed as they walked through the back storage room and out the back door.

"But, my father doesn't own a house and is a drunk, she knows[/i] that. Xavier," and Jared at this point had grabbed his arm to get his attention.

"Do you think I should go back and talk to her?" he asked him, for which Xavier noted that Jared must have seen the disapproving thought he had about that idea, for Jared backed it up with, "...well, just in case she decides to tell any adults about our plans. I don't want her spoiling anything."

Just then, Mr. Marks hailed them from the back gate at the end of the alley. "Ah, excellent young travelers, I see that you have your things ready. Mr. Church awaits you around the corner," he said as he circumvented the crates scattered amongst the alley and walked over to them.

"He is anxious to leave the noise behind and be off, so get a move on lads," he finished, and headed towards the back door.

Chassic

OOC: Ah, I misinterpreted what Leslie was saying. When she said " he ain't got one" I thought she meant he doesn't have a father (because Jared lives at the orphanage). I also didn't get that his dad was homeless. I knew he was a drunk, I didn't realize he was a homeless drunk. Regardless, we could still be going to see his homeless dad. Jared might want to patch things up (and maybe we will). I don't think there is anything particularly suspicious about that.

Chassic

"Thanks again Mr. Marks!" said Xavier, giving him a polite wave. As they moved away from Mr. Marks and started to leave the alley Xavier whispered to Jared, "She's not going to say anything because she doesn't know anything. Now let's just get moving, we don't want to be late."

The two walked around the corner looking for Mr. Church.

Dray

Had Xavier thought about it, from the earlier description of ornery, he would have expected some old miser with a single-horse drawn, moth-infested wagon. What was around the corner was not what he would have expected.

A long covered black wagon pulled by a team of four, powerfully muscular horses awaited the two boys. In the drivers seat was Mr. Church, who although old (early 40s) wasn't exactly a miser. The man had long black hair and a 5 night-hand shadow about his face, but was smartly dressed in his leather duster and broad-rimmed leather hat. He had a crossbow ready at each side of the seat and had a longsword in his own scabbard.

As they approached he said. "I take it the two of you are the charges Mr. Marks has paid passage for?"

At Xavier's nod he continued. "Alright, now listen up. I am thinking the two of you are clever enough to realize that you aren't so clever. I am really not interested in spending this trip listening to your complaints about your teachers or your dreams about the next girl you're going to feel-up."

Although he was talking very matter-of-factly, his tone almost bordering on polite, the man's words were indeed harsh to the point of ornery.

"So I want the two of you to get inside the wagon, there is space enough in there to lay your knapsacks down if you wish. I will make stops every 4 hands or so for piss breaks, but we won't be stopping to break camp until tomorrow night."

While Mr. Church spoke he simply sat in the drivers seat, apparently ready to go and also in no mood to come down to help the lads stow away their backpacks or open the wagon door.

"With luck," he continued, "we should be able to get to the southern village where I plan on dropping the two of you by the night after tomorrow, as long as the rains hold out. Now...should you need me to stop for any extremely[/i] important reason, you can pull a cord that is at the ceiling in the front of the wagon, but again, make sure its important, I don't want to be delayed."

"Do either of my two passengers have any questions," he asked. He didn't seem to be too eager to hear any though.

Chassic

Xavier shook his head "No", stowed his gear, and silently entered the wagon.

"Ornery? Pfft, this guy was downright cuddly compared to Shanteel," thought Xavier. "This should be a nice, uneventful trip."

Dray

Jared walked in behind him and immediate put his backpack down before closing the door behind him. A hooded lantern that was set in a very fire-proof looking glass and cast iron wall sconce was mounted near the door, it shed the only light inside the covered wagon. Xavier got a good look at Jared's backpack for the first time and smirked, it obviously had the equivalent of an entire chemistry set in it. It barely contained the box-shaped container and looked like it may explode at the seams where the corners threatened to rip through.

The wagon was almost completely full of crates, some stacked to the ceiling. The crates were strapped down real well though, and thankfully didn't look like they would topple over anytime soon. In between them, a narrow corridor was formed that was long enough for Jared and Xavier to indeed lie down their knapsacks, their heads would be close to one another on the floor adjacent to the door. This also would allow them to put their belongings by their feet. In all consideration, it was a pretty sweet arrangement.

"Well, at least we can stretch out," Jared said.

The wagon almost immediately started off and both he and Xavier were pleasantly surprised on how smooth the ride was.

"I think this is one of those new wagons they make at that place in the Riverfront District, it has something called a suspension system," Jared said.

There were only two very small square windows at the sides of the wagon near the front to look out of, and the one on the left was blocked by crates.

Chassic

Xavier was curious about what was in the crates. He looked for any hints that might suggest their contents. He was careful not to be too obvious about it. He didn't want to be kicked off the wagon before they even left the city.

As Xavier poked around he made sure that J's pack was secure. "Hey," he whispered, "what are the chances that this thing is going to blow us all to hell?"

Dray

Jared laughed, although nervously, not wanting to insult the older boy. "Erm...only if the wagon was engulfed by fire could that happen. All of the volatile ingredients are quite separated from each other."

Xavier, satisfied at the answer, proceeded to look in and around the crates, some were merely leather-strapped and easy to open and close.

The merchant seemed to be transporting an uninteresting array of goods. From mundane tin items, like cups and plates, to other materials, like lantern oil and such, that one may not be able to get outside the city. It was all very boring.

Jared moved his backpack to the end of the corridor between the crates at the back end of the wagon and then sat down in front of it.

"So, what's the real plan when we get out there?" he asked Xavier with obvious enthusiasm.