- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Darkening Shadows

Started by Wildfire, July 28, 2011, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

Very good then, that's what I thought.

Laren muttered something that could have been construed as gratitude and shambled his way through the door. The sneaky side of him was giddy; things like secret doors did that to him. A few years back, he'd have loved to worm his way into the basement of a bar. Today it was simply something he had to do.
=]V[=

Griznuq

I SAID, Today it was simply something he had to do.
=]V[=

Griznuq

=]V[=

Wildfire

Okay...been out of action for a spell. I'll be back on this in a day or so.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Griznuq

does "Or So" mean "week"?
=]V[=

Wildfire

sort of turned out that way...oops.
Wildfire

Wildfire

As Laren descended the stairs that led down to Gibbles private room he could hear Gibble talking. As always he had a calm and even tone that was a smooth as the whiskey he served. "I don't know Lasher, your boys being in here peeking about...how can I trust it? I know you wouldn't send them which means someone else did. Sure I could cast it off as..." Gibble paused. Laren knew it was for maximum effect. Gibble was a master of linguistic theatrics and drama. "...a foolish indiscretion on their part. But Lasher, you know the creed on the street: know who to fear."

The tapestry in Gibbles room that concealed the door blocked any hope Laren might have of witnessing the exchange between Lasher and Gibble.

Lasher replied, "Aye know...I know tha' creed. Me boy here though...he dunna know no better. Now I know what yer gonna say and ye be right. I should taught them the smart way o'things..." Lashers tone became decidedly stern, "..and believe me he'll be knowin' them after t'day. But ye I tell ye Gibble, ye not be harming a hair on his dumb head. He messed up being here and peeking on yer people. But no harm'll come to him."

Laren knew what was next...and Gibble didn't fail to deliver.

"Well Lasher, you know that's not up to me. And you know right well who I may have to report this too, aye? So don't try to play it tough with me. You're in no position."

Laren could hear a grumble from the one eyed dwarf. Gibble continued, "I'll tell you what will clear this slate though. We want the name of who hired your boy here and your muscle if it comes to it. Sound reasonable?"

Lasher declared, "Nay...fer being in yer bar and lookin' 'bout? Even you know that dunna be a fair exchange!"

Gibble laughed, "Lasher, you're right, it's not fair...but that's the offer."

Laren could hear the heavy breathing of the dwarf. "If'n me boy here gives you a name, it may well get him killed...ye know that...I know ye know that! Ye can't expect me to agree to them terms knowin' his life be on the line."

Gibble, again, calmly spoke, "And I assure you that any actions, if they're taken, will not lead back to him."

"Ye canna promise such a thing." The grizzled dwarf said. "But we dunna have no other way. Tell him son...tell him who be paying ya."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren waits eagerly... Though somehow, he had a feeling he already knew the name.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Laren listened close to the any sound that came from beyond the secret door. He could see a sapphire glow coming from his pouch as his sight faded to black. It was as though his eyes were pushing through the door and through the tapestry that covered the door. At once was revealed the private domain of Gibble just as Laren remembered it. Only now there was a one eyed dwarf and a young bandit that Laren had seen earlier. It was as though Laren was in the room...he could see the distress on the dark haired boy's face, could feel his fear...could sense his desperation. Laren could also sense that Gibble knew something was listening to the conversation.

At once Laren was looking through the eyes, rather, the memory of the boy. He was looking at a dark figure cloaked in shadows with three other figures behind him, "I want you to keep an eye out for any activity...watch to see how they act with the bartender. I want to know if they are Hawk or if they are drunk. If you see the ring with a bloodhook on a Halfling, tell me. I'll have people watching you watch. So I'll know if you're lying or just stupid. Cross me and you're family will never again see the light of day...not that rats like light."

"How will I know it's him" Laren asked though he asked in what seemed to be a young human voice.

"That's where the test of your skill comes in. Fail me, and you may live, though you won't want to." replied the dark figure as he tossed a pouch of money to Laren. It seemed to Laren that while witnessing this exchange he was much taller than the height of a Halfling.

"How will I know how to find you?" Laren, with the boys voice, asked.

"Come back here and ask for Vasago." The robed figure stated as he walked away.

Laren woke from what seemed to be a dream as the young rogue in the room said "Vasago" just as Laren recalled the boy's memory wherein he heard the name. It was as though he heard and remembered it at the same time with two different voices: Vasago.

Laren regained his normal vision and could see the glow that was once blue now red, dim from it's brightness.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren's lip curled slightly in distaste as he pieced together what'd just happened. Although he was intrigued by whatever the Eye had just done, he was all the more eager to rid himself of it.

Laren tried to shake the bad taste it left in his mouth, while trying to figure out if he'd ever met or heard of someone named Vasago.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Laren had heard the name before, though only in whispers between his father and others in the Ring. Judging by the slightly extended silence from Gibble, Laren knew that the name "Vasago" was deadly business.

"The boy is done here." Gibble stated plainly to Lasher. "Off with ye lad. An dunna ye be goin' far." Lasher commanded as he pulled a "Griffon" (the name of a silver coin in the Tri-state of Vychia) from his belt pouch and flipped it to the boy. "Darren, git yerself a meal. Ya done had a long day already." Laren could hear hurried steps up the stairs immediately after Lasher gave his order.

"So ye be tellin' me Gibble, what's tha' name be meanin' to ye?" Gibble smiled and looked at the concerned dwarf. "Lasher...dear Lasher. You need to get some better contacts in your life if you and your adopted kin are to survive the streets of Kurr." Gibble patronized. At first the advice sounded to Lasher like the Halfling was mocking him. He then realized that Gibble wasn't at all kidding. He came to understand that Gibble was offering him genuine guidance.

"Wull, ye gonna tell me or are ye just gonna keep it to yerself?" Lasher asked impatiently. The halfling could see the look of worry on the dwarf's face despite the attempts to hide such a betrayal of emotion. "Vasago is a major agent of the Black Wolves. Rumor has it he's in charge. No one really knows that for sure though." Gibble answered with a touch of mirth though the situation was anything but comical.

Lasher breathed deep knowing well the reputaion that surrounded the Black Wolves. "What's he...they...them be wantin' with yer tavern ye think?" the one-eyed dwarf posed. Gibble sat down and cradled his chin in his hand in thought. "I have some thoughts on that Saorse, rest assured. Another thought I have is that the Duskshrouds and the Hawk Ring are about to become close indeed. Now go get a drink." Lasher looked at Gibble with a wide toothy grin and winked with his one good eye at the smirking halfling. Lasher took the advice of his new friend- for rarely could any underground organizations call each other such- and departed up the stairs.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren stood quietly, not exactly sure how to announce his own presence. Clearing his throat seemed a little too pedestrian. He also wasn't exactly sure if his eavesdropping may have been rude. Then again, he was only following Gibble's instructions...

He also wrestled with his intrigue into what he'd just witnessed. Very interesting stuff, but not the sort of thing he was really hoping to find, dressing up like Oscar and all. He'd really hoped to find some sort of answer to his problem with Crimson. He knew whatever was going on was important, and could certainly amount to some valuable information, but he couldn't help feeling like he'd grabbed the tail of the wrong rat. It was rather disappointing.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Gibble made certain that Lasher had fully ascended the stairs before standing up and moving about. With the weight of the haggard dwarf's boots it wasn't too hard to determine when that moment arrived. Subtlety was never the the dwarf's forte. His strength was in sheer power and, Gibble admitted, his likeability! He was as a father to kids whose parents were either brutal, dead, or just unable to see after their own. Despite his lessons in street surviving tactics he genuinely cared for those that were in his fold. It was both an advantage and disadvantage. Gibble secretly feared that Lasher MacTeague might one day find that his empathy could be his undoing. He feared this for Lasher as he feared it for himself.

"Well, methinks it's time for a drink!" Gibble proclaimed aloud as though talking to himself. "Much to think about, much to discuss." The barkeeps voice was growing louder towards Laren's direction. "T'would be nice to have the company of an odd friend to manner over odd and dare I say, exciting, times." Then Laren could hear Gibble state, with barely a whisper, "The door is open my friend." Laren could hear the near silent release of the secret door that lead into The Half Pint's underground chamber.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren chuckeled as he came out from behind the tapestry. "Heh, and here I thought you were known for your subtly."

"I'd really like to get this stinking outfit off of me. I'm not sure it was such a great idea anyway," Laren said disappointingly.
=]V[=

Wildfire

"I would say it was a great idea." Gibble stated as he helped his odorous friend remove his bulky cloak. "Especially considering the nature of the conversation between Lasher and me. You can't be too careful in our line of work." Gibble's face soured as he got a full face of the stench coming off of Laren. "Gurden did some impressive work on you and this disguise. I bet even Oscar would be proud!" Gibble laughed.

Gibble, in an effort to distance himself from the smell of Laren's disguise, went to his desk an filled two glasses with whiskey from a crystal decanter. He brought Laren a glass and spoke more seriously, "I don't know how much of the conversation you heard but I can tell you that an unsavory sort by the name of Vasago is involved. Vasago is believed, with good reason, to be of the Black Wolves." Gibble took a slug of his whiskey and continued, "I really do like this stuff. Made in the Wildlands it is. They know how to make a drink. Anyway, as I was saying, The Black Wolves are a nasty organization that deals in assassination and other, well, services."

Gibble looked at his fellow Hawk with his eyebrows raised in concern. "There are questions that arise based on the company involved. Furthermore, does it involve you?"
Wildfire