- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Critical Dice Rolls

Started by Blackspear, January 13, 2006, 01:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackspear

Thanks to Wildfire and Johan for some great additions to our House Rules options:

Critical Hits:
Per the D&D rules a critical hit is a natural roll within the threat range and then another successive hit. I'm going to add that each successive hit within the threat range adds another die of damage.

example: Miranda is using a scimitar in a scrape with an Ogre. It's critical threat range is 18-20/x2. She hits with a natural 19. She follows up to see if it's a critical and rolls an 18. Normally the critical would end there. However, in my game it will continue on. So the next roll she gets is a 20. Miranda is happy and will roll to hit again. She rolls a 16 ending her critical spree. So, in total the damge that she would deal would be x3 (x2 for the initial crit roll, x3 for the roll of 20; the roll of 16 was out of her threat range for another critical. Only hits within the threat range can add another die to the damage).

Critical Miss:
So as has been done in the past, with acceptance I might add, is that a roll of a 1 poses a threat to a critical miss. A successive miss means a reduction of 4 to one's initiative for the following round. I would like to add that each successive miss will pose an additional reduction of 4 to initiative. Going into negative on initiative means losing the weapon giving the opponent an attack of opportunity (this is to reflect the fumbling nature that a critical miss puts a character into). The weaponless individual can then draw another weapon the following round at the expense of a move action.

Critical Success: if you roll a natural 20 on any given skill, you roll again. If that second roll would be a successful one, then you have garnered a critical success. If that second roll would not be a successful one, then you now have a Success.

A Critical Success on a Heal check is additional healing that occurs. A critical opposed skill check adds 2 to your opponent's DC (for instance if you're hiding (skill modifier = 5), and roll a critical success, your oponent's spot DC is going to be 27, or 2 above the modified 25 that you rolled).

Critical Failure: if you roll a natural 1 on any given skill, you roll again. If that second roll would be a successful one, then you have garnered a Failure. If that second roll would not be a successful one, then you now have a Critical Failure

A Critical Failure on a Heal check is reduced healing that ocurrs (instead of 1+ CN bonus in the event of a success, it is now CN bonus -1 - you actually did damage to your patient).

Critical Failures for other skill rolls will be handled on an as-needed basis. Rest assured that something bad will happen.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...