- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

08.30.2132 - The Return Home

Started by Dray, November 25, 2008, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

THIS "Return Home" thread occurs four months BEFORE Temmit is involved with the following threads;

Let's Start With Lunch
    *Meeting of the Minds
    *Renee's Concern
Following along the timeline of these threads, you can see that four months from now (now being this thread), Temmit is Renee's second in command. I don't believe Temmit would have gone back to the city (at the completion of this thread), met the guild, and achieved this status before the end of the year. Therefore, Temmit has indeed already met Renee and has joined the Whisper guild. How many months or years ago prior to this thread is up to you.

By default of the guild's acceptance of only gifted children, Temmit would also (therefore) have some form of psionic talent. But yes, he does not yet have Smokey.

Agree? Thoughts?

Also note, I will respond to this post after I check a few items. Loving this thread![/color]

Johan

OK...I've lost sense of this game a bit; sorry. It is stupid of me to forget some pretty simple stuff after such a short absence. :)

I have in my mind that during the game thus far, Temmit is about to turn 18. Looking at the Character Development thread, I see that he's on the late edge of 15. Sorry. So I've been playing this thread as though he's got no abilities whatever, which, to your point, would be incorrect. He must have a rudimentary ability or two.

I'm going to have to review Temmit's character sheet to take a look at the abilities that he might have had at this point. Can I assume that he would have had all his powers, but not necessarily his feats. How's that sound?

Thanks for bringing this up. It's pre-whisper, but not pre-powers.

Updated my last post.

BTW, I'm very glad that this is consuming some of your gray matter again.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

Johan, it's been two years since Dray has been vested in this campaign, it isn't your fault you lost a bit of sense on how it's all played out. I myself have had to reread ALL the threads in order to get perspective on the timeline of all events.

Let me throw out some dates to give you perspective, if you want to alter anything in order revise the timeline to reflect your own ideas, please give me suggestions:

01.15.2117 - Temmit born

07.10.2120 - Temmit (age 3) is sent to the orphanage after his family is "killed by a falling tree when traveling in their wagon (the report of the truth was not made)".

09.05.2131 - Temmit (age 14) meets Renee of Whisper Guild.

10.10.2131 - Temmit (age 14) is recognized by Renee as having latent (magical/divine/psionic) ability, she has him interviewed. Temmit succeeds and joins Whisper Guild.

04.05.2132 - Temmit (age 15) is promoted to 2nd in command ("lieutenant") by Renee in the Whisper guild. They are the best of friends.

08.20.2132 - Temmit (age 15) "returns home".

12.21.2132 - Temmit (age 15) In a guild meeting (Meeting of the Minds), Emma is selected to take over
the guild since Renee will be turning 18 at WinterEnd.

The lines in the color "red" above are the ones that you have liberty to change since these dates haven't been established in any ICD threads. But as you can see, this timeline gives Temmit and Renee time to meet each other; time for Temmit to be recognized as gifted; time for Temmit to join in the guild and become Renee's best friend so he can be assigned as 2nd in command.

Johan

I have no issue with the time line as I now understand it. I've updated my post...carry on, sir.

Dray

Your gentle prodding of his mind received a wave of emotion you didn't expect...it can only be described as affectionate adoration, as if your mind has stepped into the embrace of a father figure.

"Haven't been to the Priest bowl fer over three years now boy, so no way I've followed yeah from there," Peters began. He bent over and picked up the unfolded parchment that had landed at his feet.

"My wife spied yeah from our woodland home a few miles from here. While we can easily see travelers on the road, the opposite isn't true. Our house bein positioned in such a way that it's far enough and hidden enough to keep away from a wandering eyes." He stopped and looked down upon the face on the parchment and gave it a half smile.

"Anyway, after yeah had passed the house, she came down here last night to greet yeah proper; a kind of welcoming of the new neighbor. But she found yeah asleep on the floor. Well, she knew yer image as much as I...having studied it these past ten years. So she placed a blanket on yeah and returned home, and when I came back from a hunt this morning, she happily reported yer appearance. So here I am."

Peters drew another piece of paper from his pocket. He then stood for a moment and studied the boy. Upon making a decision, he unfolded this second parchment. As Peters did so, Temmit noted that it was exactly like the first, with the same creased edges, worn from years of residing in the man's possession.

"Yeah see," he said while looking down to this new piece of parchment, "Temmit, yeah have changed our whole lives."

Peters held out the newly revealed parchment, offering it to him with a smile.

Johan

Temmit relaxed a bit at his realization of Peters' surface emotions, but then tensed a again, but differently. Gone was the alarm and fear that posited the notion of danger. It was replaced, however, with an anxiety of who this fellow was that he should bear Temmit such tender regard.

As Temmit listened, his agile mind was able to establish a few links: if Peters and his wife were truly neighbors, then they might know Temmit from a time before which Temmit had any memories. But then, if this were true, then Peters should know that a joke about Kahr'Thul might put Temmit on edge.

How would Temmit have changed anyone's life? An orphan and a loner for as long as he could recall; he didn't have any aquaintences, let alone friends, who might say that he changed their lives. In all, his little existance in this little mote of a world of theirs was really very unremarkable.

It brought to mind for Temmit again his first...second, actully...his second question: what did Peters want?

Temmit lowered his sword, though not completely, and (keeping a mental as well as a physical eye on Peters), took the new paper from the man, scanning it quickly for signs of its origin.

Dray

It was a letter, and in an instant Temmit determined it was most definitely NOT his father's handwriting (nor did it try to disguise itself to be). Temmit flipped it over before reading it, examining it for some kind of POOSH stamp or other marking. It was blank on the back.

Temmit flipped it back over to the writing but couldn't for the life of him start reading. Something in the back of Temmit's mind told him to focus on the creases where the fold's had permanently left their six criss-crossed indentations. He could almost hear his own voice criticizing him on his own ineptness to see the obvious. He continued to stare, determined to conquer this feeling. And then he spotted it. This parchment was folded in exactly the same manner as the picture. It was as if this letter had been folded inside the parchment of Temmit's picture.

'They came together in the POOSH,' Temmit ascertained with relief, his mind quieted with the insecurity abated.

He read the letter...

Dear Mr. Peters,
We do not know each other. My name is Henry, and I am a retired craftsman in Lakeshore and an admittedly eccentric philanthropist.

I have a favor to ask of you, but before I voice it, let me briefly tell you why you were chosen. Mr. Peters, it was I who discovered you that night in ShantyTown. I was the one who brought you back to your wife and deposited you on the doorstep of your home. You said to me, "if only I could catch one break, I would change it all. I vow I would change it all."

Well Mr. Peters? Here is your chance. I need you to deliver a message for me. And for that favor I will reward you handsomely, I will give you that chance to change it all. But for this chance I ask you to do something extraordinary; for this chance, I will need you to trust your fellow man.

For no ordinary message will it be, nor, will it take just a short time to deliver. You see Mr. Peters, it will take over a decade to make good on your end of this bargain. For I need you to deliver the picture enclosed in this letter to a young man ONLY when he returns home. Not before. It is imperative that you obey this key part of the request. And it is in this I ask you to trust your fellow man.

His name is Temmit, he will return home at the end of SummerSecond, twelve years hence.

If you agree to this contract Mr. Peters, then your first step is to report to Bank of Haven. I have an account setup in your name. The account contains fifty-thousand gold pieces, enough money for you and your wife to start anew in the South. Upon your arrival at the bank and acceptance of this account a chain reaction of pre-designed events will occur, all to make your transfer to the South a safe and pleasant one. You simply have to accept the account as testament to your acceptance of this contract.

Regards,
Henry Fellow

Johan

So in an earlier post, you stated the following:

Quote from: Dray
...and no, in all of your travels, nor in ANY point yet in time (remember this thread takes place a year ago), do you recognize this name.

This is interesting to me, as it suggests that as of the last actual PLAY date, Temmit would recognize the name (though at the time of this thread, he does not), but I don't recall it.

Can you elaborate so as to elucidate?

Dray

OOPS, I see the confusion. I misspoke. I should have said that Rob Peters is first mentioned (introduced) by the GM in this thread. Temmit would of course carry this entire thread as memory going forward.

Dray

Furthermore. I now have a vast library of notes after reading all of the ICD's Temmit was involved in (took about 4 hours). I will do my best at maintaining the consistency of the timeline; in other words, nothing I scrybe herein should create a conflict with all the threads that take place at later dates.

Johan

Ok, so thus far, this is the first place that the PLAYER has encountered Peters. Thank you (if I'm correct...if not, then speak clearly, you imibicile :) )

Temmit read the letter twice, then (as was his usual wont when reading bizzare writings), read it again.

"I don't understand." He said at last. "It is not I who have changed your life...your lives; it was Henry Fellow, if this letter be true and what you tell me is no fantasy.

"Who is this Henry Fellow? What does he have to do with me?"

Dray

Rob Peters remained calm and collected, not paying any mind to the sword Temmit had lowered.

"Near in as I can tell. Mr. Fella was a retired boat-maker livin in Lakeshore twelve years back when the tale of your family's tragedy was reported in the papers. I imagine he mustah read that, then felt hard on your sufferin as any man would. '(A)pparently he had the coin and decided to do something 'bout it."

Rob Peters spoke while rotating his hat in his hands, the rim spinning slowly.

"That being said, how the blazes the man came 'bout this picture of you grown up is well beyond my understandin."

Peters blinked at Temmit, hoping for an answer.

Johan

Empathy, and on e chance that what is sensed is genial, at least...

Temmit relaxed noticeably and lowered his sword further. In the last year, plus or minus, he had been exposed to a lot of strange things; there were to his somewhat recent knowledge so many people with abilities and powers outside of what was considered "normal". This was really nothing more than another instance of the unknown rearing its illogical head.

To Robert Peters, he simply shook his head and said quietly, "I don't know. It seems like a strange, elaborate trick of some sort, along with how he might know when I'd be returning home, given that I myself did not know it."

"But even if such a story might be true," he continued, "why? How does this help either you or me?"

Of course the obvious answer that presented itself to Temmit was that his father had powers, even as Temmit himself had started to exhibit; Temmit's father must have had some ability to see some aspects of the future, as that drawing was clearly in Temmit's father's unique hand, but why? Had his father seen the tragedy before it happened? If he had, why would he have allowed it to happen? How many of his father's pictures might have been glimpses of a distant future?

And what to do about these things now? He turned his mind in Peters' words? "So out of a desire to do something about it....for me...he had you bring this picture to me?" He shook his head again. "I don't get it." He said.

Dray

CONCERN is the emotion you get from your empathy check.

Peters looked visibly disappointed for the confusion it caused Temmit.

"For that I apologize on his behalf, for I'm sher Mr. Fella didn't save a drunk at the tune of fifty thousand pieces of gold fer nuthin. Perhaps you are going to understand it layter?"

Rob then took something from his other vest pocket. It was a small leather folder, as Temmit took it he noticed the words Bank of Safe Haven stamped on its cover.

"That there is the leftovers of our good fortune. I had your name jointed to the account. It's not much, just a couple hundred gold pieces left, but it's the least my wife and I can do fer your bein involved in our own salvation."

(f you flip open the front cover it is a savings account with over ten dozen withdrawal entries. The remaining balance is 638gp, 26sp, 98cp)

Johan

"I don't have answers." Temmit said. "And I get the notion that this Henry Fellow is dead by now."

He considered the bank book then. "But I can't accept this." He said. "It doesn't feel right; you held your part of the bizarre bargain. This money is yours." He held the bank book towards the old man. "The reality is that I wasn't involved in this at all. Perhaps Mr. Fellow was working on your behalf, and I'm nothing more than an excuse for him to help you? Perhaps he felt that he owed you something." He's certainly no one that I've ever heard of, and will likely never hear from him again, I'm thinking."