- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Wolves on the Hunt

Started by Wildfire, June 27, 2006, 08:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"Ach! What a ninny I am!" Maccabeus said ruefully. "I had been thinking all along that these sacrificed soldiers were of a mind with the practitioners of the rite! No, though, true? This is a rite o' the Ashlords, who used Shadowriders fer their sacrifices!" He smacked his little forehead. As he came to grips with the new theories growing, Maccabeus slipped once again towards his native brogue.

"As to wha' this rite truly does, though, we don' really know, yeah? Could ha' been tha' they wuz bringin' sum beastie inna being, or jus' sacrificin' th' rid'rs ta eat Mahiya...we jus' don' know, eh? An' then, where'd they git to? Where might they be now? How does we trak'em? I need ta learn on these foullings tha' I might fight'em better. Do ya know a bunch on'em Ashe? Can ye teach me?"

He looked up at his mentor and at Kym, both of whom looked down upon the pacing gnome quizzically. "What?" He asked, confused. His brogue had vanished more quickly than it had appeared. "Is that not a good idea? What's wrong?"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Ashe raise his eyebrow and cocked his head, "I'll offer up what I can but you'll probably learn much firsthand as well, Maccabeus...and Kym. Yes, my dear, you're in this now too. I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way though."

"The right performed here was one of pure sacrifice...life eating." Ashe remarked. "Otherwise there would be no bodies. The Ashlords do...recruit...looking to swell their ranks. It's an insidious crime against Mahiya...an infestation if you will. Like boulder rolling down a hill it will only pick up speed. Once someone has been converted there is no salvation. Their soul has been comsumed and lost forever."

Ashe continued on only now he started to pace absentmindedly kicking dust into the stagnant air, "It's that emptiness that makes them so dangerous since they truly have nothing to lose."

Ashe looked around and said, "We should leave this place...and leave it as it is...though that thought sickens me. They may return and if we were to leave any sign of passage it may foil our study of them...of their movements."

Ashe knelt down and placed his hand on Maccabeus's shoulder and said, "You will eventually heal this scare upon Nyx, my friend. It's something you were chosen to do."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

There was wisdom in what Ashe said, but there was unspoken ignorance too. Maccabeus realized that Ashe didn't have all the answers that were needed. These Ashlords couldn't have arrived here coincidentally to everything else that was happening.

Maccabeus had only just arrived, as had much of the Protectorate. Kit had arrived more or less just in time to birth her crystal, and Maccabeus had arrived more or less just in time to assist in that and also to serve as Istisha's instrument for salvation of the Ring. The Shadowriders had just recently arrived as well, and Maal, Laren, Dale, Sayer, Ragnor...all arrived just in time to resist the Shadowriders. This rite, preformed in time with the Blackheart's attempted theft of Kit's crystal.

Coincidence was certainly a reality as one wandered or strode through life. But a high concentration of coincidence could only be design, and pointedly NOT coincidence.

"Let me look about the perimeter for signs of the Ashlord's passage." He suggested at last, realizing that the rain that had fallen only teh day before would likely have erased much of what signs might have been left. "Kym, could you talk to the Alpha and Wolf, let them know that we have a keen interest in these Ashlords? They could help to be our eyes and ears in the forest; they might already know where more sacred sites are, though they likely don't realize that they are sacred."

He considered for a moment. "I think our hunt is abandoned for the day, no?" He noted rather suddenly that Kossuth was riding fairly high. "How long was I away for anyway?" He asked curiously.

Wildfire

Kym was keenly concentrating on the moment and trying to absorb the situation as it hit. Startled she said, "Oh...out...yes, umm about a hand of time. Are you feeling better? Well, you must be. You're up and about."

Kym turned to Alpha and Wolf and in the curious translation told them of the situation. Wolf licked his chops and Maccabeus could tell that it was in anticipation.

After relaying the message Kym smirked and said, "My short friend, I do believe that Alpha and Wolf speak the truth in feeling that our hunt has only begun. Though I would have to say that for this day, it is over. Besides, I'm feeling remarkably tired."

Ashe flately said, "It's this place that's doing that."
Wildfire

Johan

"In truth, my head is buzzing and my eyes are a bit bleary, like I haven't slept in a day or two." Maccabeus answered. "I can't see any sign of the Ashlords' passing here. I can't fathom where they went or anything at all, and I don't know whether that is due to the rain, or the manner in which they move (perhaps they simply melt into the ash at our feet), or my own current lethargy." The little dale gnome sighed disconsolately. "I'm tired of not knowing." He said to no one in particular. "Istisha has laid for me a path of discovery and adventure, and I'm grateful to her for that, but once in a while, I'd like to have an answer instead of a handful of questions." He smiled and shrugged. "All things in time, eh?"

"Let us be away from here. Ashe, my thanks for coming. We will no doubt be learning a fair amount this Brak and Rynnyx. It might perhaps be a good idea to heigh ourselves to the Valley for an acorn sooner rather than later." He moved back towards the direction they came; back towards the few wolves that were left as a rear guard earlier that morning.

Wildfire

Wildfire

Johan

Wildfire

Wildfire

Johan

"I think it no coincidence that any of us are here." Maccabeus responded tiredly. He then fell back to the common tongue to continue. "I think I need to retire to my home for the day. I am growing more fatigued as the moments pass. I realize it's this circle largely, but the last few days have been...active, to say the least." He yawned grandly then.

"P'rhaps this night I'll visit the Hunter's Lodge. Late, if that's agreeable." He climbed wearily upon Wolf's broad back and laid down, his face comfortably settled upon Wolf's neck.

"I've a few questions to ask of yer sire, Kym, and I need some guidance on my drive to get a second acorn from the Valley of Mists." He seemed to be falling asleep upon his brother's furry back. "Bett'r yet, Ah'd bet Master Zarion might like ta vizit th' Ring, eh? Mayhap such talks be best carried out in the privicy of me home? Wha e'er...it'll be as it be...as Istisha an' her fam'ly wishes it be. Mugler b'fuglizer..."

Wildfire

Wildfire