- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

08.30.2132 - The Return Home

Started by Dray, November 25, 2008, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Rob Peters was nodding as Temmit spoke but also putting up a staying hand.

"He did indeed pass a few months aftah putting Jennifer and I on our path. But you take that there coin Mr. Janalinus and you do sum good with it. If yeah won't be spendin it on yeahself, pass it on to anothah in need. I am sure you have more than a few friends at the orphanage who could use some help. Again, it's the least my wife and I can do for'yeah being part of this bizarre plan."

Rob Peters put his hat back on.

"Well, its late and I should be headin back. I left ah skinned rabbit hangin on your porch shouldjah be hankerin for a meal," offered Peters. At Temmits opportunity to politely deny the offer Peters interrupted him. "And if yeah don't mind me huntin on your family's land I will be in this area for the next couple months. Game is good around here," he finished.

With that he gave the young man a wink and turned to the door.

Johan

"Mr. Peters?" Temmit called as the old man reached for the door latch. Robert turned half way back to Temmit, an eyebrow raised inquiringly. "Thanks." Temmit managed simply.

"I'm sorry for my reception of you; I wasn't expecting anybody. And I certainly have no issues with you hunting anywhere you like, really. I'm hoping to spend some time learning how to snare rabbits for myself out here this summer; I hope to see you again."

He couldn't think of anything else to say, really. Robert Peters seemed like a regular fellow, and Temmit could sense no decite from him. It would be wise to keep on a good terms with this man and his wife for the summer; as much as Temmit enjoyed being alone, solitude was a dangerous way of life way out here.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

"Ye're welcome." The man gave a better smile and a nod. "Enjoy yer time out here young man, and keep the sword handy just in case. Should yeah need anything at all just run 'bout a mile up the road and hang out where the road jigs from east-to-west-to-east around a slow hill. My wife er I will spot yeah."

With that he pulled the latch on the door and departed quietly.

(OOG DM Notes: Temmit still has the following things to consider:
    the remainder of the sketches to view, of which there are three (total of 8 from satchel).
    *Six small journals of your fathers remain unopened. (You may remember that Temmit already investigated the larger 7"x10" journal with cracked leather and mystical glyphs)
    *A clear but dull 4" crystal you may want to bond with.
    *Don't forget Renee is going to stop bye.
How you want to proceed with all those items above is up to you. We can take them one post at a time, a few large posts, or a single large diatribe scribed by Johan after he resolves any questions with me via email.)[/color]

Johan

So here's my thinking:

1) Longer is not always better (at least, that's what I keep telling my wife). I don't want to drag this thread out to dozens of pages; I think that I'd rather close this at a "good" time (might not be right now...lemme think as I type), and open other threads as needed;

2) I'm thinking that as far as the pictures (sketches) are concerned, we've already opened that can of worms here, so let us delve through those in this thread, then close;

3) Let's talk about journals in the e-mail, and then I can try to understand some of what's in that dark, twisted mind of yours and I can summarize like I do so often;

4) That curious dull but clear crystal, I think, should warrant it's own short thread; I have no idea at this time how to handle that, but sometimes that's for the best;

5) Make sure that Renee brings lots of coffee and condoms...I'm planning a party.

That work for you?

Johan

Night had settled, but this encounter with John Peters had agitated Temmit on a number of different levels.

He seemed a decent fellow, and it was believable that his wife was the one who put the blanket upon Temmit the previous night. Time would tell, he supposed.

Temmit picked up his coffee and began to pace the little room. What did these pictures mean? Why was it so important (50,000 gold important) to a stranger that it be delivered to Temmit? The first answer MUST be that Henry Fellow was no stranger to Temmit's father...this would be how the man had Temmit's father's sketch.

This wasn't the first piece of information that Temmit had in mind that suggested that his father had abilities...some kind of magical abilities. Temmit's were obviously a birthright of some sort. But could his father have actually been able to see the future? How would such a man be caught unawares by anything, if there were the case? Too many painful thoughts crept in along that line of thinking...

For a place that spent so many years abandoned, there was certainly a lot of activity here since Temmit's return: three other people seem to have been here since just last night (for Temmit felt that it was no John Peters that was under the trap door last night...there must have been another). Temmit had been thinking that he would be comletely alone out here; the place was fairly as busy as the Marks' tavern!

He paced about the little room all night, working out thoughts and scenarios one way, then the other, and then weighing thier relative merits against one another, then moving on to other lines of thought.

When the sun started to lighten the sky, Temmit was thoroughly exhausted. He found the coffee pot empty, and he had been gripping the little crystal that was among his father's belongings under the bed. He didn't remember retrieving it, but there it was; it had occupied much of his thoughts over the last half-hand as he tried to remember it from his childhood and wondered why it might have been secreted away with his father's valuables.

He put a few more logs on the dwindling fire and sat heavily in the large chair, as he had intended to do the previous evening.

Picking up the few sketches that remained in his father's treasury, Temmit inspected them as sleep took him in and out of conciousness, and hand here, a half a hand there.

I see him spending the better part of the morning in cat naps and checking out the sketches one at a time. Then close this thread, and start a new one...I'm going to script a dream sequence after the last sketch that will start the bonding practice with Smokey. Work?

Dray

So here's my thinking:

...and my answers in a more masculine color...

1)Longer is not always better (at least, that's what I keep telling my wife). I don't want to drag this thread out to dozens of pages; I think that I'd rather close this at a "good" time (might not be right now...lemme think as I type), and open other threads as needed;

Quality is better than quantity.

2)I'm thinking that as far as the pictures (sketches) are concerned, we've already opened that can of worms here, so let us delve through those in this thread, then close;

Remainder of pictures forthcoming, it's always a pleasure to confuse Temmit.

3)Let's talk about journals in the e-mail, and then I can try to understand some of what's in that dark, twisted mind of yours and I can summarize like I do so often;

Outline of journals forthcoming in an email, I will give you the highlights of the six books and allow your own twisted mind to process the information in any way you wish.

4)That curious dull but clear crystal, I think, should warrant it's own short thread; I have no idea at this time how to handle that, but sometimes that's for the best;

It took twenty pages detailing something that resembled child-birth for Kit to bond with her crystal....not that I am accusing you for slacking...Slacker.

5)Make sure that Renee brings lots of coffee and condoms...I'm planning a party.

Birth pills exist but condoms don't....gee, GM must be a guy.

That work for you?

I live to entertain.

Dray

Temmit was no exception to the training of the Scribes house, before looking at the remaining three images he briefly reviewed the others already studied in his mind.

An image of Nalla by the backyard well.

*An image of the Warden Council Keep under siege by a military-esk Kahr'Thul with Ulstag as the leader.

*An image of some estate IN the Outlands.

*An image of the city of Our-Commons.

*An image of his mother, Nalla, and himself.

Three out of five posed speculation, but although Temmit's mind was tired, he somehow avoided the distraction of pondering these and withdrew the sixth picture from the satchel.

This next exquisitely detailed sketch by his father (OOG: I have named him Noah) was the most confusing to date. It appeared to be a drawing depicting a battle in the Outlands, the combat nearing its end. The vantage point was from high above, looking down as if the artist were the Lord Kaine himself, watching the landscape below. The blanket of Outlands Pine was continuous everywhere with a major exception; a chasm on the land and through the wood. It began from the upper left-hand corner and ended at the lower right-hand corner of the drawing. At the end of this channel in the lower right appeared to be a structure of some sort. The building, with a length extending parallel with the chasm to the northwest, was in complete ruin. Fire and smoke billowing upward from it. Many black figures throughout the wood were advancing on what appeared to be what was left of a Safe-Haven military surrounding the structure.

This image, like that of the siege depicting Ulstag at the Warden Council Keep, made no sense to Temmit. His history teachers (OOG: instructor associated with the Clergy House) never spoke of a battle beyond the Outer Rim and in the actual woods of the Outlands.

Temmit squinted more carefully at the fine graphite lines upon the parchment. What at first appeared to be ruined siege engines in the scar to the northwest of the structure on more careful review actually appeared to be ruined parts of the structure itself. And related to that observation was the fact that there were hundreds of ruined trees laying within the chasm, all pointing to the structure. Some of the ancient pines were also knocked over at the edge of the gash, and others were on fire. It was if this wasn't a chasm at all but...but some kind of gash created by the structure itself! As if the thing was flying and then crashed into the wood!

Buildings don't fly! Temmit heard his mind tell him.

(OOG: If the last line violates artistic license and copyright issues (in other words, you don't want me to cross this line yet): please feel free to delete it from this post.)

Johan

'Fly.'

The word reverberated to Temmit. It was interesting to him that so many of these drawings were created with a vantage point of being on high, looking down on the scenes. Almost as though the looker was able to fly.

Actually, more than 'almost as though'...it was definitely as though the looker was able to fly.

Temmit was starting to form an interesting set of notions about his father; he dwelled on it while he turned the little crystal in his long fingers.

Noah Jannalinus must have been gifted as Temmit was. Or rather, in much the fact that Temmit himself was, but with different talents. Even to the point of seeing the future and flying as well.

These battle scenes might as readily be something that might happen in the future. Of course, Temmit's father could also have been able to see the distant past as well. Or instead.

Communication without  speaking. What else? Why these drawings? Why the one of Temmit? What message was there to be sent? Was there hidden messages within the drawings?

Temmit drifted back to a shallow sleep while he considered these possibilities, waking a hand or so later to look at the next sketch.

Dray

The next sketch was simple.

It had no mystery.

But Temmit still stared at it for an hour.

For it was of his father Noah Janalisus.

(Last image forthcoming, you have 15 to 30 minutes to post).

Johan

it might have been that Temmit was just tired or emotionally spent, and it also might have been that he was at last coming to some grips with being alone in the world.

When he realized how late it was, he put the image aside and went to dress the rabbit that John Peters had left for him the previous night.

When once the coney was spitted and cooking on the fire, and Temmit had brewed a new pot of coffee, he settled down to his father's journals. In the back of his mind, he thought that one day, he would have to frame all of these lovely images and put them on a wall. Hopefully, Temmit would have a decent home one day.

This night, it seemed, would be made for starting to read; he also made a mental note to look for encoding strategies and decoding techniques when he returned to school. These crazy symbols must mean something, afterall. Perhaps a secret guild code?

Johan

So based upon what I see in the journals (thanks for sharing separately), I'm not seeing any real Q&A being provoked (haven't really had the opportunity to take the time to re-read all of Temmit's threads).

Shall we close this thread and move onto whatever next great adventure the summer has in store for our young sleuth?

Dray

Yes, let us end this here. I will talk to you offline to discuss what's next.

-fin