- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

You don't say

Started by Griznuq, July 23, 2006, 01:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phineas

Sayer studied Laren a moment before responding with a slow nod and a smile.  Although he had taken several deep breaths, Laren still seemed tense.  It was clear to Sayer that the halfling was under a lot of pressure.

Sayer gestured to the reading table.  "Allow me to explain what to expect from this reading," he said in his soft, silky voice.  "As previously mentioned, there is a short ritual that precedes and succeeds the reading.  The rituals are very short and very simple and I will talk you through the actions.

"After the opening ritual, we will then do the reading."  Sayer held up a small, worn leather sack.  There was an earthy clattering sound as Sayer reached into the sack and withdrew a pebble from it.  He turned the stone over showing carvings on both sides of the pebble.  "I use rune stones as a medium to offer advice.  Some oracles read palms; others read cards.  I read thrown stones.  You shall be the one to cast the stones, and I shall be the one to interpret the casting.  Again, I shall talk you through the actions to take.

"After we discuss the casting, we will end with the closing ritual.  And then," Sayer smiled, "you shall walk forth into the future bearing the Shield of Wisdom."  Sayer's smile faded as he paused to read Laren's face.  "Do you have any questions about the process of the reading?"

Griznuq

Laren had calmed a bit after he sat and forced himself to simply breathe.

"Oh, I'm alright. I just get a little carried away when I don't stop to rationalize." He stood back up and accepted the glass of water.

"Thanks" he said. "I'm ready when you are."
=]V[=

Phineas

"Yes, yes of course."  Sayer gestured welcomingly to the only chair in the room.

Sayer stepped to a clay pitcher and removed the thick cloth draped over the mouth.  "Perhaps some water may refresh you."  He poured the water into a small mug and held it out to Laren.

"There is a small, symbolic ritual that commences and closes the reading, and it is preferable that you stand during these ceremonies.  We may begin when you feel ready."  Sayer paused, his hairless brow frowning with concern.  "How do you feel, Laren?"

Griznuq

[color=green:0854b1b66f]Heh woops... sorry.[/color]

The words seemed to sink slowly into Laren's mind through his thick halfling skull. He nodded slightly and let his arm fall back to his side.

"Alright," he said, tying the pouch back to his side. "Probably better off anyway. Seems that it brings only pain anyway."

Laren stood silent for a moment, considering the lack of wisdom behind those last few words. He probably shouldn't have said that.

"I'm sorry, I suppose I'm not exactly be best company right now. I've been... distracted to say the least, these last few days. And it's not that I doubt your abilities, I just have no idea how they work and I want to be as helpful as possible. Sometimes I get a little excited." He realized that he was on the verge of babbleing.

The little fellow took a deep breath, filling is tiny lungs with the dry air. He exhaled and asked "Would you mind if I sat down?"[color=green:0854b1b66f][/color]
=]V[=

Phineas

Sayer's eyes lingered a moment on the pouch that Laren held forth.

Phineas

Sayer looked up from the table.  His attention drifted from the pouch to Laren's trembling hand.  He was silent for a moment as he chose his words.  "Laren," he began in a soft, reassuring tone.  "It is not a requirement for you to show me anything, or tell me anything.  You may do so if you choose to do so, but it will not impact the reading.

"With respect to the reading," Sayer continued, "our goal is to discuss some options that you have at present, including those options which are available to you that you may not be aware.  As you choose which option to follow, you take one step closer to your goal.  How you reach this goal is ultimately under your control, but it will be based on a number of smaller choices that you make.

"Do you understand?" Sayer asked, smiling warmly and his tone lightening.  "You choose your own decisions, and you choose your own destiny through those decisions.  You and I shall discuss the best choices to make."

It was clear that Laren was fearful.  Sayer hoped that his words would put Laren at ease.

Griznuq

Laren gathered the requested items and brought them over to the table. Laren silently wondered again what he was there for. He felt sure that whatever was possible, the most likely outcome would be the least favorable. Nothing in the past several months had gone well, why should it start now?

He felt that he already knew what would happen. Maybe he was there in the hopes of hearing what his soul doubted: that things would be alright.

The realization struck that he could very well hear that his worst fears were correct, and that destroying this thing was exactly what needed to happen, though it would destroy him as well. Suddenly he wasn't so sure that he wanted to be there.

His palms began to sweat. He felt as though his heart would burst beneath his little chest.

He took a deep breath and reminded himself that even if he were to die, it wouldn't matter. In fact, there were a handful of people who would be safer if he did cease to exist. He had to know. He decided that he would give Sayer anything that would help his reading to be more accurate.  Even if that meant taking out the Eye.

"Would it help your reading if you could see this object?" Laren held the pouch up by it's strings. It dangled from his tiny hand and spun slightly as the twisted strings unraveled.

Beads of sweat trickled down Laren's forehead, though it was quite comfortable in the room. His hands were shaking.
=]V[=

Phineas

Sayer smiled and bowed humbly.  "You are kind to say so, and I thank you for indulging my disquisition on furniture."  He was a bit embarrassed for rambling, and while he received Laren's compliments with graciousness, he found himself remaining guarded around the halfling.  He remembered his training from the royal court: Focus not on prose and praise, but on the motive it conveys. What was Laren trying to gain from him?

"Let us begin.  Those three candles there: please bring them to the reading table and light them."

Griznuq

Laren nodded and said, "Oh. Where I come from, a table that big could feed most of the neighborhood. From the sounds of it, it would take most of them to move it too."

He was starting to get a little bit uncomfortable. He remembered his father saying something about being careful when making jokes about something others cared greatly for.

"Your passion for what you do is unfortunately uncommon, I think. Most of the time, people seem to do what they do just to get by. To enjoy one's work is truely a blessing."
=]V[=

Phineas

Sayer looked up from the table with an expression of bafflement.  "But this is a portable reading table," he said.  "It is half the size of a formal reading table.  Ah, such a table is a thing of beauty.  It is a piece of furniture the length of a man on all sides, made of the finest of woods by the finest of craftsmen."  As Sayer passionately described the details of a reading table, his eyes drifted to an imaginary table that stood before him.

Any humor that Laren had intended was lost upon Sayer.

Griznuq

Wow! Laren thought. There sure seemed to be more to this man's craft than Laren had known.

"Tools of the trade, eh?" Laren smiled thinly. "They should at least make it travel-sized."
=]V[=

Phineas

Sayer smiled as Laren expressed his appreciation.  "Laren, you honor me by requesting counsel", Sayer spoke softly.  "There are many individuals who have questions and never seek to understand them.  I find it troubling," Sayer said, scraping the table's legs across the rough wooden floor, "that many of these individuals would take action without understanding their questions.  You demonstrate wisdom by wishing to better understand your situation..."

Sayer turned from the table and looked solemnly at Laren.  "...and understanding the best questions to ask."

Sayer paused a moment, allowing the halfling to absorb his words.  He then stepped to the bedside and knelt.  From underneath the bed he retrieved a wide, worn wooden case.  Using both hands, Sayer awkwardly hauled the case up and stood its edge on the table.  He unwrapped the leather straps that held the case shut, and opened it with care.

Inside each half of the case lay a fine piece of wood.  These inner pieces were hinged to the outer case, and Sayer lifted each piece out in turn.  The result was a wide table surface divided into quartered sections.  A design of lighter wood was inlaid within the darker wood, creating a circle quartered by a cross:

http://rockdovestudios.com/griznuq/Table-top.jpg">

The wood was pockmarked from usage, as though small river stones had been dropped upon it over the span of decades.

Griznuq

Laren was indeed quite out of his element. He could read of course, but he never really enjoyed it; it always put him to sleep.

The smell of old paper was thick in the room. Laren was not sure why, but it seemed to him that whenever there were a lot of books around, the air was dry. He made a mental note to ask someone about that some day.

Now however, there were greater things on his mind.

"Hey, I really appreciate this by the way. I know we just got back and you're probably tired... I know I sure am. Last thing you probably want to do at the moment is work."

He never got the impression that the mysterious fellow actually considered this work. In fact it seemed like it was something Sayer enjoyed very much, but suggesting as much made his thanks seem even greater.

Laren made himself comfortable, as he did wherever he went. He reasoned Why would anyone want a guest tonot feel comfortable?[/i] He was careful not to sit on anything that could easily be damaged. Being three feet tall and a mere forty pounds made that easy.
=]V[=

Phineas

Sayer entered the small room which was both his sleeping quarters and office.  The room was crowded by a couple of wardrobe trunks covered with a thick stack of papers.  Several books weighted upon the pages, preventing the papers from drifting to the floor.

The only table in this room was a small washing table which been transformed into a writing desk, on which was piled parchment, bottles of ink, quills and writing nibs, and sealing wax.  Several books and journals teetered on the one edge of the table.  Sayer quietly moved these items aside and brought the table away from the wall.

Griznuq

One thing he could say for Sayer, the man enjoyed his work. There was a time when Laren too enjoyed what he did. He hoped that he would feel that way again someday.

He hopped down from his stool and scurried after the much taller seer... Sayer...

Laren wondered how the irony of that statement remained buried from him for so long.
=]V[=