- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

12.22.2132 - Interview in ShantyTown

Started by Dray, March 30, 2008, 09:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"It's very kind of you to go out of your way for a stranger." Temmit said. "I thank you kindly. And by all means, I am in no hurry this morning: take your time." He felt a little guilty saying as much, since both Renee and Emma were waiting outside for him to return, but these things could not be rushed.

Temmit forced himself to scan the rest of his environment...you never knew what you might see for simple looking.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

As Temmit scanned the wall again, an idea of continuity amongst the items formed in his mind, it was only when he came across an old framed certificate that his idea was verified.

FIRST PRIZE – JUNIORS TINK CONTEST
MIA PRESCOTT
TINKERER'S GUILD FAIR – 2128
Sponsor: James Prescott

It appeared to Temmit that Mia had some craftsman in the family and she had picked up the trade, thus explaining the wall. Unfortunately no other items appeared to be of unique interest, but his heart still pounded at the discovery of the medallion.

This excitement caused him to jump a bit when the Mia's door swung open wide and a very elaborately dressed Mia stood within it. From head to toe she was dressed in dark silk fabric, the color of midnight blue with small gold stars. Her feet and mid-riff were bare and the large looped earrings were now framed by her hair which had been pulled in length from the skil headwrap.

The entire ensemble had a bit of a racy look for one so young, but Temmit didn't forget what town he stood in, knowing that the more daring her outfit, the most likely her business was better with the soldiers.

The smell of incense was now coming from the room.

"I don't usually get classmates from school. My name is Mia Prescott, age 13, The Artificers House, very nice to meet you," she said politely. Temmit noted that she had a low voice for a girl, not a baritone, but low nevertheless.

Johan

Temmit turned to face Mia propely as he made his introduction. "It is my honor to meet you, Mia. I am Temmit Janalinus, age 15, The Scribes, and I apologize for distrubing your weekend morning."

He pointed a thumb at the certificate. "You won this at such a young age? Congratulations. Did you make everything here?" He asked matter-of-factly.

Dray

"I did indeed," Mia said proudly and came into the corridor. She looked at the wall with him and smiled, a bit in embarrassment. "A lot of this is really just sentimental stuff. Well, not all of its mine though, some of it was made by my grandfather."

The Aunt tried to sneak by them without distracting them away from the wall discussion, a bit of a tough task in the narrow corridor, considering she was a big woman with a large platter of food.

"You kids keep right on talking, I will set this platter down in Mia's room," she said. When she got to the other side of Mia and was at her back, she motioned back towards Temmit, getting his attention and pointing out 'Mia's side of the plate'. Temmit tried not to laugh.

Johan

"No need to be shy." Temmit said. "If you enjoy making things, then you should make things. We all of us have talents that we need to use, or else they're just wasted."

He looked again at the wall. "And what of this copper medallion? This must be one of your more recent creations; it's quite lovely. It's clear that your skills are growing."

Dray

"That old thing? No, that isn't my work, I probably could make a good copy of it though," she said, leaning down to peer at it more closely. It was as if she hadn't looked at it for years.

"It's actually quite old, passed down thru my mother's side of the family until my grandfather gave it to me of course," she said, standing back up. She shrugged, "just an odd relic."

"Want to go eat?" she asked with enthusiastic smile.

Johan

Temmit turned to her and smiled. "Absolutely!" He said enthusiastically. "Tell me though: do you feed everyone who walks through this door? Or perhaps I only arrived at a convenient moment?"

Dray

"Two things is my guess. One, is your impeccable timing, as you imply and..." Mia caught herself.

Temmit waited patiently.

"Well," she paused, "well I don't get to see a lot of boys...erm I mean kids my own age and my Auntie is always riding me about it."

He could tell she flustered a bit easy.

"Come into my parlor," she said with dramatic flare, trying to change the subject while she spun around to open the door.

Past the door was a very small bedroom, but it looked like the young lass had done everything she possibly could, with whatever she could afford, to make it pleasant. Silk curtains, of hot pink in color inlaid with gold trim, hung by the ceiling and very close to where a circular pine table with two chairs stood near the door. On the table was not only burning incense sticks, but breakfast as well, the two different smells making a bit of a mess of the air.

Beyond a small slit in the curtains and just behind them appeared to be a cot with  folded blankets for a mattress.

As Mia entered the room she did a curious thing, she turned the platter 180 degrees on the table and then sat down, giving Temmit a challenging smile as she did so.

At the center of the table was the only item that looked out of place in the house with limited means. A 6" diameter glass ball sat in a wonderful setting of polished steel that resembled a knotted root. The crystal globe was so flawless it caught Temmit's attention for more than a few moments. It looked very valuable.

Mia picked up a fork and started to eat her eggs.

"We don't often get customers this early, they usually don't start coming in until just before mid-day," she said in between bites.

Johan

Temmit's eyebrow rose as a smile crept across his face. "In truth, Mia, it doesn't matter to me much what I eat." He picked up the fork left there for him and ate a small bit of egg. "Although this is quite tasty. Tell me," he said around the eggs. "How is it that you came to be in this business? Was it, too, handed down through the family?"

At this point, Temmit will use his Psionic Focus to hide the fact that he's going to use Empathy.

Dray

Mia smiled knowingly. "It's the second sausage from the right, that is the one she dropped. My Auntie Deidra is very easy to read."

She bit into a piece of toast and after swallowing it down answered his question. Temmit was getting a sense of happiness and contentment from the girl, but although she had a calm exterior, she seemed to be slightly nervous.

"Two summers ago, my grandfather showed me this crystal ball from his collection. and I played a game where I was the Great Mandini, the famous fortune teller from the play. Well, the next day, the fortune I had given to him came true," she said with a raised eyebrow.

"So I tried it on some folks around town afterwards with amazing success and 'snap', here I am, Mia the Fortune Teller," she smiled and flicked the offending sausage off the plate just as Auntie Deedra came in.

Deidra put two mugs of coffee down, picked the sausage up off the table and walked back out while chewing it down. She left the door open as she departed to the kitchen.

Johan

"Coffee." Temmit leered. "Thank you, ma'am." He put a small clump of egg onto a piece of toast and folded it to eat while he asked his next question.

"You have a true gift then. I wonder: Have you ever told you own fortune?" He gazed into her eyes while he chewed and poised the coffee cup for drinking, all the while continuing to read her emotions.

Dray

Temmit didn't need a crystal ball for her emotional response to his latest query, she turned scarlet red.

Slightly choking on a bit of food she replied, "..um....every morning."

Dray

Temmit didn't need a crystal ball for her emotional response to his latest query, she turned scarlet red.

Slightly choking on a bit of food she replied, "..um....every morning."

Johan

Temmit smiled, and also became a little embarrassed. "I'm sorry." He said as he drank, "I don't mean to put you on the spot. "

Temmit regarded her for a moment. "You know what? I'm supposed to meet a couple of my friends nearby soon. Would you like to come along? It's just a morning walk and talk; I feel like you would fit right in with them."

Still reading emotions!

Dray

The change of subject ended the embarrassment like magic. She finished the last bite of her second piece of toast.

"Sure, like I said, business doesn't pick up till mid-day anyway."

She rubbed her hands together to warm them up in the slightly cold room. "We should get your future told then, if you are in a bit of a hurry we can skip the ten turns of theater that isn't necessary and go right to the good stuff," she said and pushed the platter off to the side.

Sitting up straight she gazed into the crystal ball and then gently touched each side of it with her finger tips. Closing her eyes she simply said, "Greetings again to the spirit of the crystal. I have a boy named Temmit..." she interrupted herself and opened one eye to question him.

"Janalinus" Temmit answered.

She closed her eye and continued, "...Janalinus, age 15, The Scribes. He comes to me seeking his fortune."

With that, she was quiet, nothing strange occurred, no voices came out of the walls, no lights emitted from her eyes, no mist came from the crystal ball. Temmit wondered if he should have insisted on the theater.

After not even a turn she opened her eyes, put her hands down and smiled.

"What the crystal says to me is often cryptic, but sometimes the words are immediately quite meaningful to the receiver of the prophecy," she said. "I have receive feedback from customers quite often recently, it appears that the words often become verified within a day."

Temmit politely nodded, a silent request to state the words.

"The crystal said, One will lead to hope, another will lead to laughter, and one will lead to danger," she said and simply looked at him. It was her turn to await him for a reaction.