- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Paying old dues

Started by Griznuq, November 12, 2007, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"Sher." Brecht responded. "Look me up later. I'm off duty after dark; we'll sup together, maybe!." Brescht slapped Belwar on the shoulder affectionately as the dwarf started off towards the stables.

Brescht strode towards the inner bailey.

Presuming the Belwar is now headed for the stables...let me know and we can change this thread to suit.

The stables were lined along the wall that faced the front gate of the keep.

The front gate was alive, but relatively quiet. Alive, in that there were plenty of soldiers both above and below, and the gate itself was opened to allow passage in and out. Quiet in that no one was really going in nor out and the soldiers who were there looked ornamental in the tranquil mid-morning sun.

There were a few dozen stalls to these stables, and they were slightly crowded. Above those stalls was a loft where lots of hay was stored.

The smells and sounds of horse were strong here.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Griznuq

Belwar's nose wrinkled a bit. Why couldn't these things smell better?

Since coming to the surface, the smells of things was one of the most difficult to get used to. In the dark tunnels below the serface, there were far fewer smells.

Sounds were another matter entirely. Sounds that could travel unmolested in the open air sounded much different than the sounds he'd grown with.

That's an interesting thought... I wonder how much different they'd be... I image some sounds would get lost in the twists and turns of the tunnels, where others would travel further becuase of the tunnels... Perhaps I sould do some homework on that before describing it in a post, eh? :)

Belwar scanned the area for someone who fit the description of this Farramore fellow.
=]V[=

Johan

Belwar's keen eyes scanned the area pointedly. There were really quite a few folks about. Young men tending the horses, feeding and watering them, combing the equine hair.

There were several hues of soldier too; Belwar couldn't readily classify them, not being familliar with human soldierly customs, but from the differences that he saw here (cleanliness of arms and armor, rigid posture versus slightly slack...) he would have concluded from his experience in Eastwold that there were at least three ranks present, from Brountuk (Guard) to Fearntuk (Lieutenant) or so.

The owner of the weapons shop was here too. It appeared that the chubby old human was also a blacksmith, as he was now shodding one of the horses that were stabled here.

As Belwar suveyed the courtyard, it ocurred to him that he didn't know exactly what he was looking for; he had never gotten any description of Farramore...

Griznuq

"Hrmp," Belwar snorted. Perhaps the blacksmith would know.

He waited for the fellow to let the horse's leg touch back down to the ground before inturrupting. How someone could work so closely to the back end of a horse, Belwar could not say.

"Pardon master smith, I wonder if I might have a quick word with ye?"
=]V[=

Johan

"Eh?" The smith replied, strightening up from his toil. "Oh, aye. Whut c'n I do fer ye, Mast'r dwarf?" He whiped his white whispy hair back from his brow as he regarded Belwar.

Griznuq

"Sorry to interrupt I'm just lookin fer someone I was told sleeps with the horses," Belwar tried to say it without making it sound odd. "A fella by the name Farramore. I was hopin ye may know him."
=]V[=

Johan

The old man's brow furrowed as he Belwar spoke. "Sleeps wit' th' harses?" He echoed, then seemed to consider the notion. "Well, th' Keep's a-fillin' up lately. Might be th'rs na room a' th' inn...I s'pose." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself. "But I don' know anyone by tha' name, sir." He said at last, apologetically.

"I know Farramore." A new voice - low, quiet, and smooth - said from the edge of the stable. Belwar turned to see a tall, lanky human rounding the corner of the stables. This man was poorly dressed in leather britches and a long, dirty tunic. There was dirt and twigs clinging to his olive cloak. His hard, angular features were shadowed under a few day's worth of stubble and his head was topped with very short black hair. He was young for a griznuq; he regarded Belwar with sharp brown eyes as he ate the remains of a meat sandwich. In his hand was a bottle that the inn used to serve its ales.

"You looking for Farramore, Belwar?" He asked around his food.

"Belwar?" The old smith seemed to just realize to whom he was speaking. "Ach!" He slapped himself in the forehead. "Hang me f'r a ninny! Um sorry, Belwar...I didn't realize tha' I wuz talkin' to ye, but who else culd ye ha' been? Ahm Pike." He extended his thick hammy fist in the greeting of humans. "I run th' weap'n shop an' smith here. Anything ye'd like I c'n do fer ye, jest le' me know." He smiled broadly at Belwar.

Griznuq

"Ah," Belwar started, not sure who to answer first. He decided to answer both at the same time. "I am indeed, ah, both Belwar and looking for Farramore." He turned to the young fellow and the blacksmith in kind.

"I shall likely be takin ye up on that offer sir." Belwar returned the handshake. He made it a point to squeeze only as hard as the smith. "No need ta be sorry though," he said to the blacksmith. "Just simple dwarf here." Wanting to change the subject, Belwar stepped toward the dirty griznuq in mid sentence. "I was told I might find him here."
=]V[=

Johan

The tall human washed his sandwich down with a swig of his drink, spilling more than a little around his chin as he did. He wiped his chin with the back of his hand and gazed expressionlessly at Belwar.

"Ye've found him, then." He said quietly. "What can I do for ye?" He leaned his shoulder easily into the frame of the stables as he talked.

Griznuq

Belwar suppressed a grimace Was this what he looked like after a few?

"Excellent," Belwar said. "I have an interest in something I've heard. Coris and lady Corryn tell me you know the location of what may be an ancient temple to Moradin. I'd very much like to see this."
=]V[=

Johan

Farramore watched Belwar impassively as the dwarf spoke. "When do you want to go?" He asked without preamble. "I can take you there, although I wouldn't want to have to describe the way. Truth is, I'll be feeling my way there, so I don't think that I could explain it well if I wanted to. We can go right now, if you'd like."

Griznuq

Belwar almost blurted out his agreement, but stopped short.

"Well, I've got a thing or two ta handle tonight, and I'd like to see if the rest of the group would like to come too. Shouldn't be selfish with somthin of this importance!"

Belwar knew it might not be as exciting to the rest of the crew, but one never knew. "First thing in the mornin, if ye don't mind?"
=]V[=

Johan

Farramore nodded agreeably. "Yep." He said. "I'll be ready at firs' light. It'll take us the better of the day ta git there. We c'n meet right here." He pointed at the ground at his feet for emphasis.

Griznuq

"Very good," Belwar said with a nod. The fellow wasn't very interesting outside of the fact that he knew the location of something that Belwar wanted.

"I must make preparations," Belwar stated simply as he dipped a quick bow of departure.

"Master Pike," Belwar regarded the smith with a nod as well.
=]V[=

Johan

You done with this thread, Griz?