- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

A New Home

Started by Wildfire, November 15, 2005, 12:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

"This place must be bursting with mystery, I think." Maccabeus observed. "If you don't mind, I'm going to practice an art taught me by my preceptor: I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut, and my eyes and ears open." He smiled fondly at the memory of Shankharia's frustration at teaching this technique to her exuberant pupil.

"If I don't, I'm likely to not learn a thing on this tour." He breathed deep of the forest air. "Such a lovely place." He remarked.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Ashe laughs full bellied, "I know that there are many confusing things to you right now Maccabeus and probably to you Dale. In good time they will be answered. As for my travels I've seen more of this land than i could write about in three lifetimes! I've been all the way to your homeland and to the islands to the north. I've been to Xanthakos and the elven lands. I've been to other lands almost beyond count. Finally my travels brought me here. I arrived here perhaps about thirty years ago with my friend Mercer, who was actually from here originally, and I decided that Threshold  was to be my new home."

The three arrived to the other side of the plant bridge and upon stepping off the trees and bushes began to un twist and returned to their natural state. There was absolutely no evidence that any sort of river span had been there. "Maccabeus, to answer your question: yes. I made the bridge the first time. But it was truly you who did it the second time. I'll explain later."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

That I made? Maccabeus thought that he'd better start getting used to being confused. "How do you mean that I made this?" He asked as he nonetheless stepped gingerly upon the botanical bridge. "You suggest that these plants know me, that they will help me to cross this river, yes? Was it not you who had beseeched these fine brothers when we crossed this was earlier? How do you know that it is not you that they know?"

He laughed at himself then. "Mystery abounds here, Ashe. Perhaps this is another subject for a later moment." He then changed the subject rather abruptly. "How long have you lived here? Have you traveled far and wide? Who are our allies here, and who must we be wary of?" Again he laughed. "I'm sorry." He apologized. "I've many question - obviously - and sometimes they get the better of me."

Maccabeus gained confidence as he traversed the bridgeway; the limbs and fronds were indeed strong, but he still kept a gentle pace to prevent from damaging them. "Thanks to you, friend." He said as he alit on the far side of the river.

Wildfire

Ashe looked down at Maccabeus and nodded his head with a cryptic grin on his face. The leaves began to rustle and the branches and tree boughs started to creak and groan. The bushes at the rivers edge began to stretch and twist together. On the other side of the river the plants were doing the same thing. Just as before when they had first come here and the plants spanned the river so to again did this happen.

A sturdy bridge had been created for the three to cross. Ashe looked down stream of the river and said, "Now, if the two of you will notice not one leaf fell into the water. The plants here are both strong and delicate. The blessed power of the Valley flows in everything around here. Well, Maccabeus, this is the bridge that you made and it should be you that leads us across."
Wildfire

Johan

Curious, Maccabeus did as he was instructed, edging down near to the very water line. He listened intently, and glanced at Ashe, looking for some indication of what it was that the elder wanted him to see.

Wildfire

Ashe put his boots on as did Dale. Soon all three were walking back the way they had come. Arriving to Fogveil River Dale and Maccabeus could see that the plant bridge that was once there had disappeared back to normal trees and bushes. Ashe half turns his head back and whispers, "Maccabeus, come stand on the bank of the river. Dale, be sure to watch your footing."
Wildfire

Johan

Ashe had become an interesting study for Maccabeus. Rather quickly so. Wolf had set Maccabeus at ease regarding the elder's being and motivators; Ashe was a learned one from whom Mac could learn much, he thought.

He did tend to speak vaguely, though. Did the elder mean that as Mac came and went the plants would help him across the river? Did he intend now to show Mac and Dale a different way across? To what "Others" did Ashe refer?

Threshold, it seemed, was an active place; Maccabeus led Ashe out from the Ring and southward, gaining egress from the Ring along the flowered path that had led them into it earlier. Near the exit to the tunnel, he plopped down and, humming lightly, donned his tall leather boots.

"Lead the way, Ashe. Wolf and I shall follow you to see what there is to see in this place you call Threshold."

Wildfire

Ashe chuckles just a bit and says, "My little friend, the plants now know you. Your passage across the Fogveil will always be assured as long as they are there. Others will not be welcomed as you are. They will likely have to swim as Dale did or take their chances going through little Threshold. Come, there is much to see!"
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus surveyed the Ring and the carcass, then made an exaggerated display of checking himself over. "I think that I might be a wee bit too small to take that thing all the way into your town." He answered jestfully. "I think I'll be back later today and the meat will last until then. I'll dress and cook it tonight. As for Wolf, he's free to do as he wills." The little gnome roughly fluffed Wolf's cheeks as he spoke.

"I do hope you'll accompany me into town again, friend." He said to Wolf. "I think we both need to know the lay of the land. At the same time, we should definitely take the forest route out of here instead of through the fields. I'll have to find a more permanent way across that river though. I don't yet know the trees here well enough to beg such a construct from them as a matter of routine."