- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

A New Home

Started by Wildfire, November 15, 2005, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

"Yes I was! I've lived here all of my life. Although I have traveled all over. I've even gone to Kaaryn'Zyth the elven lands. That's a long journey let me tell you! My mother is there right now actually visiting her family. She's only part elven mind you but she has strong ties over there. Me I'm only a little bit elven. Most elves would say that I don't have any of the blood at all but I think I do. Which in my mind explains to me why I'm pretty good at being quiet during the hunt. Dad says it's because of the wolf in me!" Kym laughs in that charming way that only a woman can.

"How long did it take you to come here from the Dale of Wolves? That must've been a harsh trip being next to the Dragonteeth [color=green:4659a37543](the mountain range in the south)[/color] and during Venric at that! I'll bet there was more than one night that you and Grrgrowlgrrgrr [color=green:4659a37543](again she speaks in Wolven)[/color] spent more than one night curled up with each other in some cave next to a fire. I wish I could have seen that...so cute. You must have some stories to tell about the open country, eh?"

She looks over to Dale, "And you've been terribly quiet Dale. Where do you come from? Certainly not from around here judging by your accent. I would guess that you're from the city-states either the Tri-State or Kazbourne, yes?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

"Umph." Maccabeus added around a mouthful of snake. "Wolf and I are the same way: I can talk and he can hunt! It's largely on his account that we travelled here from the Dale during venric." He swallowed his mouthful then.

"Were you born here, Kym?" He asked.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Zarion says, "Well I actually have a few catches that need tending to. So regretfully I must take my leave of you. I know that i'll see you again. Goodnight and good hunting!" Zarion turns and walks acroos to the kitchen.

Kym looks about and replies, "I can only stay a little while. I have some work to do and I'll be getting up early in the morning for a hunt. You should come with us sometime. Nothing gets past this nose of mine. As for my Dad, well, he always comes back with something. Some say he's the best in the area. Ashe could tell you, Dad and Mercer were always testing skills with each other. sometimes Mercer was better, sometimes Dad. I have a tendency to think that Mercer was a bit better since he taught Dad alot of things. But it's hard to measure things like that."

Ashe laughs, "Those two razorbacks were constantly jabbing at each other! It was all in fun though. As for who was better...who can say. I think they were probably equal in their own right. Each could do things the other couldn't."
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus yawned abruptly, then his face flushed. "Ohh, pardon me." He beseeched his companions sheepishly. "This has been a day or two of revelations and emotions. I've been in this region for such a short time and thus far have met so many interesting folks. Friends I dare say. And hardly a sleep-filled night." He glanced furtively at Ashe.

"Your lovely daughter is wise." He suggested to Zarion the Giant. "I don't mean to be rude, but this snake-filled belly of mine is suggesting that I languish a bit. Are you able to sit and talk with us about nothing in particluar? I think I'm enervated for the nonce and must recoup myself." He stifled another sudden yawn and tried his best to disguise it as a deep sigh. Then he laughed a bit, saying, "I blame also this fine company that makes a strange little outlander feel so much at home. Such a comfortable place."

Wildfire

Zarion chuckles slightly, "You're all welcome whenever. And as for stories I'd be glad to tell you of some. Admittedly, I have great pride in my heritage...which is no bad thing, mind you. You must understand though that many of the folks that live and visit here don't appreciate or even care about the folks and deeds of old. They like the result of those deeds but to them it's a story. For people like yourself, Ashe, and probably Dale though it's very close to us. We have somehow lived and been part of that."

Kym chimes in, "Dad, save your speech for another day. These people are here to eat and talk and not be bothered by your quiet malcontent with regular folks." Kym looks at the others, "Which is why this place is far away from everything else." She winks at Zarion playfully.
Wildfire

Blackspear

Dale listens to the little guy's story and watches as the drama is acted out before him.  Not wanting to interrupt, he ravenously devours his meal and drains his mug of bronzesap.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Johan

Maccabeus accepted the grizzled old hand happily, clasping it in the Dale manner:  hand-to-wrist. It resulted in a comical clasping, though. The entierty  of Maccabeus's arm up to his elbow was lost within Zarion's large, calloused mitt, and his gnome hand, fully splayed, was insufficient to round Zarion's wrist.

Maccabeus laughed at the unusual site and said, "I'm overjoyed to meet you."

"I hope you might not mind me frequenting this fine establishment so as I might learn from you? I'm particularly interested regarding your knowledge of your honored father's time in the Dale? That is, assuming that you have any such information and might be of a mind to share it."

Wildfire

During the telling of the story Zarion had quietly come over and listened. After it was done he said, "It's good to hear stories of my older sires. It seems we are connected in many ways little one. Your arrival and our meeting was certainly no mere coincidence."

Zarion extended his large, rough, somewhat hairy hand. He smiled warmly and said, "It seems that old alliances are convening once again."

Maccabeus could see a wild and free spirit in Zarions eyes. He was an old soul that could not be chained or bound. How like a wolf he was! Kym had the same air about her but she was younger and more cheerful.

Zarion left his right hand extended for Maccabeus to accept.

Ashe watched with delighted intensity.
Wildfire

Johan

?A gnome can live for upwards of three centuries, it is said. But that?s not the case in the Dale.? Maccabeus all but whispered while he picked idly at his plate of meat. His tongue was largely listless, and so he couldn?t discern any real flavor from the faire. ?In the Dale it?s a rare thing for a gnome to live two centuries before he is overtaken by the nature of the Dale. That is, giantkin, clanwar, or the Great Cycle.?

He inhaled deeply. ?My sire and mother were both older when I was born. I didn?t know them.? He picked some more at the plate, and drank some more of the Bronzesap, which seemed to lose some of its earlier kick. ?Before I could walk the clan was beset by marauding Shadewolves and my parents were killed and eaten. I realize that this seems like a harsh way to enter the world, but the Divinities know what they?re doing. I needed this to happen. My grandsire raised me. You can imagine that he was old, my sire being as old as he was. My grandsire was well beyond three centuries at this time, but he was as virile and active as a man a third his age.?

?In his youth, my grandsire had borne rare witness to the Wild Hunt. So inspired was he that he attended closely the ways of Mahiya and followed in the Huntsmen?s paths. I think that he was chosen by one or more of the Divinities because he barely aged from that point, at least not discernibly. Stories around the Dale place my grandsire often where help was needed, especially at times when Shadewolves banned together for evil. He is a local folk hero and was a great hunter as well. Some say that he was the most successful mortal hunter in the Dale since Orion himself had come there.? Maccabeus?s admiration for his grandsire was clearly reflected in his face and voice. The telling of his history didn?t seem to sadden Maccabeus at all. It seemed more a recitation of fact and not an emotion-filled reliving of the past.

?In any event, he never spoke much about himself, except to say that Orion had touched him, and the Antlered Giant had befriended him. He spent most of his life in their service. When my parents were taken, he took me unto himself. He taught me much: tracking, wild manner, many skills needed for surviving in the Dale.?

Maccabeus smiled then. ?It wasn?t until I was selected to study under Shankaria that I learned a little about my grandsire. When I was apprenticed under my preceptor, I left the guardianship of my grandsire and he went back to his service to Orion and the Master. I haven?t seen him since, but I?ve heard the stories. He roams the Dale chasing down evil where it infringes upon the lives of others.? Maccabeus was becoming more animated as he spoke. ?Well, last I heard anything of him he was.? He even laughed a little. ?I haven?t heard anything from him over the last decade or so; I often think that the Hunt might have caught up with him.?

?I?ll tell you one thing, though, if he yet lives, he?s the luckiest Dale Gnome in the history of our people. If he?s now past and gone, then he?s the luckiest Dale Gnome in the history of our people.? Smiling, he raised his cup ceremoniously and drank a small sip.

?I still don?t have the whole story of how he was incepted into the graces of Orion and the Master, but Shankaria did tell me that they had chosen my grandsire, they taught him and he acted on their behalf and on their orders. Were that not the case, then he would not have been so long-lived, and I would not have survived as a whelp. You commented earlier, Ashe, that I?ve been called upon by the Divinities. I don?t know this yet, but my sense is that my line has closely served the line of the Great Hunter for many generations. Shankaria tells me that when Orion first came to the Dale, he befriended one of my line and began to adopt from among the wolves that were bonded with my clan.

?We in the Dale owe much to the Great Hunter and the Master; I and my line more than most, I think. They even were kind enough to relieve my grandsire of his duty to them while he reared me.? He seemed to think on this a moment, then said, ?I suppose that might have been part of his duty to them?? He smiled wryly at that. He looked up at Kym, still listening to his tale and said, ?I and mine owe much to you and yours, my lady; on behalf of my line, I thank yours.?

He smiled broadly at her then and took another piece of the wooly snake and put it into his mouth. ?This is really quite good, isn?t it? A bit of a wild flavor to it.?

Wildfire

Kym had a puzzled look on her face. She had said his name several times but had not gotten a response. Finally she said with great command, "Maccabeus!"

Maccabeus had shaken his head out of his unexpected trance and saw a heaping plate of meat the white color of fish. Ashe and Dale were looking sidelong at him.

"I hope that you enjoy the wooly snake. Well, it's not wooly now but it...it was."

Wolf had already begun to devour the massive bowl of venison put before him. "Grrrgrowlgrrgrrr [color=green:a63d86fa20](wolf sounds)[/color] seems to like his supper very much. He's such a special brother."

Maccabeus recognized the lupine sounds that Kym made. It was how he would address Wolf when he could talk in wolf talk.

Ashe had begun to cut into his pheasant and in getting frustrated with the inefficientciey of the utensils put them down and tore off chuncks of the bird with his hands. "That's better..." he said as he munched away.
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus looked with new eyes upon the visages of the tavern keeper and the comely serving girl.

Zarion was fifteen or more paces away from where Maccabeus sat with Ashe and Dale, but even from that distance the little gnome could tell that the man was very tall. Twice as tall as Maccabeus was. He also carried himself upon an uncommonly powerful frame. Maccabeus didn?t really know what Orion Wolfjaw might have looked like, but he always imagined a tall, powerfully built human. Such was the nature of any such epic hero. His nickname, ?The Great Hunter? promulgated that image as well.

And if that fabled hunter?s last name ??Wolfjaw? ? was any indication, then Maccabeus could clearly note that familial trait echoed in Zarion. The humble-seeming tavern keeper had decidedly wolf-like features. As Maccabeus looked with his newly sharpened eyes, it seemed that peaking out from under Zarion?s long brown hair were slightly sharpened ears. Maccabeus had to look a bit intently through the somewhat dimly lit room; he couldn?t easily tell whether they were ears poking out or just another of the feathers or beads that Zarion had weaved into his hair, but indeed, he decided at length, this man had pointed ears.

Orion, it is said, had a strong natural affinity for the noble wolf. One would think that he could have assimilated lupine characteristics (indeed, very likely must have), which would have been passed along to his progeny. Zarion?s ears, his slightly exotic eyes, and his long bristling sideburns, which descended along the ridge of his sharpened jaw, painted the image of Wolf in his otherwise human form.

Kymberly appeared at the table, obscuring Maccabeus?s view of Zarion. Is occurred in such a way that Maccabeus enjoyed the illusion that Zarion had melted into a smaller, more pleasing form.

Kymberly was clearly related to Zarion, as Maccabeus could now tell, the older man?s visage having morphed into the younger girl?s. She was not as tall as Zarion, but she was still not short by any stretch. She stood about as tall as Maal did and was similarly athletic in her build. Her hands were large and strong, her jaw line was sharp and rigid, like Zarion?s. But what caught Maccabeus?s attention so solidly were the young girl?s eyes. Under her airy, relatively short tawny hair, nestled in the fine porcelain skin of her appealing face, her angular eyes were a beautifully deep and rich brown. Maccabeus was sure that they could see clear into the core of his being; obviously as keen as any wolf in the forest, they must be able to see much that is imperceptible to common eyes such as his own.

Orion Wolfjaw stood at his table, looking kindly and enquiringly into his befuddled and blurry eyes. He had no words for this honor, and wouldn?t want to spoil his privilege with coarse verbiage anyway.

Wildfire

Ashe looks at Maccabeus and says, "The Great Hunter? Is that what your kin know him as? What do you know of him? I'm curious..."
Wildfire

Blackspear

Dale takes a long sip and wanders into deep musings about his studies.  Orion Wolfjaw was a legend among legends.  This is like meeting Paladine's son.   His mind starts to race through all he can remember of the Shadow Wars and Orion's deeds.   His heart starts to beat faster as he realizes he has encountered a link to the past by coming to this tavern.   This town is unbelievale!   What could possibly happen next?   Will he stumble onto Valekai's trail after all?
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Johan

Mac's jaw hung slack for a long moment as he listened to Ashe talk. "That man is a direct descendant of The Great Hunter?" He chokingly whispered. "And she as well?" He indicated Kym as he spoke.

"By the Blessed Divinities." He breathed. "Dear Mother! Ashe, you could have warned me! I'm completely unprepared for such a meeting!" Maccabeus spoke in conspiratorial tones; he was clearly set off-balance by this revelation. He started to breath somewhat heavily and took a deep draw upon his bronzesap; the quaff seemed to settle him somewhat.

"Just when I think this day can get no better..." The little gnome trailed off, leaving his thought hanging in the air as he stared awestruck at Zarion and Kymberly.

Wildfire

"Ah, yes. Zarion is a descendant of Orion Wolfjaw a legend among legends. He was actually one of the chief commanders in the First of the many Shadow Wars in Elsenbans history long ago. Later his sons and daughters fought in the last series of Shadow Wars that cracked the Kingdom of Vychia into the City-States. After the Orion and the other heroes defeated The Shadow Riders and the Cruxus he went on to nurture his natural affinity to wolves. He joined with The Master of the Wild Hunt and with their fierce pack of green misted wolves would track down terrible evil and bring it to it's doom. It's said that Orion was the tangible essence of the wolf spirit. Zarion and Kym have that same way about them." Ashe says in a sort of dream reverie.
Wildfire