- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Satyr tracks (Completed)

Started by Griznuq, February 08, 2008, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

Two weeks since leaving the Ironbark forest and Maragarn found the first sign of his people's passing through the area. Of course, he'd known he'd wait about that long at least, since this would be where they were when he left.

The lack of growth in the circles where they'd set their tents told him little in regards to how long they'd been gone, only just that they were in fact, gone.

This realization drove home the fact that this was the first time that Maragarn truely didn't know where his family was.

There on the ground was the skull of a goat, and it was facing north. This skull was too clean and white to have died and decayed. This was here for a reason. Maragarn knew it faced the direction his tribe had gone.
=]V[=

Chassic

... and beside the goat skull was a human skull. It too faced north.

"Enough with the idle chit chat you two", said Charon as he knelt beside the skulls. "We've got important work ahead of us". Charon picked up the human skull. "Now how did you get out of my satchel this time, Collinsworth?"

Wildfire

Maragarn eyed Charon curiously. He still was not able to place a finger on the oddity of this man but he seemed to have a rather cozy feeling about death.

Maragarn's mind came in to focus. His skills in running the wilds would now be put the test. If he got lost his grandsire would perish. He would be leading this group to where they had to go. This was a position he was outrageously uncomfortable with. He had never led a hunting party in his own tribe and now he had to lead near strangers. This was perhaps a chance to prove the worth of his race. His mind focused tightly.

Maragarn crouched down and faced the exact direction the skull was "looking". He traced a line with his finger across the top of the goat skull and lined it up with a tree beyond to mark a straight line in a northerly direction. Swiftness getting the better of him, he stood up and pointed his spear, "North...my tribe went North. We can stay here and rest the night since it's a proven spot or we can strike further on." Maragarn looked to the others for a sense of approval.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

Eswarth was getting used to many of the mannerisms of his companions, but other aspect were still just a little much. He pretended to not notice Charron's affinity for Collinsworth or his fetish for the dead.

Camp here or move forward? Well, it seemed to Eswarth that there was truly little choice.

"We'd best move forward for the few hands of light that we yet have. That much closer to your goals."

He let the suggestion hang in the air. In the final analysis, this decision was Maragrarn's to make; he alone among the new group would be impacted by the final result of this quest.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Chassic

"I agree with Eswarth," said Charon. "I've already seen more death than I care to since my journey started. It would be nice to actually prevent one. I get few opportunities to do that in my line of work."

Johan

Charron's words hung upon Eswarth for a bit longer than one might expect. It was a telling statement, and although Eswarth was aware that he wasn't fully versed in the persons around him, this one sentence was telling to the Centaur.

Even weeks of exposure weren't enough to delve the complete character of a person. This little human was indeed deeper than one might expect after only a fortnight or two.

Eswarth wondered if the others were as introspective regarding each other.

Griznuq

Two days passed, and just as Maragarn was beginning to doubt that he'd made the right descision, the feint smell of smoke whafted through the air, teasing his nose. Could only be a short ways off by now, and the timing was good, as the sun was close to touching the western horizon.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Maragarn lifted his nose and took in the scent of the fire. He closed his eyes and found comfort in it for it was the smell of home. He twitched at the prospect of seeing his grandsire. He opened his eyes and began to trot.

"This way...my tribe is this way!" he said pointing in the direction of the smokey scent. He hoisted the spear from his back and began to trot. During his travels to and from the Centaur city he found that running the wilds with a spear in his hand seemed more natural. "It's not too much further!"
Wildfire

Chassic

Charon was glad for Maragarn that they had finally reached his tribe. Glad, too, that his grandfather would be healed by the roots he carried. However, Charon was beginning to get very uncomfortable at the thought of meeting Maragarn's entire tribe. Maybe it was all the time he had been spending out in the wild this past few weeks. Maybe he had been away from Embar for so long that his tolerance for being around large groups of people had been reduced. Whatever the reason, Charon was not reacting well to the thought of what lay ahead. His discomfort was evident by the slowing of his pace. Charon slipped to the back of the group, trailing them a short distance. His breath became short and his eyes darted back and forth, sure signs of an impending anxiety attack. "Uh oh," thought Charon. "It's been a while since it was this bad."

Griznuq

Spot check, DC10 and you notice Charron's anxiety attack!
=]V[=

Dray

Fir'ath slowed Mithril's pace and turned the great silver warhorse so as he could turn his own head and look back at the struggling Charon.

'For once', he thought, 'I will meet a tribe of people just like my own. Outcasts accept within the comfort of their own people'. And he wondered what similiarities the Satyr and Raptoran shared because of it.

But as he looked back at the hyperventilating Charon, he felt even more invigorated and free as obviously Charon felt put upon and trapped. Fir'Ath stretch his massive wingspan into the air, his image made greater by powerful trotting animal beneath him.

'How the unchanged were so small compared to the new races', he thought.

He chuckled and asked Charon, "Coming Deathwalker?"

Chassic

"Coming ... I'm ... just a little ... winded," said Charon. "Maybe I'll ... maybe I'll just rest here while you folks go on ahead." Charon looked around desperately for something. "Yes, maybe I'll just camp here for the night . Yes ... yes, this is an excellent spot. Perfect for me, really. You can come and get me in the morning when we head out." Charon forced an uncomfortable smile and nodded his head rapidly.

Johan

Pshyeah...with *my* spot checks? I'm lucky to know that we're in a forest!

Eswarth kept pace with Maragarn as the little Satyr picked up his pace. He noted that the others were falling a bit behind, but as they were together, and Eswarth was near to Maragarn, the centaur figured that no one was left to their own. All would be well.

Eswarth was sure to remain just a bit behind Maragarn as they cantered through the forest. He noted humorously that the satyr had a way of going under obstacles that Eswarth himself needed to either go over or around.

Eswarth was sure that Maragarn was actually happy.

Dray

"Have it your way then human," Fir"ath replied with a smirk.

As he turned he was pleasantly surprised at how much distance was between him and the rest of the group.

"Excellent time for a gallop, don't you think Mithril? Perhaps we can overshoot that quick little Satyr!" and with that they were off, chunks of earth launched back as Mithril exploded into a full charge.

Wildfire

Maragarn quickened his pace and occasionally lept into the air! This was a fine day indeed. Not only would he save his grandfather but his companions would meet his tribe...one of them being a centaur.

As Fir'ath and Mithril charged past him, Maragrn became acutely aware that he was uncertain as to how well his friends would be received by the tribe. Certainly Eswarth would be revered but the others might be viewed as intruders without Maragarn leading the way.

Although Maragrn walked faster than most two-leggeds he had no chance of catching a horse. "Fir'ath! Wait! Don't go into the camp!" Maragrn cried out hoping that he could be heard.
Wildfire