- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Kit's Life

Started by Dray, March 19, 2006, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

[OOC: EDITED by Johan, Wildfire and Dray on Monday 03-20-06]

As Ragnor left, Ashe closed and then bolted the door behind him. When he turned, Jarmok's concern was obvious to him.

"I knew when she had complained six hours ago of back pain that she was in trouble. Damn my blood for letting her out the door! I should've looked out better for her Jarmok." Ashe said as he made his way back to the bed that Kit lay face down upon. Jarmok stared on quizzically.

"She had stated that it was the result of a horse riding injury, which occurred many days ago." He laid a hand upon Kits' right cheek. "I beg to differ young one." He said kindly to his unconscious patient.

He turned his head to Jarmok, "She is burning up." He nodded towards a bench across the room. "Under that bench is a small covered barrel. Please bring it the bed."

Jarmok sprang into action, concerned for his new friend. Peering under the indicated bench, he did indeed find a small barrel there. It was surprisingly heavy as he pulled it out from under the bench, and by the time he had reached Kit's bedside with it, Ashe had already removed her tunic, and had the undergarment untied.

"Her life is far more important than her modesty. Reach under her thigh there and untie her leather skirt."

Jarmok realized that Ashe was correct. In times when one had to choose between saving a friend's life and preserving that friend's modesty, their life was far more important. And Jarmok had precious few real friends. He clumsily felt around where Ashe had indicated and felt a knot of leather. 'Must be It,' he thought.

Jarmok tugged at the loose end, but it did not budge. "Not come off." He said as he reached with his other hand for his hunting knife.

"No, Jarmok." Ashe stayed the outlander's hand. "It's no doubt a sailors knot, she is a clever girl. Pull on the loop instead. It'll come loose" Ashe said as he had already started to examine her back.

Jarmok did so and the knot untied easily. Ashe turned away from his examination and pushed his four fingers under the top of the leather skirt. He deftly pulled down the skirt off of her slight frame, cupping the material between his palm of his hand and his thumb leaving her lower undergarment on.

With Kit exposed in full view, the two tenders could see that something internal was definitively ravaging her body.

She was still convulsing, all of her muscles seemed to be flexing in tight bands across her body as if cramping up. Worse yet, her spine appeared to be stretching towards her head, the vertebrae actually pulling skin and muscle towards it. A pool of bluish-black blood was forming under her skin in an oblong pattern across her lower back, which slightly quivered with the shaking of the muscles around it.

The heat emanating off of her was almost unnatural.

"Yes, she already has a high fever," Ashe said, as if reading Jarmok's mind. "In that barrel are cloths soaked with an ointment that I crafted." As Ashe spoke Jarmok began to remove the cover from the barrel, anticipating the herbalist's instructions. When he had wrested the cover from the barrel, a fine, cool, peppermint mist issued forth.

"That ointment will cool her body down." Ashe continued. "Cover as much of her body as you can with those cloths." Ashe instructed. He then quickly left the bedside to start working at his bench. Jarmok noted that Ashe was surprisingly spry for a man of his years.

"There's an energy coming from her." Ashe spoke, but Jarmok didn't know if the herbalist was talking to him, or whether he was working things out with himself. "It's an energy I've not experienced for many years." Jarmok noted the worry in Ashe's voice.

Jarmok began putting the cloths on Kit, starting with her infected area and working up her back. He looked sadly upon her pretty face and wondered if he would ever see a smile upon it again.

"Why sick?" He asked, a bolus of sadness in his voice.

Ashe sighed heavily and replied, "I wish I knew more. It has something to do with the seers though" The look on Ashe's face was of grim understanding and distant reverie.

Johan

The voice from the crystal laughed darkly. "You are a delusional fool!" It laughed at Maccabeus. "Your words have no power! You cannot banish me!" The dark voice raged. "I will fill this newborn crystal, then everything you stand for, all the false words and lies of gods will be revealed!" The voice then turned its attention soothingly upon Kit. "Let me in, dear child, and you shall control or destroy those that would be your enemies. We will be as one. You will have the power over all living things, let me fill this empty shell with my essence and you will be free of all pain."

Maccabeus was stunned. Not because his words had no effect on the soulless one; he hadn't truly expected to be able to banish him and Maccabeus's words had been intended for Kit more than for this ancient enemy. For a moment he doubted whether this was Zyxu or not. His mind reeled a bit, clinging at last to one realization: this voice was not after Kit, at least not in the first place. He was after the crystal. He begged to be allowed to "fill the crystal".

An image flashed in his mind of Shankaria's early teachings. She had challenged Maccabeus to fill a wooden bowl with water drawn from nowhere. He had at that time great difficulty in calling forth Mahiya's bless to create the water at all; still greater was the control necessary to get the water into the bowl. The lesson, Shankaria had said, was one of control: control of yourself and your surroundings was of paramount import to a Gnarcheon.

He realized that this agent of the nameless one was after control, and while he might have power, he needed to fill his bowl - the crystal - with his own essence in order to gain that control. Maccabeus realized that the crystal wasn't just a crystal. It was a living thing, like a child, and like a child it needed to be nurtured and filled with...character. It should be filled with Kit's character, and not be abducted and filled with villainy!

"Kt!" He picked up the infant crystal and turned back towards the young woman sobbing upon the bed. "Kit! This isn't a crystal, child! It is alive, and it needs to be nourished by its mother! By you, Kit! The soulless one is trying to steal your child Kit! Do not let this liar invade your child! Fill it with your heart, Kit, that it might be used against your enemies for the cause of truth, Paladine, and Mahiya! Let this crystal know that you are here for it, Kit! That will drive the liar Blackheart from you now!" He held the large crystal in his hand as he sat upon the edge of Kit's bed as he spoke to her.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Johan

Maccabeus turned upon the crystal, a fire of delight in his eyes. He laughed thunderously, his voice seemingly not quite his own.

"You speak of lies, Blackheart." He howled. "But it is you who are the liar! It is you who fear! It is you who are ineffectual, Blackheart! Soulless one! If you are truly above Mahiya and Paladine, then you should not need this youngling! I defy you! Bring back her parents now! Why do you need her before you can perform this wondrous feat, I wonder. Is it because you cannot do it at all? Is it because you have no power other than that which other people give to you? HA! You are foiled, soulless one!" Maccabeus was standing taller than ever he had, pointing his sturdy spear at the crystal, the emblem upon his chest blazing with multi-hued anger.

"All you can do is talk, and though the power of your lies is formidable, you are otherwise weak, frightened, and powerless as a new babe! You speak of love as pathetic; words spoken by one who cannot fathom the power of love! Love is your antithesis, and you cannot proffer that which you do not have, and it is your master, unworthy of even a name, who is powerless and ineffectual!"

He called loudly over his shoulder then, saying, "Kitalia, beloved child of Paladine! Hear this black liar and dwell a moment upon its greed, its lust for your soul. He says that he can make you a goddess, but he cannot make even a body for himself! He says that he can bring back your parents, but he cannot bring himself back. He besmirches the names of your mother and father! Believe in yourself, Kitalia, believe in those friends who have already demonstrated the power of their love for you. This weakling is a stranger, but I know that you can feel his salacious lies! I know that deep in your heart and in your soul, that you know that he lies, and I give you the proof that your mind needs to agree with your heart and your soul!"

He turned then once more to the crystal, addressing it in that voice that came from more than his throat. "Your own folly and your own lies have undone you foul one! Now be gone from this place and leave us alone! I banish you in the name of Mahiya and with the aid of her children and her allies!"

Wildfire

"Kit," the crystal flared in an angry glow, "what is mortality compared to immortality? You've been deceived by false beliefs and lies your whole life! What I offer is real. Why honor a god when you can become one? The pitiful charlatan with his whelp and his cheap healing tricks does not understand, he cannot know because he's too blinded by his pathetic love for his ineffectual mother and father of nature. He is just a subject of the cycle. Let me in and you can rise above it! You could have your Mommy back!"

The greed of the Eye was pressing harder on Kit's thoughts. The level of fear in her was reaching new heights as she struggled with many things on many levels. Truly this was her greatest test in her young life.

Ashe barely wiggled a finger on his right hand...but his eyes were wide open.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

Kit reached up an wrapped her hand around the symbol of Paladine her father had given her for her 11th birthday.

All was quiet except some debris that had not yet met its final resting place and the young girls sobs. Maccabeus held his breath while Kit closed her eyes, crying with the hand holding the symbol to her chest.

With a sudden move that made the gnome almost jump out of his skin Kit swiped violently at the shirt and the gem it concealed. The stone flew off the bed and skidded across the floor, reflecting off the wall and skidding to a halt at wolf's feet.

Kit fell to the mattress and cried into the pillow, still clutching her father's gift.

Johan

Maccabeus pulled his sturdy shirt off, baring the now-glowing emblem blazing upon his chest. "NO!" He thundered. "Kit, to say that Mahiya is weak insults her and all the Divinities...even Blessed Paladine! They are not weak and you know it well!" He threw his shirt upon the glowing crystal, subduing its radiant energy.

"Listen to what this foul voice is saying and feel its greed, Kit! It is palpable! It can only be the voice of Zyxu that you hear; the voice of the enemy of Mahiya and of Paladine as well. Zyxu is trying to steal your soul so as to have a mortal host upon this world, and thereby to destroy!" As he spoke he grabbed up the frail-looking symbol of Paladine that depended about her neck. "Zyxu promises happiness but delivers only sorrow; the blasted land is testimony to his unbounded greed! He does not share power! Fear what you hear, Kitalia, for it will prove your undoing and that of all of us as well. Cling to Paladine, Kit. Ally yourself with Mahyia and her children. Be fearful, but be brave and reject the foul creature that invades your mind and your soul! Your mother resides with Paladine now, Kitalia, out of the reach of Zyxu! Go ahead! Ask Paladine himself!" He was shouting now, and holding mere inches in front of her eyes Paladine's symbol: that of a dragon in an "S" shape with outspread wings connected to the concave and convex of the top curve.

As Kit looked upon the holy symbol, Maccabeus's hands once again glowed that green and purple that they had as he called upon Blessed Mahiya once more to mend her broken body.

Dray

Tears streamed suddenly down Kit's cheeks, she began to shiver in terror to the overpowering emotions that threatened to consume her.

But through it all...against the ominous greed of the crystal, the fear that it rapidly built within her, her concern for Dray and the terror of the thoughts of Leech outside the crumbling walls of the apothecary, a single thought surfaced. One that beonged to the little pious innocent child she once was.

All became quiet as the gnome and the human girl locked in a stare.

"Mahiya is not weak," she whispered through the tears, "she is an ally to Paladine."

The crystal didn't miss a beat, "And so could you be Kit! Our first act against you have suffered via the hands of hate would be to bring your mother back, right here and right now." It lowered to a whisper as it reached the end of the sentance, trying to soothe its own desperation.

Kit looked at the crystal, "I could have Mommy back?"

Wildfire

"Of course I won't my child", the crystal said. "You and those you love will never come to harm ever again. But only if you accept the gift that I offer to you. If you refuse then Markell and Leech will surely destroy all that you love."

The blue crystal now flared in sapphire light then spoke again in a cool liquid voice, "The true deceiver is the jealous one now close to you claiming to wield the feeble power of Mahiya. He would have you give up all that you could be based only on the fear of his own ignorance! He understands nothing! Kit, he is the one that is shadowed by greed." The Eye continued,  "While you wait, Leech gets closer, and Dray, poor Dray, suffers from your indecision from what is an obvious choice! Let me in, Kitalia. Let me in so that you can save your parents."

Kit could feel the thoughts of the crystal try to penetrate her mind. A cacophony of desperate, pleading voices began to flood her thoughts making it difficult for her to think. One thought was clear to her through the chaotic symphony- greed. The crystal wanted her. It wanted her in a way that Markell wanted her mind. It was an emotion that had trivialized any that Markell was ever capable of. The greed was infinite.

Maccabeus could feel the divine symbol on his chest tighten and glow. His blood began to rush through his limbs causing them to tingle and quake. He suddenly understood that Kit's life was powered by fear. He knew that it would ironically be her fear that could fill the infant crystal and drive the greed of the Eye away. Ultimately, that would save her life, soul, and mind. He now became truly aware of crystals mistake in blasphemy.

Ashe lay on the floor under the rubble watching the battle between a dark part of the past and the brilliance of two futures. Unable to help, he simply hoped.

Sensing the disturbed state of his brother, Wolf stood proud by Maccabeus's side.
Wildfire

Dray

Although Kit still lay upon the bed, most of her modesty beneath her, she had twisted her upper torso to look upon the face of the gnome across from her. Remnants of the devastation, dust and a now-slipping towel barely covered her form that was stained with her dried blood. The blue crystal sat on the mattress between them, white beams of light extending from it at many angles which slowly spun as the gem 'spoke'.

"I do not know you sir," Kit said with a cough of confusion. "Are you a slave here as well?" she asked, an appearance of hope in her eyes.

Before Maccabeus could answer she interrupted, "I will be in so much trouble for this!" Tears welled up in her eyes, as she looked down at the crystal. "Markell and Leech will punish me for this! Don't let them cut me!" she implored it.

Johan

Maccabeus stood as tall as his little frame would carry him and spoke in a voice loud and clear, but curious and questioning.

"I don't know you very well, Kit, but from what I can tell, and what I've been told, you don't strike me as the sort that hungers greedily for power. What would you want with the vile power to control other people? I'm sure that if you could imagine someone controlling your body, you wouldn't want to inflict that indignity on someone else; that would make you ugly indeed. Are human parents proud of children who violate others? Are they proud of children who insult the Blessed Divinities? Are they proud of children who give away their own minds, their souls, unable to see through finely-crafted lies, only for the chance to upset the Great Cycle?"

His mind was racing, and his eyes were darting. He knew that he needed to press on quickly; to not give the blue crystal time to interject. His eyes alit upon Ashe, lying wounded under his ruined roof.

"Kit, you've already brought mortal harm to an Elder who has worked diligently to save your life countless times over the last days. You've destroyed his home as well. Your eyes are lying to you, Kit. You must now look to your soul, and to the souls of your parents to guide you. Hear my voice and know that I cannot lie, as I am bound by my oaths to Mahiya and her children. I am bound to seek and speak only truths. You are being deceived, Kitalia. Look forward with your heart for your eyes are clouded and your mind is unclear!" Maccabeus was all but shouting at this point, trying to keep Kit's attention from that of what Ashe had referred to as "the eye".

Wildfire

Ashe moved his head just enough so that he could see Maccabeus and the legs of Kit's bed. His right ear was still to the floor and blood was flowing from the gash over his right eye. It ran over his forehead and was beginning to pool onto the dusty planks. In the slightest voice that Maccabeus could barely hear Ashe said in Mahiya's tongue, "I'm okay." Wolf now began to lick Ashe's face smearing and cleaning off the blood. He was doing it now out of relief rather than worry. Ashe smiled, but only slightly. "Kit has to believe that whoever she thinks I am is not a threat to her. Whatever happens with her now you'll have to deal with. I can help to guide but I can not act. The Eye, in it's greed, is deceiving her."

The Eye spoke again, "Very good my child. You've done well. I'm so proud of you." The voice had a nearly irresistible charm to it. "Kitalia, you have the gift. I can help you to do magnificent things with it, anything you so desire. You could heal your beloved captain so that she could walk again. You could see Dray and even save him from the doom he now faces in his search for you. All of the people that have died in your midst you could bring back, even your mother and father. Wouldn't you like to see them again? To hear them laugh?"

During the crystals speech Ashe looked at Maccabeus and whispered, "It's lying. It will do no such thing. Kit is in grave danger."

Ashe quieted and continued to listen. "You will have the power to bend others to your will. They will worship you as their god. They will be your puppets. And you my sweet child, my dear Kitalia, would be pulling their strings as their puppet master...even to Leech."

Ashe whispered, "Here it comes."

The creamy voice continued, "All you need to do is let me in. Let me into your mind and we can be as one. You'll be able to command anything you want. You'll reach power that only the gods themselves know. Your parents will be so proud of you. They'll see that you've risen above the life of frail mortality. Through you, they'll live forever...free from harm and pain. Make them proud Kitalia."
Wildfire

Johan

As Maccabeus peeked out from under Kit's bed, he saw through the dust-laden air that the devastation was enormous. The upper half of the center wall that separated the living and apothecary room from the kitchen had been blown out. The central roof timber had been partly sundered and now lay (along with the debris of a ruined roof) on top of Ashe. Through the new hole in Ashe's roof Kossuth's setting light filtered through the powders and dust that danced in the air, lending a surreal quality to the scene.

As he crawled out from under the bed, Wolf barked concernedly and as if in response, the only surviving ceramic pot fell to the floor and shattered noisily. "I'm fine, Brother." Maccabeus said. "And you are as well."

Beneath the small pile of rubble Ashe lay apparently dazed. Maccabeus could see at a glance that he was breathing, and his eyelids were working to cleanse his tired eyes of the ubiquitous dusts.

A slight, shallow gurgle drew his attention to the bed where Kit lay dying, her body broken and in pieces. The sight brought Maccabeus's mind to bear as he recognized that he was the only one who could beseech Mahiya to bless the girl with renewed life.

Instantly he began his prayer to Mahiya. She answered, as she always had; his hands glowed an aura of power, a soft mixture of green and purple, and Kit's back rapidly mended itself.

(1d8+2, my die roller came up with a modified 8) Drew, you might want to edit this description based upon the extent of the healing required?how many HP does Kit have at full? That's a Q for Dray).

Her muscles relaxed noticeably and knitted themselves back together the way that Mahiya intended for them to be. Maccabeus noted before the skin covered her once again that amidst the infiltrating green and purple light a spark of white appeared as beloved Mahiya fabricated new bones for Kit's spine.

As Mahiya knitted Kit's lower back together again, the flesh, having been torn from a point lower in her back upwards towards her head, created an angry scar that put into Maccabeus's mind the pattern of migrating geese as they flew in their long-flight configuration.

Although it seemed like a long while, the reality of Mahiya's blessing was realized in very short order and Kit, while not yet quite whole, was breathing easy once again.

Wolf whined behind Maccabeus and the little gnome turned to see the big animal poking at Ashe's face and licking at the nasty gash that Ashe had suffered above his left eye. "Ashe?" Maccabeus stepped towards the Elder "Ashe, are you allright? Can you hear me, or speak?" He watched the Elder's eyes for signs of recognition.

Dray

"I did it." She said astonished. But the smile vanished from her lips as a final convulsion reflexed through her upper torso.

All the psionic energy and adrenaline summoned to kill Drakyr has been spent in one decisive thrust. With it spent, it caused her mind shut off like a switch. Her upper body hit the top of the mattress with a sickening thud.

The blood loss from the still-open massive wound in her back finally caught up to her. The chill of death gripped her and shook her violently in one last attempt to take her from Threshold.

Wildfire

"Maccabeus, duck!!" Ashe shouted. The little dale gnome didn't really need the warning, however. He might not know what was about to happen, but the hair on the back of his neck was standing tall, and he was already diving below Kit's bed for the relative safety that it would hopefully afford him [Duck, ask about seerspeak and gasping].

As Ashe started to run to the middle of the room he tossed the brilliant newborn crystal onto Kit's bed. He knew full well what was about to happen. If she had shattered the crystal all of her pain and suffering would have been for nothing. He moved, away from Wolf so that any destruction she caused would not catch him in it's terrible wake. With deafening thunder Kit released her uncontrolled wrath. The energy of the concussion crackled with blue lightning and shattered the dozens of herbal ceramic jars and splintered the wall that held them. The timbers of the house shook as though they had been caught in an avalanche. Ashe was thrown into the debris of the wall and a section of the roof came crumbling down upon him. He was partly covered in heavy timbers and wood and left a bruised and bloody mess.

Kit wearily smiled at Drakyr's demise.
Wildfire

Dray

Although the lower half of her body was devastated, Kit leaned up on shaking elbows, her bare chest rising off the mattress as she attempted to turn her head towards Ashe.

"NO!" she cried, "you will not take anything else away from me!"

With that, sound of rolling thunder emanated from the center of her skull. It's crescendo rapid, and ominous, portending great destruction. Blood started to run from both eyes as her head shook with obvious psionic power. Ashe took a slight step back, knowing she was surging with full and augmented raw energy provided by the crystal.

She stared at Ashe with seething hatred.