- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Calling upon a Friend

Started by Wildfire, March 13, 2006, 08:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"In this business, you never really have a day of, eh?" Maccabeus observed. "Ah, nonetheless, we should make a plan here and now. I should be finished with Ashe later today; what say that I meet you back here tonight, and we'll go to the Ring, and then hunt from there? If you can't make it tonight, Wolf can come and fetch you there tomorrow night? What say you?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Kym comes back over to the table and says, "Dad, it seems to me that he's following the same path as his Great Sire, wouldn't you say?"

"Aye that he is, my girl. Aye that he is." Zarion replied.

"Well, they're not actually MY pack. They hunt with me almost always. Perhaps it's because I reared the pack leader when he was a pup. I found him cold and freezing in the snow when his mother was slain. I took him in and he regards me as his mother and part of the pack. Sweet, huh? I love that guy...he'll always be my baby. To answer your question though, I'm sure they'd howl at the opportunity! Even just to be in the company of your devilishly handsome brother over there! I'm sure that more than a few of the she-wolves in the pack would entertain his...affections. When we go hunting I'll bring them...by. Actually,...well, I don't know where the Ring is. Maybe in the next few days you could take us there so I know the way? THEN I'll bring them by. Or I could call for them right...no. That's probably not the best...Dad? Would it be okay to call for them?"

Zarion looked at Ashe who was standing by the door. "Ah, well...not now. Maccabeus and Ashe have some things to tend to. A few days from now would be better."

"Okay." Kym looks back to Maccabeus and continues, "A few days from now would be better. Or tomorrow if your not busy...or whenever is best for you. Sound good?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

"Absolutely." Maccabeus agreed enthusiastically. "In fact, Kym, did I just hear the local wolf pack referred to as "your" pack? I ask because I was just talking to Ashe about the possibility of inviting the pack back to the Ring, where they might be able to help Wolf and me protect that area. They perhaps could use the area as a den of sorts, and range through the forest from there, but in times when I have to be away, it'd be a warm comfort to me to have such a formidable and honorable guard to leave behind. Do you think they'd feel welcome enough to visit Wolf and me and talk about it? I'd probably need your help in talking with them; I can do it, but I'm really very limited in my ability to communicate with them. I can only do so for a short while each day before my voice gives out."

Wildfire

Zarion laughed heartily, "It's fresh water catfish."

Zarion peers around the table and sees Wolf licking the plate his food was on. "Ah, that should fill the belly of the boy! He is truly spectacular, Maccabeus. He must make a fine companion and brother."

Zarion took a few bites of his fish and a drink of water. A few of the patrons came down from their rooms and sat at a table on the far side of the common room. Even in the day the room had a dusky appearance and the features of the folks were hard to distinguish.

Kym says, "Well, that's my cue. Sorry gentlemen, but I must tend to business. Maccabeus, don't forget that were going hunting, okay?"

Ashe then says, "Yeah, Zarion, we must be going to. The rest of the Protectorate may be arriving some time today and they may need Maccbeus's and my help."

Zarion replies, "Well then, do what you must. Maccabeus, please visit us again as you are always welcome here. By the way, would it be too much trouble for Kym and myself to visit the legendary Ring of Mists? Ashe tells me that you're it's protector...that's quite an honor."
Wildfire

Johan

Quote from: wildfireZarion looks to Maccabeus, "And how are you finding Threshold my wolf brother?"

"Well," Maccabeus swallowed a piece of fish and picked up a crust of bread. "I generally get to the road and bank southerly." He chuckled at his own joke.

"Actually, my exposure has been somewhat limited, but the places and events that I've borne witness to have been truly spectacular. Threshold seems to be one of the most blessed places in Elsenban. For instance, I've never encountered such delectable faire; what type of fish is this?"

Wildfire

[color=green:34790e889e]OOC: Well, I'll boost it along...[/color]

Zarion came out from the kitchen. Ashe was always amazed that such a large man with rough, wolf related features could prepare food of such a delicate nature. "Zarion," Ashe says, "the fish is worthy of the gods!"

"I'm glad you like it" he replies "Kym cought them this morning. She's a much better hunter than a fisher...normally. Of course when she hunts she has the help of her pack. They've taken quit a liking to her ever since she was belt height."

Zarion looks to Maccabeus, "And how are you finding Threshold my wolf brother?"
Wildfire

Johan

[color=green:e422b04fae]Not really sure where this wants to go...[/color]

Wildfire

[color=green:1d4fb79480]Johan?[/color]
Wildfire

Wildfire

Ashe scooped a big forkfull of fish into his mouth and savors the taste of it. "MMM...this is perfection! Zarion, get out her before you fish goes cold!"

He takes a large gulp of water and says, "Yep. we're talking about my bear. I have reservations about bringing him into town so I have to go see him. People might get nervous if he roams around here."
Wildfire

Johan

[color=green:c691142390]Thanks! To be honest, Macc is developing as I go along. He's starting to get so much back material, I'm going to have to sew it all together just to make sure that details work well together.

I'm also hoping for an alt session that he can participate in with your alt.

After Kit is dead, of course, but that doesn't seem long in the coming.[/color] :twisted:

Dray

[color=green:4e92acf8d2][Note #1: Plainstrider reference was perfect. Note #2: What an incredibly vivid and beautifully detailed character. You have given me a new respect for the race of gnome. Well done.][/color]

Johan

"As you say 'hibernation', I would hazard a guess that we're talking about a bear, yes?" Maccabeus asked innocently. "Otherwise I might have thought he was a skunk, but technically speaking, they don't hibernate." He grinned impishly at the elder as he stuffed a piece of fish into his mouth.

"Ummm..." He mumbled around the food. "This is wonderful. What kind of fish did you say it was?"

Wildfire

Ashe sat and listened to Maccabeus utterly mesmerized. He knew that he was indeed in the company of great lineage. He didn't know how to respond to the little fellow's tale.

"You must be very proud of your heritage. As well you should be. It is no accident that you set out at the divergance of Istisha and that it again diverged upon the revelation of the Ring of Mist. All things are connected in one way or another. Some are subtle and secret...others not so much. She sounds as if she's wise beyond her years."

Ashe sees that Kym is bringing out four plates of fish and plate piled high with meat.

"Well, I hope you boys are hungry. There's enough food to feed the army of Kurr here."

She sets the plates down and immediately places one in front of Wolf who begins to greedily eat his food in large bites. Upon smelling the fish, Ashe's stomach grumbles so that everyone hears it. Wolf actually stops for a second and looks around for where the noise came from.

Ashe looks about innocently surprised and says, "Sounds like there's a clan of dwarves making a fuss outside the door!"

"Someday,"Ashe says picking up his fork to start eating "I shall have to introduce you two to my large furry friend. He is to me as Wolf is to you."

Kym perks up and says, "How is the big bruiser anyway?"

"Oh, he's doing okay. He's getting older though. His hibernations last longer now. By the way Kym, I'll be needing to bring him some spare bones and meats and such. He's about due to wake up any day now."
Wildfire

Johan

?Well, as I had mentioned briefly before, when you become one with Mahiya ? when you answer Her call, you are not of a clan anymore; you are Mahiya's Gnarcheon - her favored child. Brothers like you and I, and sisters like Shankaria no longer hold any clan affiliation, so in that respect Shankaria is not ?my clan?s? wisdomspeaker.

That said, she is indeed wise, and she is often council to all Gnarcheon throughout the Dale. She is considered by many to be Torqaniq, which is the most revered of all Gnarcheon and sort of serves as the Dale?s most holy mortal.

You know how a true leader will simply do what they think needs to be done, and people just follow naturally? It?s not like any specific person or body has proclaimed that this person is the leader, it is just widely accepted that they are? That?s how it is with Torqaniq. No one actually says ?from this day forth, ye shall be??. It just happens when everyone in the Dale is in agreement that you are Torqaniq. The only people who think that Shankaria is not Torqaniq are people who have not met her.

She is the most learned person that I have ever met. I once was with her in the north reaches when we stumbled upon a shadewolf attack upon a smallish clan of the mudfoot tribe in progress. She turned me into a tree, then turned herself into a fireball and killed the entire pack of shadewolves in no time at all. She then came to stand in the middle of the victims (there had to be nearly two score of them) and healed them all at the same time! She was then able to actually regrow one of the fellow?s legs that had been shredded by one of the foullings.

Within a quarter hand, that little clan of gnomes went from obliterated to perfectly hale. It was truly one of the most amazing things that I?ve witnessed in my life. The Divinities whisper in her ears.

As to how it came to be that I was apprenticed to her, I did ask her that once. From my perspective, my grandsire had simply said that when it was time, it would be so. And so it was. It never occurred to me that it might not come to be. Shankaria would never speak of it really, she just said that it was so, and so it was.

But I?ll tell you my thinking: I think that she and my grandsire are wed. I think that Shankaria is my Grandmatron. You know how when you know someone, and they talk about certain things, you can read their emotions as well as hear their words? Well, in the few times when Shankaria spoke of my Grandsire, her words were non-committal, but her body spoke loudly of deep love. And she knew things of my family and lineage that you would only expect of family members. I?m not saying that she couldn?t have known otherwise, but I do have that strong suspicion.

And it makes sense to me. Between my Grandsire and Shankaria, I?ve been taught by the greatest mortal hunter the Dale has ever produced and by the greatest and most revered Gnarcheon as well. The investment that was placed in me is different from any others from the Dale. Gnarcheon are usually inducted earlier than I was. I was taught to hunt, which Gnarcheon are not. Not only to hunt, but for the specific hunting of the foullings. My grandsire spent many cycles teaching me the ways of the shadewolves and how to best kill them. Shankaria had mentioned once that it was unfortunate that this training had eaten into the time that I might otherwise have spent learning to be closer to Mahiya, but that it couldn?t be helped. She had murmured (although I heard her before she realized that she was speaking) that Istisha had a different plan for me, and that my Grandsire?s skills needed melding with hers.

It seems to me that this is why she told me to come this way last Rynnyx, after Istisha had veered from her course. We were atop a ruined tor on that night, and after Istisha?s divergence, Shankaria looked to me and said ?It is time, Maccabeus. Istisha calls for you. Follow the mountains southerly until you and Wolf come upon the town of Threshold. Take my teachings and my love.? Then she kissed me upon my forehead and simply vanished into smoke. Or steam. I was so flustered that I didn?t have the opportunity to check, she had simply dissipated.

And, a season and a half later, here I am.?

?Goodness, listen to me go on!? He exclaimed. ?Such a long answer for such a simple question. I am sorry.?

Johan

[color=green:e3f6f7d040]I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just trying to figure out:

1) The answer
2) How to provide that answer with fewer than 17,000 words[/color]