- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

The First Lesson

Started by Wildfire, January 14, 2008, 07:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

"End of a chapter! My father had his throat cut before my very eyes as he tried to save me." Kit told him abruptly and in challenge her eyes flaring in anger.

Ashe in turn didn't reply, waiting for the words he had spoken to her to sink into her mind. She only stared at him in challenge for a moment, and then sniffed away the sorrow and started to wipe the tears from her eyes, but she couldn't wipe away the anger.

Kit and Ashe stood alone on The Foot, although there was no-one yet on the town roads, candle and lantern light flickered from the windows of early risers. High up on the hill of the small island was The Circle of All and the Spike of Fire. A thin mist hung over the town offering an ethereal quality to their surroundings.

Neither of them seemed to want to move from the spot. Finally Kit, with her eyes shifted to the ground whispered the hard question hanging in the air.

"How did she die Grandfather?"

Wildfire

Ashe's hand began to quake and his head began to twitch. He knew that she would ask that question and he had prepared for it. He could feel the insanity that had come upon him after her death start to manifest once again. He closed his eyes, drew in a deep breath and with all of his mental clarity he suppressed his seer's insanity.

With a shaky voice he replied, "Ah...she was caught unawares by the minions of Zyxu and was mortaly wounded." Ashe took a deep breath and found his resolve to continue, "My children survived though, thank Mahiya. She hung on long enough for me to return." He cast a glance towards the Circle of All and looked back at Kit. "She died in my arms."

Ashe proceeded to walk across the island and Kit walked alongside him. Kit could swear she heard him whisper something but as soon as she heard it the whispering stopped.

(OOC: Dray, this post has changed slightly from the original)
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

Kit was now a bundle of nerves and this morning's dynamic emotions were stirring the psionic power within her chest. Her hands were not only shaking from her own anger, but from anxiety caused by Ashe's recent revelation. She closed her fists and crossed her arms to conceal her nervousness from him. 'Who exactly is this man she walked beside?' she wondered.

'He wants you to take his wife's place.' Jordan whispered.

Kit stopped in her tracks, her currently frayed mind quick to succumb to anger from the shock caused by the Jordan's words. Ashe halted and merely looked back at her and waited patiently.

She pathed back to Jordan in absolute rage at the insolent remark, 'Alright! First, you can't be more wrong! Second. Even though I would be lucky to have such a caring, compassionate man like him as a husband, you know as well as I do that this man is NOT like that!'

'I'm sorry.' Jordan meekly whispered back.

But Kit, now livid didn't even pause in her anger and she was so caught up in her rage that she didn't even notice Ashe looking back at her knowingly.

'For fate's sake where the fuck did that comment come from?! The man saved our lives!'  Kit yelled at Jordan via the telepathic connection that thankfully, they only shared.

The psionic power in Kit was now raging. She closed her eyes, the lids releasing tears from their surface, and checked herself while taking in a long breath as she shook all over. When she telepathed back to her new-found friend her voice had descended back to a gentler, if not condescending tone.

'Please think about your thoughts Jordan before thrusting them into my mind. Your comment was improper, uncalled for, and took me completely by surprise... I am sorry I yelled at you.'

Kit opened her eyes and resumed walking beside Ashe, who had merely stood for the few moments and said nothing. Her anger subdued, she looked up at him frequently in concern for him as they made their way across the town in the cool morning air.

Wildfire

The two walked down the road in silence for a while. Ashe seemed to be lost in his own thoughts and Kit understood well why. Kit thought that she may have seen a tear escape from Ashe's eye but wasn't entirely sure.

Soon they were passing by the Temple of Shadows. A lone figure stood at the entrance to the beautiful, albeit nightmarish, building. She could see the soft glow of purple light glowing from beyond the open doors and from the darkened windows.

Kit was startled to see the figure descend the steps and approach her and her adoptive grandfather. At once Ashe said, "Do not worry...he'll not hurt you."

Kit could already sense the distress emanating from Jordan.
Wildfire

Dray

"He won't try if he knows what is good for him", Kit whispered to Ashe before the foreboding figure reached them.

"You are not going to just stand here are you?!" Jordan pathed in a near panic.

Wildfire

The dark robed man approached. Ashe put a reassuring hand on Kit's shoulder.

"Well, twice in one day I get the pleasure of your company honored Ashe." Severen said. He looks at Kit and says, "Hello young one. My name is Severen. I am the High Priest of this glorious Temple of Shadows. Who's beautiful presence am I gifted to be in?"

Severen had a charming demeanor about him. He seemed to portray kindness and genuine interest. His voice was smooth and he had stunning looks. His hair was long and dark and his eyes were of a deepest purple. He had a glimmering spiked chain around his waist that connected where a belt buckle normally would. Hanging from his neck he had a round, black steel symbol. From within the circle there were five black bars that met at the bottom and fanned out evenly to the top. Kit, although not vastly familiar with spiritual icons, could easily recognize this as a symbol of Takhisis.

Severen held out his hand in greetings and smiled warmly.
Wildfire

Dray

Kit had never before met a man like the one who stood before him.

The worship of Takhisis was something one got arrested for in Kazbourne, and now that a priest of damnation was actually standing before her, she was intimidated.

He also did not look like a man to be taken lightly, his eyes had a depth of intellect that made her take a step back. Never would she also have expected one who was obviously evil to be so handsome.

She took another half step behind Ashe and didn't take Severens' hand in greeting. She stood there, biting her lip and said nothing.

"He has spoken with Drakyr, he knows that you know of Drakyrs' plans." Jordan whispered in her mind. And part if Kit wondered.

Wildfire

Severen lowered his hand and said, "I understand. You fear that which you do not comprehend. Many do. Trying to understand the unknown is the only way we gain knowledge pretty one." Severen raised an eyebrow and responded in his melodic voice, "Is it not polite to introduce yourself?"

His words slapped Kit in the face. He may have honored Takhisis but he spoke the truth. Suddenly she began to reassess her preconceived notions. Jordan was terrified.

Ashe wanted to whisk Kit away from this conversation. She had been through enough in the last few days but Kit had to deal with the world. It would afford her no special favor. She spent her life running from the past and he wasn't going to let her run from the present. She had to learn to handle uncomfortable situations. Such is the way of the life.
Wildfire

Dray

Kit had let out a small start in surprise, not having expected to be called upon her hesitation in greeting him.

"I think I comprehend more than you give me credit for Sir," she said. Although her words were strong, she continued to hide behind Ashe and did not offer her hand.

Glancing at him from behind her Grandfathers' right arm she lied as she said, "My name is Kithendria Dovemorrow, it is uh.....interesting to meet you."

Wildfire

"Likewise." Severen responded. "Perhaps you may understand more. But usually reactions such as yours are born from ignorance. It was my mistaken presumption. Please, forgive my faulty judgment."

Severen glances back at the Temple of Shadows and says, "You are, of course, welcome to visit at almost anytime should you like. But I can see that you have a purpose this morning so I'll not keep you from it further. Have a most pleasant day...my child. I'm sure we will not only meet, but talk again."
Wildfire

Dray

Wildfire

Ashe and Kit continued to walk down the road. Severen stood for a moment then went back to his temple.

The glow of Kossuth was brightening and the songs of the birds were growing into a chorus. Ahead and to the right on a tall cliff were the Goldleaf trees that Ashe spoke of. Ashe knew Kit had seen them many times before and thought she may be excited to be actually standing amongst their magnificence.

"So?" Ashe asked. "What do you think of him?"
Wildfire

Dray

Kit had been distracted as they walked away from the Temple of Shadows. But as they neared the trees she tilted her face into the warming rays of Kossuth which streamed through the magnificent branches.

"Grandfather, there are some things you should know of me. Our encounter with that priest made me realize how much you may not know about me, and how much you should." Kit looked up at the man with a hesitant smile.

Wildfire

Ashe knew well that Kit had a turbulent past. He had seen many manifestations of it during her psychic surgery. Given the sensitive nature of it, he didn't want to push the issue and figured she would speak of it in her own time. Apparently, now was that time. "Kit, if you feel there's something you want to tell me then please, by all means. If you don't, then I'll not be offended. Either way, you'll still be Kit to me."

He wasn't sure how she would react but then, that's exactly why he answered the way he did. Everything he asked or said was meant to challenge her in some way. She needed the growth.
Wildfire

Dray

"Do not be offended Grandfather when I say this, but it is not I[/i] who is protected in my telling." She gave him a sidelong glance as they walked and saw that he understood.

"It is not that I wish to make a confession, or, seek some form of reconciliation with you," she paused. "But you have gone into darkness and saved my life, and that would be a debt ill-paid by endangering yours."

Ashe put a finger up and interrupted her, "I merely meant that there was no need to tell me what may be too painful to utter until you are ready."

"I know it Grandfather, and I appreciate your respect for my feelings, but by not telling you my history puts you, me, and the entire Protectorate in danger. We need to sit Grandfather, if that is what you truly want to be to me then we must have a long talk." Kit said, her voice getting calmer.

Ashe was having a hard time defining the girl, one moment she was a quaking child in front of a priest, the next, she was an assertive woman who was wiser than most three times her age.