- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Action Points

Started by Dray, February 26, 2007, 06:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

ACTION POINTS provide a player with the means to alter d20 rolls in dramatic situations, reflecting the luck that can change crushing failure into heroic success. Your character has a limited number of action points, and you must use them wisely, since you don't replenish your supply until your character attains a new level.

You can spend an action point to improve the result of an attack roll, a skill check, an ability check, a level check, or a saving throw. Certain feats and prestige class features allow you to spend actions points in different ways, but this is their most basic use.

When you spend an action point, you add the result of a 1d6 roll to your d20 roll to help you meet or exceed the target number for the roll. You can declare that you are spending an action point after you have already rolled the d20, but you must do so before the DM reveals the result of your roll (whether the attack roll or check or saving throw succeeded or failed). You can't use an action point on a skill check or ability check when you are taking 10 or taking 20.

The act of using action points can only be done once in a round. If you spend 1 or more points on a special action (see below), you can't also spend a point in the same round to improve a die roll. Also note that no spell, power, or other special ability can allow a character to reroll an action point die. If a character suffers permanent level loss, he does not lose any actions points he has remaining, and any subsequent level advancement provides new action points as normal.

If your character is 8th or higher, you can roll more than 1d6 when you spend an action point. If you do so, apply the highest result and disregard the other rolls. For example, as a 15h level character, you can roll 3d6 and take the best result of the three. So, if you rolled 1, 2, and 4, you would apply the 4 to your d20 roll.

Character Level/Action Point Dice (d6) Rolled

1st-7th / 1d6
8th-14th / 2d6
15th-20th / 3d6

At 1st level, you have 5 action points. Each time you attain a new level, you gain a fresh supply of action points equal to 5 + 1/2 your character level, rounded down. Any action points you didn't spend at your previous level are lost.

SPECIAL ACTIONS

Instead of altering the result of a d20 roll, you can use your action points to perform one of the special actions described below. In addition, some prestige classes and feats allow you to spend action points to gain or activate specific abilities.

Activate Class Feature:  You can spend 2 action points to gain another use of one of the following class features that (normally) has a limited number of uses per day: bardic music, rage, smite evil, Stunning Fist, turn or rebuke undead, or wild shape. In other words, if you can wild shape 3/day, spending 2 action points would allow a 4th shape change in that day.

Stabilize: When your character is dying, you can spend 1 action point to stabilize at your current hit point total. Spending an action point does nothing for you if you're already dead.

Dray

Bump, make sure you all read this, still applies.

Johan

I was wondering if this still applied. I just kept forgetting to ask you.

I remember not "getting it" when I read it though. Perhaps now it'll make more sense.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Johan

Question: You can use action points to modify an attack roll, but you also say that I must declare that I will be doing so before the DM reveals the result of your roll (whether the attack roll or check or saving throw succeeded or failed).

Well, how does this work where we actually know the result of the attack roll before *you* do? We gonna bend that rule a bit?

Dray

Dray

Now stop fooling around and go post in Renee's concerns you dope.

Johan

Griznuq

Ordinarily, we shouldn't know the RESULT of the roll... We'd know that we rolled what we rolled before the DM would, but strictly speaking, we shouldn't know the AC of the bad guy...

So we would see a 13 and not knowing the AC, we might add said action point.
=]V[=

Dray

True enough, but that way of playing requires organization....pfft.

No thanks.