- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Dark servant, Good deed

Started by Wildfire, December 07, 2005, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"Severen, you are right: these things are filthy, disgusting, unnatural, vile, affronts to humanity, nature, Mahiya, and all of her children." He looked around to see if there were any commoners who might be interested in seeing the tooth. It would be helpful if someone were to be able to bear testament to what the two priests were doing. It might just diffuse a later friction. He thought hopefully.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Severen said, "You come from an interesting folk. I grew up in the city myself so the wild is somewhat alien to me.

As Maccabeus held the tooth up he could see that the point had already turned into a little mouth with teeth! Maccabeus could surmise that was the reason it was so deep.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

"Ahh, I misunderstood, and I think that you are right in an urban setting. In the Dale, we tend to honor our dead by returning them into the Great Cycle, body and all. Our shells nourish the next generation in one way or another. Some prefer to bury their loved ones to nourish insects and plants, some might invite our forest brothers to absorb those shells. What you take out, you should put back. And no, I've never had the privilege of actually seeing a soul, although there was a great shaman among my people who had more than once transferred his own soul into other animals as he grew older. It is said that he finally alit within the body of a great wolf and thus began the Dale Gnomes' lasting affinity for that revered beast."

Maccabeus carefully and gently tended to the body that Severen had laid down for him as he spoke. "Hey - here's one more tooth." He said excitedly. "It's rather deep, though. Just cut it out with my knife?" He didn't wait for Severen to answer; the task seemed fairly obvious, but as he worked a thought occurred to him: "It's a good thing you cued us to check this, Severen. This poor fellow would have become another of those unnatural and foul beasts." He announced somewhat loudly as he held the recovered tooth up.

Wildfire

"Yeah, I don't find any teeth in this one either. Only four more to go. The condition I was actually referring to was the half eaten one. To a cherished, a quiet death is one thing. It looks like they're sleeping. But to see that same person half eaten, ripped, and mangled is far more disturbing to people. It's a violation of sorts. But the falsity in that is the perception that soul and body are one. If they were one then spirits called back from their place of rest would also be torn and broken. In fact they're quite beautiful. Have you ever seen someone's soul?"

Severen grabbed another body and brought it gently to the ground for Maccabeus to speculate. He then pulled another to the ground for him to look over. The bodies of the towns folk, six in total...three men and three women, were bitten and torn. The blood was sticky and partially dried. The faces actually did have the look of sweet peace upon them.
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus considered Severen's words as he tenderly explored the wounds of one of the victims. "It's an interesting perspective that the death of a loved one creates an image that the person is too weak to deal with." He said philosophically.

"Were that the case, then wouldn't those people go and kill themselves? Indeed, I am aware that this sometimes happens, but wouldn't it happen every time?"

"I live in comfort, aware that death in this life is the venue to another life." As he spoke these words, he was conscious of other villagers witnessing their work. He lifted his voice a bit for others to hear; at least they might draw some small comfort from his words, and be aware that they two men weren't violating their friends or family.

"I find none of the vile beats' teeth inside of this poor soul, Severen." He said loudly. "He can rest easy." The little gnome cumbersously laid the youngish man neatly, and ceremoniously folded his limp hands upon the still chest. He then murmered a silent death prayer to the Great Cycle and moved on to the next victim.

Wildfire

Severen nodded his head and said, "Death does funny things to people. To see a loved one in this condition is probably more of a horror to them. It creates an image that they're too weak to deal with."

Severen pulled over one of the bloodied bodies with great care and says, "Look in the areas where they've bitten. Usually the teeth will either snap out by force or fall out by their own will. Either way, you'll see them either just below the surface or they'll have burrowed their way deeper. Most of these bodies although partly eaten aren't damaged to badly so the chances of an infestation occuring is not as probable. I hate these creatures to the Nine Hells!"
Wildfire

Johan

"Fascinating. By the way, I do apologize if I misunderstood your intent regarding disposition of the mortal shells of these people, and if I misrepresented that to Julius. I have a way of misunderstanding, I'm afraid." Maccabeus greeted Wolf happily.

"Is there an easy way of ensuring that no teeth are left to fester in these bodies?" He asked as they looked towards attending the dead. "It a wonder that kin haven't come to help or to be helped." He remarked.

Wildfire

Severen smirked, "Actually, this is the first time I've ever been here. To my understanding there was a mysterious plague that swept through this region last year. It killed only priests and arcanists oddly enough. Since I come from Rhohannus I was never even affected...nine hells, I never even knew about it until I got the charge to come here!"

The two stepped off of the Rosewalk and Severen continued, "Apparently Juius and the rest of the council sent out word to send priests here. The other council members actually embarked on a recruiting effort to some of the larger cities like Kurr, New Jarla, Aldebaron, and Kazbourne. My order got word that a priest of my kind was requested and I was then chosen...actually, I volunteered."

As the two got closer to the cart of bodies Wolf stood up to greet his kindred friend.
Wildfire

Johan

"There are other priests showing up?" Maccabeus asked. "I actually came here more or less of my own accord. I actually know nothing of other priests arriving. Where have you all been, anyway? Do you leave Threshold every Rynnyx?"

Wildfire

"Aye, it is. Have you heard anything about when the other Priests are supposed to show up? I assume that you're one of them, yes?" Severen inquired
Wildfire

Johan

"Of course I'll come to keep a sharp eye upon you." Maccabeus jested as he followed the lean priest from the councillor's office. "It's a good thing that it's not far between here and where we need to be." He picked up his stride to keep pace with Servern as they went out into the cool night.

Wildfire

Severen looked from Maccabeus to Julius and said, "He brings a good point. One that I should have. The teeth from these creatures break off and lodge into what is left of a carcass and will then fester. I must look over the bodies of your neighbors to find any such beastly seeds. The bodies will then be able to have any sort of rites performed on them. Well, what rites would have been performed. I doubt very much that the locals would want me to perform death rituals on their friends and family. If you'll excuse me, I must go search over the other bodies for broken teeth. Hopefully it's not too late...Maccabeus would you care to join me?"

Julius says, "I'll keep the teeth here for now until you come back."
Wildfire

Johan

"This is a night for misunderstanding." Maccabeus apologized. "I would think that the assassins can be burned and no one would care. I had thought that the villagers who were killed by the foul carrion-eaters had also to be burned. Forgive my ignorance, but that was how I thought it to be. If that's not the case, then we burn the assassins and the carrion-eaters (and their teeth), but are there specific rites to be brought to bear upon the lost villagers?" Maccabeus looked back and forth between the two taller men as he spoke, looking for indications of comprehension and agreement or disagreement.

Wildfire

Julius said, "People? Burn what people? And what about the teeth? Do those get burned as well?"

Severen spoke up, "Excuse me Julius, I didn't make myself clear enough. The teeth are to be burned and the people that Maccabeus was referring to I believe are the assassins that were killed in the skirmish upon the cliff. Is that right Maccabeus? That's what you meant?"
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus blinked hard several times, and then said "Huh? Whu? Where am I?" He laughed mischievously. "Actually, that's true." He said, still chuckling. "Severen and I pulled the teeth from those foul abhoritions, and they are here in this bag. As for what might have happened had we not done that, I don't know."

"From what I understand now, the beasts and people are to be burned - in separate fires, of course - for purification; is there any issue with doing this?"